Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i'm definitely gonna get a mach e whenever they're actually available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PIZZA.BAT posted:

good luck if you're in usa 'cause they're prioritizing the eu for those sweet carbon credits

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah i know hence the 'whenever they're actually available' part

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i know hence the 'whenever they're actually available' part

yeah I’m just a little frustrated how every other EV is scarce here. Tesla wasn’t my first choice in 2018, I wanted a Kia niro EV but there was no way, their excuse is limited battery supply

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

the electric Kona is pretty sweet

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm gonna be entirely honest, driving a loving Tesla is one thing, but driving in flip flops is another, get yourself some proper sandals like a German tourist, you don't have to wear socks in them like they do, and notice how they are way less poo poo for driving and have a much lesser risk of loving with the accelerator when you really don't want it to happen.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
also what's with keeping the ac 20 fahrenheit below the outside temp. get some snow boots to drive in

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

SIGSEGV posted:

I'm gonna be entirely honest, driving a loving Tesla is one thing, but driving in flip flops is another, get yourself some proper sandals like a German tourist, you don't have to wear socks in them like they do, and notice how they are way less poo poo for driving and have a much lesser risk of loving with the accelerator when you really don't want it to happen.

or just take 1/10th of a second to kick them off when you get in the car.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

think about how good voice control was before Google Assistant / Siri / Alexa had a few years of updates, then imagine having 2011 assistants, or software the quality of, drilled into your loving skull.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My brain battery exploded because I charged it in funny warp mode wow one too many times but now I love car always.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

or just take 1/10th of a second to kick them off when you get in the car.

Nah, driving barefoot also sucks, also I'm fairly sure that over here, driving either barefoot or in flip flops is illegal basically because it sucks for the user and will make them underperform.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i frequently drive barefoot because i am a pervert

also i just stick my sandals underneath the seat, it's the easiest thing in the world not to crash your car by jamming up the pedals that way why wouldn't you do that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

these are neat. my next car will likely be electric, but i'm also not getting another car until i have somewhere i can put a charger, so it may be awhile, at which point maybe they will have wide availability!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

good news everyone! tesla is up 8% so far today on news of ??? and ?????

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

good news everyone! tesla is up 8% so far today on news of ??? and ?????

stock split

People are insanely dumb

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

wasnt the '420 funding secure' tweet like 9 months ago

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i cannot wait for the enronesque book on how all these companies are stacked against each other

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TK-42-1 posted:

wasnt the '420 funding secure' tweet like 9 months ago

like two years

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I can remain irrational as long as I can huff solvents (that emanate from the unfinished interior in my tesla)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NFX posted:

also what's with keeping the ac 20 fahrenheit below the outside temp. get some snow boots to drive in
You vary your AC setting with the outside weather? Mine just sits at 72F (~22C) at all times unless I'm looking for max blast mode in either direction, so >20F difference from the outside temperature is not that unusual when it gets hot out.

I mean setting the AC to 65 F is a bit weird on its own, but I've never thought about the difference from outside temp in any way other than "how long is it going to take to get to my target temp".

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

i kicked my ac down to 18c cause it wasn't working until they swapped the 12V battery in so i was basking in it. usually, i keep mine at 21c

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I just leave mine on "LOW" for the summer, yolo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mine is on "2" and "all the way blue" during the summer

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This is insane but it would actually work in terms of the "growth" narrative

https://twitter.com/tslaqpodcast/status/1300474880614371328?s=20

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Ars' resident Muskstan posted:

Tesla has released a new version of its Autopilot software that adds the ability to read speed limit signs, improving the accuracy of the speed limits displayed on the dashboard. The new version of the software also recognizes when a stoplight turns green.

Literally the Toyota Corolla I rented yesterday has that feature. Good job catching up I guess?

In fairness Toyota doesn't have like a million slobbering fanboys to trumpet each incremental improvement in cruise control, which is probably why it took me like 40 minutes to figure out wtf that feature on my dashboard did.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

afaik every manufacturer who makes cars which read speed limit signs require royalties paid to Mobileye so i'm curious to know how tesla got around it now

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

afaik every manufacturer who makes cars which read speed limit signs require royalties paid to Mobileye so i'm curious to know how tesla got around it now
Probably by not giving a poo poo about whether they get sued.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mystes posted:

I mean they don't pay their regular suppliers either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MomJeans420 posted:

This is insane but it would actually work in terms of the "growth" narrative

https://twitter.com/tslaqpodcast/status/1300474880614371328?s=20

who would stop him?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

is there any indication that they can/do read speed limit signs, as opposed to just using whatever is tagged on the map?

e: i know this says they are, but are they?

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 31, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mrmcd posted:

Literally the Toyota Corolla I rented yesterday has that feature. Good job catching up I guess?

In fairness Toyota doesn't have like a million slobbering fanboys to trumpet each incremental improvement in cruise control, which is probably why it took me like 40 minutes to figure out wtf that feature on my dashboard did.

the og AP hardware in the model s could too, but it was using mobileye to do it. it also didn't work that great.

supposedly the "new" feature is only being enabled on the latest gen AP hardware, and only in the us. presumably because europe has "laws" and "consequences for breaking laws"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gonna buy 4 tesla stock think it'll be back at 1200 by next weekend?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

infernal machines posted:

is there any indication that they can/do read speed limit signs, as opposed to just using whatever is tagged on the map?

they can, it’s just the whole Mobileye patent issue they’re getting around somehow

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's a problem for years from now, after they've dragged out the litigation as long as possible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

there are pictures of teslas on autopilot in the bay area showing a highway 101 sign as a 105mph speed limit sign

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

there are pictures of teslas on autopilot in the bay area showing a highway 101 sign as a 105mph speed limit sign

the one from a few years back that's a model s using the mobileye hardware? it's a tweet?

e:

because they haven't had that feature since, and the feature was exclusive to the one model of AP hardware that had the mobileye stuff in it

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 1, 2020

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this thing that they're claiming now is separate from that, and if random people on the internet are to be believed, it's limited to only the latest generation AP hardware

i was mostly curious if anyone's shown it in action, both to see if it has the same issues as the old mobileye gear, and because i wouldn't put it past them to say they have it, and not*

*which would admittedly be a novel way of avoiding patent litigation

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 1, 2020

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

this thing that they're claiming now is separate from that, and if random people on the internet are to be believed, it's limited to only the latest generation AP hardware

i was mostly curious if anyone's shown it in action, both to see if it has the same issues as the old mobileye gear, and because i wouldn't put it past them to say they have it, and not*

*which would admittedly be a novel way of avoiding patent litigation

its a thing they say in south africa your honor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FilthyImp posted:

Gonna buy 4 tesla stock think it'll be back at 1200 by next weekend?

just buy fngu instead. it grows similar to tesla stocks and its not just one company, so its risk free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mystes posted:

Tesla ripped mobileye out of their AP because they were abusing it and mobileye basically told them to cut it out or else.
'Member when AP suddenly took a sharp turn for the worse at one point? That was why IIRC

The indication is that they get it wrong a surprising amount (especially road number signs confuse them), and they're trivially easy to spoof by printing a paper sign and hanging it on the side of the road. If instead of a paper sign you use a drone with a micro-projector you get a talk at Defcon

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 1, 2020