Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kitchner posted:

I wouldn't paint the weapons the same colour as the should pads personally. That blue is really bright and I think less is more.

Personally I really like the squad markings that are "canon" (i.e. Red and black for the intercessors and grey hunters, grey and black for reivers, yellow and black for wolf guard etc). If you're going for that blue instead though I'd leave it as the shoulder markings and just do the weapons in black. If you have a frost sword or something I'd try to paint it so it looks distinct from the frosty shoulder pad look too. Maybe more of a frost white just to differentiate.

One thing I want to test is doing a chainsword like normal (IE mostly metal) but have the teeth be frosty.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Heck yeah go for it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah that rules, totally gonna try that out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does anyone have a good guide for magnetizing minis

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Drill holes in both sides, put magnets in holes, and make sure not to muck up the polarization.

That's kinda it. I go with the biggest magnet that can physically fit just for the most secure hold. If you have a specific mini in mind let us know.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

does anyone happen to know a good guide on how to paint armor to look dusty/sandy?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Are you looking for something more involved than just very careful drybrushing?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Anyone have any idea whether the Horus Heresy era forge world heads (they are also sold as "head upgrade packs" under the 40k section) work well with the chaos space marine kit or whether they look a bit small considering our conversation about how these new CSM models are a bit up scaled?

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 29, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Kitchner posted:

Anyone have any idea whether the Horus Heresy era forge world heads (they are also sold as "head upgrade packs" under the 40k section) work well with the chaos space marine kit or whether they look a bit small considering our conversation about how these new CSM models are a bit up scaled?

Chaos Space Marine with a Night Lords head. They're fine.

For a much better example of this, go back to Hixon's post on page 2165 of this thread in which he does the same thing but with the added benefit of ForgeWorld shoulder pads and Mark III backpacks. Looks way better. Plus they're painted.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Take a bit of sprue, stock magnet on either end with opposing polarities facing out, paint the ends blue and red and use this to check your polarities.

Also figure our your plan for magnetising your mini and always use the same polarities for body/arm/weapon so everything remains swappable.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Stephenls posted:

Chaos Space Marine with a Night Lords head. They're fine.

For a much better example of this, go back to Hixon's post on page 2165 of this thread in which he does the same thing but with the added benefit of ForgeWorld shoulder pads and Mark III backpacks. Looks way better. Plus they're painted.

Awesome, cheers dude

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Z the IVth posted:

Take a bit of sprue, stock magnet on either end with opposing polarities facing out, paint the ends blue and red and use this to check your polarities.

Also figure our your plan for magnetising your mini and always use the same polarities for body/arm/weapon so everything remains swappable.

I just did my first few bits of magnetising and the other thing that I found helped was mark the top magnet on the stack with a Sharpie then everytime you take a magnet remark. Helps you see polarity at a glance.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

EdBlackadder posted:

I just did my first few bits of magnetising and the other thing that I found helped was mark the top magnet on the stack with a Sharpie then everytime you take a magnet remark. Helps you see polarity at a glance.

I used to do that but found the stick far better. Also lets you handle the magnets easily into their slots.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-posting

richyp posted:

Some totally loyalist Tempestus Scions

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Finished my first ever 500 for a slow grow, my first game went hilariously well, running 20 warriors allowed me to reanimate 12 and then 13 of them and then deleting tac marines.

Starting the next 500 tommorow :3:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Nice! Reanimation Protocols can be brutal in small games where it's harder to finish squads off entirely

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah that rules, totally gonna try that out.

I tried it out and think it came out decent

Transfers are a lot more annoying than I remember them being. Still unsure how I feel about how to layer the white on the shoulderpads.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Micro Set and Micro Sol are your savior when it comes to transfers. I would do the transfers last, but then go back and paint some chips and marks over them with your blue to blend them into the shoulderpad better. If you want them to stand out that is, if you want them to look more sunken into ice like you have now, I think that's a cool idea also!

I like the color scheme though, it reads great as a Space Wolves successor.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cinara posted:

Micro Set and Micro Sol are your savior when it comes to transfers. I would do the transfers last, but then go back and paint some chips and marks over them with your blue to blend them into the shoulderpad better. If you want them to stand out that is, if you want them to look more sunken into ice like you have now, I think that's a cool idea also!

I like the color scheme though, it reads great as a Space Wolves successor.

Yeah! That was the idea at first. I thought it would be cool to make them a successor company called the Frost Wolves or something and draw runes that say "FROST" into stuff. I may do a layer of white then the transfer then a little tiny bit of drybrushing over it so it'll look like it's in the ice but the detail wont be washed out.

I'm going to get some micro set and sol because I'm so not dealing with that again. The hardest part was figuring out where to cut on the transfer for it to lay flat on the curved surface. But I did a matte varnish, put the decal on, then varnished again.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think that Chainsword looks way better

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm going to get some micro set and sol because I'm so not dealing with that again. The hardest part was figuring out where to cut on the transfer for it to lay flat on the curved surface. But I did a matte varnish, put the decal on, then varnished again.

Yea they 100% solve that cutting issue, Micro Sol somewhat dissolves the decal so that it will flex and conform to whatever surface you're applying it to. Also you usually want to use gloss varnish first when applying the decal, then you can spray a matte back over that once the decal is in place and dried.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Nice! Reanimation Protocols can be brutal in small games where it's harder to finish squads off entirely

I was happy with it! I did this thing I think was legal where I pulled the squished ones in melee to essentially fall back and then set up ten models who could fire the new ap - 2 weapon straight into salamander faces

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cinara posted:

Yea they 100% solve that cutting issue, Micro Sol somewhat dissolves the decal so that it will flex and conform to whatever surface you're applying it to. Also you usually want to use gloss varnish first when applying the decal, then you can spray a matte back over that once the decal is in place and dried.

Awesome, didn't know that. I was going to make these dudes part of the blackmane company but the stormwolf decal was the one that worked so guess that's what these guys are going to be.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mr Owl posted:

I was happy with it! I did this thing I think was legal where I pulled the squished ones in melee to essentially fall back and then set up ten models who could fire the new ap - 2 weapon straight into salamander faces

Thats theoretically legal, but should be pretty difficult to do. Even on 35mm bases which are just over an inch wide, he should be able to get at least 1 person within 1" to make a charge, then move 3" around the side of your unit to get even more of his guys in range, then consolidate 3" toward you, which means basically to be out of engagement range you need to have removed 4" of space between your unit and all his dudes.

If he had a particularly killy unit he could kill like 18/20 warriors who were like spread out pretty wide or something you could end up out of engagement range and that's perfectly legal

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Took a shot at this Terminator Captain out of the Start Collecting box. Missed a few details but fairly pleased with him using the Chapter colors I’m working out. I need to kick this bad habit of rushing as soon as I feel like I’m almost done though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

^burtle posted:

Took a shot at this Terminator Captain out of the Start Collecting box. Missed a few details but fairly pleased with him using the Chapter colors I’m working out. I need to kick this bad habit of rushing as soon as I feel like I’m almost done though.

This dude looks awesome. Pop on a little wash here and there and baby you got a stew going.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/90percentgeek/status/1300040571369684994?s=19

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The pretty base is a nice touch

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://wargamesatlantic.com/blogs/news/the-return-of-iron-core

Looks like Wargames Atlantic is handling the re-release of the old Dreamforge sets. I remember those being recommended a bunch for kitbashing and count as units so I thought I might as well bring this up here.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

The pretty base is a nice touch

Yeah that owns

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

For all of the various Ork buggies, are you able to assemble them without the Orks, or do they come partially attached to the seats?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

If that isn't how the Rainbow Warriors Primaris look, it should be.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Xenolalia posted:

does anyone happen to know a good guide on how to paint armor to look dusty/sandy?

Goonhammer just linked an excellent guide to battle damage that might be helpful.

I don't know a good guide offhand but you probably want to read up on how to use weathering pigments.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok let's all take a moment to recognize Clawtopsy as a goon of their word who delivered on the raffle prize and went way beyond by turning it into a prize package!

Portuguese shoes?

No it's 40k things!

Badass art cards / Tiny posters for work!

Dice and a badge!

The Necron bases and a bag full of Sector Mechanicus bases! And what's that? In the corner?

It's one of the most over-the-top goofy-cool 40k items ever, the servo-skull tape measure!

Then it's Necrons and some more swag! Carefully packaged layer by layer! (I didn't want to upset the packing so the photos end here. )

My friends was confused to learn that he won a contest he didn't enter, but he was thrilled with the new Necrons. He's been back on a huge 40k kick, and responsibilities were preventing him from picking up the new set. But fate and Clawtopsy had better plans for Phil!

I held onto the servo skull and the swag, and the thread got series of really wholesome 40k friendship stories. This was a rare case where everybody wins, and I'm happy to have been a participant, and I'd love to thank Clawtopsy again for making this all possible.

I didn't know your friend, but I'm sorry they're not with us. Doing good works in someone's name is a great way to memorialize them, and your gesture transmuted plastic into some genuine happiness for me, my buddy, and everyone else involved. Thanks again for doing all of this.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xenolalia posted:

Low effort way is to drybrush with an off-white like ushabti bone or zandri dust.

Proper way is to use weathering pigments and washes. Look up "tank weathering" on YouTube. Those techniques will apply to 40k vehicles and space marines as well.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Cross posting from the mini painting thread

Verisimilidude posted:

First ork boyz squad done! Lots of fun to paint but I’m ready to work on something a bit different.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Sab669 posted:

For all of the various Ork buggies, are you able to assemble them without the Orks, or do they come partially attached to the seats?

I believe they come detached.

Verisimilidude posted:

Cross posting from the mini painting thread

These look great!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Sab669 posted:

All of the ones I've assembled come unattached. The only ones I haven't assembled are the Squig Buggy and the Boomdakka.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just wondering. We not going to do a Ninth edition thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty sure no one has been arsed to do one, which is why it hasn't happened yet. :v: