Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Bed of Chaos but the arena is a swamp and there's an angel shooting at you while you're trying to make the jumps. After you finish the first two parts, they add a summoner in for the third. None of this is a boss by the way, and there's no bonfire until twenty minutes and two dozen enemies after the Bed of Chaos encounter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Bed of Chaos but you have DIARRHEA and you have to pause every two minutes to go to the BATHROOM because of your DIARRHEA.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Bunk bed of chaos

:hmmyes:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

And Tyler Too! posted:

Bunk bed of chaos

this is very good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'd rather fight a king-size bunk bed of chaos any day than to deal with the ruin sentinels ever again.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ruin sentinels are one of the best bosses in ds2 :colbert:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Cardiovorax posted:

I'd rather fight a king-size bunk bed of chaos any day than to deal with the ruin sentinels ever again.

This stuff is subjective but I really feel like you probably don't know how to fight them if you think this. Do you jump down to the bottom floor right away? You get to 1v1 the first sentinel if you stay up on the platform

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

IronicDongz posted:

ds3 dlc 2 is actually just almost universally good hth

Retweet

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Ruin sentinels are one of the best bosses in ds2 :colbert:

A low, low bar to cross

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

that area they're in is awesome at least

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's just a room.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Speaking of bad DLC lets talk about all of DS2 where they decided damage sponge was the name of the game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr. Crow posted:

Speaking of bad DLC lets talk about all of DS2 where they decided damage sponge was the name of the game.

DS2's DLC was incredible though?

E: Also, it's amazing that you're complaining about damage sponges in DS2's DLC when miniboss enemy design is a loving plague on DS3.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

IronicDongz posted:

ds3 dlc 2 is actually just almost universally good hth

By the time you reach DS3 DLC 2, you should be a level 170+ NG + maniac, so this should be fine.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Fargin Icehole posted:

By the time you reach DS3 DLC 2, you should be a level 170+ NG + maniac, so this should be fine.

That's what it's balanced for yeah but it shouldn't be. I like the TRC but it's dumb as gently caress that it's not balanced for like SL90 or something, whatever level would be natural to finish NG and AoA at.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fargin Icehole posted:

Not really, I'm normally like level 80-90 or so at dlc 2

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

IronicDongz posted:

Not really, I'm normally like level 80-90 or so at dlc 2

Yeah, I don't find it easy to level into the high 100s in DS3. as opposed to DS2 or Bloodborne where you can get (for different reasons) ridiculously high level

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Just as an update I am really into the game now and enjoying myself. I'm basically running with a dex based sword and board build with the lothric knight sword and the crest shield. Just got through the cathedral (those 2 handed knights suuuuuuuuck) but I think I've already blown some NPC quest lines since apparently I was supposed to meet a guy but I never saw him anywhere.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

King of Solomon posted:

DS2's DLC was incredible though?

E: Also, it's amazing that you're complaining about damage sponges in DS2's DLC when miniboss enemy design is a loving plague on DS3.

The average boss health for the DLC is like 9500 while in the base game it rarely gets above 6000 but sure ill bite, which mini bosses did you have trouble with?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr. Crow posted:

The average boss health for the DLC is like 9500 while in the base game it rarely gets above 6000 but sure ill bite, which mini bosses did you have trouble with?

You've misunderstood. When I say "miniboss enemy design" I mean they've designed regular enemies like minibosses and peppered them in everywhere. I'm talking about Lothric Knights, Ringed Knights, etc., etc.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
They aren't really mini-bosses though. You largely avoid them, and then you learn to parry and they're all practically one hit ko's. I like having enemies you can sword fight peppered in.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

There aren't too many enemies I genuinely hate except for Pontiff Knights, they're glass cannons but gold help you if they decide to spin2win.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, you can gimmick them, but if you fight more than one, it's down to getting lucky with their attacks, because they can just decide to kill you.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Babylon Astronaut posted:

They aren't really mini-bosses though. You largely avoid them, and then you learn to parry and they're all practically one hit ko's. I like having enemies you can sword fight peppered in.

I dunno what to tell you, dude, they're overtuned enemies and they're very common throughout the game. It's not like the Black Knights from DS1, which show up I think three(?) times outside the endgame.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
There's six Black Knights outside of the kiln.

I don't think they're overtuned in Dark Souls 3 at all, it's very rare you fight the elite types of enemies in big groups, at least without being really careless with your positioning, there's definitely more of them than in 1, but 1 has less enemies and fewer enemy types in general and the encounters are far less challenging or interesting as a result.

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009
Thread reminded me of one thing, the experience of defeating asylum demon with brand new char, with bare fists. It took long, it took some mental strain. Really curious if there is such a, well, spiritual experience in the Dark Souls 3?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
^^
Poop run.

No, they are definitely overtuned. They will kill you much faster, and easier than most enemies, until you learn to parry, or cheese them. That's what they are; on a meta level, most of DS 3 is a parrying tutorial.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 31, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

They will kill you much faster, and easier than most enemies,
That means they're hard, it doesn't mean they're overtuned. there are enemies in ds3 that are real fuckin dangerous, and that's a good thing.

That's what they are; on a meta level, most of DS 3 is a parrying tutorial.
I don't parry poo poo most of the time in ds3, and I don't think I've ever parried a lothric knight or ringed knight. they're not that hard. all you need is spacing, roll timings and understanding when to be aggressive. you don't need cheese strats or oneshots.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 31, 2020

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I dunno I enjoy them. The only guys i remember giving me trouble are the Viking dudes with shields in painted world. They are so aggressive, fast, have huge reach and do a ton of damage. But i think there is like one you have to actually fight, the rest i just run past.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Dark Souls 3 is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

agrielaios posted:

Thread reminded me of one thing, the experience of defeating asylum demon with brand new char, with bare fists. It took long, it took some mental strain. Really curious if there is such a, well, spiritual experience in the Dark Souls 3?

There are some insane people who have done a Midir - Sl1, fists only on youtube. They're all several hours long :stare:

This one is not SL1, but drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJlAqlPJSvo

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

There are some insane people who have done a Midir - Sl1, fists only on youtube. They're all several hours long :stare:

This one is not SL1, but drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJlAqlPJSvo

Yes, this is it. Thanks

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

That means they're hard, it doesn't mean they're overtuned. there are enemies in ds3 that are real fuckin dangerous, and that's a good thing.
I don't parry poo poo most of the time in ds3, and I don't think I've ever parried a lothric knight or ringed knight. they're not that hard. all you need is spacing, roll timings and understanding when to be aggressive. you don't need cheese strats or oneshots.
Oh I agree. But on a damage level? Sure. My point was that they aren't damage sponges, they are a chance to test your sword fighting skills. Personally, I've memorized the cestus parry timing from hundreds of hours of pvp. I was mentioning cheese strats, because there are 100s of gimmick builds that do not have to engage with the basic sword fighting mechanics.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 31, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oh I agree. But on a damage level? Sure. My point was that they aren't damage sponges, they are a chance to test your sword fighting skills. Personally, I've memorized the cestus parry timing from hundreds of hours of pvp. I was mentioning cheese strats, because there are 100s of gimmick builds that do not have to engage with the basic sword fighting mechanics.

They also have a lot more health than the average enemy in a given area. That's why I say they're miniboss enemies, and they're just exhausting to fight against.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you get tired real easy

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

IronicDongz posted:

you get tired real easy

I do too, gently caress the constant stream of "big" enemies

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Hump their back.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Someone a few pages back pointed out The Ringed City is all escalation, without the letups you usually get in a Souls game between harder segments, which I think is a fair observation. I found Ringed City exhausting too, I went with it because it is the grand finale for the entire franchise and it's only a handful of hours long but I could not play an entire game built like that.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
If you're doing constant invasions, Holy poo poo is this true, because the central respawn criss crosses with people of all levels. Once you get past the stupid bullshit arrows thing, you're in a real pvp hotspot, for basically the rest of the dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When it comes to parrying, can you parry any attack that can be parried with any shield? Are there stat requirements for certain level of enemy? I find myself back to my usual 2H powerhouse ways when I initially decided I would learn to parry this time around

e: still gently caress those crabs.