Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Thanks for the keeper responses. It's just 2 players and I think I should probably make the value plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol real glad I bid on Lamichael Perine right before his ankle injury news broke yesterday.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
So thread consensus is that I should still take him at #4 in my half ppr league that's drafting tonight?

I've been pretty nervous about cook this whole off-season and it feels bad to be worried about who I was planning on taking.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the most important thing to do in the first round is not blow your season. I wouldn’t take cook or kamara in the first today. there are other great players.

winning the season is done by hitting in mid/late rounds or waivers. losing the season is done by drafting busts in three first few rounds.

sole excerption is like 17 years ago when LT2 got a bazillion TDs

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Keepers have been selected and this is what our eligibility looks like for the first few expected picks. I'm sitting at pick #5 and expect Zeke and Thomas to be #1 & #2. I'd be super happy if CEH was still there for me at #5, but I think I'd really have to think about it if Julio was, for some reason, still there too (it's a 2Qb league so someone might grab a QB or Mixon before my pick).

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If it's a 2QB league is it safe to assume Mahomes and Jackson were kept?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

If it's a 2QB league is it safe to assume Mahomes and Jackson were kept?

Yep, both were keepers, with Mahomes kept as a 15th(!) rounder. QB keepers this year are:
- Mahomes
- Jackson
- Garappolo
- Brady
- Murray
- Watson

Also just realized this is the first year with 0 TE's being kept, so Kelce might throw a wrench in to things as well.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Gearman posted:

Yep, both were keepers, with Mahomes kept as a 15th(!) rounder. QB keepers this year are:
- Mahomes
- Jackson
- Garappolo
- Brady
- Murray
- Watson

Also just realized this is the first year with 0 TE's being kept, so Kelce might throw a wrench in to things as well.

Which keepers do you have and how many teams are there? I would be tempted to grab Prescott or Wilson if you do not have a QB keeper (or if you are the one with Garappolo) in a 2 QB league, unless a top tier RB falls to you which seems unlikely.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 1, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Pain of Mind posted:

Which keepers do you have and how many teams are there? I might be tempted to grab Prescott or Wilson if you do not have a QB keeper (or if you are the one with Garappolo) in a 2 QB league, unless a top tier RB falls to you which seems unlikely.

10 teams, and I went with Conner (7th) and Chubb (9th). We start 2QB/2RB/3WR/TE/2RBWRTE, 0.5 PPR. In the past I typically grab two top QBs with my 2nd and 3rd round picks. I think, compared to most superflex/2QB leagues, the people in this league draft QBs much later.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
I went Derrick Henry lol. Sorry thread

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Gearman posted:

10 teams, and I went with Conner (7th) and Chubb (9th). We start 2QB/2RB/3WR/TE/2RBWRTE, 0.5 PPR. In the past I typically grab two top QBs with my 2nd and 3rd round picks. I think, compared to most superflex/2QB leagues, the people in this league draft QBs much later.

With that many flex position players I can see taking one of those RB, Kelce, or some of those top WR over a QB, especially if you know the leagues tendencies to grab QB later.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
First draft in the books. An auction draft in a 16 team guillotine league. Went hard at RBs early, not really happy with my WR picks, but I should be good enough to last the first few weeks and improve as teams get chopped. Luckily depth is not really important early on in guillotines.

$200 budget, 16 team guillotine, .5 PPR

1. (3) Ezekiel Elliott (Dal - RB) $69
2. (7) Alvin Kamara (NO - RB) $59
3. (57) Deshaun Watson (Hou - QB) $19
4. (59) Keenan Allen (LAC - WR) $20
5. (71) DeVante Parker (Mia - WR) $12
6. (97) Marvin Jones Jr. (Det - WR) $7
7. (117) Evan Engram (NYG - TE) $7
8. (146) Michael Badgley (LAC - K) $1
9. (173) Devonta Freeman (Atl - RB) $1
10. (186) Tyrell Williams (LV - WR) $1
11. (198) N'Keal Harry (NE - WR) $1
12. (207) Bryce Love (Was - RB) $1
13. (215) Frank Gore (NYJ - RB) $1
14. (221) John Ross III (Cin - WR) $1

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

dxt posted:

First draft in the books. An auction draft in a 16 team guillotine league. Went hard at RBs early, not really happy with my WR picks, but I should be good enough to last the first few weeks and improve as teams get chopped. Luckily depth is not really important early on in guillotines.

$200 budget, 16 team guillotine, .5 PPR

1. (3) Ezekiel Elliott (Dal - RB) $69
2. (7) Alvin Kamara (NO - RB) $59
3. (57) Deshaun Watson (Hou - QB) $19
4. (59) Keenan Allen (LAC - WR) $20
5. (71) DeVante Parker (Mia - WR) $12
6. (97) Marvin Jones Jr. (Det - WR) $7
7. (117) Evan Engram (NYG - TE) $7
8. (146) Michael Badgley (LAC - K) $1
9. (173) Devonta Freeman (Atl - RB) $1
10. (186) Tyrell Williams (LV - WR) $1
11. (198) N'Keal Harry (NE - WR) $1
12. (207) Bryce Love (Was - RB) $1
13. (215) Frank Gore (NYJ - RB) $1
14. (221) John Ross III (Cin - WR) $1

That's looks like a really strong team for a 16 man league. I think your wide receivers are fine for getting both Zeke and Kamara. I really like Marvin Jones this year if he can stay healthy and Allen should still get peppered with targets. Just better hope Kamara doesn't hold out week one!

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Our commissioner has decided that’s he’s going to release our draft order 8 hours prior to the draft. Looks like I’m gonna need to come up with draft plans for each potential position :negative:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Kloaked00 posted:

Our commissioner has decided that’s he’s going to release our draft order 8 hours prior to the draft. Looks like I’m gonna need to come up with draft plans for each potential position :negative:

Your commissioner is a dick.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Seriously wtf. Our commissioner said he'd release order a couple days before the draft and we said, "why not now?" And he was like, oh yeah I guess there's no reason not to.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I like the thrill of drawing a number out of a hat and knowing 15 minutes before the draft. Knowing the draft spot far in advance makes it feel "rehearsed" for the lack of a better term, where you do not need to consider different draft strategies based on your spot.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 1, 2020

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
My commissioner this year announced that we were moving from .5 to full PPR 20 minutes before the draft started lol.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pain of Mind posted:

I like the thrill of drawing a number out of a hat and knowing 15 minutes before the draft. Knowing the draft spot far in advance makes it feel "rehearsed" for the lack of a better term, where you do not need to consider different draft strategies based on your spot.

Agreed. I like not knowing until right before the draft.

Thom and the Heads posted:

My commissioner this year announced that we were moving from .5 to full PPR 20 minutes before the draft started lol.

This is basically cheating.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

So he gave himself a large advantage in preparation and everyone else was just like “oh ok”?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

If that's a money league then that change should only be made subject to a vote. Absolutely ridiculous.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

Your commissioner is a dick.

counterpoint; default settings for many free league providers randomize snakes an hour prior to draft.

(the best way to do a draft is an auction and all other methods should be banned)

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

dkj posted:

So he gave himself a large advantage in preparation and everyone else was just like “oh ok”?

shirts and skins posted:

If that's a money league then that change should only be made subject to a vote. Absolutely ridiculous.

I wasn't too happy about it. Myself and another guy spoke up but everyone else wanted to just go ahead with the draft. Only a $20 league but I was mocking .5 in preparation for like a week and a half beforehand. Very lovely maneuver.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I wasn't too happy about it. Myself and another guy spoke up but everyone else wanted to just go ahead with the draft. Only a $20 league but I was mocking .5 in preparation for like a week and a half beforehand. Very lovely maneuver.

leave that league immediately, you have a trash commissioner

I've been running a $30 league for over a decade and every rules change that impacts the draft is announced before the league buy-in is due, which is 1 week before the draft. Past the buy-in date things are set in stone unless unanimously agreed upon.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

pmchem posted:

counterpoint; default settings for many free league providers randomize snakes an hour prior to draft.

(the best way to do a draft is an auction and all other methods should be banned)

While auction is by far the most skill based and fair, I mostly care about leagues with people I know IRL, and good luck getting a bunch of random coworkers of mixed fantasy experience to do a 4 hour auction. Would probably drop my 14 team work league down to 6 teams.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pain of Mind posted:

While auction is by far the most skill based and fair, I mostly care about leagues with people I know IRL, and good luck getting a bunch of random coworkers of mixed fantasy experience to do a 4 hour auction. Would probably drop my 14 team work league down to 6 teams.

The league I run (referenced in post above) is 14-team auction and our draft typically takes only 2-2.5 hours. That's including IDP and punter on top of a normal roster, and pauses so that people can go get drinks, piss, etc. Some people are done with the draft after 90 minutes because they splurge early and nominate all their own targets. If you have a 4 hour auction then you really need to change your nomination/bid timers or you have like a 10 man bench and 4 flex starters.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
In my experience, Casuals think that auction takes too long (it does take longer than snake, but not ridiculously so) and is too complicated (false). It's hard to budge them from those ideas unless you force it upon them.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

pmchem posted:

The league I run (referenced in post above) is 14-team auction and our draft typically takes only 2-2.5 hours. That's including IDP and punter on top of a normal roster, and pauses so that people can go get drinks, piss, etc. Some people are done with the draft after 90 minutes because they splurge early and nominate all their own targets. If you have a 4 hour auction then you really need to change your nomination/bid timers or you have like a 10 man bench and 4 flex starters.

Honestly, I have not done an auction in years so I am probably just wrong on the amount of time it takes. Either way it would still drive away 75% of the more casual people in my IRL leagues. Not because of the time or anything, but because it is much more active vs passive in your football knowledge. Someone who does not follow football can just follow an ADP list and have a reasonable team. You can always follow a price guide as well, but it is still much more active to be bidding on players rather than picking the guy who is on the top of a list. I am not saying snake is better than auction, but it does have its place for very mixed skill/interest leagues that are more about socializing than hardcore football.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 1, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

coronaball posted:

In my experience, Casuals think that auction takes too long (it does take longer than snake, but not ridiculously so) and is too complicated (false). It's hard to budge them from those ideas unless you force it upon them.

that's pretty much what happened in our league when we went from snake to auction. some people were skeptical but now they love it.

we also have a keeper gimmick where you can keep one player for next year that you bought at auction this year for $15 or less and who remained on your roster all season long.

leads to hilarious auction tension when a rookie or sleeper is bid up to $15. will someone go $16?? yes, just to spite the person out of a keeper. the "spite 16".

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Best way to get people to convert to auction is to start with FAAB waivers and then propose going to auction draft the next year. "You know how you were able to get the guy you wanted off of waivers? Imagine if you could do that...during the draft!"

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Gearman posted:

Best way to get people to convert to auction is to start with FAAB waivers and then propose going to auction draft the next year. "You know how you were able to get the guy you wanted off of waivers? Imagine if you could do that...during the draft!"

Amusingly, that auction league I run has been resistant to FAAB. They're lazy in-season and just want normal waivers. We did FAAB one season while on MFL but they hated it, in part because of MFL. We were on ESPN every other season before and since. I may revisit FAAB next year.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

pmchem posted:

So many people not knowing the joy and pain of literally not having a draft order until the room launches

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1300867507306328065?s=19

Mixon draftable once again.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

First word of that tweet is the scariest part about drafting him, but I guess where he is going all of the RBs have potential flaws or they would be 5 picks higher.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 1, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Got a trade offer in my league earlier from a guy offering Edelman, James Conner and Latavius Murray for Mixon and at the time it sounded pretty good. Glad I checked twitter.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Gearman posted:

The most effective argument for auctions are that everyone has the potential to participate for every pick and that everyone has the potential to get a stud.

The entire auction draft may last longer than the snake, but you feel individually engaged for every pick because you can bid. Way better than mindlessly waiting for your pick to come back.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The most effective argument for auctions are that everyone has the potential to participate for every pick and that everyone has the potential to get a stud.

The entire auction draft may last longer than the snake, but you feel individually engaged for every pick because you can bid. Way better than mindlessly waiting for your pick to come back.

yup, it's fundamentally more fair.

This season, if you don't have the #1 pick, you are almost certainly not getting CMC in snake.

In an auction, anyone can get CMC. It's a matter of who wants him the most. Same goes for every other player.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
In years past we had a thread for specific player acquisitions and sit/starts.

I don't see it for this year so I'm gonna ask this thread;

I need to hit a lottery ticket WR from waivers, pick two of the following;

Mecole Hardman KC - WR
Justin Jefferson Min - WR
Jalen Reagor Phi - WR
Robby Anderson Car - WR
DeSean Jackson Phi - WR

Note:
  • I have Patrick Mahomes and Tyreek Hill.
  • 0.5 PPR League
  • I have both Phi TEs (Ertz and Goedert)
  • SHARE your hot takes on potential hidden gems

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Saints interested in trading Kamara

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

In years past we had a thread for specific player acquisitions and sit/starts.

I don't see it for this year so I'm gonna ask this thread;

I need to hit a lottery ticket WR from waivers, pick two of the following;

Mecole Hardman KC - WR
Justin Jefferson Min - WR
Jalen Reagor Phi - WR
Robby Anderson Car - WR
DeSean Jackson Phi - WR

Note:
  • I have Patrick Mahomes and Tyreek Hill.
  • 0.5 PPR League
  • I have both Phi TEs (Ertz and Goedert)
  • SHARE your hot takes on potential hidden gems

I think Reagor is the highest upside lotto ticket there. He is injured, but he is supposed to be back before bye weeks start happening so depth is a little less necessary and every other PHI WR is also perpetually injured so he could get a decent amount of playing time. The rest are all :shrug: . Lots of good best ball receivers, but good luck predicting their 2 multi TD games a year.