Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

So what was the Hardmode experience for people that played it? Thinking of playing this again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

frajaq posted:

So what was the Hardmode experience for people that played it? Thinking of playing this again

i basically didnt notice a change at all.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Doc Hawkins posted:

my eyebrows leapt off my head when encyclopedia said that Dolores Dei's agents were called her "harriers"

Don't they mention that her husband was some nobody who more or less disappears from the historical record once she rises to prominence?
I thought they might have been going for something with Harry being said husband, having gotten lost - on purpose or not - in the Pale and having not aged since time also breaks down in there. But it seems like that's not the case, and probably for the better.

Although, then again, there is that odd resemblance to Mazov...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Don't they mention that her husband was some nobody who more or less disappears from the historical record once she rises to prominence?
I thought they might have been going for something with Harry being said husband, having gotten lost - on purpose or not - in the Pale and having not aged since time also breaks down in there. But it seems like that's not the case, and probably for the better.

Although, then again, there is that odd resemblance to Mazov...

Oh I don't think the cop is anyone historically special (besides the amnesia, the voices, cleaning out the rooms, etc), I was just imagining how he obviously would have been obsessed with the coincidence.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Where IS the hood at

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

some questions only la revacholiere can answer

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

i'm disappointed measurehead didn't have a larger role.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Philman posted:

i'm disappointed measurehead didn't have a larger role.

I'm not. His relevancy lasts for exactly as long as it's needed. He's either an unmovable obstacle because you're not strong enough to go after him physically, and so you have to bend the knee to the union to get him to leave, which is frustrating and a bit humiliating, or he's a source of that glorious, primitive pleasure of smacking a Nazi right into the ground where he belongs.

God, I loved my high Psyche and Intellect playthrough, it was very satisfying, but I would have love love LOVED to teach that fuckhead a lesson.

e: theoretically you can also overcome him by internalizing his racist bullshit but honestly I refuse to even consider that, and frankly I don't like even acknowledging that

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 28, 2020

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm not. His relevancy lasts for exactly as long as it's needed. He's either an unmovable obstacle because you're not strong enough to go after him physically, and so you have to bend the knee to the union to get him to leave, which is frustrating and a bit humiliating, or he's a source of that glorious, primitive pleasure of smacking a Nazi right into the ground where he belongs.

There's also the big brain ultimate centrist option where ignore both parties and just jump the roof.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Measurehead really works best as a one-note character playing on the absurdity of a black supremacist who believes in eugenics and phrenology and so on, because any further involvement may have to involve taking him seriously.

Apparently he's one of two characters who can give you the Waste Land of Reality thought?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Measurehead really works best as a one-note character playing on the absurdity of a black supremacist who believes in eugenics and phrenology and so on, because any further involvement may have to involve taking him seriously.

Apparently he's one of two characters who can give you the Waste Land of Reality thought?

Is that the sobriety thought? Because yeah, I think I got it from him my first run through. I thought I could convince him to move with FACTS and LOGIC, so I engaged him in a debate which resulted in nothing because of loving course it did.

This game handles fascism very well as a hollow ideology unworthy of exploration, and its followers are deranged idiots spiraling down a path of nihilism and despair. I especially liked the idea of how intractable and pointless any discussion with him becomes.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

He calls you " the unpromising race pupil" and you get to say a bunch of racist stuff all over the place if you internalize advanced race theory.

It's great.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Wait, Measurehead is supposed to be black? I didn't get that at all from his portrait, but in my defense it's very stylized.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

He's craniometric perfection.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, Measurehead is supposed to be black? I didn't get that at all from his portrait, but in my defense it's very stylized.

yeah i'm pretty sure his race is intentionally vague. he seemed kinda polynesian to me

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
He's dark skinned for sure

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

paradoxGentleman posted:

e: theoretically you can also overcome him by internalizing his racist bullshit but honestly I refuse to even consider that, and frankly I don't like even acknowledging that

“Internalizing” it makes Harry realize how loving stupid it is.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah i'm pretty sure his race is intentionally vague. he seemed kinda polynesian to me

I assumed middle-eastern, based mostly on referring to alcohol as al-ghul

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

we've found the real advanced race theory

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

tgacon posted:

I assumed middle-eastern, based mostly on referring to alcohol as al-ghul

He calls it al-ghul because he hates both middle easterners and alcohol.

I originally read him as slavic because he behaves like slav-supremacists I have met irl, but I think semanese is supposed to be black. And he does hate the potatoes.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I was about to go along with Measurehead’s fascist ideology so I could get past him, but then I decided to spinkick him in the head instead.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

wizardofloneliness posted:

I was about to go along with Measurehead’s fascist ideology so I could get past him, but then I decided to spinkick him in the head instead.

one of the best hidden checks in the game: Savoir-Faire tells that Physical Instrument is dead wrong by contradicting him right away after you land the punch, then the player has to realize that the dancing pixie queen skill is absolutely dead loving right instead of Absolute Boxing Coach is, for me, one of the funniest moments at start

it is a pity how savoir-faire has so little interaction in general though

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
My interaction with Measurehead was particularly satisfying because I flubbed the check on the first punch and then immediately tried again, succeeded, and did the spin kick to follow up, which also succeeded. So it was this hilarious moment of Harry getting his fist crushed by this huge guy, having to admit defeat, and then half-light going "swing at him again he'll never expect it" and it works.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Measurehead is Semenese, who in the world are a people from an island nation that has been colonized and subjugated by the Occidental powers. Measurehead's whole thing is that Harry and other Occidental people used to be the master race of the world but in his mind have become decadent and weak, borrowing a lot of rhetoric that you'd see about anyone whining about the decline of the west on 4chan. If you pursue the dialogue you can actually see how much he has to contort history and biology to fit his worldview, and it doesn't take long to poke holes in it (he is dating one of the "potat people," the union doesn't share his ideology etc)

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Most significantly, he idolises an isola he's only ever heard about over the radio.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

My interaction with Measurehead was particularly satisfying because I flubbed the check on the first punch and then immediately tried again, succeeded, and did the spin kick to follow up, which also succeeded. So it was this hilarious moment of Harry getting his fist crushed by this huge guy, having to admit defeat, and then half-light going "swing at him again he'll never expect it" and it works.

Yeah, I failed miserably at first, but then figured what the hell I’ll do it again. Talking to one of the union guys before the second attempt raises your chances a bit. It was definitely one of the best “oh poo poo” moments in the game. Kim was so impressed he even mentions it again later on.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Simpsons memes are going strange new places

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

JustaDamnFool posted:

Most significantly, he idolises an isola he's only ever heard about over the radio.

Yup. Measurehead is Revachol born and raised and has never been anywhere else.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Measurehead is definitely meant to be black, and the closest thing to a real-world version of his ideology is probably Hoteps. Definitely the same theme of creating a worldview around a fantasy idea of a homeland he has no meaningful connection to beyond genetics while his actual ideology and beliefs are all appropriated from white people's own racist fantasies.

Even in-universe, people find it impossible to take him seriously, they consider his ideology to be nonsensical even by racist standards and his women just like him because he's hot. Attempting to internalise his worldview just results in parroting it back to him, and his ideas of other races come off as more different races of a fantasy setting. (Which to be fair is already something with a lot of unexamined assumptions that can end up getting super racist super fast. I wonder if it's not unrelated that the abortive radiocomputer game involves a supremacist movement among a fantasy species)

On another note: there may be fertile meme soil given how much dialogue Homer has with his own brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juj0yeI_9Fg
He definitely has high Electrochemistry.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 29, 2020

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah there’s been some real good ones on that front

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah there’s been some real good ones on that front

lmao that second one is great

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Samovar posted:

Something to hopefully cheer us up:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

On another note: there may be fertile meme soil given how much dialogue Homer has with his own brain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Juj0yeI_9Fg
He definitely has high Electrochemistry.

"To find Flanders, I just have to think like Flanders!" is 100% how esprit de corps works.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

managed to get the peaceful final dream. think the only potential playthroughs left for me are supercop and maybe botchcop. game good

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

World War Mammories posted:

managed to get the peaceful final dream. think the only potential playthroughs left for me are supercop and maybe botchcop. game good

How do you get that?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sebmojo posted:

How do you get that?

you have to avoid everything that triggers memories of dora. the game mentions three things to dodge but there may be more - don't have an exhaustive list of what trips the "harry_remembers_his_ex" flag or whatever. but here's the scene and what I did:

I was worried that two or three mentions of Dolores Dei could have precluded it - Kim mentioned her when talking about the body's tattoos, and Joyce as well during her story of the discovery of Insulinde - but apparently not. jamais vu and the reality lowdown didn't seem to be a problem either. I never cracked open the ledger's hidden compartment nor got the jeans with the gum wrapper to avoid any odors of apricot, never entered the church or talked to andre and company, never dialed either phone, never clicked on the shelf with the book about the innocences. the dialogue with the phasmid even accounted for it:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

you have to avoid everything that triggers memories of dora. the game mentions three things to dodge but there may be more - don't have an exhaustive list of what trips the "harry_remembers_his_ex" flag or whatever. but here's the scene and what I did:

I was worried that two or three mentions of Dolores Dei could have precluded it - Kim mentioned her when talking about the body's tattoos, and Joyce as well during her story of the discovery of Insulinde - but apparently not. jamais vu and the reality lowdown didn't seem to be a problem either. I never cracked open the ledger's hidden compartment nor got the jeans with the gum wrapper to avoid any odors of apricot, never entered the church or talked to andre and company, never dialed either phone, never clicked on the shelf with the book about the innocences. the dialogue with the phasmid even accounted for it:

That's cool. I thought learning about her was unavoidable like your name or people knowing about your memory loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

God drat this game cuts deep sometimes.