Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Guinness posted:

and into the tube

I see the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Chinatown posted:

So I have really gotten the cycling bug this summer. I'm on my GT Karakoram Sport hard tail MTB, bone stock.

I'm putting between 10-20 miles on average a day and have been thinking about what to upgrade. I'm doing mostly urban rides with some trails here and there.

Would simplifying my drivetrain with a 1x setup be worth it? New bars? The fork sucks and I plan to upgrade that. Brakes are getting a bit squeaky and I could definitely use better tires. Its a nice starter MTB but there's clearly alot of room for improvement. :shrug:

your bike has done you well and don't put a single more dollar into it.

if you plan to upgrade the first question is what is your budget and the second question is what do you want to use it for.

you say 20 miles a day mostly urban with some trails and im thinking all-city and the space horse.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/space_horse

its a "road style" bike but its got big tires and disc brakes and its made of steel and you can't kill the frame even if you try. my brother has one. its the jack of all trades bike and its a great deal. you can definitely take it on gravel trails with no issue.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Guinness posted:

Agh I got yet another flat on my Gravel Kings, this time only 250 miles in to a replacement rear tire.

I had to replace the previous rear, the same model tire, at only 1300 miles after getting a large fatal puncture. It had had several flats already in its short lifespan.

It's just my general all-road riding in the PNW, 90% paved 10% gravel. I don't feel like my environment or my riding is unusually hard on tires. Maybe I have just been supremely unlucky but I had far far fewer flats riding around on 700x23 GP4000 pure road tires than these 700x38 GK slicks.

I love how these tires ride but their puncture resistance is dogshit. Fatal puncture aside, every time some miniscule shard of glass or wire has worked its way into the rubber, through the casing, and into the tube. Maybe I should try the "plus" model for better puncture resistance, but maybe I should just try a different tire.

Run them tubeless and never worry about small punctures again.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I run the GK+ model, and tubeless, on what I think are the same roads/trails as you, and haven't had an issue. Can't say if that's the extra puncture resistance or the +, or the tubeless or both, but if you otherwise like the tires I'd suggest both those avenues.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

thebehaviorist posted:

That’s my local bike shop! Well it was before I moved to MN last year. :( I’ve purchased 2 bikes there. Hope you liked the shop. The staff are super nice too.
Yeah it's my favorite shop. I go to them for all of my vintage bike needs and done a bunch of group rides/campouts/Eroica California with them a few times. Evan is painting an old Mercian frame for me at the moment. :c00l:

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
It's totally reasonable to justify a new bike for motivation purposes, right?

Just wish I could actually afford one right now!

Got a reminder the other day my current bike turned five too. This has been a very slack year for me. Think I've only gone for a ride twice all year... (hence new bike = motivation)

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

X13Fen posted:

Got a reminder the other day my current bike turned five too. This has been a very slack year for me. Think I've only gone for a ride twice all year... (hence new bike = motivation)

Ride your current bike.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Does Bear Pope still exist?
I bought gear many years ago and like to buy some new stuff.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Digital Jedi posted:

Does Bear Pope still exist?
I bought gear many years ago and like to buy some new stuff.

Yeah, the thread is still in SA-Mart. The latest shop just ended like a week ago though.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

FireTora posted:

Yeah, the thread is still in SA-Mart. The latest shop just ended like a week ago though.

I think the store minimum is pretty low, $200 if I remember correctly. Not too hard to hit if you're buying a full kit.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Guinness posted:

Agh I got yet another flat on my Gravel Kings, this time only 250 miles in to a replacement rear tire.

I had to replace the previous rear, the same model tire, at only 1300 miles after getting a large fatal puncture. It had had several flats already in its short lifespan.

It's just my general all-road riding in the PNW, 90% paved 10% gravel. I don't feel like my environment or my riding is unusually hard on tires. Maybe I have just been supremely unlucky but I had far far fewer flats riding around on 700x23 GP4000 pure road tires than these 700x38 GK slicks.

I love how these tires ride but their puncture resistance is dogshit. Fatal puncture aside, every time some miniscule shard of glass or wire has worked its way into the rubber, through the casing, and into the tube. Maybe I should try the "plus" model for better puncture resistance, but maybe I should just try a different tire.

Teravail Ramparts tubeless. I was unable to get tubeless to work (commuting in Seattle) on Gravelkings but the ramparts are great.

The GKs would last exactly a thousand miles before the tread was too thin and the tire was 50% sealant by weight from all the punctures.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

numberoneposter posted:

if you plan to upgrade the first question is what is your budget and the second question is what do you want to use it for.

you say 20 miles a day mostly urban with some trails and im thinking all-city and the space horse.

its a "road style" bike but its got big tires and disc brakes and its made of steel and you can't kill the frame even if you try. my brother has one. its the jack of all trades bike and its a great deal. you can definitely take it on gravel trails with no issue.

This is good advice. Because of parts compatibility and OEM pricing, it's very rarely the best value to try to upgrade a bike piecemeal. Frustrating, and kinda wasteful, but seems to just be how it is.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

a patagonian cavy posted:

Teravail Ramparts tubeless. I was unable to get tubeless to work (commuting in Seattle) on Gravelkings but the ramparts are great.

The GKs would last exactly a thousand miles before the tread was too thin and the tire was 50% sealant by weight from all the punctures.

Man, I commute in Seattle and have none of these issues. What roads are you riding on that are just fuckin you up so much?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

It’s clearly because they clearing the roads for other goons by hoovering up all the sharp things with their tires. Thank them for their service.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

bicievino posted:

Man, I commute in Seattle and have none of these issues. What roads are you riding on that are just fuckin you up so much?

South Park/SoDo/Georgetown

I think it’s made worse by wet weather, too. I’d notice more punctures when the road debris was slick

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

a patagonian cavy posted:

South Park/SoDo/Georgetown

I think it’s made worse by wet weather, too. I’d notice more punctures when the road debris was slick

Oh, yeah, that'd do it.
I ride down there a reasonable amount, but none of it at commute hours, so I can just comfortably take the lane and stay away from the insane amounts of debris that accumulate in the shoulder.

Glad you found a beefier tire that works for you!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've been neglecting my road bike for awhile since riding trails for a bit, got the itch to work on my roadie again today and need some advice.

It's a 2006 Specialized Roubaix that basically has all the original components. Drivetrain is all 105 as are the controls.

My bottom bracket is kinda trashed so I am in the process of removing it. I have no complaints about the bike except the service I have neglected to perform over the years since I bought it second hand. The question is ... can I find same/better quality components for the drive train at a reasonable enough price to make this service worth it, or should I just hunt for a gently used on the local ads?

The bottom bracket has BC1.37 68 stamped into it, the its a 3x9 (I think?) drivetrain.

Edit: Reviewing the posts before. I'd like to be under $200 to do this "upgrade". I ride just for the fun of riding, I will never compete, etc.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 31, 2020

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Can anyone tell me about going tubeless? Can you adapt any wheel to it or do they have to be some kind of tubeless rim?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

X13Fen posted:

This is what I'm doing. NBD is going to be early this week. Let you know how it goes in a year.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

Thanks homie. That bike is definitely the style I'm thinking of, maybe with flat bars though. I really like the clean look of frames like that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

anyone have any experience with pedal spacers? I’m still getting a little foot and knee pain with my SPD shoes and pedals and I’m thinking about giving them a shot.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

anyone have any experience with pedal spacers? I’m still getting a little foot and knee pain with my SPD shoes and pedals and I’m thinking about giving them a shot.

Yes, I have 20mm pedal spacers on all my bikes. I use the bikefit ones. Yes, they're expensive, but they're also actually made of good materials. If your pedals don't have flats make sure you buy the ones with the allen wrench hole.
The annoying thing is they're basically all or nothing. If they're too wide, you'll need to switch to pedals with longer axles or a crank with a wider q-factors.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

Can anyone tell me about going tubeless? Can you adapt any wheel to it or do they have to be some kind of tubeless rim?

You should have a tubeless wheel with a tubeless tire. It's possible to set tubeless up without either, but it's not safe or recommended.

https://guides.wiggle.co.uk/how-convert-your-wheels-tubeless

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

nm posted:

Yes, I have 20mm pedal spacers on all my bikes. I use the bikefit ones. Yes, they're expensive, but they're also actually made of good materials. If your pedals don't have flats make sure you buy the ones with the allen wrench hole.
The annoying thing is they're basically all or nothing. If they're too wide, you'll need to switch to pedals with longer axles or a crank with a wider q-factors.

Those aren't too bad, I'm going to ride next week to make sure this weekend wasn't a fluke, if I still get knee pain I'll order them, thanks.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've been neglecting my road bike for awhile since riding trails for a bit, got the itch to work on my roadie again today and need some advice.

It's a 2006 Specialized Roubaix that basically has all the original components. Drivetrain is all 105 as are the controls.

My bottom bracket is kinda trashed so I am in the process of removing it. I have no complaints about the bike except the service I have neglected to perform over the years since I bought it second hand. The question is ... can I find same/better quality components for the drive train at a reasonable enough price to make this service worth it, or should I just hunt for a gently used on the local ads?

The bottom bracket has BC1.37 68 stamped into it, the its a 3x9 (I think?) drivetrain.

Edit: Reviewing the posts before. I'd like to be under $200 to do this "upgrade". I ride just for the fun of riding, I will never compete, etc.

If you're DIYing and have tools already I think you can stay under $200 to replace all your worn/maintenance items. I'm assuming: fresh cables/housing, new bar tape, chain, new cassette, new bb, maybe new chainrings (depends on wear), probably new tires?
Actually that looks probably more than $200, but maybe not all of it is necessary.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

bicievino posted:

If you're DIYing and have tools already I think you can stay under $200 to replace all your worn/maintenance items. I'm assuming: fresh cables/housing, new bar tape, chain, new cassette, new bb, maybe new chainrings (depends on wear), probably new tires?
Actually that looks probably more than $200, but maybe not all of it is necessary.

I do have the tools handy and enjoy wrenching. Thanks!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mAlfunkti0n posted:

You could get lucky and see an ad for a 2x11 105 groupset for ~$200. You'd need FD, crank, RD, cassette, and shifters. Could stay on the same brakes.
A used groupset likely wouldn't come with a BB or cabling.

If your cables look good, maybe all you'd need to do to refresh what you have is replace the BB and pads.
Shimano Hollowtech BBs are cheap and plentiful, so you could be back on the road with perfectly adequate 3x9 shifting for ~$40, including pads.

Arson Daily posted:

I probably wouldn't seek out a new set of tubeless tires and wheels for only a road bike. It will give you added resistance to small punctures, but at a pretty big expense.
If you're talking >35mm tires, then it's def worth it.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 31, 2020

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

You could get lucky and see an ad for a 2x11 105 groupset for ~$200. You'd need FD, crank, RD, cassette, and shifters. Could stay on the same brakes.
A used groupset likely wouldn't come with a BB or cabling.

If your cables look good, maybe all you'd need to do to refresh what you have is replace the BB and pads.
Shimano Hollowtech BBs are cheap and plentiful, so you could be back on the road with perfectly adequate 3x9 shifting for ~$40, including pads.

I'll keep an eye out for deals. In the meantime the bike works, I will need a new BB so it's good to know the hollowtech BB is cheap. I'll replace that at the very least this week.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I'll keep an eye out for deals. In the meantime the bike works, I will need a new BB so it's good to know the hollowtech BB is cheap. I'll replace that at the very least this week.

Forgot to add 11spd chain and bar tape. Doing a groupset upgrade is a getting nickeled and dimed to death proposition.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

kimbo305 posted:

Forgot to add 11spd chain and bar tape. Doing a groupset upgrade is a getting nickeled and dimed to death proposition.

I figured as much. I'll just be happy with the bottom bracket replacement. I'll figure out which one exactly to get tomorrow.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

INTEGRATED DISC ROTORS
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/bikes-of-the-bunch-rob-englishs-english-road-bike/

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

I probably wouldn't seek out a new set of tubeless tires and wheels for only a road bike. It will give you added resistance to small punctures, but at a pretty big expense.
If you're talking >35mm tires, then it's def worth it.

I would if I was chronically puncturing on a road bike. Shimano RS100s are like $140 and RS500s are $300. There's a bunch of options in between.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

man that’s retrogrouchy

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Does Rob wrap his own bars? He should outsource.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That bike owns

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Integrated seatpost but disc brakes are a bridge too far? I hate bikes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

nm posted:

Integrated seatpost but disc brakes are a bridge too far? I hate bikes.
disc on road is an answer to a question that no one asked

:can:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

And an integrated seat post is an answer to "how can I kill this bike's resale value?"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

numberoneposter posted:

lol look at this guy that never rides down big hills, never rides in the wet, and never rides with carbon wheels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

e.pilot posted:

man that’s retrogrouchy

This would be more interesting if he just said “I like rim brakes” instead of spending multiple paragraphs sounding like an rear end in a top hat