Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

So I’ve now had this for five days. I’ve already noticed an improvement in my endurance. I hadn’t been working out much at all since Lockdown in March, (and actually a little before then if I’m being honest). So I’m very happy with this game so far.

Also, I see all the enemies are designed around weight equipment, but the hopling doesn’t look like anything I recognize. Is it just a generic tadpole monster or am I not seeing what it’s supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think it's just "goblin" but with "hop."

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

They’re just generic JRPG monsters, really.

But yeah the Belldogs and Matta Rays and Protean Shakers are pretty inspired monsters.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know what happens if you get caught by birds or slinkbugs?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
You lose 500 coins.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Ring day 2:
Ring -2
Kart Barf-0

I’ve been completely laid out again but it’s worth it.

Yesterday was my second day. Had to take a day off today because my quads were so sore. Game is super good and precisely what the doctor ordered!

(My doctor literally told me to do light cardio)

Edit: phone paying is hard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just finished day 9. Let me tell you it's a :negative: feeling to be sweating and shaking so drat much and only see like "10:23" on that loving stopwatch

Speaking of which. I've always just stopped when the game suggests I do so; is that based on time moved too?

(dragaux one-shot me 'cos i raised the difficulty and ab guard didn't go glowy. I blame the ringcon for that :mad:)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Uh I probably should have paid attention that I was entering the final level and Also that it is like an hour long, I probably wouldn't have started it in the middle of the hottest part of the day

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ciaphas posted:

Just finished day 9. Let me tell you it's a :negative: feeling to be sweating and shaking so drat much and only see like "10:23" on that loving stopwatch

Speaking of which. I've always just stopped when the game suggests I do so; is that based on time moved too?

(dragaux one-shot me 'cos i raised the difficulty and ab guard didn't go glowy. I blame the ringcon for that :mad:)

It always suggests you stop after two levels I think, maybe after 15-20 minutes whichever comes first. I have an Apple Watch and time myself on it using the workout app, maybe set a timer so you know how much real world time you are working out for?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uh I probably should have paid attention that I was entering the final level and Also that it is like an hour long, I probably wouldn't have started it in the middle of the hottest part of the day

Update: did it :toot:

F off pulse measurer that was not "moderate exercise" lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I find it’s best to set your difficulty where you’re just barely able to finish two levels, I think that’s what the game intends for you.

For the ab guard, on the very first squeeze you use to start the game/calibrate, do you get it to 100%? If not, I’d say recalibrate. Also an easy way to prevent one shotting is to enable the options to finish the exercise even if you’ve KOed the enemy; that will get you one or two levels above the recommended.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
It seems to me that the game suggests a break for every time you pass a 10 minute increment on the clock

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

I find it’s best to set your difficulty where you’re just barely able to finish two levels, I think that’s what the game intends for you.

For the ab guard, on the very first squeeze you use to start the game/calibrate, do you get it to 100%? If not, I’d say recalibrate. Also an easy way to prevent one shotting is to enable the options to finish the exercise even if you’ve KOed the enemy; that will get you one or two levels above the recommended.

Now that you mention it, I'd left the switch asleep in Ring Fit Adventure before exercise yesterday, so I didn't recalibrate at all. I'll restart the game before I have a go today, see if that helps.

And good shout on that finish option - I was thinking about turning that on anyway, because aborting the exercise partway thru throws the hell out of me :v:

by the way, when you say two levels you mean two levels, not two whole worlds... right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also if Warrior 1 is an example of later yoga exercises I'm gonna be in reeeeeal trouble. My balance is uncertain at best, and I know my form's no good

(e) fack, that was reply, not edit :doh:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Warrior 1 is babytown frolics compared to Warrior 3.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ciaphas posted:

also if Warrior 1 is an example of later yoga exercises I'm gonna be in reeeeeal trouble. My balance is uncertain at best, and I know my form's no good

(e) fack, that was reply, not edit :doh:

Hoo boy just you wait! Tree, Warrior III and Revolved Crescent Lunge are gonna be the bane of your existence.

Edit: look up YouTube videos that go into detail about how to get form right, form is the most important thing in yoga. As long as your form is good it doesn’t matter how deep you go into the pose, you’ll still get something out of it.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 23, 2020

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

by the way, when you say two levels you mean two levels, not two whole worlds... right?

Levels not worlds lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Finishing the story took me about 40 hours and I did it mainly by doing two levels + adjacent minigames each session.

If it was a boss fight or something maybe one level

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Friendship ended with PLANK now MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS is my best friend

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Finishing the story took me about 40 hours and I did it mainly by doing two levels + adjacent minigames each session.

If it was a boss fight or something maybe one level

world 2 dragaux (and the jog to him, won't lie) was enough to wreck me this morning. Nine minutes moving
:negative: <-- me irl

(i mean i'm improving but still. idk where this 'runner's high' stuff is but I could sure use the internal encouragement)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 24, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

My first day completing three levels. Oh my god I sweat so much. But already I’m doing twice the exercise time as last week.

Victory stretch!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What is the best way to clean the wheel and strap from sweat?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What is the best way to clean the wheel and strap from sweat?

You should be able to wipe down the ring. The cushions are Velcro'd on and come off pretty easy. For the hand cushions and leg strap though I'd say either hand wash or put them in a laundry bag on the gentle cycle. I don't know that they need to be treated that delicately, but why chance it. So far as I know they don't sell the peripherals without the game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I googled it and Nintendo says hand wash only for the grips, I don’t think you should need to wash the leg strap but I suppose it’s the same.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Never wash anything, you’re supposed to show off about it like the grime that builds up on a bbq restaurant’s smoker

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
FWIW I've been hand washing the leg strap and just letting it air dry.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
It's two giant translucent disembodied torsos grinding away at each other. :allears:
Nothin' gay about it, it's just the Abdonis battle.

I love how the themeing of the game a kind of straight faced silliness.
Ring: "We used to be friends Dragaux! How could you do this?!"
Dragaux (a top heavy dragon man wearing a leotard balancing on a ball that resembles a pufferfish): "Meh."

Pro tip from the pro playing pros at game pro dot com:
get some wrap around wrist weights, like 2-5 pounds. It doesn't seem like much, but you'll feel it after an hour of flapping your arms around.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

What is the Ab Guard (and other things where I press the ring into my stomach) supposed to work out? He keeps saying "you should feel it in your stomach, not in your arms" but I feel like I'm just flexing my abs and pushing on them a little bit, which doesn't seem productive in terms of exercise.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hello thread!

This is the best Sonic the Hedgehog game I've ever played.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Friend posted:

What is the Ab Guard (and other things where I press the ring into my stomach) supposed to work out? He keeps saying "you should feel it in your stomach, not in your arms" but I feel like I'm just flexing my abs and pushing on them a little bit, which doesn't seem productive in terms of exercise.

Squeezing your core is an isometric exercise. Pushing against it creates resistance, forcing you to squeeze harder to avoid hurting yourself. You should be pushing on them more than a little bit to achieve the fullest block. When you block, is your hair on fire and the shield massive and glowing? If not try pushing harder.

When you have to push on your abs while squatting... that’s really tough. You’ll feel that.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 27, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fun fact: when I ordered the game (through Best Buy, I was watching their site for some to be in stock), UPS delivered it to the wrong house, and I had to refund it and buy another one. Then on the day that one came, my neighbors came by with my other copy (they had received a bunch of wedding gifts and it took them a while to realize one wasn't addressed to them). I gave my extra free copy to a friend instead of selling it for a profit on ebay.

By the way, I've never used the game in multitask mode... But lately when I've started up the game, Tipp congratulates me for using multitask mode. What's the deal with that?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Rotten Red Rod posted:

By the way, I've never used the game in multitask mode... But lately when I've started up the game, Tipp congratulates me for using multitask mode. What's the deal with that?

When you do multitask mode you can either redeem the points yourself or send them to a friend who plays the game, so I’d assume your friend is responsible.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got mountain climbers last night, almost passed out

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m finding that setting the fit skills before a mission (esp Dragaux) becomes more of a process the more skills I have to balance. How do you choose what’s best?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It becomes less of a problem as you get more skill slots. Eventually you'll have enough to set 2-3 skills of each color and a healing skill. At that point, it's pretty easy: your best single-target and best area-effect attack of each color (or two best area-effect attacks if your single target is lagging) and your best heal.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Unless I'm about to fight a boss that's weak to a specific color, I usually have one red skill for each targeting type (1, 3, and 5), one yellow skill for each, a 1-target blue and a 3-target blue, and a 3-target green and a 5-target green. Healing skills have never seemed useful to me at all, in my experience it's rare to need a single-target yoga skill (especially because the yoga-themed boss does not count as green), and I just hate both 5-target blue skills.

For NG and NG+ I mostly just used whatever had the strongest attack power; everything gets equalized on NG++ and there are no cooldowns so instead I just cycle through them in order as I use them to make sure I'm getting a good variety.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Agreed that healing seems useless, especially when you have smoothies available and it doesn't waste a turn.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

See, I didn't see it as wasting a turn. It was a way to A) avoid the annoyance of making healing smoothies, B) get a breather between more vigorous exercises, and C) earn more experience. Also there are bosses that prevent you from using smoothies.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

To my min-maxing brain, using a healing skill for a turn felt self-defeating because it would give the enemies another turn to attack and undo whatever healing you just did.

I ended up not using any of the healing skills at all and maybe I should put them into an out-of-adventure set so I do them at some point lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You guys take damage? :lol:

Seriously though a Drageaux statue hit me with defense down and then was buffed by a birdy boi and then he lasered me for like 3.5 hearts damage and that’s the most I’ve taken in a battle in the entirety of NG+ so far.