Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I haven't been this hyped for a new game since Mass Effect 3. I'm even cautiously optimistic that I won't be as disappointed by the ending :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LordMune posted:

hello to my new favorite poster

The art team truly went above and beyond. We all did; this is not a game Paradox Dev Studio could have released as late as just a couple of years ago. Not that there won't be missteps and disappointments (in other titles) in the future, but I feel CK3 has fundamentally transformed the games we make and how we make them.

:toot: Congrats!

I'm excited to go back to tutorial island tomorrow and learn all of what's new after 600 hours in CK2.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Ham posted:

Congrats on making what looks to be a phenomenal game, and I was also on the Stellaris train from the start! I'm curious though, what changed internally to allow for the kind of shift you speak of? Is it simply good project management and tech investment?

Probably some structural changes and investments, some of which have come naturally as a result of our growth. I think we've been on this trajectory for a long time — maybe since the studio was founded, the long arc of history — and CK3 happened to be the right envelope, at the right time, for us to push.

SubNat posted:

By the way, do you know if there's going to be an exporter of some kind to help with getting 3d models into the game?
Like how there is a maya plugin to allow for exporting the animated portraits in Stellaris?

3D is a slightly different beast than regular script+image based mods, after all.

There are discussions happening internally about what can be done to support asset modding, but at the moment we have nothing to share but what's about to be posted in the paradoxplaza modding forum on release.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

LordMune posted:

Probably some structural changes and investments, some of which have come naturally as a result of our growth. I think we've been on this trajectory for a long time — maybe since the studio was founded, the long arc of history — and CK3 happened to be the right envelope, at the right time, for us to push.

It could be just chance, but I remember there was a big jump in quality from Paradox when CK2 was released. CK2 was also a bit of a watershed moment too.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I am very surprised to see Jacksepticeye play this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzo2zXICrOI

I am looking forward to playing this game and I will just try to live as a simple English count, I hope it goes well.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

My only complaint is you guys wont release this today. We need this!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

LordMune posted:

There are discussions happening internally about what can be done to support asset modding, but at the moment we have nothing to share but what's about to be posted in the paradoxplaza modding forum on release.

e: Nevermind, found some pointers on the forums, and the Maya Exporter works with this title, so that's neat. :toot:

I guess we'll hear more about it after launch, I know I'll be more busy playing it than thinking about modding once it's actually out and I can play it.
Thanks for the reply and good luck with the launch, it must be hella exciting/nerve wracking.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 31, 2020

B B
Dec 1, 2005

SubNat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=289TqIqDLJQ
@ 9m:29s You can edit (I assume anyone in your direct 'household' as it were.) the clothes characters have.

I assume it overrides whatever they get by default from position + culture etc.

oh my god i cannot wait to play this

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I really wanted to play CK2, but I couldn't master the user interface. I am so psyched at what I'm seeing on the streams! Finally, I can murder my incestuous sister with a duck!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Supeerme posted:

I am very surprised to see Jacksepticeye play this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzo2zXICrOI

I am looking forward to playing this game and I will just try to live as a simple English count, I hope it goes well.

Irish guys yelling at each other.

Sold.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

OPB mentioned towards the beginning of his stream that at least some of the big mod teams had received early access to the game, which is nice to see.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I wonder if I'll still need UI mods. I find them really helpful in CK2/HOI4/EU4/Stellaris but since this has been built from the ground-up with a better UI maybe it won't need to be bigger to fit well on a 1080p or higher screen?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

a mysterious cloak posted:

Irish guys yelling at each other.

Sold.

I didn't expect these guys to get things so well, but they clearly understand CK well.

"Oh she's married...I'll take care of that"

"I could declare war on your kids..."

"My son's eight years old!"
"Yea he's next."

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

axeil posted:

I wonder if I'll still need UI mods. I find them really helpful in CK2/HOI4/EU4/Stellaris but since this has been built from the ground-up with a better UI maybe it won't need to be bigger to fit well on a 1080p or higher screen?

Ya it would be nice if Paradox finally realized that people play at resolutions higher than 1080p

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dramicus posted:

It could be just chance, but I remember there was a big jump in quality from Paradox when CK2 was released. CK2 was also a bit of a watershed moment too.

I remember the same, there definitely felt like a big step from pre- to post- CK2 games; compare something like Darkest Hour to Hearts of Iron IV, and whatever you say about the gameplay and AI issues Stellaris certainly doesn't lack for polish in presentation. And I remember how ubiquitous crashing was back in the day, for another example, whereas crashes now are pretty much only caused IME by mods not playing nice with each other. On the CK series in particular it seems especially fitting that CK3 looks like it's being received so well, given that 2 seems to be the thing that really made their name in the broader gaming world and was their biggest release until EU4 (IIRC).

Anno posted:

OPB mentioned towards the beginning of his stream that at least some of the big mod teams had received early access to the game, which is nice to see.

That's pretty cool, I know they've done similar with patches and I think the occasional DLCs before, but with an actual new game it's both nice that they can start figuring things out a little earlier but also a nice little bonus for them to get it a little ahead of schedule, kind of a thank you for how much modding contributes to Paradox games :unsmith:

These kind words don't mean I am forgiving the absence of Vicky III though, there's only one way to resolve that grudge. :colbert:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Spiffing Brit has a funny (to me) edited stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=289TqIqDLJQ

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

I can't wait for tomorrow. Took an extended Labor Day so I can get some time in with it. Gonna load up this song when I start it. I think the lyrics perfectly capture the setting of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIqGMtLGmOA

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

does anyone know if the game is still as restrictive with mods and achievements as other paradox titles?

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

First time pre-ordering a Paradox game after a decade of knowing better. Getting excited!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Davincie posted:

does anyone know if the game is still as restrictive with mods and achievements as other paradox titles?

No confirmation that I've seen, but it's almost guaranteed to be.
I kinda wish they'd let people get achievements per game/run, (Like how Factorio keeps track of achievements per game/map, separately of steam achievements.) so that atleast you could enjoy achievements (and have mods add new ones.) separately from the steam achievement system.

The only paradox title I can think of that got around that off the top of my head is Cities Skylines (Sure, published by them, not developed.) and the only reason that really worked was because the mods could dig deep enough into the game to just override the ( if mods == yes, then achievements = no. ) check.
You can still load up some small ui and cosmetic ones, but the moment the checksum changes you're out of luck.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

It's September 1st on half of the world already. Can we play now?? :f5:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Davincie posted:

I would certainly expect it to be the same. If you really care, you can just use Steam Achievement Manager to award yourself the cheevos you believe you deserve.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

strong bird posted:

Call the thread, the Crusader Kings 3 Megathread.

This.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm excited to give this a try after earnestly trying to get into CKII but never getting far because of being confused as gently caress and the UI. I'm trying the Windows 10 Kiribati region thing that let me play Flight Simulator early on gamepass and it's not working. There's still one time zone in Kiribati where it's not 12PM so maybe in an hour it'll work?? 🤞

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

OPB also mentioned that the dev console is accessed by turning on debug mode now, which adds a bunch of common commands (add money/renown, kill character etc) to the dropdown menus.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

I thought it was a global release timing

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

papersack posted:

I thought it was a global release timing

Ah, maybe that only worked on Flight Simulator then. I saw the Xbox page said Sep 1 12PM so I figured I'd try to time warp ahead to see.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Pom posted:

OPB also mentioned that the dev console is accessed by turning on debug mode now, which adds a bunch of common commands (add money/renown, kill character etc) to the dropdown menus.

They are going to put the cheat modders out of business!

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

explosivo posted:

Ah, maybe that only worked on Flight Simulator then. I saw the Xbox page said Sep 1 12PM so I figured I'd try to time warp ahead to see.

About 16.5 hours after my post is when the game will drop.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Jaytan posted:

About 16.5 hours after my post is when the game will drop.

Couldn’t you have posted this yesterday? What’s wrong with you?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Spiffing Brit has a funny (to me) edited stream. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=289TqIqDLJQ

That wasn't the edited stream we didn't stream the game til today due to the embargo.

And since everyone reviewed the game already I'm going to too. It's a banger. You'll need to get used to the new menus and map filters but there's way more customization in all areas. You also get all the DLC from CK2 so everything you missed out on is in this now. The game focuses way more on the macro idea of a nation rather than an individual family, if that makes sense. Every character is valuable due to the lifestyle tree and it takes time to grow your culture (Tech). Murdering people has a cooldown as in if you want to murder someone, start it, and cancel it, you will now have a cooldown of ten years. Speaking of which triggered events are changed to have a timer based on skill level. So it'll tell you how long it will take to fabricate a claim, for instance. War's a bit slower due to stronger attrition penalties but you can get around it by correctly taking castles out in order before getting to your main target. CPUs also feel smarter/harder. One actually took my capital which feels like it never happens. Gold is super important now. You have to fuel everything from your retinues to your holdings to your hooks. Holdings have also vastly been improved so you can tech up your faction through economy/military. You can beat armies twice your sized based purely on bonuses from your holdings alone now.

They neutered the trait part of the game where you try to gather as many as you can in a neat little pile but that's about it. You still get a lot of events that essentially give your character traits just like in CK2 but they stick around for about 10 years.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Doltos posted:

The game focuses way more on the macro idea of a nation rather than an individual family, if that makes sense.

This actually worries me. I LIKED CK2 because it was focused on my character and my family. If I wanna play a nation game I could just play EU4 or any other game. I'm interested in the life of King Cadwgan and his heirs, less so about the Kingdom of Wales. The nation is just a backdrop setting for my character's story.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 1, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Doltos posted:

That wasn't the edited stream we didn't stream the game til today due to the embargo.
Sorry, I saw the "welcome backs" and assumed it was an edit of something. Anyway, it was very funny and I've subscribed.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Well you're in luck because now you can not only play King Cadwgan and his heirs but you can have a new stat completely dedicated to your family tree. It's called prestige and it's another techish type of deal that prevents you from disinheriting everyone and randomly killing off your children.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

CommunityEdition posted:

Couldn’t you have posted this yesterday? What’s wrong with you?

Sorry mortal your concept of time is hard for a god to track.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This actually worries me. I LIKED CK2 because it was focused on my character and my family. If I wanna play a nation game I could just play EU4 or any other game. I'm interested in the life of King Cadwgan and his heirs, less so about the Kingdom of Wales. The nation is just a backdrop setting for my character's story.

Similarly, improving the nation side of things really helps increasing the importance of the characters and gives them more to actually do.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I completely agree. This sounds like a major step backwards. Find out tomorrow.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

I'm not crying, someone is cutting onions in here...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's really not that much of an issue. Through making the game more macro it also gives way more customization to your player character and heirs. Like it's more that all your decisions matter less than none of your decisions matter. The lifestyle tree is just super important now.

What I don't like is how they reduced the amount of traits your player gets because again the lifestyle tree is very important. That isn't even really a bad thing, it's just different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

canepazzo posted:

Florry just showed inbreeding in the Encyclopedia, apparently if you consistently inbreed throughout the generations you have a chance of getting the "pure-blood" trait, which makes offspring immune to birth defects due to all flaws having been bred out of the bloodline :psyduck:

Are custom rulers in? The McPoyle's are making a comeback I think.

Crusader Kings 3: It's always sunny in the Holy Land.