Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Yamaha could make a CARB-compliant street tune that meets emissions goals but runs like dogshit; their fueling is known for being pretty bad already. Just keep selling the "offroad only" GYTR ECUs/bluetooth harnesses/exhaust packages so people can un-gently caress the fueling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Yamaha could make a CARB-compliant street tune that meets emissions goals but runs like dogshit; their fueling is known for being pretty bad already. Just keep selling the "offroad only" GYTR ECUs/bluetooth harnesses/exhaust packages so people can un-gently caress the fueling.

The fueling on the first couple of years of FZ-FJ09 was so bad I don't know how they weren't too ashamed to release the bike like that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My CARB-compliant FE has excellent fuelling stock, as far as I'm aware Yamaha's figured theirs out as well?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've owned 3 fuel-injected Yamahas made in two different decades and ridden 5 or 6 other ones, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has had digital throttle syndrome to varying degrees. Without remapping they are drat near impossible to ride smoothly at small throttle openings without abusing the clutch.

edit: by comparison Suzuki's FI is like butter. My other bikes are way better, too. Yamaha can't get their fueling right.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 29, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suzuki have by far had the best mix of response/subtlety of any efi bikes I've ridden, when taken as a group.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Elviscat posted:

My CARB-compliant FE has excellent fuelling stock, as far as I'm aware Yamaha's figured theirs out as well?

that runs counter to almost everything i read about them, i havent had it long but the fe501s seems to run hot as gently caress stock. 2 red lights and my fan is blowing air so hot i can feel it through my riding pants

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

The thing I don’t get about CARB is that they even prevent me from shipping an exhaust to the state, but literally after it leaves the showroom floor there is zero check on anything. Like cars at least have SMOG which is an emissions test and a visual inspection for all CARB compliant components. Just seems so weird to me to not even have any sort of inspection on bikes. I’m not exactly complaining per se, but it’s just odd to me, especially with how little motorcycles really account for in the grand scheme of the state and pollution.

Let me order a dang exhaust!!!

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 30, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

I've owned 3 fuel-injected Yamahas made in two different decades and ridden 5 or 6 other ones, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM has had digital throttle syndrome to varying degrees. Without remapping they are drat near impossible to ride smoothly at small throttle openings without abusing the clutch.

edit: by comparison Suzuki's FI is like butter. My other bikes are way better, too. Yamaha can't get their fueling right.

Can confirm via my large sample size of 1:

The MT-07 (fuel injected) is poo poo in 1st or 2nd at low speeds. The loving clutch feels completely binary which is really poo poo for fine feathering etc, and its bite point is way too far out too. So hard to ride smooth at low speeds.

By comparison, the Bandit 600 (carbed) is smooth like butter.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Agree that Cali needs to get its poo poo together on inspecting bikes. Motorcycles account for 10% of the nox pollution in the state, despite being something like 2% of all miles driven in the state.

It's me, the pipe nazi, back to throw all of you into full system prison for crimes against my asthma.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Razzled posted:

that runs counter to almost everything i read about them, i havent had it long but the fe501s seems to run hot as gently caress stock. 2 red lights and my fan is blowing air so hot i can feel it through my riding pants

My 250 is fine, fan normally kicks on when riding single-track. I know a lot of FE owners of all displacements, none of them have have issues with the fueling. Cooling system/running hot is almost a wholly different issue, and as long as it's not overheating it shouldn't matter.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
yeah i dont doubt you, probably a lot of :goonsay: internet engineers bitching about fueling. but i think i'm still gonna plan to pick up an Athena GET and pipe at some point to pick up the last 10 horsepower or so and hopefully reduce operating temps so the pipe doesnt melt my saddlebags.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

True, although for the life of me I can't understand why Yamaha doesn't slap some lights and DOT tires on the YZ450FX ala Husky's FE series, the street legal stuff on the FE's is not above the level of "lovely kit." There's tons of aftermarket sumo and road legal kits for the 450, the market's there, and everyone loves them. I'm seeing a lot of people switch to FE501s because once you throw a kit on a 450 they're the same price, but less hassle, that's for DS, Husky sells a sumo, but I almost never see them around.

Yeah, particularly now that Honda has done it. Although it requires a huge detune and they’re iirc 25 lbs too heavy, folks still seem to be buying them. I’d have happily gotten a wr450 instead of a 450 exc-f if they made them street legal.

Razzled posted:

I have the jd tuner and it’s fine. Another friend got a tunable ecu (maybe get? I forget) and likes it a lot but honestly it doesn’t seem much (if at all?) better.

Elviscat posted:

My 250 is fine, fan normally kicks on when riding single-track. I know a lot of FE owners of all displacements, none of them have have issues with the fueling. Cooling system/running hot is almost a wholly different issue, and as long as it's not overheating it shouldn't matter.

My 450 is cooler with more seat of the pants-Dyno power with the jd tuner. More importantly, it stalls significantly less in single track. All in all it’s a change I would 100% recommend. I can’t speak for anyone else or their experiences but it made a big difference. It also changed my mpg from a little over 50 to 30-35 depending on how much I’m on the throttle.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
1. If anyone ever asks about it, I tell them my Rex is named Yoshi, because it's green, fast, and a dinosaur. (Would be even better if it had a Yosh can instead of the Over Racing one but I'm not buying a new exhaust for a joke)

2. A dude in a truck gave me a thumbs up in traffic today, and then the ok sign. I had my sunvisor down so it's p unlikely he meant it as a white supremacy thing unless he saw the tiny little crescent of honkey flesh, but it still gave me pause

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TheBacon posted:

The thing I don’t get about CARB is that they even prevent me from shipping an exhaust to the state, but literally after it leaves the showroom floor there is zero check on anything. Like cars at least have SMOG which is a nemesis one test and a visual inspection for all CARB compliant components. Just seems so weird to me to not even have any sort of inspection on bikes. I’m not exactly complaining per se, but it’s just odd to me, especially with how little motorcycles really account for in the grand scheme of the state and pollution.

Let me order a dang exhaust!!!

It's also apparently illegal to ship/sell kangaroo leather to/in California. I didn't know this until today. This law seems to be largely ignored. It seems so arbitrary.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol california

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Toe Rag posted:

It's also apparently illegal to ship/sell kangaroo leather to/in California. I didn't know this until today. This law seems to be largely ignored. It seems so arbitrary.

:wtc: I just don't even understand that one at all. Is that some PETA poo poo?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheBacon posted:

It's certainly odd, so I looked it up, and apparently the ban dates from 1971, predating PETA by 9 years. There was a moratorium on the ban from 2007, which expired in 2015, but I don't know if it was extended.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Australia is keen to get rid of the ban. Their trade minister was quoted as saying "Oi, this ban is bloody uncalled for! It's bloody roo leather, I scraped five off my ute on my way here, bloody yank cunts!" to echos of "too right, Bruce!" in Parliament.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is kangaroo leather just lighter than cow, or does it also have improved abrasion resistance?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Aren't roos like rats in Aus? Why wouldn't they allow that?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

Is kangaroo leather just lighter than cow, or does it also have improved abrasion resistance?

Supposedly better abrasion resistance. I think the MotoGP leathers are roo.

Coydog posted:

Aren't roos like rats in Aus? Why wouldn't they allow that?

No. Some are common, some are endangered. Some farmers claim they are pests, but I'm not prepared to take their word for it. Kangaroos aren't farmed, their meat and hides are taken from wild populations. I have no idea what the current state of them is after the catastrophic bushfires earlier this year.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Plus rats can’t kick your rear end. Roos are fukken swole tho.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Roo leather is supposed to have higher abrasion/tearing resistance than cow, for a given thickness of leather. I suppose if you had stuff made of roo at the same thickness as cow, you could slide a lot farther before sanding through it. But I think it's used more to provide equivalent performance in a lighter more flexible garment.

Think of it like the difference between aluminum or titanium and steel. (Without the drawbacks of those, like aluminum's lack of a fatigue limit or how hard Ti is to work.)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I've never had a kangaroo leather riding suit, but I've had gloves with 'roo leather palms and it is a massive difference in thickness and tactile sensation/control feel vs cow leather/Pittards/etc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

Australia is keen to get rid of the ban. Their trade minister was quoted as saying "Oi, this ban is bloody uncalled for! It's bloody roo leather, I scraped five off my ute on my way here, bloody yank cunts!" to echos of "too right, Bruce!" in Parliament.

:perfect:

Mister Speaker posted:

Jazzzzz posted:

I've never had a kangaroo leather riding suit, but I've had gloves with 'roo leather palms and it is a massive difference in thickness and tactile sensation/control feel vs cow leather/Pittards/etc

Having crashed in gloves with similar levels of quality in both cow and roo flavours, I'd rather the roo. It feels paper thin and flimsy, like you're wearing surgical gloves almost, but I've used it as braking material at 100km/h and it holds up well. Cow in similar circumstances wears noticably more.

Which means roo's slipperier than cow, that's physics right?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

TheBacon posted:

Kangaroos are known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I've owned my KTM for 5 years and ridden it constantly as a commuter and somehow didn't notice until today that there is an index finger switch (passing switch) to flash high beams on front of the the clutch side clip on. :psyduck:

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 31, 2020

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Yuns posted:

I've owned my KTM for 5 years and ridden it constantly as a commuter and somehow didn't notice until today that there is an index finger switch (passing switch) to flash high beams on front of the the clutch side clip on. :psyduck:

DO NOT USE THAT SWITCH.

It’s load bearing. Your bike will fall apart if you do.

:itisaktmjoke:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It'll blow his mind when he realises Japanese bikes have those too but they work more than once.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It'll blow his mind when he realises Japanese bikes have those too but they work more than once.

For whatever reason a lot of Japanese bikes lose their flash-to-pass switches in US trim

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jazzzzz posted:

For whatever reason a lot of Japanese bikes lose their flash-to-pass switches in US trim

My MT09 still has it at least, it's v useful!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

yeah lol my R6s never had them

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

TheBacon posted:

My MT09 still has it at least, it's v useful!

useful for anything in particular? :confused: I only use mine to flicker at people who cut me off but that's not "useful"

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Yes, passing switches tend to be in EU spec bikes but not US spec bikes. You'd think it'd be easier to just have them in all bikes but apparently not.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

FBS posted:

useful for anything in particular? :confused: I only use mine to flicker at people who cut me off but that's not "useful"

I use it (in combo with blinker) to let people know I am going to pass them on a two lane road, which is basically 90 of my riding. Sometimes it results in people letting off the gas and moving over a bit to make it extra easy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yuns posted:

Yes, passing switches tend to be in EU spec bikes but not US spec bikes. You'd think it'd be easier to just have them in all bikes but apparently not.

I'll bet this is down to some esoteric regulation dreamt up in the seventies, like the time they had to retrofit lovely sealed beam headlights into perfectly good cars because the appropriate legislation was extremely short-sightedly written at a time that projector headlamps weren't a thing.

Same reason everything that comes from America is half-covered in warning stickers, which often pertain to extremely specific and unlikely occurrences thanks to some lawsuit or another.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I'll bet this is down to some esoteric regulation dreamt up in the seventies, like the time they had to retrofit lovely sealed beam headlights into perfectly good cars because the appropriate legislation was extremely short-sightedly written at a time that projector headlamps weren't a thing.

Same reason everything that comes from America is half-covered in warning stickers, which often pertain to extremely specific and unlikely occurrences thanks to some lawsuit or another.

It's not, plenty of USDM bikes, including the vaunted SV650 have a flash-to-pass.

It's just not useful at all because the US lacks proper driver's education and licensing schemes, so when you flash your high beams at someone they'll:

A) do nothing and continue to match speed with the car in the right lane.

B) smash the go pedal on their bro-truck, leaving you in a cloud of diesel soot, forget what they were doing, slow back down to 10 under, then get mad again when they see your motorcycle (which has not varied its speed) and brake check you/try to run you over/shoot you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can tell what bikes are global bikes and what ones are specifically usdm by that switch most of the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

It's not, plenty of USDM bikes, including the vaunted SV650 have a flash-to-pass.

It's just not useful at all because the US lacks proper driver's education and licensing schemes, so when you flash your high beams at someone they'll:

A) do nothing and continue to match speed with the car in the right lane.

B) smash the go pedal on their bro-truck, leaving you in a cloud of diesel soot, forget what they were doing, slow back down to 10 under, then get mad again when they see your motorcycle (which has not varied its speed) and brake check you/try to run you over/shoot you.

What about headlights on/off? Almost every modern thing I've seen has had headlights you can't turn off, you have to go back to late 80's-early 90's models to find one, yet JDM bikes seem to have kept them for much longer, right into the 00's on some bikes.

I hear you about it doing nothing though, the driving culture here is very similar so if someone is flashing their lights it is only ever because they're angry at you, or you have something hanging off your car or whatever, or they're warning you about fash. The whole idea that you should always move to the leftmost lane you're able to as a general rule is totally foreign to most people, the notion that you should move out of the way for someone because they asked you to is sheer madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Headlights always on when bike's on -IS- a USDOT mandate, early 80sish I think?

Out in the boonies sometimes people flash their brights to tell you the pigs are speed trapping ahead.