Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Wonder if the Game of Thrones one will actually reach parity with the CK2 one, given how the show ended and folks seem much less interested in it. It'd be a shame if it never did, because that was a seriously good mod.

I mean, I never got to play much of that mod, but wasn't it very very geared towards the fans of the books? Tons of the scenarios were set before Robert Baratheon was even born, and I don't think fans of only the show care too much about any ruler before Aerys the Mad King. Plus, Martin just came out with a new Chronology book for the universe relatively recently, so I think it would still have legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I've never really bothered with the total conversion mods, but there are still plenty of normal mods out there that can expand on game features. Like, there are witches in CK3. I don't know how much the game actually uses them, but I could see a mod latching onto that and greatly expanding witchcraft.

And for Stellaris I always downloaded a bunch of expanded color/icon options. While dynasty crests can't be changed yet, I'm hoping for a mod containing a lot of new religion icons (because the selection that we saw in Rimmy's preview video was dreadfully bare).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

trapped mouse posted:

I mean, I never got to play much of that mod, but wasn't it very very geared towards the fans of the books? Tons of the scenarios were set before Robert Baratheon was even born, and I don't think fans of only the show care too much about any ruler before Aerys the Mad King. Plus, Martin just came out with a new Chronology book for the universe relatively recently, so I think it would still have legs.

Yeah, it was very book focused, but the general GoT fandom's kinda died, and GRRM never putting out the next book certainly doesn't help.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

I could honestly live without the GoT one, but can't wait to see what the others do. I imagine the 3D modelling is going to slow them up, though.

If they re-did the Elder Scrolls mod they could just use models from Oblivion.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Here's the important question

Secret Bears y/n

Also, Sunset Invasion when???

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I'm extremely excited for Crusader Kings III. I never thought I would dive so deep in to a game like CK2, and it seems like CK3 is a better experience and much more polished than CK2. Can't wait to start as a count in Ireland!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Captain Oblivious posted:

Here's the important question

Secret Bears y/n

Also, Sunset Invasion when???

Same, I'm here for the weird stuff.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Any word on if Satanism is going to be in the game out of the box? I'm playing (probably) my last game of CK2 before CK3, and I joined Lucifer's Own for the first time, and holy poo poo it's so much fun.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

discoukulele posted:

Any word on if Satanism is going to be in the game out of the box? I'm playing (probably) my last game of CK2 before CK3, and I joined Lucifer's Own for the first time, and holy poo poo it's so much fun.

As of right now the answer is no as far as the traditional satanists and being a member of a secret cult.

However the new religion systems have enough freedom to let you make your own nudist sex cult or cannibalistic war cult so that might fill the gap for you depending on what you liked best about the satanists in Ck2.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Looking at the Tech system, I guess theres a way bigger incentive now to convert to a new culture. Anyone know how melting pots impact technology? Or if melting pots still exist? I assume they do.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've been watching some streams and one thing I don't like is how crusades seem to happen way too early. They should be happening around 1090-ish, not in the 880s. It's a minor thing, and I guess won't be a factor if you play in 1066. But it kind of ruins the 867 start. I just saw the pope call a crusade on Viking Jarvik in 890, and while it was strong, it wasn't crazy huge or anything, it was mostly historical in size.

I really don't think relatively minor viking invasions should be triggering crusades. Sure, if Jarvik takes all of England, then ok maybe a crusade is justified, but if they are just sitting around York as they did historically then it's kinda bs.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Does it always have to be Sunset invasion? One of the little things about Stellaris was having the nature of the end game threat be a little unpredictable.

One game? Aztecs! Next game? The Chinese! After that...hell, I don’t know, time traveling Protestants?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

CommunityEdition posted:

Does it always have to be Sunset invasion? One of the little things about Stellaris was having the nature of the end game threat be a little unpredictable.

One game? Aztecs! Next game? The Chinese! After that...hell, I don’t know, time traveling Protestants?

The Jews. Barbra Streisand

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

CommunityEdition posted:

There were some mods for this, the one I liked was having a lost Roman legion march out of the Sahara.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

The Khazars are already in

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, have any Aussies tried buying CK3 from IndieGala and registering it on Steam? I assume it'll allow you to, but I thought I'd better check.

o7

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Come to think of it, the new religion system basically supports an early Protestant Reformation right out of the box, right?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Lol One Proud Bavarian’s 7 hour stream showed (23:38 on the stream) the Seljuks at year 1404. +43.82 renown per month from 1541 living members giving +30.82 per month alone with the King of France getting 2.47. Every dynasty unlock unlocked. God drat why can’t it be tomorrow. I can finally get in on the ground floor of day 1 paradox breaks and have a great time.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just got the game; I never buy games on release, but after so many good reviews and all the hours of entertainment that CK2 gave me, I felt that I had to get CK3 now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CommunityEdition posted:

bavarians that were trapped beneath the earth after a tragic turnip-mining accident and have become something... else

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Give me an Atlantis Returns DLC paradox :colbert:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Invasion from the Hollow Earth when?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Did claim fabrication happen as much in real life as it does in these games? Where do these ancient land holding come from anyway? When did the land get divided up into duchies and counties? I thought it was all ruins of the Roman empire.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Ghislaineof YOSPOS posted:

Did claim fabrication happen as much in real life as it does in these games? Where do these ancient land holding come from anyway? When did the land get divided up into duchies and counties? I thought it was all ruins of the Roman empire.

Claim fabrications are a noob trap that only goons do because they all learned how to play by following a crappy LP tutorial that was done here years ago where the author took 300 years to take over Britain by claim warring each individual province.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Why isn’t it CK3 time yet. Why do I have sleep and then work?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Jokes on you, my class tomorrow ends right at 12 pm.

...but I then have to do homework first before playing or else my strategy game obsessed ADHD brain won’t let me do anything else. :negative:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

It was a lot more dynamic in real life than in the game - it uses the ones it does because those are the borders that we ultimately ended up with but most of it was determined during the period the game is set. As for claim fabrication it's sort of hard to say, I'm honestly not sure how much "claims" even mattered in real life, it usually just boiled down to if people wanted something they just took it. At most they might make up some sort of political insult that demanded retribution but the general casus belli thing is more of a gameplay conceit than a realistic depiction of how warfare worked in history.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I mean, pretenders to titles were certainly a thing, with the land itself coming only as a consequence of that title. And sometimes people just took land they had no legitimate claim to. I think it’s just a catch-all for either a literal fabrication of a claim or the groundwork of getting the right people to not object when you made a naked power grab.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 1, 2020

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

hopeandjoy posted:

Jokes on you, my class tomorrow ends right at 12 pm.

...but I then have to do homework first before playing or else my strategy game obsessed ADHD brain won’t let me do anything else. :negative:

The smart real life player plays the game immediately. The wise real life player doesn’t flunk out of school when there’s Labor Day weekend right around the corner.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Still happens. Michael Eisner actually tried to claim some to those of d'Isigny if Disney Wars is to be believed.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Arbite posted:

Still happens. Michael Eisner actually tried to claim some to those of d'Isigny if Disney Wars is to be believed.

The cheese?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

How do I play this and MSFS2020 at the same time?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The other thing about claim "fabrication" was that it was often just about tracing some distant connection to someone who once held the title, which could easily have been completely real in the sense that such a connection did exist; it's just that it was such a distant relation that using it as justification for why they should hold the title personally is flimsy. There's a lot more interrelation in real life than in CK since the game will attempt to cull extraneous family members so there are a lot more dead ends on family trees - but in real life those people just kept on getting married and having kids and even if 99% of them ended up being unimportant, they could still serve as a connection to make one of these sorts of claims.

It's like the thing about how basically anyone of European descent could legitimately trace themselves back to Charlemagne. It would just be a matter of finding the documentation that would be used to prove that connection, which your average person probably wouldn't have but royalty almost certainly would.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Sinten posted:

How do I play this and MSFS2020 at the same time?

This but Wasteland 3.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The other thing about claim "fabrication" was that it was often just about tracing some distant connection to someone who once held the title, which could easily have been completely real in the sense that such a connection did exist; it's just that it was such a distant relation that using it as justification for why they should hold the title personally is flimsy. There's a lot more interrelation in real life than in CK since the game will attempt to cull extraneous family members so there are a lot more dead ends on family trees - but in real life those people just kept on getting married and having kids and even if 99% of them ended up being unimportant, they could still serve as a connection to make one of these sorts of claims.

It's like the thing about how basically anyone of European descent could legitimately trace themselves back to Charlemagne. It would just be a matter of finding the documentation that would be used to prove that connection, which your average person probably wouldn't have but royalty almost certainly would.

In my mind it’s been fake it by paying off a corrupt priest to forge church documents about ‘oh right THAT secret bastard child x of y that secretly was legitimized’. It’s fabricate a claim, not pull a Hey Gal and comb through local records for 5 years.

Haesteinn starts with 2600 prestige, which is enough for an invasion of a Kingdom. Praise be!

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 1, 2020

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I always imagine it's kinda like William the Conquerors claim to England. "You totally secretly said you would make me king of England! All my friends saw it!"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I sort of figured it was like the "patents of nobility" in A Knight's Tale. It just took a long while for your chancellor to find a buck naked Chaucer wandering down a back road to forge it for you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Spent the day fondly saying farewell to CK2. Cranked out most but not all of the cosmetics for 3, and then played a little After the End.

Just taking a moment to think of the scope of the game today, especially compared to at release, kind of blows the mind. Almost a millennium, numberless characters, dozens of religions and heresies, hundreds of cultures, feudal, republic, tribe, nomads, from Iceland to Mali to Siberia to India, artifacts, great wonders or whatever they're called, more events than I can begin to count that range from "you're a werewolf" to "you're being followed by a stray cat" (Which only today did I learn could if you give it away at your spouse's behest lead to you and the adopter later bonding over your mutual love of cats :swoon:), and that's without installing one single mod.

One of the last things that happened before I closed the game was me, trying to seduce some commoner to have babby, asking her friend to help me hook up with her.

Her friend was my wife.

What a wonderful end to CK2 for me :allears:

And now we get to do it all over again in a game that by all accounts is even better. Here's to another 8 1/2 years friend goons. Hopefully with more bonkers invasions from beyond than ever!

o7

e; The Pants Act is going to be incredible with nudity in the game :gowron:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 9, 2020

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

for example, Jeanne de Valois-Saint-Rémy who was a nobody that did real damage to Marie Antoinette's reputation in the leadup to the french revolution

Jeanne, who styled herself the Comtesse de la Motte, was the daughter of a guy who was a patrilenial descendent of a bastard of Henry II some 150 years earlier. so technically, she was part of the royal family, even if she was basically just some shitkicker like everyone else. but she had a taste for fine living and as a descendent of a french king, was entitled to a stipend. it wasn't much though, not nearly as much as what she thought she deserved, so she ended up scheming her way into a real dumbass situation. cropped from wiki

quote:

When it became clear that Nicolas was unable to meet the couple's financial needs to maintain them in the extravagant style that his wife avidly desired, Jeanne resolved to ask a more generous pension from the royal family due to her royal blood. She decided to approach Marie Antoinette as she felt the Queen, being a woman, would be more sympathetic to her plight; Jeanne therefore made frequent visits to Versailles in the hope of catching the Queen's attention. At that time, any ordinary citizen dressed in suitable attire could enter the palace and its gardens, and observe the royal family. Nevertheless, Marie-Antoinette had been told of Jeanne's questionable lifestyle and refused to meet her.

At the same time, the jeweler Charles Auguste Boehmer was trying to sell a particularly expensive and luxurious diamond necklace originally designed for Madame du Barry. He had invested a fortune into this piece of jewelry and had to sell it fast to avoid bankruptcy. He soon realized that only the King could possibly buy such an item, but Louis XVI and the Queen refused the necklace.

Jeanne, with the active help of her husband and de Villette, concocted a plan to use this situation to their financial advantage. Rétaux de Villette was a master forger and wrote letters from 'the Queen' to the "comtesse". In the fake letters, the Queen stated that she wanted the necklace, but was aware of the reluctance of the King to buy it due to the current dismal financial situation of the country. She hoped that the Cardinal could lend her the money as a secret favor. Jeanne de la Motte was named as the Queen's agent. The Cardinal believed these letters to be authentic and agreed to buy the necklace for the Queen. The Cardinal knew very well that the Queen never met Jeanne in public, but believed that she was her trusted agent due to a secret liaison. A late night rendezvous was arranged, where the Cardinal met 'the Queen' (in reality a prostitute who resembled her, called Nicole le Guay d'Oliva) and received forgiveness. The jeweler was contacted and asked to bring the necklace.

The necklace was given to Jeanne de la Motte to pass on to the Queen. Her husband promptly began selling the diamonds in Paris and London. The affair came to light only when the Cardinal was arrested. Also soon arrested were Jeanne de la Motte, Rétaux de Villette, Nicole d'Oliva, and Count Cagliostro, a self-proclaimed holy man of whom the Cardinal was a patron, and whom Jeanne accused of being the one who persuaded the Cardinal to purchase the necklace. "Comte" Nicholas de la Motte stayed in London.

While they were not directly implicated and could have tried the swindlers without publicity, the King and the Queen insisted on a public trial to defend their honor. Nevertheless, the trial actually had the opposite effect and destroyed the reputation of the Queen, because the public saw her as the guilty party.

so some bumblefuck scenario like this, because human beings in all time periods are barely functioning dipshits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also one of my favorite factoids about versailles, literally anyone could go there and just hang out around the royal palace as long as you were dressed appropriately. appropriate dress could be rented from hawkers near the front gate. it's like how back in the day the american president was regularly constantly bothered in the white house because any loving person could just sit around in the white house hoping to chat with the president about whatever