Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Does your family live in your parents' dorm room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Does your family live in your parents' dorm room?

Van Wilder 3 looking interesting

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

excellent bird guy posted:

I am a travelling professional, I have a house with a bunch of stuff but I have to have family watch it for me. I moved into a hotel last week from an airbnb and will move again next month. Here is a shot of my stash

No disrespect I think you’ve got cool stuff I just lol’d at the McDonald’s flag. Sounds like you’re living like a dude who would get killed after 1 episode of Justified which I must respect.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
lol. The guitar's trem is good, kind of stiff, pretty different than a Jazz or Jag. It's more on the classy side than the shoegazer end.
Those are Nike air force 1s.
I used to be really into the concept of 'irony' and at one point decided McDonalds was just the coolest thing.
Bob Shade runs Hallmark guitar company, I think the factory is in Korea then he receives the assembled parts, inspects them and signs his name on the back of the headstock with a silver sharpy to indicate his approval.
And yea it's what Starcrunch/MOAM plays. The difference between the sig and it's sisters are that Bolt-on neck, also only olympic white and the circuit board pickguard.
Unfortunately moving so much I can't bring everything with me so I'll just choose one instrument at a time and get to know it real well. Right now just happens to be a classical but 6 months ago was playing that Dano all the time. Dano is the poor man's Ric but it's plays so well, very resonant due to semi-hollow.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Science Amps (they make really awesome stuff imo) is giving away free IR packs of their cabinets and they sound as good as any not-free stuff. There’s a donation link but it is not required.

https://www.scienceamps.com/irs.html

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Science Amps (they make really awesome stuff imo) is giving away free IR packs of their cabinets and they sound as good as any not-free stuff. There’s a donation link but it is not required.

https://www.scienceamps.com/irs.html

Coooool, gonna load this on my HX Stomp

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dano is the poor man's Ric but it's plays so well, very resonant due to semi-hollow.

I love Danos so much. If you want to step up the Johnny Marr jangle and get closer to the Ric sound, I highly recommend the Epi Emperor Swingster.

It’s a Gretsch-like aimed at rockabillies and jazz players with its own bespoke “Swingbucker” pickups. They look like Filtertrons, but they’re super not Filtertrons, and they can be set in both parallel and series. They can get super jangly in a way that real Trons don’t.

Also it’ll have way better QC than a real Ric for like a fifth of the price.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

lol. The guitar's trem is good, kind of stiff, pretty different than a Jazz or Jag. It's more on the classy side than the shoegazer end.
Those are Nike air force 1s.
I used to be really into the concept of 'irony' and at one point decided McDonalds was just the coolest thing.
Bob Shade runs Hallmark guitar company, I think the factory is in Korea then he receives the assembled parts, inspects them and signs his name on the back of the headstock with a silver sharpy to indicate his approval.
And yea it's what Starcrunch/MOAM plays. The difference between the sig and it's sisters are that Bolt-on neck, also only olympic white and the circuit board pickguard.
Unfortunately moving so much I can't bring everything with me so I'll just choose one instrument at a time and get to know it real well. Right now just happens to be a classical but 6 months ago was playing that Dano all the time. Dano is the poor man's Ric but it's plays so well, very resonant due to semi-hollow.

That's a nice way to anchor home on the road. It's sort of a mixed blessing that you're stationed out long enough to bring a nice instrument out with you, but then gone so long from home/stash. I used to be on a plane every couple of weeks back when I was consulting in the dark long ago in ages far, far away, and that means life resides in a laptop and suitcase, but you get to go back. Not sure what I'd choose given the option right now.

(words)-- :yarg:

widefault posted:

Speaking of, after they remodeled the local McDonalds these showed up in my parents garage. Apparently you can dumpster dive for the right donation to the Ronald McDonald House.

I would unironically hang one of those on the wall of my living room but I haven't been able to talk my dad out of one yet.

You inherited the eye! That $150 pawn shop strat from the gear thread top of everything else is pretty great.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I grabbed a little Martin for my birthday and love it, but they wanted $50 extra for one with a pickguard, which I could not do. It's proving more difficult to buy one after the fact, though.

One option is to pattern one myself and cut it out of a full-size stick-on, but I'm not sure how easy that cutting will be. The other option is Taylor sells baby Taylor ones online, but I would prefer to stick with the classic Martin look. Open to other suggestions ...

Also I took trade on that bass and LOVE it. Turns out I'm a bass guy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pickguards are mostly pretty useless, right? I feel like I never actually hit it with the pick.

E- or would even care if I did. Maybe it’s different on acoustics, I don’t know.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Aesthetics mostly, but the way I strum I actually drag my fingertips across the top making a swoosh swoosh noise that sounds a lot like a brush on a snare.

It isn't a huge problem or anything, just poking around the brain trust for ideas.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Huxley posted:

just poking around the brain trust for ideas.

Well that’s definitely not me but good luck :guitar:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Snowy posted:

Pickguards are mostly pretty useless, right? I feel like I never actually hit it with the pick.

E- or would even care if I did. Maybe it’s different on acoustics, I don’t know.

They're called pickguards mostly as a funny kind of thing that sort of makes sense. It's just a word to describe the slab of plastic they use to cover the fact that the guitar's electronics cavities are routed into the front of the body.

They're not really meant to be "consumed" and replaced or anything. Also if you're hitting the pickguard with your pick a lot your playing is probably a bit too uncontrolled.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 31, 2020

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Somebody nearby is selling an 05 Mexican Strat in great condition for $250. Should I snatch it? Seems like I could turn around and sell it for at least $350. And if not I'd finally have a proper Strat...

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Huxley posted:

One option is to pattern one myself and cut it out of a full-size stick-on, but I'm not sure how easy that cutting will be.

it's just plastic. a cheap coping or jewelers saw will make short work of it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

beer gas canister posted:

Somebody nearby is selling an 05 Mexican Strat in great condition for $250. Should I snatch it? Seems like I could turn around and sell it for at least $350. And if not I'd finally have a proper Strat...

...May...be? Idk, I feel like a modern Squier Affinity brand new might possibly be a nicer guitar these days. Somebody please correct me if I’m way off base here.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

beer gas canister posted:

if its really in great condition? ya, of course lol

but the thing about used guitars is: you won't know if 250 bux is a good price for the thing, until you actually lay hands on it.

if its a good guitar, 250 bux is extremely reasonable

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

Aesthetics mostly, but the way I strum I actually drag my fingertips across the top making a swoosh swoosh noise that sounds a lot like a brush on a snare.

It isn't a huge problem or anything, just poking around the brain trust for ideas.

this is probably a silly suggestion, but have you considered a flamenco golpeador instead? do people do that on steel string guitars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T3qH5XaCwA

probably not for you, since you are interested in the look of it, and these are clear

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

GreatGreen posted:

They're called pickguards mostly as a funny kind of thing that sort of makes sense. It's just a word to describe the slab of plastic they use to cover the fact that the guitar's electronics cavities are routed into the front of the body.

They're not really meant to be "consumed" and replaced or anything. Also if you're hitting the pickguard with your pick a lot your playing is probably a bit too uncontrolled.

Pickguards were around way before the electric guitar and were created to protect the finish and top from being scratched or worn away from strumming with a pick. The use on guitars dates back to the 19th century when flamenco players added them to protect the top from their expressive and intense style of playing. Martin added them to their acoustics around the turn of the century when steel strings were introduced and picks started gaining a broader use. Pickguards were meant to be replaced when they got too beaten up or warped, though if the player didn't have an energetic playing style then they probably never would need to.

Basically, pickguards keep your acoustic guitar from looking like Trigger if you strum hard.

Edit: Trigger is completely badass, just using it to illustrate what they're meant to protect against.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 31, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pickguards are definitely aesthetic for a large part, just look at how many fingerstyle bass players still have them despite never touching that part of the instrument.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

I bought this MiC Blueridge because Buzzo uses it on his acoustic tour and I like how small it is, good for fingerpicking. That Pickguard was so ugly I took it off day 1.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

BonHair posted:

Pickguards are definitely aesthetic for a large part, just look at how many fingerstyle bass players still have them despite never touching that part of the instrument.

They definitely are there for aesthetic purposes as well. My post was more to inform against the implication that pickguards weren't meant to be replaced or didn't serve a function other than to hide routes. Like, the whole reason a Les Paul even has a pickguard was to keep the gold finish from being scratched up because it was a lot easier (and cheaper) to replace a piece of plastic than to refinish the top. The same reason is why a lot of acoustics also have them. Whether or not you play with or without one, or just like it for the looks is completely fine and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Though if we're talking about pickguards, special mention should go to the J-200:

Now that is a beautiful pickguard.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Chip McFuck posted:

Pickguards were around way before the electric guitar and were created to protect the finish and top from being scratched or worn away from strumming with a pick. The use on guitars dates back to the 19th century when flamenco players added them to protect the top from their expressive and intense style of playing. Martin added them to their acoustics around the turn of the century when steel strings were introduced and picks started gaining a broader use. Pickguards were meant to be replaced when they got too beaten up or warped, though if the player didn't have an energetic playing style then they probably never would need to.

Basically, pickguards keep your acoustic guitar from looking like Trigger if you strum hard.

Edit: Trigger is completely badass, just using it to illustrate what they're meant to protect against.

I still maintain that nowadays if you're hitting it for any other reason than "to really, really emphasize how much you're feeling the music for everybody when you're playing live in front of people," you're probably doing something wrong.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 31, 2020

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Les Paul ergonomics haven't changed since Ernie Ball invented 9's.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

GreatGreen posted:

I still maintain that nowadays if you're hitting it for any other reason than "to really, really emphasize how much you're feeling the music for everybody when you're playing live in front of people," you're probably doing something wrong.

Yeah I have a feeling that anyone who plays that buckwild consistently enough to damage the finish probably also loves how that looks.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Finally a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDXf8OdZCFs

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Ok Comboomer posted:

...May...be? Idk, I feel like a modern Squier Affinity brand new might possibly be a nicer guitar these days. Somebody please correct me if I’m way off base here.

i'd take my chances with the mexican strat. CNC has been a dramatic improvement for budget guitar build quality as a whole, but the standards of guitars they let off the factory floor for affinity brands is still p low, and mid 2000s strats had a decent expectation of quality. if you can demo them before purchase the affinity might be just as good, it's just more of a gamble sight unseen.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, what I'm hearing is that affinity (and bullet) is the brand you want to play before buying, any other new Squier is probably good to go.

As for used, there's always a chance it's been kept in a car in sun and snow and is hosed up from that, so having a return option is probably a good idea.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Hi guys.

I got a new toy.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Great minds

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tad Naff posted:

Great minds

Gorgeous!

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!
I have 2 questions I need some help/advice on, the first one being I have noticed that on my acoustic guitar while holding down the 2 string 2nd fret anytime I use a pick it sounds like it's rattling but I'm not sure from what as I know pressing hard enough any ideas on how to fix it? My other question is that I have been eyeballing different electric guitars for my first electric I originally planned to try and get a rgx 121 or 112 but while looking for a used one I noticed that there is a lot of people who sell there used stratocasters for fairly cheap and some even come with amps and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to pick up one of the used stratocasters or would it not sound remotely the same as the rgx 121 or 112.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jay-Roden posted:

I have 2 questions I need some help/advice on, the first one being I have noticed that on my acoustic guitar while holding down the 2 string 2nd fret anytime I use a pick it sounds like it's rattling but I'm not sure from what as I know pressing hard enough any ideas on how to fix it?

i had a weird rattle on my cheap johnson acoustic. i needed to tighten one of the nuts on the tuning pegs.

but you might also be describing fret buzz, especially if its specific to a single fret and string. on an acoustic, its not super easy to fix. if this is your problem, something is gonna need to get shimmed or filed down, and i almost always hire a luthier for that kindof work

Jay-Roden posted:

My other question is that I have been eyeballing different electric guitars for my first electric I originally planned to try and get a rgx 121 or 112 but while looking for a used one I noticed that there is a lot of people who sell there used stratocasters for fairly cheap and some even come with amps and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to pick up one of the used stratocasters or would it not sound remotely the same as the rgx 121 or 112.

rgx 121 or 112 appears to be a "super strat". i think these will be just fine. the main thing i like about strats and related guitars is that they come with nice bevels that make it more comfy to play than a les paul or telecaster.

i would NOT suggest getting a used guitar as your first electric, since you have no frame of reference to know if you're getting a lemon or not. guitar problems can be subtle, its easy to overlook a deal-breaker until after money has changed hands

it doesn't matter too much what you pick for your first guitar, its destined to be replaced eventually anyway. a new yamaha pacifica, a new squier classic-vibes, a new G&L tribute? these are the ones i would gravitate towards

i would be extremely skeptical of any amp that comes as a combo deal with a cheap guitar. a lot of low-end solid state practice amps sound like poo poo!

Jay-Roden
Jul 22, 2018

My leg is hungry.

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i had a weird rattle on my cheap johnson acoustic. i needed to tighten one of the nuts on the tuning pegs.

but you might also be describing fret buzz, especially if its specific to a single fret and string. on an acoustic, its not super easy to fix. if this is your problem, something is gonna need to get shimmed or filed down, and i almost always hire a luthier for that kindof work

rgx 121 or 112 appears to be a "super strat". i think these will be just fine. the main thing i like about strats and related guitars is that they come with nice bevels that make it more comfy to play than a les paul or telecaster.

i would NOT suggest getting a used guitar as your first electric, since you have no frame of reference to know if you're getting a lemon or not. guitar problems can be subtle, its easy to overlook a deal-breaker until after money has changed hands

it doesn't matter too much what you pick for your first guitar, its destined to be replaced eventually anyway. a new yamaha pacifica, a new squier classic-vibes, a new G&L tribute? these are the ones i would gravitate towards

i would be extremely skeptical of any amp that comes as a combo deal with a cheap guitar. a lot of low-end solid state practice amps sound like poo poo!

Thank you I will look into finding a local luthier, as I'm still new enough to the guitar world to tell you which of the two it would be.
I will look into the Yamaha Pacifica as I already own 2 of there instruments (acoustic guitar and piano) and I have liked them so far, for an amp I was going to look for a Boss Katana would that be some thing I should look for new or used?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Jay-Roden posted:

Thank you I will look into finding a local luthier, as I'm still new enough to the guitar world to tell you which of the two it would be.

cool, my guy works out of a brick-and-mortar music store

i've started buying my guitars from that place, since he personally sets up everything they sell, and he'll customize your setup for free (different string gauges or whatever) if you ask. the markup is less than the cost of paying the guy to work on something you bought from musiciansfriend or whatever

Jay-Roden posted:

I will look into the Yamaha Pacifica as I already own 2 of there instruments (acoustic guitar and piano) and I have liked them so far, for an amp I was going to look for a Boss Katana would that be some thing I should look for new or used?

i've had much better luck buying used guitar amps. just gotta be careful buying a used tube amp that might be a few weeks away from needing to be re-tubed

the boss katana is solid state, but it has modeling to help it sound good. solid state means that if it turns on and makes sound, its probably 100% good to go. it's highly recommended by some of the other posters here, but i haven't played it before

yamaha also makes a little practice amp that's beloved in this thread. the THR models. same kind of thing, solid state with modeling. my friend has one, she loves it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I was having dead frets like that on the 2nd and 3rd frets. Bought some oak veneer and shimmed the nut and it’s perfect now.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Jay-Roden posted:

the katana 50 combo is great, it has power scaling so you can play it in your bedroom or you could gig with it if you ever got to the point where you'd want to do that and the price is really nice

the positive grid spark is also supposedly good; positive grid's modelling is excellent and you can tweak it a lot, but i don't have any personal experience with it. it has tons and tons of features even compared to katana so it might be a bit overwhelming but it's also something that you can grow into. it's hard to get a feel for this stuff without being able to try them in person, unfortunately

the thr is also good if space is a concern

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay-Roden posted:

for an amp I was going to look for a Boss Katana would that be some thing I should look for new or used?

Very good call. Boss Katana is the loving boss.

As Helianthus Annuus said its solid state not tube so probably safe to buy used. Be aware that lots of the Boss Katanas out there are the Mark 1 model, and there is now a Mark 2 model in stores.

The Mark 1 is a very very good sounding and powerful amp with lots of features. The Mark 2 doubles each of the amp models, so instead of 1 crunch and 1 clean and 1 lead and 1 brown, you get 2 crunch and 2 clean and 2 lead and 2 brown amp models. I think there's also a few extra digital pedal effects too, but the Mark 1 already has a ton more than you need.

Its really nice to have, but also not something you HAVE to have. As a result, the Mark 1 models should be going for a good bit cheaper now. So your call on which you want, but if someone's selling a Mark 1 you should try to get them to go pretty cheap on it.

A lot of people are probably unloading used Mark 1s trying to buy a replacement Mark 2.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Personally, I wouldn’t get a Mk1 unless it were really cheap. The Mk2 is already a really inexpensive amp as it is, I wouldn’t skimp out on features to save $50-100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah, that's the flipside argument. I went ahead and got a new Mk2 myself, although I'm not sure how much I would have missed it had I saved the cash.