Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

fart simpson posted:

i bought $1000 of upro this year with the intent to hold it long term. it’s doing great so far
Have you read this post by ERN? Sounds interesting to me, but I haven't messed around with it yet irl: https://earlyretirementnow.com/2020/04/22/three-equity-investing-styles-that-did-ok-in-2020/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Awesome, thanks for explaining this. In what scenario would you choose the Roth option for a 401k?
I contribute to a Roth 401k because I would be doing Roth conversions anyway. It makes sense in these scenarios:
- when you are in a low tax bracket (and we are at historic lows right now, so I would say this makes sense even if you're in a middle tax bracket)
- when you are contributing solely to extend your legacy to heirs and not charity (since a Roth is inherited tax-free)
- early on in your life when the earnings portion of your savings will end up being more significant than your contributions to principal (Roth earnings are tax-free)
- if you plan on being in a higher tax bracket when you retire
- to increase your flexibility in tax planning later on

Some reasons to go traditional instead:
- if you have low expenses, you may be able to avoid paying taxes at all on retirement contributions when you withdraw(https://www.physicianonfire.com/the-taxman-leaveth-taxes-in-early-retirement/)
- if you are in a high tax bracket or nearing retirement age, Roths don't have as much of an impact
- if you are in a high state income tax state, the savings from traditional contributions are higher

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

moana posted:

Have you read this post by ERN? Sounds interesting to me, but I haven't messed around with it yet irl: https://earlyretirementnow.com/2020/04/22/three-equity-investing-styles-that-did-ok-in-2020/

not that article but i read something similar about strategy #2 with upro/tmf and decided to try it out. gonna put $1000 or so into it every quarter and see how it goes

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Oh yeah, just found out the employer match was cancelled, due to "hard times this year"! :haw:

Sympathies! After years of being part time in various ways and then starting a full time clock, I became eligible for an employer contribution to my 403b which was put on pause after exactly one month.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

moana posted:

Careful. That backtest is using VXX which did well for this drawdown but the drag of the short term VIX futures is really bad. VIXY is right there and tracking the same index and has a longer backtest which reveals the problem. https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com...allocation3_3=6

The 55 UPRO/45 TMF is more promising.

If you want to go down a rabbit hole, there is HEDGEFUNDIE’s excellent adventure. Which has seen a great deal of discussion, simulation of results further back and in recent days increasingly weird attempts to protect against Long Term Treasuries no longer having the tail wind. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=288192

So far my assessment is that 55/45 seems like it’s going to be best, but I’m furiously trying to understand bonds in this new low yield environment.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yeah I’m doing the 55/45 split with some of my money. I read most of both of the bogleheads threads and I’m cautiously optimistic so I’m gonna try it out with a decent amount of money over the next few years

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!
I'm from the UK and currently have the following:

60% Vanguard Global Market Index
30% L&G Global Technology Index
10% L&G UK Index.

I am thinking of reducing the global tech index down to 20% because I feel I am heavily orientated towards tech.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Dang my equities are like 95% swtsx (Schwab equivalent of vtsax) and 3% arkw. So tempting to put a lot more in arkw, it just keeps going up.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Anyone have an article or a breakdown on how the mutual fund fees work for Edward Jones vs Vanguard? I'm trying to explain it to my brother who just opened an IRA with EJ and because it's not something that comes up when he Google's their fee's, he doesn't believe me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Expense ratio? ER in a funds info when you Google or look at the info on any brokerage site.

Do they charge mgmt fees on top or something? That should be somewhere in EJ's materials.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
That was it! Thank you, I appreciate it. It didn't help I was at the beach trying to look stuff up on my phone. Found their mutual fund fee page and sent that to him.
They do have an annual fee(which is double Vanguards fee, 40 vs 20) on accounts.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

That was it! Thank you, I appreciate it. It didn't help I was at the beach trying to look stuff up on my phone. Found their mutual fund fee page and sent that to him.
They do have an annual fee(which is double Vanguards fee, 40 vs 20) on accounts.
Yeah, their management fees are the worst. This thread used to be titled "gently caress Edward Jones", that's how bad their fees are. They charge you 2% to reinvest your dividends in your IRA. They charge you 2% when you invest anything into an IRA. Want to invest your money? Okay, you can keep 98% of it, because gently caress you, we're worse than Vegas slots. If you invest into an Edward Jones fund, they're probably skimming 5% off the top as a front load fee. If you don't invest into an Edward Jones fund, they charge you $50 minimum, PER POSITION. This is all on top of their normal (usurious) fund fees that are consistently above 1.00%, when Vanguard's funds hover in the 0.05-0.20% range.

Want to get out? They charge you $95 to get out of their loving terrible IRA account. gently caress Edward Jones forever.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's legal to charge a fee to close and account?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

It's legal to charge a fee to close and account?
Sure, why not, how else are you gonna keep the suckers around? https://www.edwardjones.com/images/ira-schedule-of-fees.pdf

edit: in case you were thinking this is normal practice, Vanguard does not charge any account closing fees, because they are not evil scumbags like edward jones.

moana fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 29, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Merrill Edge took $50 from me when I transferred to Vanguard. I had exactly $3,000 in there and when the money arrived I had $2,950 so that's what I assume happened.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

moana posted:

Sure, why not, how else are you gonna keep the suckers around? https://www.edwardjones.com/images/ira-schedule-of-fees.pdf

edit: in case you were thinking this is normal practice, Vanguard does not charge any account closing fees, because they are not evil scumbags like edward jones.

So what keeps them from charging 10k? 100?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
quote="moana" post="507642692"]
Yeah, their management fees are the worst. This thread used to be titled "gently caress Edward Jones", that's how bad their fees are. They charge you 2% to reinvest your dividends in your IRA. They charge you 2% when you invest anything into an IRA. Want to invest your money? Okay, you can keep 98% of it, because gently caress you, we're worse than Vegas slots. If you invest into an Edward Jones fund, they're probably skimming 5% off the top as a front load fee. If you don't invest into an Edward Jones fund, they charge you $50 minimum, PER POSITION. This is all on top of their normal (usurious) fund fees that are consistently above 1.00%, when Vanguard's funds hover in the 0.05-0.20% range.

Want to get out? They charge you $95 to get out of their loving terrible IRA account. gently caress Edward Jones forever.
[/quote]
Great stuff, thanks! I have my own (non-tax advantaged as far as I can tell) account that family had been putting money into while I was growing up, had been letting it alone for a long time but I think this will finally push me over the edge to take it out and do something else with it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
As I mention probably a good bit here, Edward Jones former investor here.

I legit will say hey, I at least met someone that got me to start investing.

Nice enough guy, but That said, 1 hour of his time giving me advice turned into both years of those fees, and it took me a long time to psychologically move my money from Edward Jones to Vanguard. Sunk cost fallacy and all that.

Anyone in Edward Jones, get out fast. They try to keep you through the “surly this guy is trust worthy” thought. Yeah, Keith was cool, but he wasn’t worth 2-4% of my retirement costs cool when I can just invest in Vanguard total stock funds anyway.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

The goodness of their heart. Ooh, I looked it up and Raymond James charges $125. I wonder if anyone else charges more.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Xguard86 posted:

Nothing, except presumably they're worried that the first person to notice the fee would scream so loudly they wouldn't get any more customers.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
I'm a dual citizen. Born, raised, and live in Canada. Worked in the US for like, 5 years in the 2000's during which time the company I worked for set me up an IRA that they matched contributions to. It was through Edward Jones and that was just the way it was. I was in my 20's and knew enough to know that company matching is free money, but not much else than that. So the account got opened, some money went in, the sun rose and set and on and on.

After I was done working with that company I moved back to Canada. After about a year back here I decided I wasn't going to live in the states anymore so I called up EJ to see what I could do with that account.

After a bunch of phone calls, and multiple meetings with a Canadian EJ branch it was determined I couldn't move this money into a Canadian EJ account. Apparently this is a wicked rad way to potentially launder money so I could either A) leave it in a US IRA or B) withdraw the funds and get my rear end kicked by taxes and fees.

Likewise, I can't really do much with the account because sending Canadian funds to it would be a real pain in the rear end and really pointless when I can just invest here. So it just sits there.

About once a year I get a call from my EJ rep in Alaska. The first few times I talked to him was a "hey you aren't making contributions what's up?" conversation, at which point I reminded him of the situation. The last 5-ish years he's basically called me just to chat, make sure I'm still alive, and see what's happening in Canada. We talk about all the fun things I'm going to do when I come to the branch in the US when I'm 60 to start withdrawing that money, and that's about it. I'm in some generic growth fund that has done pretty well so we keep that the same and carry on with banter about fishing and other things we both like doing.

That's my EJ story. I've never looked at the fees because I don't really want to know, but the guy I deal with is one of my favorite phone calls every year and I don't see any feasible way to get around this situation. No US bank account, no US permanent address, so yea, enjoy my fee money EJ and see you guys in 23 years.

Moral of the story - I probably have stockholm syndrome with Edward Jones.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You could transfer it to an IRA at Vangaurd with no tax/fee other than what closing fees from EJ. I did the same a few years ago from Wells Fargo and had to pay $75 to get my own money back. I’m not actually sure if you would be able to open a new IRA from Canada though.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

moana posted:

The goodness of their heart. Ooh, I looked it up and Raymond James charges $125. I wonder if anyone else charges more.

I think Mass Mutual charged me $300 for my 401k rollover

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
The Fed isn't raising interest rates any time soon. Basically instead of always targeting 2% inflation, they want to average 2% inflation over long periods of time, so they're OK with it going a bit above 2% to average out with times, like the last few months, when inflation was really low.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/08/28/interest-rates-what-fed-move-means-stock-market-economy-savers/5648978002/

So savings accounts and bonds will continue to be garbage. Hope none of you are retiring soon. If you are I guess you're supposed to put all of your money into an overvalued stock market as it shoots even higher and hope like hell that the bubble doesn't pop.

Could all be a moot point since the economy is lagging bad enough that it may not even be able to sustain 2-3% inflation.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Shappa, I'm a Canadian living in the US and when I'm able to I'll visit Canada again sometime in the next year. You can transfer the money to my checking account, I'll hold onto it for you. When it's time, I'll withdraw it and put the bundles of cash in a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist. You should be able to easily identify me at the airport.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Shappa, I'm a Canadian living in the US and when I'm able to I'll visit Canada again sometime in the next year. You can transfer the money to my checking account, I'll hold onto it for you. When it's time, I'll withdraw it and put the bundles of cash in a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist. You should be able to easily identify me at the airport.

Finally a solution. Thanks for you help. To being the transfer process can you first please send me 0.35 bitcoin to my wallet via your account? This is to ensure I have the right routing and transit numbers for the transfer. I greatly look forward to meeting your acquaintance.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Shappa posted:

After I was done working with that company I moved back to Canada. After about a year back here I decided I wasn't going to live in the states anymore so I called up EJ to see what I could do with that account.

After a bunch of phone calls, and multiple meetings with a Canadian EJ branch it was determined I couldn't move this money into a Canadian EJ account. Apparently this is a wicked rad way to potentially launder money so I could either A) leave it in a US IRA or B) withdraw the funds and get my rear end kicked by taxes and fees.
Could you set up a SEPP to get it out over time?

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

moana posted:

Could you set up a SEPP to get it out over time?

That's a great idea that I legit didn't know existed. Might look into doing that, even if it does mean breaking my EJ pen pals heart.

Thanks!

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Shappa posted:

That's a great idea that I legit didn't know existed. Might look into doing that, even if it does mean breaking my EJ pen pals heart.

Thanks!

Ahh, the world of investment advisors and brokers - when a random person on the internet goes further out of their way to help you accomplish your goals than does the person to whom you're paying a rip-off rate to help manage investments.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Shappa posted:

Thanks!
You could also talk to a fee-only financial planner and see what they recommend.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i didn't know like half of these threads existed for ages cuz my eyes glaze over when i scan SA so i'm sorry. i'm a practicing CFP for about 3 years. i can answer any basics in any of the domains for free just quote one of my posts so i see it whenever i pop by (debt, retirement planning, investing, insurances, estate planning, etc etc) if you ever wanna take a neutral, non asset managing /non charging opinion to run by another advisor or planner for a point of comparison, i wouldn't mind

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

moana i saw a few of your posts through this thread and your advice is very sound and your av is very distinctive - are you in the field as well?

tbp fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 31, 2020

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

acidx posted:

So savings accounts and bonds will continue to be garbage. Hope none of you are retiring soon. If you are I guess you're supposed to put all of your money into an overvalued stock market as it shoots even higher and hope like hell that the bubble doesn't pop.

I was reading a 2012 paper from AQR that showed that when the Shiller PE ratio was higher, expected returns for the coming decade were lower. Here's the table.

At the time, they were raising a concern since the Shiller PE was quite high (the highlighted band). Guess where the Shiller PE is now

This is going to be a difficult decade.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

doingitwrong posted:

I was reading a 2012 paper from AQR that showed that when the Shiller PE ratio was higher, expected returns for the coming decade were lower. Here's the table.

At the time, they were raising a concern since the Shiller PE was quite high (the highlighted band). Guess where the Shiller PE is now

This is going to be a difficult decade.

Also who the gently caress knows what the fed is going to do or who will be president and what they will do or how the pandemic will play out. or...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tbp posted:

moana i saw a few of your posts through this thread and your advice is very sound and your av is very distinctive - are you in the field as well?
I'm sitting for the CFP exam next month! Pretty soon I'll be charging $300 per post ;) Good to see another planner around here, maybe we can meet up at a conference once the rona is over.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

moana posted:

I'm sitting for the CFP exam next month! Pretty soon I'll be charging $300 per post ;) Good to see another planner around here, maybe we can meet up at a conference once the rona is over.
if you didn't want to meet, you could have just said so -_-

good luck! if you did prep work with dalton by any chance, i can personally say the practice material was significantly more difficult than the exam itself.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My privately held Danish company of ~12,000 people has given employees the opportunity to purchase B shares. They can only be purchased or sold within a certain window, but a sell is forced upon termination or if the company decides it's in their best interest to consolidate all B stock.

I believe the company is in a strong position and that I probably wouldn't have a problem holding onto my job. I don't quite understand the nuances of the arrangement other than "if the company does well, the stock does well, and also you get a chance to vote on some stuff (but not really because you'll get drowned out by the A shareholders)". My gut tells me that I shouldn't invest more than a token amount for fear of overweighting myself in a single thing. Is there a layer to this that makes this kind of investment particularly advantageous/disadvantageous? I imagine that it'll make filing my taxes next year a bit more difficult, since this would technically be a Danish investment, and I file my taxes in Freedomland.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Usually you will get a discount on the stock so that you can make a profit by turning around and selling it immediately. Do they do that? If not, then I wouldn't buy any - you're already heavily concentrated in your company by virtue of being employed there.

tbp posted:

good luck! if you did prep work with dalton by any chance, i can personally say the practice material was significantly more difficult than the exam itself.
My boss is paying for the Zahn classes. It's a LOT of material to remember, especially the stuff that I've never touched before in real life, like estate planning and variable annuities. But I did well on the first practice exam from the CFP Board so I'm feeling okay going into it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Vanguard site is like super hosed right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

moana posted:

Usually you will get a discount on the stock so that you can make a profit by turning around and selling it immediately. Do they do that? If not, then I wouldn't buy any - you're already heavily concentrated in your company by virtue of being employed there.

Can't sell it on the open market- I can only buy and sell it from the company, during a 6 week window each year where the price is reevaluated based on company performance vs obligations

I'll probably buy a token amount to hold onto in the off chance the company goes public