Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Humphreys posted:

I found it extremely surprising he didn't know about Scatman before the request.

And oh boy this gonna be a trip seeing they have a LOT of hits:

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here and say that The Oils were kind of a one hit wonder in the USA. Obviously that isn't the case here in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phlegmish posted:

It's kind of crazy, I recognize almost every one hit wonder song he covers, but also in the majority of cases (such as Rock Me Amadeus) I did not know who the artist was (or my assumption was wrong), and in some cases I didn't even know the title.

Now that I've seen most of his videos, I consider myself to be something of an expert on the subject of popular music, able to inappropriately insert music trivia in nearly any conversation

I only know who performed Rock Me Amadeus from The Bloodhound Gang mentioning it on one of their albums.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Manky Tungeon posted:

Just found out that loofahs grow on trees. I always thought they were a dried out sea sponge... wtf

Huh, another punch on my "things you learned in this thread" card, please.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Manky Tungeon posted:

Just found out that loofahs grow on trees. I always thought they were a dried out sea sponge... wtf

Welp, I just learned that "loofah" isn't just another word for "sponge". And also that it's a plant.

You weren't wrong about the sea sponge thing, though. People do harvest them to use as things to wash with.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I had no idea those were weird cucumbers and I have used them for years. I also thought they were some dead sea creature (Which isn’t better considering I scrub my rear end with them).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manky Tungeon posted:

Sponges grow in the sea. Loofahs don't.

Cherube Goldberg
Nov 15, 2014
I thought loofahs were made of plastic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cherube Goldberg posted:

Yeah I thought they were some kind of synthetic material

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

They frequently are, just like sponges are rarely actual sponges

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I finally learned what some lyrics that were completely incomprehensible to be. From Rush's Limelight

My Brain posted:

"Living on a fish island
Caught in the camera eye
I have no heard to try
I can't pretend a stranger
Beyond the weighted fringe

Rush posted:

Living in a fish-eye lens
Caught in the camera eye
I have no heart to lie
I can't pretend a stranger
Is a long-awaited friend...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

You weren't wrong about the sea sponge thing, though. People do harvest them to use as things to wash with.

My housemate went on a trip to the beach ages ago and found a dead sea sponge and decided to bring it back so she could wash with it, and kept using it for several weeks even though it was falling apart and dropping chunks of gross brown sea sponge all over the place

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phlegmish posted:

He is very much not white, unless he was wearing brownface the many times he's shown his skin in a video. He also lives in NYC. Not that I don't still agree with you.

That's not a big problem to me, though. The appeal of Todd is precisely that he focuses on popular music in a broad sense, rather than a specific genre. I've learned so much about songs that I never really had any interest in before. In the case of some artists he confirmed what I've basically always thought, and in other cases I've had to completely re-evaluate them.

e: also Dropkick Murphys are extremely a suburban white kid band, so that was a bit of a weird point to make (source: I listened to them as a suburban white kid)

Not necessarily a dig since I'm relatively white suburban with my tastes as well, but I'm also brown.

And there's plenty of bands that I used to only be aware of one radio hit and not their extensive library that isn't even obscure, and I've noticed here's made some goof ups like that.

I love his channel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cherube Goldberg posted:

Some are a plant and some are the plastic puffs. The plastic ones are significantly better at cleaning you and being sanitary.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just found out tonight that the song “Betty Davis Eyes” is by a lady named Kim Carnes and not Rod Stewart. Also that the lyrics were “Betty Davis eyes” and not “never say goodbyes”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just found out tonight that the song “Betty Davis Eyes” is by a lady named Kim Carnes and not Rod Stewart.

:lmao:

e: Anyway it's Bette Davis Eyes after the, you know, actress Bette Davis. She had eyes.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah I thought they were some kind of synthetic material

Every thing Gaia gave us has been synthesized and now people don't know the original existed in the first place.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

:lmao:

e: Anyway it's Bette Davis Eyes after the, you know, actress Bette Davis. She had eyes.

I also just found out that Bette Davis spells her name with an “e” and not a “y” at the end of her first name.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

I just found out tonight that the song “Betty Davis Eyes” is by a lady named Kim Carnes and not Rod Stewart.

had a good chuckle at this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Polka hair is called a bob cut in English.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Polka hair is called a bob cut in English.

God I love Finland.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fringes are called bangs in the US.
That confused me for a long time as a kid reading books by American authors or TV shows.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I like Dropkick Murphys but I had not realized they had any actual hits. I guess one of their songs charted after being used in The Departed and that's the only reason people that didn't go through a punk phase growing up know who they are.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I only know their song 'Barroom Hero' (Still not sure if that's two words or not) because I was in a WoW guild called Bar Room Heroes. Good times. Drunken times.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

rodbeard posted:

I like Dropkick Murphys but I had not realized they had any actual hits. I guess one of their songs charted after being used in The Departed and that's the only reason people that didn't go through a punk phase growing up know who they are.
assure you they have a sizable following of bro types who are about as punk rock as my left tit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

assure you they have a sizable following of bro types who are about as punk rock as my left tit

Erin go bragh idiots

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Erin go bragh idiots

-posted from san bernadino, california

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Broke: Erin go bragh
Woke: Tiocfaidh ár lá
Bespoke: Slán abhaile

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

-posted from san bernadino, california

Brandin’ Iron go Braugh.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A table fan and a large jar of paprika powder are not a good combination.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I figured out a random math trick with percentages and felt smart the other day. I’m sure there are better ways, or brain geniuses have known about this for a while, but oh well.

If you want to find a percent of a number, you just do the following -

e.g.: 96% of 8

1. Take the difference between 100 and 96 (4)

2. Multiply it by the number you want the percent of (8*4 = 32)

3. Subtract it from the number times 100 (800-32 = 768)

4. Re-add your decimals (7.68 is 96% of 8)

You can do all of that in quick mental math, and it works the opposite way for smaller percentages.

e.g. 4% of 8

1. Take the percent itself (4)

2. Multiply it by the number you want the percent of (4*8 = 32)

3. Add your decimals (0.32 is 4% of 8)

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I dunno, if I wanted a rough idea of what it's like on Mars on the cheap this sounds perfect.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

I dunno, if I wanted a rough idea of what it's like on Mars on the cheap this sounds perfect.

Be that as it may, my food was left unbepaprikad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

I figured out a random math trick with percentages and felt smart the other day. I’m sure there are better ways, or brain geniuses have known about this for a while, but oh well.

You can do all of that in quick mental math, and it works the opposite way for smaller percentages.

e.g. 4% of 8

1. Type .96*8 on your phone calculator.

I will not be fooled into doing math

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

e.g. 4% of 8

Bold of you to assume I can math adequately enough to do that.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Captain Monkey posted:

I felt smart once upon a time when it occurred to me that any number squared is the previous number squared plus that previous number and the number I'm trying to square.

Like 13² = 12²+12+13

It was useful for a while, because there's a lot of random squares I knew. Like I knew 6² was 36 from dice games, but didn't know 7².

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know them all off hand up to 12 because we had a times tables competition in grade... 3?

Can't remember factoring or the quadratic formula or any of the stuff from later, but 12 times 12 is 144.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
13 squared is easy, 169 dude!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you want to know 4% of something I'm going to do the mental math to give you 5% and you're going to like it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What if you're a sneeze fetishist

Baron von Eevl posted:

13 squared is easy, 169 dude!

This sounds like you're placing an order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Be that as it may, my food was left unbepaprikad.

I'm imagining paprika that makes tailored suits.