Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Building around imps is just so finnicky compared to anything else that I don't know how shardtail queen will ever measure up. You have to go with a morsel-like playstyle without any of the protections against harvest/rally that morsels have been afforded, which is especially a problem for the new Seraph.

The most powerful run I've watched with her had an impsicle, non-consume imp in a box, 3 holdover impolates, and no nonimp units. The queen just served to cycle imps faster and deal a little bit of damage before the impolates cleared everything (including seraph) out with raw spell damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Smith Comma John posted:

The most powerful run I've watched with her had an impsicle, non-consume imp in a box, 3 holdover impolates, and no nonimp units. The queen just served to cycle imps faster and deal a little bit of damage before the impolates cleared everything (including seraph) out with raw spell damage.

Did he have a bunch of Spell Weakness too? That seems like it still wouldn't get there.

A 20 Imp Imp-olate is 300 damage. Playing all 3 on all 3 floors would get you to 2700/4000 of Seraph's HP, and I can't see Imps and the Queen doing another 1300 damage in combat.

You'd also have to remove whatever blockers Seraph entered with or they would eat some of the Imp-olates.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Avasculous posted:

Did he have a bunch of Spell Weakness too? That seems like it still wouldn't get there.

A 20 Imp Imp-olate is 300 damage. Playing all 3 on all 3 floors would get you to 2700/4000 of Seraph's HP, and I can't see Imps and the Queen doing another 1300 damage in combat.

You'd also have to remove whatever blockers Seraph entered with or they would eat some of the Imp-olates.

You can pretty trivially get to that if you're abusing an endless Transcendimp

Things get really, really stupid quickly if you have one. Especially if you're playing with Wax secondary and give it burnout 1.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Avasculous posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/725510369?t=1h45m

(1h45m in if the link doesn't work right)

Imp-olate doesn't consume, so he was quickly playing 3 0-cost nukes per turn, ramping up in damage over the fight but probably averaging 200+ damage each. He also had a 1-cost inferno that helped clear out waves, but otherwise that was it. I forgot that he even set up on the bottom floor despite having Light's Gift.

e: fixed link

Smith Comma John fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 30, 2020

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How do you beat melee weakness? I haven't been able to kill this guy since the update. Stacking thorns didn't do it, stacking morsels on the divine shield eater guy didn't do it, frostbite didn't do it, huge recurring burnout minions didn't do it.

I'm only on difficulty 5, man. Some of you people seem to auto-win on anything below 10. I swear one of these should work, but it's just not happening for me.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Stealth, endless, dazes, holdover debuff cleaners, and damage shields are what I've been using to get by the new Seraph.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
The new Umbra champ feels very strong on C25 - your big tentpole Gorge unit is guaranteed to be online turn 2 and scaling up for the next couple turns with big attack buffs. Buffet solves the Umbra issue of drawing the right stuff early so you don't get run over, and it's so reliable that you can stack the rest of your deck with greedy cards. My shark had 177x3 and like 40 damage shields by the time Seraph rolled in and I hadn't taken any damage in the whole fight.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

What are people shooting for with Shardtail Queen on Cov25 against Seraph the Patient? It sorta feels like all of her upgrade paths really struggle here because they all encourage or even demand playing a lot of units on floors as often as possible.

Play with Stygian, hope to get the silence book.

Or

Get multiple endless transcendimp/armour imp and the double summon artefact, and take advantage of the buildpath that clears out imps every turn and lets you play them for free to outscale the boss.

Or

Relegate her to third floor cleanup and win with something else.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ragnar34 posted:

How do you beat melee weakness? I haven't been able to kill this guy since the update. Stacking thorns didn't do it, stacking morsels on the divine shield eater guy didn't do it, frostbite didn't do it, huge recurring burnout minions didn't do it.

I'm only on difficulty 5, man. Some of you people seem to auto-win on anything below 10. I swear one of these should work, but it's just not happening for me.

I'm a little irritated at melee weakness because it's billed as a counterpart to spell weakness, but functions completely differently. Spell weakness goes away as soon as the target takes spell damage, but melee weakness sticks around for 1 round per layer of the buff. It's also inherently imbalanced because enemies have way more health than 99% of the units available to the player. It's by far the strongest/hardest to deal with Seraph variant.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

You stack Imp-olate :getin:

Yes this is my first win with Shardtail queen.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Smith Comma John posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/725510369?t=1h45m

(1h45m in if the link doesn't work right)

Imp-olate doesn't consume, so he was quickly playing 3 0-cost nukes per turn, ramping up in damage over the fight but probably averaging 200+ damage each. He also had a 1-cost inferno that helped clear out waves, but otherwise that was it. I forgot that he even set up on the bottom floor despite having Light's Gift.

e: fixed link

Ah fair enough, thanks for the link.

I underestimated how much damage he could get on Seraph during the normal waves.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Just had an incredibly silly run (Covenant 1 though, just for grins) using the new Awoken hero with incant + stings, alongside a siren and the sap totem. Was an incredibly silly run, and at the very end my awoken champ had 7 stacks of melee weakness, but the boss had 32 stacks of sap, and I had silenced him on turn 2 with the stygian book, so he never actually got any attack boosts. So, uh, can confirm that stygian incant shenanigans can absolutely wipe out the new seraph, and that the new awoken hero is amazing for enabling that. The starting awoken cards that increase the number of cards drawn + sting spells to draw even more cards meant that I was typically drawing 10 cards per turn, and since all of my spells were absurdly cheap, I would typically be getting between 8 and 10 incants per turn of the fight at the cost of 1-2 energy.

But anyway, as far as melee weakness goes, here are some counters by clan - they're pretty similar to the list of counters I mentioned for the stealth boss, since the problem is similar:

Hellhorned: Sacrificial imps, armor stacking, powerful damage spells, ascend seraph to get him off the floor so you can summon/cast without buffing him
Awoken: High HP units that can take the hits, quick + sweep on high damage units to kill enemies faster (especially the little guys), healing spells to get the damage patched up between turns, adaptive mutation to make certain units super beefy, descend seraph to get him off the floor so you can summon/cast without buffing him
Stygian: Probably the easiest - silence to stop attack upgrades on seraph, incant for armor/health to take hits, spells to blow up the enemies, sweep to kill the little enemies, dazed, and, of course, sap in large quantities
Umbra: Damage shield can block 1-2 attacks per round without issue, if HP is high enough (shadowsiege, monstrous penumbra), can lifesteal health back too, cards to provide more damage shield, lifesteal, etc
Melting Remnant: Also has an easier time - reform units that die, wickless recruitment or resin removal to wipe out the debuff, tome gives endless to resummon units, stealth to stop enemies from attacking entirely, descend seraph to get him off the floor so you can summon/cast without buffing him (and daze him in the process!)

There's also some cross-clan shenanigans that can be pulled off. I think stygian and melting remnant have the best toolkits to solve the new seraph though. Silence is stupidly valuable, and sap/daze are really strong. Waxen can spam the crap out of stealth if needed, simply absorb the hits, remove the debuff entirely, and replace lost units, so they seem like they're pretty resilient to whatever Seraph can pull.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Sounds like they're tuning things:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Those are great changes for the most part. #1 and #2 were both things that really bugged me, so I'm happy to see those in particular.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I find it extremely funny that eaten and consumed are now two completely separate things

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Consume the rich

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
No more repeat reforming miner morsels though.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

I find it extremely funny that eaten and consumed are now two completely separate things

They even had the chance to go with "burned" instead of consumed to fit the train theme, but alas

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

pray for my aunt posted:

No more repeat reforming miner morsels though.

My immediate thought :(. I had some bonkers runs with that combo.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
New music fuckin' slaps

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Shine posted:

My immediate thought :(. I had some bonkers runs with that combo.

Repeat reforming lifesteal morsels was how I got like, half my high covenant melting/umbra wins. I think that's actually a huge nerf to that teamup.

WizWoz
Feb 22, 2007

I'm the best,
maybe
I was going for the no artifact achievement, and Oops! All Spikedrivers

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Found a fun use for the spikes little fade- paired with awoken and buffed normally at the start by constantly reforming her, then paired with the swap attack/hp spell and turned into an insane tank.

monstertrain://runresult/dbfed4e2-2645-4e56-bc40-b65b7424b72e

I didn't find any good awoken heals so I relied on soothing wax and wickless recruitment to keep her alive during the seraph fight. Was doing 500 damage per enemy attack by the end

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Got around to giving the beta a shot, quick first impressions:

Shardtail Queen: Great when paired with Melting Remnant, doesn't seem to synergize super well with any of the other factions. Seems like you need a Transcendimp or two and a way to recycle them to really shine. Most of the paths seem pretty even, but you probably want at least one level in the one that eats imps to clear space. As a secondary, it pairs well with Melting Remnant again, but most of the other factions seem to have better uses of their space than Queen's Implings.

Wyldenten: Probably the strongest of the new champions. I went full Incant with my first run, but all his paths seem super useful and work with just about any faction. As a secondary, Rootseeds also works much better with other factions than Restore, since they aren't quite as healing dependent as the Awoken.

Solgard: Seems like you want at least one level in Frostbite and one in offensive Shard. Phased seems kinda eh - doesn't synergize well with the Frostbite build, and not great at keeping Solgard alive for the offensive Shard build. Forgone Power also seems to be much better than Frozen Lance - cheaper, deals more damage over time, and can discard Offerings.

Primordium: Could probably be useful, but I can't figure out how to get very far in with them. Umbra were already a very slow faction whose long build-up time was offset by having a very strong champion who could hold the fort for a while, and without that I'm not sure how you're supposed to get anywhere with them. Also, Plink is garbage.

Little Fade: All the paths seem to be 'pick the least terrible option', which is not exactly what you want in a champion. Primitive Mold is pretty nice though, since early on there won't be that many units to reform, so the 'random' part isn't too much of a downside.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 3, 2020

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Inadequately posted:

Primordium: Could probably be useful, but I can't figure out how to get very far in with them. Umbra were already a very slow faction whose long build-up time was offset by having a very strong champion who could hold the fort for a while, and without that I'm not sure how you're supposed to get anywhere with them.

I like it for exactly that issue- since you are going to draw your primary gorge unit turn 1 or 2, promordium guarantees that it will start eating ASAP. Then again I rarely picked monstrous on Umbra so that could just be different styles of play at work here.

quote:

Little Fade: All the paths seem to be 'pick the least terrible option', which is not exactly what you want in a champion. Primitive Mold is pretty nice though, since early on there won't be that many units to reform, so the 'random' part isn't too much of a downside.
Yeah not a huge fan of little fade's variants. Even if you don't get mileage out of the champion (I think most of the time you will just use her for some buffs on your other units or as an OK unit on secondary floors) the reform card is great if you have a deck that's thin on units. Really helps for any remnant strats that revolve around constant reforming.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Sep 3, 2020

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Inadequately posted:

Primordium: Could probably be useful, but I can't figure out how to get very far in with them. Umbra were already a very slow faction whose long build-up time was offset by having a very strong champion who could hold the fort for a while, and without that I'm not sure how you're supposed to get anywhere with them. Also, Plink is garbage.

Plink with +spell power is pretty solid. 11 damage to 2 random targets (or 22 to one) stays relevant (if not great) throughout the game, which is as much as you can hope for from starter cards. I prefer it to the other Umbra starter and Regen at least.

quote:

I've found the buff the floor path to be pretty good. It's really easy to recur her with the starter card and throw her out every round since she costs 0 and 1 capacity. Stacking her buff on Draffs gets crazy quickly, and after a few reforms she gets pretty monstrous stats for 1 capacity herself.

Starting with her and the 2x Extinguish triggers relic was one of the easiest Cov25 runs I've had.

The +damage and spikes one might be good if she got even a modest health boost or if Sweep enemies/bosses didn't exist.

I haven't tried the Endless one. The ramping cost seems pretty risky when it's so easy to just reform the other variants over and over.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Looks like they pushed the expansion to the live branch!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Primordius seems really bad.

He might be ok if you could guarantee having Retch.

e: The new music is nice

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 3, 2020

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I've seen people real low on Phased Solgard and I don't get it. I have 4 Cov25 wins with Solgard now, and Phased has been my first pick 99% of the time. Having a 35/35 body early lets you take on a lot of the early challenges safely and also allows you to be selective about your unit choices. You also get to choose when to pop him out of his bubble, and occasionally you don't actually want to do it as soon as possible.

I also like taking Draw as the first gem with any Solgard variant but especially when starting Phased, as it makes it more tolerable if you end up going Phased 2. I've gone all the way to Phased 3, done Phased 2/Frostbite 1, and Phased 1/Dire 2, and they all can work fine and basically just depend on what your deck is building toward more than anything.

I was actually real down on Solgard at first, too, but now the squid is my favorite champion in the game, whereas I still can't get a Shardtail win for the life of me.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

Primordius seems really bad.

He might be ok if you could guarantee having Retch.

e: The new music is nice

every time they touched primordium in the beta was to nerf the hell out of it, so I wouldn't be surprised if they went too far

I had two good runs today with primordium, one with emberdrain + superfood/stalwart, and one with full aggressive edible and a largestone animus of will soloing everything. The other two runs with it were umbra/melting and I got dunked in the trashcan

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
imp queen shardtail (the one that kills imps to nuke the floor) + melting with primitive mold was my first run of the patch and it was hilarious, just constantly spewing 5 imps on the bottom floor who would instantly turn into a sweeper

Avasculous posted:

Plink with +spell power is pretty solid. 11 damage to 2 random targets (or 22 to one) stays relevant (if not great) throughout the game, which is as much as you can hope for from starter cards. I prefer it to the other Umbra starter and Regen at least.

the problem with it i just ran into is that if you get unlucky and you don't get any other good morsel cards, you can't fall back on the standard umbra play of "buff the lifesteal-on-gorge guy sky high and let him solo everything" strategy because you don't have any morsels to feed him other than primordium because you can't reliably kill things lategame with plink even with spellpower

i agree with you as a secondary though

President Ark fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 4, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Just did a Shardtail Queen Imp Parade III victory. Only Cov 4 but I'm not that great in general.

Gotta say Imp Parade III seems almost a detriment unless you have a good chunk of Imp sacrifice like I did. Otherwise you end up with an Armor Imp that just clogs up your floor. Imp Parade II works oh so very well with a rage deck though if you can spin one. Shardtail Queen plus a Branded Warrior with multistrike on the first floor did wonders with the never ending Rage producing Fledgling Imp speedbumps. Oh and, well, this one disgustingly obscene card I made:

With the Railhammer artifact that became 58 armor.

3am
Jul 15, 2012

...like pen to paper at three o'clock in the morning.
Sometimes MT just wants you to win. I had an HH/Awoken run going last night that was so disjointed, I nearly died in the third fight. I felt shame and a lingering sense of despair. Then the game gave me the 5x cavern reward, an artifact that had a 50% shot at applying dazed to enemies, an artifact that gave my pyre 5 pts for each consume card, an artifact that gave me a 50% chance of turning a consume card into a discard and an artifact that had a 50% chance of doing a couple points damage to enemy units entering the train. Things suddenly became comical. I still managed to nearly screw it up - my pyre had to kill the last mini-boss and Seraph- but the game obviously dug in its heels and said, “Today, 3am, you shall be victorious. Whether you like it or not.”

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
I have been stuck on C19 forever and I feel stuck for good. I can easily get up to the last boss but what gets me every run now is not being able to kill all the trash mobs. I always have my boss killer unit ready to go but some trash always slips by and my core gets trickled down. I feel like the game most of the time does not give me enough damage to kill them all, but I know some crazy players can clear at this level every time. My favorite duo is Umbra and Awaken, am I missing some easy strat?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Something like a vent with 10+ and holdover would solve your problem, or trample or multistrike buff for your heavy hitter. Generally try to get your heavy damage first, multiple light hits second. The gorger that heals/deals 10 for each consume with a morselmaker/master on the top floor is your friend too. Holdover (or just a lot of) secret passage can let you split a group of enemies up so you can kill the low hp trash before the heavy hitters hit your line and lets you spread your own units out and then push them all into one row for the boss fight.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Post update feels really hard.

I was clowning C1 for fun, after getting almost all C25’s cleared.

Now, I lost 3 in a row at A1 post patch. The new Seraph is a nightmare, with his melee return. And I can’t seem to get a groove going with the new champions. Shard tail queen feels like you have to multi class to get imp benefits. And some of the new cards are solidly meh. Queens imp doesn’t scale well enough, and +2/draw 1 is not strong, even with the +2 incant champ.

Also, +1 cost for double stack stone feels real bad.

I’m glad I’ve got A25 already unlocked,

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

ToxicToast posted:

I have been stuck on C19 forever and I feel stuck for good. I can easily get up to the last boss but what gets me every run now is not being able to kill all the trash mobs. I always have my boss killer unit ready to go but some trash always slips by and my core gets trickled down. I feel like the game most of the time does not give me enough damage to kill them all, but I know some crazy players can clear at this level every time. My favorite duo is Umbra and Awaken, am I missing some easy strat?

Post some links of your runs, I would guess not enough AoE/crowd control.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

I feel like a substantial fraction of my runs are decided by how many multistrike stones I see at my merchants of steel, and how quickly

Sometimes I have to keep visiting mostly useless merchants to pick one up, so I get stronger more slowly. If I give up on getting it then I'll probably die to double heavies or seraph's giant hp pool; giving yourself 2x damage scaling AND two hits is just so good

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Another big thing I see that hangs up players is always slamming the optional objective for bonus loot. Some of those things just end runs completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Always take the optional trial, especially if it's guaranteed to end your run. You should almost always take them unless it's a hard counter to your deck and will probably end your run, the extra gold and other rewards tend to be important. This does not count the fight before Seraph.