Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

This is sort of a problem endemic to the 4X genre and grand strategy games in general. Most of the ways to win at those kinds of games involve either literal or cultural genocide (even many "diplomatic" victories imply this), and those that don't mostly involve leaving for another planet/ascending to a higher plane of existence so it's not like you're sticking around to be anyone's pal. So, discussing gameplay in a serious manner is often going to end up leading into blithely discussing digital genocide, at least when the topic is conflict with the various alien races. Part of this seems to be the implicit understanding that, because that's just how 4Xs tend to work, we're probably going to have to completely clear some of these guys off the board eventually. This is why I prefer to take it to a comedic extreme, so it's funny rather than tragic.

Yeah agreed. Which is why I think doing more of an RP thing will lighten the mood a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Question: is there a way of seeing how costly a refit would be from the ship designer?

Nope. There used to be, but it wasn't ported into C# and is on the TODO list. The easiest way to look at things is to turn on spacemaster, instantbuild a new yard & tool it for your ship, then look at the 'refit details' button that comes up when you set it up to do a refit. You can change the class design underneath the yard and the costs will update after you refresh it. But the refit cost display is also buggy :bang: (the displayed costs won't sum to the total, the 'Refit Overhead Cost' line item is wrong)

Refit rules:
- The new tonnage must be within 20% of the old tonnage . This is the only hard limit. Everything else is possible, just potentially extremely expensive
- Refit cost in build points is cost of the new components * (1 + size change penalty + 0.20)
- New component cost is the normal sticker price of all the new components. You get no credit for any removed components, they are trashed
- Size penalty is Absolute change in tonnage / original tonnage

For example, taking an Aretmis and replacing the 2 railguns with three new lasers :
- Adding 3 new lasers at 22BP each is 66BP
- The increased tonnage requires an extra 3.4BP of armor
- The lasers take more crew to run, so there's an extra 10BP of crew quarters (no credit for the small crew quarters that were removed)
- The tonnage changes from 4110 tons to 4419 tons, so the size penalty is (4419-4110)/4110 ~= 7.5%
- Putting it together, the refit cost is (66+3.4+10) * (1 + 0.075 + 0.2) = 101.2BP

If the final cost to refit to some class is <=20% of the cost of the whatever a yard is tooled for, you can build it from the same yard.

e: also, be aware that these designs date from an earlier armor generation. If you "Copy Design" from them, you will get something that continues to use High Density Duranium armor until you push the "Update Armor" button. A new design will be Composite Armor. You may or may not want to update the armor in a refit, it will add a bunch of cost to replace all the armor, but the new armor has a better strength:tonnage ratio.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 30, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

C# Aurora often feels like it was five steps forward followed by four steps backwards.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks. One more hint: you may need to uncheck the "obsolete" checkbox on designs to get them to show up.

Here is an ultra-boring starter: Gladius E:

quote:

Gladius E class Fast Attack Craft 868 tons 39 Crew 119.7 BP TCS 17 TH 139 EM 0
8022 km/s Armour 1-8 Shields 0-0 HTK 5 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 3
Maint Life 8.51 Years MSP 63 AFR 12% IFR 0.2% 1YR 2 5YR 23 Max Repair 23.2 MSP
Lieutenant Commander Control Rating 1
Intended Deployment Time: 6 days Morale Check Required

Kodo Turbines Nuclear Pulse Fighter Engine EP46.40 (3) Power 139.2 Fuel Use 840.36% Signature 46.4 Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres Range 0.5 billion km (17 hours at full power)

Lazarev Kinetics 10cm Railgun V20/C1 (1x4) Range 16,000km TS: 8,022 km/s Power 3-1 RM 20,000 km ROF 15
Kodo Electronic Division Beam Fire Control R16-TS7000 (1) Max Range: 16,000 km TS: 7,000 km/s 38 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Lee-Park Improved Pressurised Water Reactor R1-PB20 (1) Total Power Output 1 Exp 10%

Lalbhai & Akkiyana Active Search Sensor AS14-R20 (1) GPS 360 Range 14.5m km Resolution 20

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

This replaces the engine, fire control, and drops the surprisingly heavy missiles to lighten it up. Refit cost is 100 bp:

quote:

Engine 69.6 bp
FC 5.6 bp
Overhead: 20 bp
Size: 10 bp

(There is a 102 bp one that keeps the missiles but replaces the armor, but it also slower at 7km/s)

... It takes 119.7 BP to build one new, so it's 83.5% of the cost. Engine replacements aren't cheap.

(There is probably better things to be done with the "size" BP, at least)

For fun, you can build it on the same yard tooled for one of these (Gladius EG):

quote:

Gladius II class Fast Attack Craft 984 tons 46 Crew 130.7 BP TCS 20 TH 139 EM 0
7076 km/s Armour 1-8 Shields 0-0 HTK 6 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 5
Maint Life 7.17 Years MSP 61 AFR 15% IFR 0.2% 1YR 2 5YR 31 Max Repair 23.2 MSP
Lieutenant Commander Control Rating 1
Intended Deployment Time: 6 days Morale Check Required

Kodo Turbines Nuclear Pulse Fighter Engine EP46.40 (3) Power 139.2 Fuel Use 840.36% Signature 46.4 Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres Range 0.4 billion km (17 hours at full power)

Poseidon-Hyperion 12cm Railgun V20/C2 (1x4) Range 16,000km TS: 7,076 km/s Power 6-2 RM 20,000 km ROF 15
Kodo Electronic Division Beam Fire Control R16-TS7000 (1) Max Range: 16,000 km TS: 7,000 km/s 38 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Lee-Park Improved Pressurised Water Reactor R1-PB20 (2) Total Power Output 2 Exp 10%

Lalbhai & Akkiyana Active Search Sensor AS14-R20 (1) GPS 360 Range 14.5m km Resolution 20

... which also upguns it and modernizes the armor. You can actually refit from Gladius to this for 118.7 cost -- AKA 90.8% of new.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 30, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The new jump point makes raiding into Voss a lot more practical. Getting there via Caliban is a little longer than via Accatran (17bkm vs 12bkm), but the jump point is much more centrally located:

On the old route, about 40% of the total distance was getting from the jump point to the inner system and none of our military ships can round-trip that without bringing tankers into Voss
On the new route, anything but a Gladius can easily get to and from a tanker lurking in deep space in Caliban.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Right, in-character discussion:

Re: Proposed operations
FOR NAVY INTERNAL DISTRIBUTION ONLY

A number of voices have gone up in favour of exploratory raids into the Voss system. However, the motivations for such a raid as well as the exact proposed mission parameters vary wildly between various proponents. The following is an attempt to outline the various streams of thought, and to sketch some of the tradeoffs involved.

Motivations:
The Kooken are the first, and most clearly threatening, alien civilisation encountered by humankind. They have destroyed several of our vessels and installations, and represent a significant military threat on our doorstep. Three motivations for operations into the Voss system predominate.
A: A desire for up-to-date and exact intel. We have observed a large naval force during the original exploration of Voss, but this was over a decade ago. Our current navy is built around much of the intel we obtained at this time, but to assume our opponent has rested on their laurels is dangerous. We need to know what we’re up against. The downside here is that any incursions into their space may result in us finding their navy beyond our power to stop, and provoked into action by said incursion.
B: A desire to obtain technology. If we can secure wreckage of modern Kooken warships in Terran-controlled space this would be an enormous boon to our military technology, as well as giving us intel more precise than remote observation ever could. This path required either waiting for further incursions into our space, recently lacking, or the provoking thereof by crossing the jump point their way. The downside here, of course, is that such a provocation should only draw a small force our way, and not a force capable of overwhelming ours. Such precision is a tall order even against other human factions, nevermind an alien culture we have little insight into, with unknown military capabilities.
C: A desire to inflict damage. The Kooken represent a direct military threat to our nation, and any move to limit that threat by direct destruction of military hardware is seen as a move in the right direction. The downside here, given the previous two points, should be obvious.

The key questions we should ask ourselves then, how does the danger of not having enough information weigh against the threat of provoking an unmanageable response? Is finding an answer to that question worth the risk of finding out the hard way it’s not to our liking?

Fake edit: Going through caliban means not having an established military base to work from, and also we'd be passing right by a second foreign power. It's definetely an interesting proposal, but it seems high-risk high-reward to me.

Also, if we do carry out a raid into Voss we should totally call it Operation Beehive.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Imma vote C.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
The Zeus gunboat is an unfortunately anachronous design with the introduction of the Avalanche. It is too slow to follow the Battleship into battle and any attempts to match speed with an Avalanche through refit cripples it.

Therefore I propose not merely a redesign but a repurposing of the Gunboat. No longer will it rush into battle at close range, but instead act as a long range support ship to cripple powerful enemies so that the Avalanche can mop them up when it arrives.

This refit replaces the previous engines with a single engine larger engine that gives it increased speed and more importantly extended operational range. It updates the armor to the lighter modern standard as well as increasing crew berths to accommodate an equal deployment time to the Avalanche. The cavernous maintenance supply space was removed and replaced with additional engineering spaces, ensuring that the ship will have plenty of spare parts while suffering fewer failures.

The largest change, as I'm sure you will notice, is the complete removal of all previous weaponry aside from the gauss cannon point defense and replacing it with a massive battery of 70 Size 4 box launchers. The size 5 box launchers previously included served no purpose as we had no missiles making use of the additional size. Furthermore the energy weapon armament was simply too slow and inaccurate to face modern threats. Tests were conducted with standard launchers, such as those found on the Bomb Truck corvette but the increased weight of the launchers meant a more expensive, heavier ship that was unable to meet refit standards even with fewer total missiles. In order to reflect this change of ordinance it should be noted that the missile fire control and active sensor were replaced with versions to make full use of our current generation of Macrotis Anti Ship Missiles.

This incarnation of the Zeus II may not be a Gunboat in name, but it is more than capable of Gunboat Diplomacy. A seventy missile salvo is nothing to sneeze at, and if all three ships are refit and firing together a devastating 210 missile salvo should be more than enough to give the Kookens a bloody nose before the Avalanche falls upon them. It is not an especially flashy design, but it meets the standards of a refit and modernization and dispels any doubts that the Zeus won't serve a purpose on the modern battlefield.

Edit:
After further consideration as it works as an equal refit please consider 'gently caress it, why not?' version of the Zeus II, the Zeus II Heavy:

Who needs point defense when you can pack nearly twice the firepower into the same frame? A shipyard retooled for the Zeus II can produce and refit the Zeus into both the Zeus II and the Zeus II Heavy.

Zeus II Heavy - because the best defense is a good offense.

Lando131 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 31, 2020

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ladies and gentlemen, there can be no doubt that the Union of Terra is on precarious ground. Our reach is short and our grasp shorter still. We are surrounded on three sides by hostile alien powers, with only a handful of unexplored jump points and gravitational anomalies near Earth. To make matters worth, the Union Navy is tasked with defending the homeworld and two unproductive colonized systems with a bare thirteen modern vessels.

This cannot stand.

At every turn, the Kooken navy has menaced us, threatened us, blown up unarmed vessels in unprovoked acts of violence—even inside our own territory!

This cannot stand.

At the other end of space, the Juno Bugs have been just as unpleasant, just as hostile. The only reason their ships haven't been parading through Sol to taunt us is that they are several jumps farther from our territory and likely have not found us yet.

This. Cannot. Stand.

I agree with you, officers of the Committee. The time for us to take our destiny into our own hands has come. Yet, I must urge caution, my brothers and sisters in arms. Our navy, proud as it is, is yet small and untested in battle. Our knowledge of our enemies' capabilities is nearly nonexistent. And, worse, our ability to replace losses is scant. We cannot afford to start a fight in hostile territory. However, that does not mean we should not fight. We have every reason to believe that the new Avalanche-class battlecruisers are superior, one-on-one, to anything the Kooks can throw at us; faster, tougher, and better-armed. If we can lure the Kooks into an ambush, an unwise jump point assault, we can crush their response force and get some real answers. I concur with the proposal to provoke a small attack from the Kookens, with a large fleet laying in ambush on the Makho's Folly side of the jump point.

I would like to suggest, however, to delay that operation until we have had time to refit our most-outdated combat vessels to something approaching modern standards. To wit, I have a few designs for the Committee's consideration:

(see designs later in the thread)

---

OOC discussion:

Voting C on the raid, provided we get the military modernized to at least some degree first.

Also, if I got a response I missed it, so Virtual Russian, please dwarf me and make me immune to retirement. I'd prefer to be a captain of one of the Avalanches, if such a slot is available (they're my design after all!), but if not that's fine.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 2, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Zeus is hard to do anything with since it would have to use the 50,000 ton yard, which probably has better things to do than retool away from Avalanche to upgrade the 3 existing ships.

Also, I think Virtual Russian veto'ed mass box launchers since they are a UI mess. If you want to do anything besides shoot every tube at one target you have to click them one-by-one.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Foxfire_ posted:

Also, I think Virtual Russian veto'ed mass box launchers since they are a UI mess. If you want to do anything besides shoot every tube at one target you have to click them one-by-one.
Ah, oops! I didn't realize that. In this case though clicking 'FIRE EVERYTHING' is entirely the point. Especially for the Heavy version. Unfortunately box launchers are so weight efficient that it's hard to justify anything else, mostly on account of magazine weight.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

Zeus is hard to do anything with since it would have to use the 50,000 ton yard, which probably has better things to do than retool away from Avalanche to upgrade the 3 existing ships.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It's a bit of a shame since I actually really like my Athena design. We really need a long-range sensor and the other ships are too small to really mount one.

quote:

Did he? I'll wait for confirmation, but that kinda ruins my Accatran, too. Without the box launchers it's just a slightly-bigger Bomb Truck. I suppose I could throw both problems at each other...

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

I can make a Zeus with 40 30% reduced launchers and 3 reloads worth of ammo if I remove the Gauss PD, but I'm not going to submit it because a refit costs more than a fresh build and that's just silly.

Lando131 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 31, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Foxfire_ posted:

I'll deal with them. Just expect less than efficient use at times. Who can say no to 130 missile alpha strikes.

Support ships boxes are ok I guess, our battleships and battlecruisers less so. Don't give me 200+ boxes please.

On the yards, the retooling isn't that bad, its not like we have the crew to make more battlecruisers. I'm fixing that, but it will take time.

Virtual Russian fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 31, 2020

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

I'll deal with them. Just expect less than efficient use at times. Who can say no to 130 missile alpha strikes.

Support ships boxes are ok I guess, our battleships and battlecruisers less so. Don't give me 200+ boxes please.

If we develop missiles that are self-guiding, so that you can just use the "launch ready ordnance" command, then can we have 300 box launcher BBs?

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Shoeless posted:

If we develop missiles that are self-guiding, so that you can just use the "launch ready ordnance" command, then can we have 300 box launcher BBs?

If you can fit a fighter craft with enough explosives, we technically can have self-guiding missiles right now.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

If you can fit a fighter craft with enough explosives, we technically can have self-guiding missiles right now.

That still requires Virtual Russian to micromanage all the fighters though, which is the problem. What we need is easy of use and automation in a grognard game, which... yeah.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
B

Flying into Kook space, painting everything and getting out would be audacious enough. Hell, they might just send a punitive expedition giving us a skirmish on our side of the JP in response. I am worried about escalation, especially with the bugs nearby. It would be horrible to loose ships to the Kooks and then see a small bug fleet jump in.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for B And Dorf me as captain.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Oh and yeah, voting B

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Virtual Russian posted:

++++++++ Bonus Vote ++++++++

Do we authorize the Admiralty to conduct operations against the KPPP? Should B and C total more votes than A, but A has still won, we will count the C votes as Bs and conduct an unarmed raid.

C. Conduct a raid, which will include firing on Kooken vessels so as to provoke a small reprisal, from which we can gain a hulk with some luck. This could also give us information on Kooken armor capabilities.

++++++++ End of Bonus Vote ++++++++

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
B

Make a thunderrun with all actives blasting. Hope you survive. Transmit data anyway.

and for my refit:

Gladius SEP

Currently the Gladius gunboat suffers from obsolete engines, as well as a short range and a missile suit unsuited to its ammo. By updating the missile suit, replacing the engines and adding additional fuel in the space made avaible, the range could be tripled, while maintaining acceptable speed. Additionally, the throwweight of the missile suit could be doubled.

code:
Gladius - SEP class Fast Attack Craft      987 tons       33 Crew       114.2 BP       TCS 20    TH 93    EM 0
4705 km/s      Armour 1-8       Shields 0-0       HTK 7      Sensors 6/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 6.6
Maint Life 8.52 Years     MSP 56    AFR 16%    IFR 0.2%    1YR 1    5YR 21    Max Repair 23.2 MSP
Magazine 24    
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 days    Morale Check Required    

Kodo Turbines Nuclear Pulse Fighter Engine  EP46.40 (2)    Power 92.8    Fuel Use 840.36%    Signature 46.4    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 2.2 billion km (5 days at full power)

Lazarev Kinetics 10cm Railgun V20/C1 (1x4)    Range 16,000km     TS: 4,705 km/s     Power 3-1     RM 20,000 km    ROF 15       
Fröhlichmann & Mann Beam Fire Control R16-TS4000 (1)     Max Range: 16,000 km   TS: 4,000 km/s     38 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Lee-Park Improved Pressurised Water Reactor R1-PB20 (1)     Total Power Output 1    Exp 10%

Size 4.0 Box Launcher (6)     Missile Size: 4    Hangar Reload 100 minutes    MF Reload 16 hours
Foxfire Electronics Missile Fire Control FC27-R20 (1)     Range 27.1m km    Resolution 20
Macrotis Anti-Ship Missile (5)    Speed: 16,100 km/s    End: 24.9m     Range: 24.1m km    WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 53/32/16

Commercial Thermal Sensor TH1.0-6.0 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  19.4m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

The Servicelife Extension Program is also applied to the Gladius-Sensor craft, utilizing a more powerful active sensor, compensating for the removed self-spotting ability of the Gladius.

code:
Gladius - Sensor -SEP class Fast Attack Craft      978 tons       34 Crew       185.7 BP       TCS 20    TH 93    EM 0
4747 km/s      Armour 1-8       Shields 0-0       HTK 5      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 0
Maint Life 1.24 Years     MSP 29    AFR 31%    IFR 0.4%    1YR 20    5YR 294    Max Repair 120 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 days    Morale Check Required    

Kodo Turbines Nuclear Pulse Fighter Engine  EP46.40 (2)    Power 92.8    Fuel Use 840.36%    Signature 46.4    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 2.2 billion km (5 days at full power)

Saleh Warning & Control Active Search Sensor AS50-R50 (1)     GPS 6000     Range 50.9m km    Resolution 50

Addendum: the Sensorcraft should make a good, expendable scout and is easily capable of making the distance from the Caliban-Voss-JP to Voss AIII and back (if possible), without refueling and possibly even getting away from the Kooks if pursued. If an agressive raid is the order of the day, the whole group would make a nice raiding group.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
B, poke the bear a little.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Shoot, my idea didn't work out. Apparently tractor beams in Aurora force the ship with the beam to be the driver. You can't use tractor beams to latch a rider onto a vessel with engines. I was planning to get the Avalanches to double as FAC carriers by turning the Artemises into immobile pods with tractor beams and enough fuel/MSP/magazine space to accommodate 2000 tons of hangar space. That would have allowed the three Avalanches to carry a full squadron of FACs with them into combat while keeping up with the speed of the rest of the fleet, and as soon as an enemy fleet was close enough to matter they could have jettisoned the pods and been up to full speed with 6 FACs alongside them. Alas, when I tested it out, the combined unit moved at 1 km/s.

I think there's still merit to this idea for the future, and the next time we get a chance to design large capital ships I'm going to propose we slap a tractor on there for exactly this purpose. It lets us turn 500 tons of space (tractor beam) into multiple thousand tons of hangar bay space without having to suffer the combat speed/size penalty associated with having it all onboard. An almost completely future-proof 4500-ton pod can accommodate 2 hangar spaces (2 FACs or 4 full-sized fighters), 2 magazines, 250k liters of fuel, 600 MSP, and 5 layers of armor with 24 months of deployment time (for use as jump point defenses or the like). Stripping the armor down to 1 layer reduces the weight to 3800 tons; reducing the deployment time to 12 moths only saves about 60 tons. The only components on there that would conceivably require updating are the armor and the magazines, and neither would really do anything other than shaving a few tons every generation of tech.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

Shoot, my idea didn't work out. Apparently tractor beams in Aurora force the ship with the beam to be the driver. You can't use tractor beams to latch a rider onto a vessel with engines. I was planning to get the Avalanches to double as FAC carriers by turning the Artemises into immobile pods with tractor beams and enough fuel/MSP/magazine space to accommodate 2000 tons of hangar space. That would have allowed the three Avalanches to carry a full squadron of FACs with them into combat while keeping up with the speed of the rest of the fleet, and as soon as an enemy fleet was close enough to matter they could have jettisoned the pods and been up to full speed with 6 FACs alongside them. Alas, when I tested it out, the combined unit moved at 1 km/s.

I think there's still merit to this idea for the future, and the next time we get a chance to design large capital ships I'm going to propose we slap a tractor on there for exactly this purpose. It lets us turn 500 tons of space (tractor beam) into multiple thousand tons of hangar bay space without having to suffer the combat speed/size penalty associated with having it all onboard. An almost completely future-proof 4500-ton pod can accommodate 2 hangar spaces (2 FACs or 4 full-sized fighters), 2 magazines, 250k liters of fuel, 600 MSP, and 5 layers of armor with 24 months of deployment time (for use as jump point defenses or the like). Stripping the armor down to 1 layer reduces the weight to 3800 tons; reducing the deployment time to 12 moths only saves about 60 tons. The only components on there that would conceivably require updating are the armor and the magazines, and neither would really do anything other than shaving a few tons every generation of tech.

Can we do the Weber thing of having loads of towed box magazines?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

That's actually what started the idea in my head, but I don't think missile pods make logical sense in Aurora. In Honor Harrington, pod superdreadnoughts produce overwhelming weight of fire by being essentially hollow transport ships loaded with thousands and thousands of pods that can launch like a dozen self-sufficient missiles each. This is better than putting the tubes on the dreadnought itself because you can't actually fit that many launchers on the exterior of a ship that size; the way shields work in HH means there's relatively little available weapon real-estate. In addition, missiles in Aurora have to have a missile fire control to launch, which means that every single pod would have to devote space to a MFC, making things massively wasteful. I'm also not sure whether it's possible to daisy-chain tractor beams together, given what I discovered testing my own idea.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Yeah, you can, it's just inefficient, the towed launch box needs a crew and maintenance and some FCS and so on, and the towing ship needs more engine to not be slowed down dramatically, you're better off building the missile pod in your ship to begin with.

Now, you can make the missile pod a bunch of stripped down fighters and pop them out of a carrier to fire, that's more efficient and still a pain in the behind, especially for the LPer.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A couple more:

Zeurs MNA:

Drops basically all beam weapons except the point defense turret and associated fire controls, cryo storage and downsizes maintenance supplies some.
Adds an extra engine and missile loadout, tweaks active search sensor.

(I probably used the wrong missile fire control, though, now I notice. Probably should share one with the bomb truck, given this is basically a bigger, tougher one
anyway).

Refit cost:

(The armor isn't replaced, just needs extra to cover additional tonnage)

... With refit time of about 9 months, as opposed to a bit under 21 months for whole thing.

And for Artemis, one with lots of (cheap) new components modernizing FC and power plant, and new armor but basically nothing new:

(.. and again, also downsides maintenance storage space some)

This basically just makes it a bit faster and a bit more accurate.
(I wonder if someone will come up with something good by getting rid of the ultra-heavy turret?)

Refit cost:

... with refit time of about 4 months, as opposed to about 13 for brand new.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

That's actually what started the idea in my head, but I don't think missile pods make logical sense in Aurora.

I recall someone in the Saros-LP floating a similar idea in spirit, if not in precise execution but I can't remember the specifics now.

I suppose it's a function of it's origin since Aurora was designed for Starfire rather than HH.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Starfire, at least the books had missile pods in a big way but they were mainly used for jump point assaults.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Saros posted:

Starfire, at least the books had missile pods in a big way but they were mainly used for jump point assaults.

Yeah, they used jump-capable cruise missiles to soften up heavily-defended jump points. That, too, is not really feasible in Aurora; you can't fit a jump engine on a missile, nor can you fire a missile through a jump gate. Sending "disposable" missile pods through a gate would still cost crew and require a lot of overhead (MFCs, crew quarters, etc).

Going back to the FAC-carrier pods, I think the reason it works so well (theoretically speaking, obviously this is untested) is that it takes advantage of the fact that we have a significant gap in the speeds between our large capital ships and the support vessels. There's ~2,500 kps of speed that's being wasted during strategic movement, and having the BCs tow a stripped-down FAC carrier exploits that speed differential without compromising their tactical speed. It does, however, as with almost any clever idea in Aurora, cause a degree of micromanagement. Each pod would need to be individually un-towed and launch its pair of FACs/quartet of fighters, where with a dedicated carrier you would need a lot fewer button presses. It's not as bad as assigning hundreds of box launchers to missile controls, but it's still extra steps.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 31, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Only if you crew the pods with real sailors and not just conscripts....

We can even pretend it's a drone if that's what the newsvids need to hear

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Zurai posted:

It's not as bad as assigning hundreds of box launchers to missile controls, but it's still extra steps.

I'm still baffled as to why I can't just shift click and select+drag multiple weapons. It just seems like such a basic easy expected-in-this-day-and-age thing.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Zurai posted:

Yeah, they used jump-capable cruise missiles to soften up heavily-defended jump points. That, too, is not really feasible in Aurora; you can't fit a jump engine on a missile, nor can you fire a missile through a jump gate. Sending "disposable" missile pods through a gate would still cost crew and require a lot of overhead (MFCs, crew quarters, etc).

Going back to the FAC-carrier pods, I think the reason it works so well (theoretically speaking, obviously this is untested) is that it takes advantage of the fact that we have a significant gap in the speeds between our large capital ships and the support vessels. There's ~2,500 kps of speed that's being wasted during strategic movement, and having the BCs tow a stripped-down FAC carrier exploits that speed differential without compromising their tactical speed. It does, however, as with almost any clever idea in Aurora, cause a degree of micromanagement. Each pod would need to be individually un-towed and launch its pair of FACs/quartet of fighters, where with a dedicated carrier you would need a lot fewer button presses. It's not as bad as assigning hundreds of box launchers to missile controls, but it's still extra steps.

The issue you'll run into when 'using' that extra speed is that the Avalanche's don't have a whole lot of fuel for offensive operations and reducing their speed by over 1/3 will also reduce their range by over 1/3. If you really want to tow carrier pods you might as well go all the way and just have commercial tugs pull them around. If you want to be a real smartass about it give the tug a bit of armor and make it your collier/tanker as well so it's effectively a carrier that tows it's hanger bay behind it, drops it and runs when combat situations arise.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kobold and Gladius are basically the same hull, just with different mission payloads. This is merging them into a single thing. Kobold with a knife = Shiv

This is modernizing the engines+armor, and using the savings to (1) increase deployment time, (2) add spares to fix an engine failure, (3) add speed, (4) and add a backup active for limited-range self-guided shooting. They can now join an Avalanche group at combat speeds.

The engines used on the original Kobold/Gladius are from a generation back plus outdated fuel efficiency. Anything worth building will need to replace it, which requires a hefty chunk of research. Kept the dual engine design to reduce the research cost. The single engine version I played with is 7000km/s, but about twice the research.

The particular sensor on the sensor variant is a resolution vs range tradeoff. Keeping the A36-R50 from the sensor Gladius would reduce refit costs, but it won't see an enemy FAC till 6mkm + our main sensor platforms (Gadget) mounts that sensor already. We're short on high resolution sensors.

These aren't shipyard compatible, but switching between them is only a 2-month project.

For refits, this is not really saving cost at all, it spends BP to buy full task force training and crew grade bonus for new ships.

To Shiv:
- Gladius (8 hulls): 142.3BP / 112% of new / 15BP wasted
- Gladius Sensor (2 hulls): 170.2BP / 134% of new / 43BP wasted [the sensor Gladius are undersize, which makes them expensive to update]
- Kobold (13 hulls): 92.9BP / 73% of new / 34BP saved

To Shiv Sensor:
- Gladius (8 hulls): 182.9BP / 118% of new / 28BP wasted
- Gladius Sensor (2 hulls): 214.6BP / 138% of new / 59BP wasted
- Kobold (13 hulls): 175BP / 113% of new / 19BP wasted

You could also upgrade the 8 colonial hulls, but these are 0.6% IFR instead of the colonial 0.2% IFR, so they do fail more.

Shoeless posted:

I'm still baffled as to why I can't just shift click and select+drag multiple weapons. It just seems like such a basic easy expected-in-this-day-and-age thing.

Out-of-the-box Windows Forms TreeView control doesn't support that. It's interface is based around there being a singular SelectedNode at one time instead of a collection. Lots of 3rd party libraries have ones that do multiple select, but they're not drop-in-replacements.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 31, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crazycryodude posted:

Only if you crew the pods with real sailors and not just conscripts....

We can even pretend it's a drone if that's what the newsvids need to hear

You only need 2 pigs as a sacrifice to the Warp Gods to open a jump portal so we don't even need to resort to morally difficult suicide bombers.

Bit of a waste of good pork though.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Lando131 posted:

The issue you'll run into when 'using' that extra speed is that the Avalanche's don't have a whole lot of fuel for offensive operations and reducing their speed by over 1/3 will also reduce their range by over 1/3. If you really want to tow carrier pods you might as well go all the way and just have commercial tugs pull them around. If you want to be a real smartass about it give the tug a bit of armor and make it your collier/tanker as well so it's effectively a carrier that tows it's hanger bay behind it, drops it and runs when combat situations arise.

Commercial tugs would slow the fleet down enormously in strategic situations. Commercial engines are just plain incapable of approaching the speeds of military engines. With our current tech, you might possibly be able to get 2.5k kps, which is slower than anything in the modernized fleet by a good ~40%.

Also, I don't think the hangar pod I proposed would slow the Avalanches by nearly that much; it's about 18% more mass, so it would cut their range down to about 8.5b km. That's still within the minimum range required by their original design specs.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Kodos666 posted:

Addendum: the Sensorcraft should make a good, expendable scout and is easily capable of making the distance from the Caliban-Voss-JP to Voss AIII and back (if possible), without refueling and possibly even getting away from the Kooks if pursued. If an agressive raid is the order of the day, the whole group would make a nice raiding group.

Can't make the the trip out to Caliban without going way over deployment time. It's a month each way at Avalanche speeds, 5 months at Big Pig speeds. You can do it by sending out the Big Pig first to be refueling points, but you still need a couple months of travel time. Of our current ships, Avalanche, Artemis, Bomb Truck, Dionysus, Kobold, and Zeus can do it. Gadget and Wyern can do it if you accept going over time and tanking morale on the way back.

(I kind of want to spend the 50k yard on a fleet oiler instead of a Zeus refit)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is balance the reason why our ships are not allowed to paint targets for missiles originating from other craft?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

A military-grade oiler would be amazing. We do need a ship with an actual full-sized sensor package, though. I haven't posted it yet because I'm still tweaking, but I'm going to re-submit the Athena with an improved sensor package (including passive sensors capable of spotting a fleet with similarly-sized vessels well out of active sensor range).