Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've recently been slowly making my way through all the Godzilla's but man its hard to get into the 1970s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

I've recently been slowly making my way through all the Godzilla's but man its hard to get into the 1970s.

Where you at my man

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sorry man, I can't relate. The 70s has Hedorah, Gigan, and the MechaGodzillas. It might be my favorite decade for the franchise. Granted, this is all influenced by what I liked as a kid but there you go.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Does this collection allow me to watch the Gamera films with and without MST3K commentary?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The MST3K DVD sets are just the MST3K episodes. It's not just a matter of a commentary track, there's more around it.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

The MST3K DVD sets are just the MST3K episodes. It's not just a matter of a commentary track, there's more around it.

Gotcha, gotcha - no shade to MST3K, but I'm just starting to expand from Godzilla, so I only wanted to get started on the Gamera series.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m in the minority here, but that’s probably my personal favorite era. Here are the 1970’s Godzilla movies:

Godzilla vs Hedorah
Godzilla vs Gigan
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Terror of Mechagodzilla

Hedorah I love because it’s so weird. It’s got an uneven pace but ultimately there’s enough odd decisions made throughout that I am entertained.

Gigan is pretty dire, I’ll admit. I think that had the smallest budget. It’s shot really dark, the theme park plot is especially dumb, and it’s pretty obvious that Gigan is made of an old Ghidorah suit. I don’t look on that one very fondly.

Megalon is a classic z-movie. It’s so threadbare and silly that it makes for an excellent movie to drink with friends. And it’s got Jet Jaggah. It’s very dumb but very charming in a way that Gigan wasn’t.

The two Mechagodzillas are undoubtedly fun times though. The franchise ended on a very high note IMO. The soundtracks are great, the violence is kicked up a notch and the human/alien plots in both are more of a polished re-do of a couple earlier films but who’s counting? Terror especially is well paced and I have a soft spot for the Titanosaur. The amount of fireworks they stuff into the Mechagodzilla suit is awesome too. Also they never topped that MechaG design IMO.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Gotcha, gotcha - no shade to MST3K, but I'm just starting to expand from Godzilla, so I only wanted to get started on the Gamera series.

Like was mentioned earlier, Arrow DID recently release a complete Gamera collection that's just the movies.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The only ‘essential’ Gamera movies are the 90’s ones IMO. I never found any of the original run to be particularly entertaining.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Maybe I’m losing my mind, but having watched the first two Gamera films so far, I think I can say both were better than a lot of the Showa-era Godzilla films. Gamera vs. Barugon kicks the poo poo out of Ebirah, Horror of the Deep.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
That is high praise, because Ebirah is probably one of the best Showa-era films, in my opinion.

I just finished Godzilla vs Gigan and I know people are ragging on it, but it's some solid dumb fun. Maybe it's because it's a live action of the Destroy All Monsters Gamecube game I played as a kid, but I loved the tagteam fights. Hedorah was more of a stinker to because it was completely incoherent but pretended that it had a lot more going on, plot-wise. I do respect the message and it's got some of the most striking imagery that I've seen so far.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Admittedly, I don’t like Ebirah very much — I think it’s one of the least exciting Showa-era films. But Barugon is a much more interesting kaiju, and the movie does the whole “mysterious island” plot better. (Plus, crucify me if you must, but the fight choreography has been more engaging.)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Violator posted:

Wasn't all of the damage actually caused by the US military flailing around trying to kill Zilla? I don't think he destroyed any buildings, he slithered around them.

Right, that’s where the King Kong influence really comes into play; Zilla is, strictly speaking, not very harmful at all. He seemingly only eats fish, and is only on shore to lay eggs. It’s why nobody noticed him swimming around for over 30 years. So they roll out the military and start firing missiles in response to relatively minor property damage. Mainly, they’re afraid of the sheer existence of the thing, because the idea of reshaping their lives to include Zilla is just completely unthinkable.

Godzilla 1998 was kinda obviously deliberate at being untraditional. So the monster is lithe, fast, intelligent, gentle, and ultimately fragile.

Gripweed posted:

Is that in the comics or something?

Nope; the plot of Pacific Rim is that the aliens have been wanting to take over Earth since the time of the dinosaurs, but they can only survive on a hot planet with lots of CO2. The humans nuke the monsters at the end, but those were just symptoms of the actual problem.

1998 satirizes that reactionary logic by making Zilla very innocuous, while everybody is incredibly invested in killing him for no clear reason. What is it that they’re protecting, exactly?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Gamera vs. Barugon is easily the best showa Gamera for me. It has an interesting human story, a wonderful use of colour and a sense of forward momentum that the others lack.

Still prefer Ebirah though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oneforthevine posted:

Maybe I’m losing my mind, but having watched the first two Gamera films so far, I think I can say both were better than a lot of the Showa-era Godzilla films. Gamera vs. Barugon kicks the poo poo out of Ebirah, Horror of the Deep.

Gamera VS Gyaos is a lot of fun- but you notice the quality drop fast.

After that

Have fun

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Karloff posted:

Gamera vs. Barugon is easily the best showa Gamera for me. It has an interesting human story, a wonderful use of colour and a sense of forward momentum that the others lack.

Still prefer Ebirah though.

Gamera vs. Barugon is interesting, since it feels a lot more like a Godzilla movie compared to the other Gameras.

Instead of getting a kid who's got some connection to Gamera, the humans are all morally ambiguous adults engaged in their own plot when, crap, giant monsters. Likewise, Gamera's less heroic than his usual, taking a more Godzilla style role of the lesser evil. Gamera opens the film with destruction, and without a kid to play advocate, there's no clarification if the ending was a hero saving the day, or just payback.

Later Gamera films would more and more lock him into a heroic role, so seeing a film in flux like this stands out.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 1, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nope; the plot of Pacific Rim is that the aliens have been wanting to take over Earth since the time of the dinosaurs, but they can only survive on a hot planet with lots of CO2. The humans nuke the monsters at the end, but those were just symptoms of the actual problem.

I don't think the aliens are a symptom of the problem, they're a separate problem that arose because of the first problem. Dealing with global warming wouldn't have stopped the aliens. And stopping the aliens is a good in and of itself, because they destroy cities and kill a lot of people. And dealing with the aliens would probably help people deal with global warming afterwards, because then we wouldn't be busy building a giant wall around the Pacific Ocean. The construction of which must've involved a lot of emissions.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
sure, but on the other hand: the aliens aren't real

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I have a lot of fondness for both Gigan movies, even if the Godzilla suit is visibly disintegrating in the first one. Gigan himself is the best heel tag team member ever.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ungulateman posted:

sure, but on the other hand: the aliens aren't real

They are real in the movie.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Bad opinion time: my friend and I didn't like Destroy All Monsters or Invasion of Astro Monster. Funny enough, our favourite of the old Ghidorah outings was actually the very first.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Destroy all Monsters is not great, but Invasion of Astro Monster is a classic. That being said, if you don't like Astro Monster, Destroy all Monsters was probably gonna be a lost cause no matter what lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I dug Astro Monster but its very much an flying saucer alien invasion movie first and a Godzilla movie second.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Golden Gael posted:

Bad opinion time: my friend and I didn't like Destroy All Monsters or Invasion of Astro Monster. Funny enough, our favourite of the old Ghidorah outings was actually the very first.

If you're not into 60s sci-fi, I can see that. Like HB said, DAM can be rough going but if you weren't even on board for Astro, no chance in hell.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Godzilla, Japanese Citizen.

https://twitter.com/Htop_Gunder/status/1300514990043148289

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Destroy All Monsters definitely coasted some on the everyone-is-here gimmick. Which, for all its flaws, I think Final Wars does a bit better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Bee posted:

Destroy All Monsters definitely coasted some on the everyone-is-here gimmick. Which, for all its flaws, I think Final Wars does a bit better.

DMA also suffered for me reading about it in books and mentally hyping it to near impossible levels. That was my fault.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dawgstar posted:

DMA also suffered for me reading about it in books and mentally hyping it to near impossible levels. That was my fault.

To be fair on paper DAM sounds like the best goddamn movie ever put to film.

Godzilla attacks New York City! Rodan assaults Moscow! Baragon and Gorosaurus double team Paris!

these are all five second shots in the movie that get no real screen time at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It also had the video game that I think people like

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Burkion posted:

To be fair on paper DAM sounds like the best goddamn movie ever put to film.

Godzilla attacks New York City! Rodan assaults Moscow! Baragon and Gorosaurus double team Paris!

these are all five second shots in the movie that get no real screen time at all.

Maybe that's what inspired the marketing team who designed the posters for Reign of Fire.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

I would not be surprised if DAM's urban devastation scenes on the one hand, and shots of Akira Kubo firing a laser at the Kilaak control device on the other, clock in at approximately the same total screentime.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Burkion posted:

Where you at my man

I've finished off the Millenium series and Heisei eras , I've watched the original Godzilla and Godzilla raids again. I'm stuck basically in the Showa era right now.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Hollismason posted:

I've finished off the Millenium series and Heisei eras , I've watched the original Godzilla and Godzilla raids again. I'm stuck basically in the Showa era right now.

If you watched them out of order you might be in for a rough time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

What movie is giving you issues? I can make a short list of the best of the Showa era

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Watch them all and suffer like G did!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1LzruO-eUU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

HannibalBarca posted:

I would not be surprised if DAM's urban devastation scenes on the one hand, and shots of Akira Kubo firing a laser at the Kilaak control device on the other, clock in at approximately the same total screentime.

I feel like that laser scene might be the half the movie. DAM isn’t great, but poo poo that final fight makes up for a lot of it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Art of Godzilla vs Kong book has just moved back to a November release date on Amazon.

Its most likely a mistake but the last time it happened it was a sign that the film had been delayed into next year.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Legendary are unhappy with the film and given everything just decide to release it on VOD at the end of this year.

No advertising to speak of out yet, supplier and merchandise contracts to offer and maybe poor tracking?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Isn’t the film already pushed back to May 2021?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

PriorMarcus posted:

The Art of Godzilla vs Kong book has just moved back to a November release date on Amazon.

Its most likely a mistake but the last time it happened it was a sign that the film had been delayed into next year.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Legendary are unhappy with the film and given everything just decide to release it on VOD at the end of this year.

No advertising to speak of out yet, supplier and merchandise contracts to offer and maybe poor tracking?

I don't know, covid has delayed everything in a major way and big tentpole movies like Wonder Woman and Black Widow are still on hold and were supposed to be released months ago now and could be delayed again the way things are going. Mulan is the only major movie going the VOD route and I don't think it is a barometer for where the industry is going (yet). The studios don't really want to find out what upending their business model for the last century will do to their bottom line and are going to delay as long as possible. I wouldn't worry about Godzilla vs Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Even if the movie doesn't keep its May 2021 release date (and I'm about 50/50 on whether or not it will), I would think another bump-back (November 2021 maybe?) is far more likely than shunting it over to VOD. I wouldn't put too much stock in the Amazon book release date.