Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Shifty Pony posted:

a Magic Wand is forming off of the coast of Africa

hopefully it runs out of cord before it reaches the US.

is that a significant occurrence or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The ‘tip’ of the wand dissipated as of the 2 PM update

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The ‘tip’ of the wand dissipated as of the 2 PM update

3.6 tropical waves. Not great, but not terrible either.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is that a significant occurrence or what

it looks like a dildo. that is the joke they were making.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

To be clear, the Hitachi Magic Wand is NOT intended as a sex toy because that would be illegal in Japan

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
anything can be a sex toy if youre brave enough

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

To be clear, the Hitachi Magic Wand is NOT intended as a sex toy because that would be illegal in Japan

women are not allowed to feel pleasure over there

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Still laughing about last year's hurricane that hosed off to Ireland

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Look, sometimes even tropical cyclones want to get hammered

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

feels good to swim in though :shrug:

Can't have a nice beach day without a few apocalyptic hurricanes, I suppose!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

I'm going to become a hurricane.

is this the new I identify as an attack chopper?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

is that huge west coast hot spot el nino or la nina or some el otro idk about

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
you guys do know that the link between climate change and hurricanes is largely only in models for when the warming really accelerates in a few decades? I mean I'm all into doomerism but hurricanes haven't really born fruit in that department

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thesaurus posted:

feels good to swim in though :shrug:

Can't have a nice beach day without a few apocalyptic hurricanes, I suppose!

The first time I waded into the gulf of mexico in late August I thought "uhhh this doesn't seem right".

Possibly because my only other experience with beeches was New England but anyways...

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

oxsnard posted:

you guys do know that the link between climate change and hurricanes is largely only in models for when the warming really accelerates in a few decades? I mean I'm all into doomerism but hurricanes haven't really born fruit in that department

Tropical cyclones are notoriously hard to draw conclusions on, but there's already evidence that we're having more intense hurricanes at the rate of 8% per decade; a study suggesting that hurricanes are already a third wetter than they used to be, and an independent study showing that Harvey's ridiculous rainfall was made three times more likely by global warming.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Luneshot posted:

Tropical cyclones are notoriously hard to draw conclusions on, but there's already evidence that we're having more intense hurricanes at the rate of 8% per decade; a study suggesting that hurricanes are already a third wetter than they used to be, and an independent study showing that Harvey's ridiculous rainfall was made three times more likely by global warming.

yeah the rainfall one makes a ton of sense, but those 8% type studies have such a huge margin of error for a thing that only happens a handful of times per year. NOAA remains much more skeptical on any short term proclimiations fwiw

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
shut it down, idiots. there can be no doomerism in this thread for decades

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

oxsnard posted:

yeah the rainfall one makes a ton of sense, but those 8% type studies have such a huge margin of error for a thing that only happens a handful of times per year. NOAA remains much more skeptical on any short term proclimiations fwiw

It seems to me this is one of those fields where the trend seems clear and "consensus" could be reached within 5-10 years, but we're not there yet and it's prudent for a large organization like NOAA (or the IPCC) to avoid making those sorts of claims until the statistics are rock-solid. It'll be interesting to see future analyses with 2020 included, assuming it lives up to the seasonal predictions.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

redleader posted:

shut it down, idiots. there can be no doomerism in this thread for decades

no I love doomerism with all my heart but hurricanes are one of those terrors of nature that have always been bigger than humans and yet we fight them and continue to build more and more where they strike. That's much more interesting than blaming it on climate change

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
wouldn't increased rainfall actually be the real worst case scenario, though?

like mega hurricane winds are scary and all, but more frequent and severe flooding just makes areas totally uneconomical for human habitation

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What year will Seattle get it’s first ever category 4 or 5 hurricane?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

ratbert90 posted:

What year will Seattle get it’s first ever category 4 or 5 hurricane?

Let's put it this way, if the water off the coast of Washington were warm enough to maintain a Cat 4 hurricane, we'd probably be dead for other reasons.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Seattle has more to fear from atmospheric river storms than tropical cyclones.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Seattle has more to fear from atmospheric river storms than tropical cyclones.

but really it's the giant overdue earthquake that's the really fun scenario

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

wouldn't increased rainfall actually be the real worst case scenario, though?

like mega hurricane winds are scary and all, but more frequent and severe flooding just makes areas totally uneconomical for human habitation

well, that depends. Aside from Houston and Tampa there's not that much population on susceptible flood plains.

also, water from storm surges causes several times more in monetary damages than rain floods because of the salt.

Regardless, Harvey is probably the only storm you could probably at least credibly point the finger at climate change for. And that's a bit of a question mark since we've only really been studying hurricanes at a high level for a few decades. And as I said earlier, there aren't that many storms per year and less than 2 huge storms per year on average

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Uh, pretty sure you could point the finger at Sandy, too. Just because it didn't have triple-digit wind speeds doesn't mean a 900 mile wide storm still isn't :stare: territory.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's also the effect of stronger storms further poleward which puts, say, 15-20' storm surge in places not typically designed to deal with 15-20' storm surge but instead designed to handle 15-20' seas which the public may wrongly believe is sufficient protection.

Also Boston is starting to get regular tidal flooding like Miami you just don't hear about it because nobody wants to hear what someone in Boston has to say about themselves.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

we'll I live above the second floor of my apartment building, so I don't have to worry about any of this for many years. Once the surge starts encroaching, I'll just move up another floor :thunk:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Thesaurus posted:

we'll I live above the second floor of my apartment building, so I don't have to worry about any of this for many years. Once the surge starts encroaching, I'll just move up another floor :thunk:

don't forget to have an axe or hatchet on hand so you can chop through your ceiling to get on the roof

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Luneshot posted:

drat trump was right about it being wet from the standpoint of water

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

A rising tide (due to global warming) lifts all boats!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I mean we know that avg. SST has increased by pretty high margins and we know that hurricanes are worse/more frequent when the oceans are hotter so I'm kind of missing where there's a question as to whether or not climate change makes hurricanes worse or more frequent.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

that is a wet rear end pressure system

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

oxsnard posted:

well, that depends. Aside from Houston and Tampa there's not that much population on susceptible flood plains.
The Mississippi?
Pretty much any river would be at risk if hurricanes are gonna make a habit of zooming inland to dump their rain there

For that matter, let's not forget rainfall-induced landslides. you don't have to be on a floodplain to be in danger

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ayin posted:

The Mississippi?
Pretty much any river would be at risk if hurricanes are gonna make a habit of zooming inland to dump their rain there

For that matter, let's not forget rainfall-induced landslides. you don't have to be on a floodplain to be in danger

yeah, p much any urban area that's not designed for it is gonna have problems with abnormally intense rainfall events

and the ones that are designed for it, like new orleans, still have pumping capacities that can be exceeded

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

oxsnard posted:

but really it's the giant overdue earthquake that's the really fun scenario

Hey don't leave Mr. Rainier erupting off the list of potential cataclysms hanging over western WA's head. Bonus points for if it's kicked off by the big earthquake.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Ayin posted:

The Mississippi?

Pretty much any major river system in the eastern part of the country, yeah. What we saw with the Mississippi and other rivers in Louisiana with their levees being overtopped/breaking is something that could happen in other parts of the country too. Many of the rivers in the South and Midwest had flood control measures (levees/locks/dams) put in during the early 20th century, and of course they're only built for a certain amount of flood control.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/lockingitin/status/1300870556267556866

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Well at least those aren't very strong
*looks more closely at the leftmost one*

what the gently caress