Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

My wife has expressed an interest in getting a new blender. Is the goon consensus on blenders still "get a Vitamix you coward"?

Very happy with our refurb blendtec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Aren't all of those Belgian?
I fear maybe all there is is Belgians. The classic waffle house waffle seems to have fallen out of favor.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My go to is to scour thrift stores looking for waffle irons that have cloth insulation on the cord. However my most recent waffle iron is a square cuisinart that I found on the ground in the parking strip in front of my house one day. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's in production anymore because all I can find on their website is Belgian. Goldman Belgians, first they ruined Africa, then they ruined waffles!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...6K4UIOHIRSO3RU4

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

That's the one I'd recommend, too. The griddle function is typically not that useful, but using it for grilled cheese is good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

torgeaux posted:

Aren't all of those Belgian?

They're in the "compromise" category of Belgian waffles with medium sized 5x5 grids

My Waring Pro is the old round Belgian style with bigger 3x3 grids, comparable to old Belgian irons that do 4x4 or 4x5 rectangles

Classic regular waffles seem to be 6x6, which have fallen out of style with higher end brands for whatever reason.

That Black & Decker should be fine for $55 if you want 6x6 grids. I grew up with a similar B&D and it was a good time

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 17, 2020

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Those shallow waffles are just pancakes that are lying. Belgian4lyfe

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've adopted a neglected cast iron pan. There's some light rust in a couple spots and some burnt on grease (not serious, I can scrape it off with a fingernail). What's the best way to rehabilitate it? I was thinking of scouring it with steel wool, but not sure if that's too rough.

Follow-up to this question: I finally got around to giving the pan a good scrubbin' and it looks great. Not even any pitting where there was surface rust. Only oversight is that I forgot it has a wood (teak) handle. So how the heck do I season this thing? Will the handle survive several 30 minute stints in the oven at 200 C? Other option is seasoning on the stove-top but its a gas stove, so almost impossible to distribute the heat evenly and I think it might be too hot in any case.

E: Tried wrenching on the handle. There doesn't appear to be any way to screw it off. It's probably the only pan handle in my kitchen that isn't slightly loose :v:

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 23, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A quick Google says that if the handle doesn't come off you should do it on the stove. Now you know why the previous owner neglected it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
an option, perhaps:

lower the temp to 175 C (which is what I see recommended anyway)

wrap the handle in several layers of crumpled aluminum foil, not too tightly (so there are air pockets in the foil) but not too loosely (so that there's no oven air getting directly to the handle).

I did this once to set polymer clay attached to plastic tubing and managed not to melt the tubing (though it was only at 135 C for 15 minutes).

if you do this thing, I'd suggest a test run without seasoning... 10 or 15 minutes, just to see if the wood is getting messed up.

(also maybe don't do this thing at all. :whitewater:)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Recommendations for fridge/freezer shelves, bins, or other organisation systems?

I've been buying more stuff in bulk to minimise the number of trips to the stores/orders from online sellers/whatever, and so I've got a lot more cryopacked/vac sealed portions of frozen meat protein, vac sealed veg, and delitainers of cooked stew/soup/stock/whatever than I used to keep on hand in the Before Times.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Fruits of the sea posted:

Follow-up to this question: I finally got around to giving the pan a good scrubbin' and it looks great. Not even any pitting where there was surface rust. Only oversight is that I forgot it has a wood (teak) handle. So how the heck do I season this thing? Will the handle survive several 30 minute stints in the oven at 200 C? Other option is seasoning on the stove-top but its a gas stove, so almost impossible to distribute the heat evenly and I think it might be too hot in any case.

E: Tried wrenching on the handle. There doesn't appear to be any way to screw it off. It's probably the only pan handle in my kitchen that isn't slightly loose :v:

I've seen the wet towel + foil method used for seasoning carbon steel woks with wooden handles in the oven, you could try that. (though most guides haven't kept it in the oven longer than 30 minutes).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Recommendations for fridge/freezer shelves, bins, or other organisation systems?

I've been buying more stuff in bulk to minimise the number of trips to the stores/orders from online sellers/whatever, and so I've got a lot more cryopacked/vac sealed portions of frozen meat protein, vac sealed veg, and delitainers of cooked stew/soup/stock/whatever than I used to keep on hand in the Before Times.

I would like to know the answer to this too

The popular Fridge Binz have feet that get stuck in wire shelves

Cambros have lips that take up too much space when you’re trying to maximize space usage

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I will double up on my ramshackle recommendations by saying that I just put a plastic storage drawer into my fridge and regular bins for like... pencils into my freezer. Cheap, easy, somehow more robust that the original Frigidaire plastic (at least so far).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Looking at Vitamixes again, the Explorian line advertises self-cleaning, but their product video just shows someone putting warm water and a little bit of dish soap in the blender and running it. Does anyone here have one, and if so does it actually have a separate self-cleaning function?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

C-Euro posted:

Looking at Vitamixes again, the Explorian line advertises self-cleaning, but their product video just shows someone putting warm water and a little bit of dish soap in the blender and running it. Does anyone here have one, and if so does it actually have a separate self-cleaning function?

That's the whole self clean deal.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

Every Vitamix is marketed that way. In my experience it does work pretty well, but the important part is not letting anything dry and cake on.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
This is how I have cleaned every blender I've ever owned. I don't think this is some fancy vitamix feature.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Any recommendations for a tofu press?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

Any recommendations for a tofu press?

A brick?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do you mean for making tofu from scratch, or for pressing existing tofu

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
The latter.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Brick in aluminum foil

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I wrap it in a clean tea towel then put it between two plates and put a cast iron pan on top and that's fine, if I'm really feeling wild I'll add like a few cans of canned goods on top of that

You really definitely don't need a special tool to press tofu imo

If you do make tofu from scratch then let's talk, a cheese press will do but you can also make do with two nesting takeout/tupperware containers with holes cut in them

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Not to sound super bougie or pompous but my tofu press with a drain and spring makes much better tofu than when I was pressing it with a towel. When you're pressing it with a towel it's still wrapped in a wet towel. With tofu it's really important to get every drop of moisture out if you want it to get crispy, especially on the exterior where the towel would be touching.

You might be able to get the same effects as a tofu press with the towel method if you do it for 5x the time. I also didn't try other methods like steaming. The towel draining method is probably why most home cooks hate tofu, though.

xtal fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 31, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.amazon.com/YARKOR-Press-Easily-Remove-Delicious/dp/B07XLBQRDL/

This isn't the one I got but it's similar enough to the one I got in Canada.

Also, it's not a tofu unitasker, you can use it to press eggplant for eggplant parm, too. Basically anything spongy that you're about to fry.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I cannot for the life of me make tofu correctly at home. Maybe I should try a press. I love tofu when someone who is good at cook tofu makes it, and when it isn't some kind of crappy substitute for meat. I suck at it though.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Should I buy a Convection Oven or an Air Fryer? I don't have an oven or a dishwasher and I need something portable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

excellent bird guy posted:

Should I buy a Convection Oven or an Air Fryer? I don't have an oven or a dishwasher and I need something portable.

Sorry I'm just very curious why you need a portable oven I'm not trying to poo poo post also everyone is going to say get a convection oven.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry I'm just very curious why you need a portable oven I'm not trying to poo poo post also everyone is going to say get a convection oven.

I don't have an oven, although I might in the future have an one. I want to get really into making pizzas. I just have a lovely $40 hot plate thing now and need some variety.

e: I guess I asked this already I didn't realize. Um guess I'll make sure it's not the type that tosses everything around if I get the fryer, I guess a 4qt ninja would do.

excellent bird guy fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 31, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

excellent bird guy posted:

I don't have an oven, although I might in the future have an one. I want to get really into making pizzas. I just have a lovely $40 hot plate thing now and need some variety.

It's a noble quest and I think your path is to buy the largest toaster oven (convection) that makes sense for your kitchen. I still think you might be disappointed with the results because you won't be able to use a pizza stone and I have to think the air flow will be poor in places.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

VelociBacon posted:

It's a noble quest and I think your path is to buy the largest toaster oven (convection) that makes sense for your kitchen. I still think you might be disappointed with the results because you won't be able to use a pizza stone and I have to think the air flow will be poor in places.

I've never even heard of a pizza stone. I'll lurk up the pizza thread to see what's up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Get the convection Oven, they tend to have better capacity than air fryers, basically do the same job and can do other things

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Get this. It's the best toaster oven on the market.

It's not cheap, but it's the closest thing you're going to get to an actual oven with a compact footprint. It's also a convection oven, so you've got the "air" part of the air fryer in there.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Really the only reason to own an air fryer is if you're gifted one.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Air fryers excel at reheating lovely pre-made frozen foods. They're better at that than a convection oven. Beyond that, convection oven wins.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I visit my mom once every week to cook and eat with her. Because of coronavirus I only hang out in her back yard. An air fryer is easier to carry from the kitchen to the back yard than a convection oven, especially with her arthritis. Checkmate, convection oven fans.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Re: Tofu Press Chat:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Tofu-Press-Removes-Texture/dp/B007LLGMG2

It's probably the only single purpose kitchen gadget I own and you can pry it from my cold dead hands. "You really don't need a special tool to press tofu" is only said by people who have never owned this thing. Do you NEED this tool to press tofu? No. Will you be glad you have it every time you use it? Yes.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 31, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

You're not going to be making pizza in an air fryer if that's your primary concern for it.
Maybe you could make pizza rolls or bagel bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Fart Car '97 posted:

Re: Tofu Press Chat:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Tofu-Press-Removes-Texture/dp/B007LLGMG2

It's probably the only single purpose kitchen gadget I own and you can pry it from my cold dead hands. "You really don't need a special tool to press tofu" is only said by people who have never owned this thing. Do you NEED this tool to press tofu? No. Will you be glad you have it every time you use it? Yes.

Hmm, I definitely never thought I needed a press, but now I'm questioning myself.

I dont usually fry my tofu, will I still see an improvement? Is there an advantage to the kind that screws down vs the tub ones with elastic?