Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

anakha posted:

Mitakeumi, Ikioi, and Tamawashi mid-Fusion Dance.

They're gonna get SO BIG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Kenning posted:

Real life, I wish there was some mechanism to buy kensho that we were able to follow. One banner is only $600! We could definitely sponsor a goon banner.

According to this, sponsors are expected to buy at least one kensho per day of a basho, so assuming there's no way around that, that shoots the cost up to $9000.

I wonder, were kensho a thing in pre-modern times? Like, instead of corporations, did they have feudal lords and such sponsoring sumo back in the 1700s and showing family emblems?

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 24, 2020

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Any updates on the boys who ran away or the stolen gear with memento?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pakled posted:

According to this, sponsors are expected to buy at least one kensho per day of a basho, so assuming there's no way around that, that shoots the cost up to $9000.

Question: if you did manage to blow $9k on a set of banners, who would you put it on? I think Hak or last match is pretty boring. I’d want to put mine on any match that features a newcomer to the division (unless they are some hotshot prospect that is already getting respect) or a Juryo visitor because they’d probably appreciate it more and could use the money. If I had to pick a guy, I’d go with Kagayaki, who I’ve always had a soft spot for because of his old shiny gold mawshi and he fits the bill of a guy that doesn’t get much love.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

Question: if you did manage to blow $9k on a set of banners, who would you put it on? I think Hak or last match is pretty boring. I’d want to put mine on any match that features a newcomer to the division (unless they are some hotshot prospect that is already getting respect) or a Juryo visitor because they’d probably appreciate it more and could use the money. If I had to pick a guy, I’d go with Kagayaki, who I’ve always had a soft spot for because of his old shiny gold mawshi and he fits the bill of a guy that doesn’t get much love.

Chiyomaru. Each banner would just be a different picture of him sleeping.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Pakled posted:

I wonder, were kensho a thing in pre-modern times? Like, instead of corporations, did they have feudal lords and such sponsoring sumo back in the 1700s and showing family emblems?

I don’t know the answer to this BUT there were rich people in the Edo Period who were not samurai or nobles. Like there were the first department stores in the Edo Period and lower ranked samurai who had nothing to do and not much pay would sometimes be in debt to rich merchants. So it wouldn’t surprise me if there were ads for like Mitsukoshi in the form of sponsorships.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

This is almost certainly too late to affect the very next tournament, but looks like another spot just opened up in Juryo. 25 year old Kizakiumi announced his retirement after just 3 years in professional Sumo.

Edit:

Oh, here's the reason:

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1298905255648923648

Brut fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 27, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Aw, that's a bummer. Feel bad for him.

And yeah, this won't affect the banzuke, since it gets written immediately after the basho. This just means there will be makushita visitors to juryo to make the daily schedule work.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

Aw, that's a bummer. Feel bad for him.

And yeah, this won't affect the banzuke, since it gets written immediately after the basho. This just means there will be makushita visitors to juryo to make the daily schedule work.

Yeah, 25 is a bad age to have to retire due to chronic pain. Hopefully getting out helps him recover so he can actually have a decent quality of life.

But unless someone else is gone, juryo should be clean since he empties out a spot, but that would be balanced out by the guy going up every day to take Abi’s spot. That all goes out the window once the tourney starts and other injuries hit of course, but Day 1 juryo should just have one less match than usual but no visitors.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Always sad to see someone go out of their chosen sport young because of injury. Fortunately he has a degree so has something to fall back on.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

Yeah, 25 is a bad age to have to retire due to chronic pain. Hopefully getting out helps him recover so he can actually have a decent quality of life.

But unless someone else is gone, juryo should be clean since he empties out a spot, but that would be balanced out by the guy going up every day to take Abi’s spot. That all goes out the window once the tourney starts and other injuries hit of course, but Day 1 juryo should just have one less match than usual but no visitors.

Ah right, I forgot Abi is gonna be juryo ranked but not fighting.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

bessantj posted:

Fortunately he has a degree so has something to fall back on.

that's good.

i expect the answer to be 'lol, no', but does sumo (as an org) help guys in his situation in any way?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kenning posted:

Ah right, I forgot Abi is gonna be juryo ranked but not fighting.

I doubt they're gonna make the rankings drop any steeper than normal, 3-12 from M5e shouldn't land him in Juryo just yet.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

that's good.

i expect the answer to be 'lol, no', but does sumo (as an org) help guys in his situation in any way?

Not from the NSK, but some of the luckier ones might get some help from the community. I've heard that the stable sponsors will sometimes hire dudes at their companies and stuff like that, but unless they make the pro ranks, there's no pension or anything official.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

pseudodragon posted:

Not from the NSK, but some of the luckier ones might get some help from the community. I've heard that the stable sponsors will sometimes hire dudes at their companies and stuff like that, but unless they make the pro ranks, there's no pension or anything official.

yeah just as i thought and some extra info. thanks.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Just to expand a little:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/01/24/sumo/sumo-101-koenkai/

If you're lucky, koenkai connections can land you a job or help set you up with a restaurant, which is a relatively common thing after intai.

If you gently caress off your koenkai, like Akebono did with his marriage post retirement, you can quickly have no support at all.

Staying on the good side of your oyakata can help too. There was a making up between Harumafuji and Takanoiwa after the latter retired. I wish I could find the article, but Takanohana essentially told Takanoiwa to go gently caress himself after retirement and he was left with no support. I think Hamfu had been reaching out for reconciliation for a while, and Takanoiwa needed a helping hand.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kizakiumi suffering his career ending injury. His onsite treatment consisted of laying there for awhile and walking himself out.

https://twitter.com/tachiai_blog/status/1299290088732491781?s=21

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

The dohyo doesn't need to be that high off the ground. Sumo would improve greatly if it weren't for "we've done it this way for 800 years."

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/BODYINTEGLATION/status/1299301399155453952

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Now try it without moving your legs.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

banzuke's out!

terunofuji up all the way to m1e, daiesho got the extra sekiwake slot, ikioi got demoted and ichinojo's at the bottom m17e slot despite losing the exchange match

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh gently caress Ichi’s back

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Ichi owns.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

And a whole bunch of guys are down in Juryo. (Except for the ones who'll be filling out makuuchi with Abi's absence and Ichinojo's lopsided rank.)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Hoshoryu coming up should be interesting. He’s been talked up as the next great Mongolian star for awhile now so it should be fun to see if he can live up to the hype.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Kenning posted:

Ichi owns.

:emptyquote:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Tochinoshin's back up to M4W!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Liquid Communism posted:

Tochinoshin's back up to M4W!

That’s the biggest shocker for me. Let’s hope the dust in his knees arranges itself into a useful shape for another basho.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thauros posted:

banzuke's out!

terunofuji up all the way to m1e, daiesho got the extra sekiwake slot, ikioi got demoted and ichinojo's at the bottom m17e slot despite losing the exchange match

Alright, let's see what's going on

Ura up to Makushita #5, with a good Sep basho say 5-2 or 6-1 he could be back up to salaried level before 2021.
Fukai going from Sandanme #67 to Makushita #41, it'll be his third basho in September. Be interesting to see how he does with such a big leap in rankings.
Hokuseiho a man who has yet to lose a bout in a basho (he has only been in one mind) has risen from Jonokuchi #18 to Jonidan #14. His heya is Miyagino which, of course, is the home to Enhō, Ishiura and Hakuhō.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 31, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

bessantj posted:

Hokuseiho a man who has yet to lose a bout in a basho (he has only been in one mind) has risen from Jonokuchi #18 to Jonidan #14. His heya is Miyagino which, of course, is the home to Enhō, Ishiura and Hakuhō.

Dude is 200cm tall, 158kg and only 18! Jesus, is Hakuho over his small Rikishi thing and just wants someone to clobber dudes?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm obviously super happy about Takayasu doing well and climbing back up somewhat but I'm trying to keep it in check until he can put together two or three good basho. My gut tells me he's just going to be a middling maegashira until his various joints give out.

Absolutely nothing would give me more pleasure than to be wrong and watch him dominate again.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I'm obviously super happy about Takayasu doing well and climbing back up somewhat but I'm trying to keep it in check until he can put together two or three good basho. My gut tells me he's just going to be a middling maegashira until his various joints give out.

Absolutely nothing would give me more pleasure than to be wrong and watch him dominate again.

Yeah, Takayasu is one of my faves, but unless he goes the route of sitting out a tournament or two to really heal up and make a run, I don’t know if his body can hold together long enough to make a real run. And he’s probably too old to go full Terunofuji and still have time to make it back before age takes its toll so just hanging around and hoping for the best is probably his best option.

I could see him having a Terunofuji like performance where an injury drops him low enough in the rankings where his skill can still let him dominate the bottom rankers even if he’s not physically 100%.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Banzuke for Fantasy purposes:

Y/O:
Y - Hakuho, Kakuryu
O - Asanoyama, Takakeisho

S/K:
S - Shodai, Mitakeumi, Daieisho
K - Okinoumi, Endo

M1-5:
M1 - Terunofuji, Takanosho
M2 - Hokutofuji, Tamawashi
M3 - Myogiryu, Terutsuyoshi
M4 - Yutakayama, Toshinoshin
M5 - Kiribayama, Takarafuji

M6-10:
M6 - Takayasu, Kagayaki
M7 - Ryuden, Aoiyama
M8 - Tokushoryu, Wakatakakage
M9 - Enho, Onosho
M10 - Sadanoumi, Kotoeko

M11+
M11 - Chiyotairyu, Kotoshogiku
M12 - Kotoshoho, Kaisei
M13 - Meisei, Ishiura
M14 - Tobizaru, Abi :rip:
M15 - Shimanoumi, Shohozan
M16 - Kyokutaisei, Hoshoryu
M17 - Ichinojo

(sorry for any misspellings)

And the template:

Pick three from each category.

Y/O: Pick 1/Pick 2/Pick 3
S/K: Pick 1/Pick 2/Pick 3
M1-5: Pick 1/Pick 2/Pick 3
M6-10: Pick 1/Pick 2/Pick 3
M11+: Pick 1/Pick 2/Pick 3

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 1, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Ready for that ambling ichinojo-aioyama bout

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Banzuke for Fantasy purposes:

Y/O:
Y - Hakuho, Kakuryu
O - Asanoyama, Takakeisho

S/K:
S - Shodai, Mitakeumi, Daieisho
K - Okinoumi, Endo

M1-5:
M1 - Terunofuji, Takanosho
M2 - Hokutofuji, Tamawashi
M3 - Myogiryu, Terutsuyoshi
M4 - Yutakayama, Toshinoshin
M5 - Kiribayama, Takarafuji

M6-10:
M6 - Takayasu, Kagayaki
M7 - Ryuden, Aoiyama
M8 - Tokushoryu, Wakatakakage
M9 - Enho, Onosho
M10 - Sadanoumi, Kotoeko

M11+
M11 - Chiyotairyu, Kotoshogiku
M12 - Kotonosho, Kaisei
M13 - Meisei, Ishiura
M14 - Tobizaru, Abi :rip:
M15 - Shimanoumi, Shohozan
M16 - Kyokutaisei, Hoshoryu
M17 - Ichinojo

(sorry for any misspellings)

And the template:

Y/O:
S/K:
M1-5:
M6-10:
M11+:

You're a hero.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

edited to have three of each category, first time sorry:

Y/O: Asanoyama / Hakuho / Kakuryu
S/K: Mitakeumi / Shodai / Endo
M1-5: Terunofuji / Tamawashi / Hokutofuji
M6-10: Aoiyama / Wakatakakage / Kotoeko
M11+: Meisei / Ichinojo / Kaisei

Gerund fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 31, 2020

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
think enho is going to have a good basho this time? i think the other rikishi might have him figured out. :(

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Helianthus Annuus posted:

think enho is going to have a good basho this time? i think the other rikishi might have him figured out. :(

I will never not back my favorite tiny man, through thick or... slightly less thick.

Edit: getting my picks in

Y/O: Asanoyama / Kakuryu / Hakuho
S/K: Endo / Mitakeumi / Shodai
M1-5: Terutsuyoshi / Takarafuji / Takanosho
M6-10: Enho / Kotoeko / Wakatakakage
M11+: Kotonosho / Ishiura / Meisei / Hoshoryu

QuasiQuack fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 12, 2020

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Guess we doing this now

Y/O: Asanoyama / Takakeisho / Kakuryu

S/K: Daieisho / Shodai / Mitakeumi

M1-5: Takanosho / Toshinoshin / Terunofuji

M6-10: Wakatakakage / Enho / Takayasu

M11+: Kyokutaisei / Ichinojo / Hoshoryu

Foehammer007 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hi new friends! Pick three from each category, not just one :)

I updated the banzuke post to suggest this.