Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Pathfinder Kingmaker was good until it got really bad so it got me hankering for kinda similar playing RPGs that ideally don't fall apart mechanically 2/3rds through. Pathfinder is just really bad at scaling to higher levels because so many mechanics like AC or targeting enemy saves feeling like all-in or don't bother at all, combined with some really, truly awful design decisions WRT the last parts of the game by the design team that made me lose all will to finish the game. It was quite fun with the turn-based mod for the first 50% or so though.

Anyway trouble is I've basically played a lot of common recommendations for similar games AKA Pillars of Eternity 1&2 (pretty good), Divinity:OS 1 & 2 (bleh), and old classics like the IE series and NWN 1/2 + expansions. Also Dragon Age I guess counts. Having played a good amount of RTS recently I'd prefer something turn-based over RTWP or similar at the moment, so I can ideally take it easy and tab away at my leisure too.

I'm not super into the post-apocalypse stuff so ideally nothing Fallout-like. Sci-fi is okay.

I also really like character progression-heavy RPGs with perks and traits and skills and powers and any system you can bolt on, but preferably without ludicrous stat numbers a la Disgaea. The shallower the character progression systems are the less interested I am, so any game that just automatically distributes some +stats on level up or whatever is not my jam.

E: Like for many people it doesn't matter but I just want to underscore that if the game gives you 40 hp at level one instead of 4000 that's like a free extra grade up in my rating system lol.

E2: I should mention as well I suppose, I've tried a few JRPGs such as FFX or the first Trails game, and none have caught my fancy gameplay-wise. I've liked turn-based SRPGs like Fire Emblems and JRPGs without traditional turn-based combat such as FFX-2, but I'm not really looking for either of those. So before recommending a JRPG keep that in mind I guess.

You've played most of the big hitters in that genre, but there's still some possibilities.

-Temple of Elemental Evil is real good and a cleaned up version for modern computers can be had on GoG
-Tyranny is a brilliant infinity engine-style rpg. Most grogs will say that the per-encounter abilities ruin combat, but it also has some of the best spell-crafting I've seen in any game as well as incredibly tightly balanced mechanics. Everything you do in combat affects your out-of combat skills and everything you do and say has an impact on the world and combat encounters. The difficulty curve falls drastically in the last third of the game, although mods/patches may have fixed that by now.
-Arcanum is a steampunk take on the turn-based isometric rpg. The world and story are genuinely interesting and the mechanics are deep, if rather broken.
-You say you've played Shadowrun, but which one? The first was kinda mediocre, Dragonfall is the best, with Hong Kong a close second. There isn't a lot of depth to character building in any of them though.

Desperation options:
-Torment Numenera is a modern follow-up to Planescape Torment. There's a LOT of reading, including some CYOA portions. I really liked the writing, but don't go in expecting to click through dialogues without totally losing the plot. The combat is a mixed bag, since they put a lot of work into providing peaceful solutions as combat mechanics. This works well about half the time.
-Wasteland 2 is post apocalyptic, but it does have extremely old school character development. I'm putting it second to last because it's also too long and badly paced.
-Pool of Radiance Ruins of Myth Drannor has pretty detailed 3rd edition D&D character development, if you want more after NWN. It's also totally unplayable without hunting down a mod that doubles xp gain on some forgotten fansite somewhere. The overworld looks really coool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Thanks for the tips! Yeah the issue with playing a lot of games of a certain type is eventually you get through all the well-recommended ones. I've played most of those too honestly with a couple exceptions. Wasteland 2 is a game that interests me but as mentioned I'm not huge on post-apoc and I heard a lot of bad things about it too. Waiting to see how 3 is being received, might get that. I probably have to go for somewhat less mechanically similar games or just less well-known indies. I tried Wizardry 8 out but it felt about the prime example of how turn-based combat can hurt a game...there sure were a lot of combat encounters to slog through.

E: Also I've recently tried slogging through a lot of old games and anything recent enough that it doesn't require me to mess around with widescreen mods and compatibility settings for a resolution beyond 800x600 would be a blessing.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 28, 2020

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Thanks for the tips! Yeah the issue with playing a lot of games of a certain type is eventually you get through all the well-recommended ones. I've played most of those too honestly with a couple exceptions. Wasteland 2 is a game that interests me but as mentioned I'm not huge on post-apoc and I heard a lot of bad things about it too. Waiting to see how 3 is being received, might get that. I probably have to go for somewhat less mechanically similar games or just less well-known indies. I tried Wizardry 8 out but it felt about the prime example of how turn-based combat can hurt a game...there sure were a lot of combat encounters to slog through.

E: Also I've recently tried slogging through a lot of old games and anything recent enough that it doesn't require me to mess around with widescreen mods and compatibility settings for a resolution beyond 800x600 would be a blessing.

A bit left field but if you like turn-based RPG combat you might also like the new X-Com games? You get a good amount of flexibility in how you develop your squad, you just have to be prepared for some of them to die permanently.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Going to piggyback on Insurrectionist's post and ask for an isometric RPG with involved character building and no ability scores.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

thekeeshman posted:

A bit left field but if you like turn-based RPG combat you might also like the new X-Com games? You get a good amount of flexibility in how you develop your squad, you just have to be prepared for some of them to die permanently.

I was going to recommend XCOM 2 as well. It hasn't got a ton of systems but the upgrades can really be felt given that everything starts out with small integers and stays pretty modest. The progression is all largely character-based. It doesn't have the crafted narrative chops of a CRPG but it's dynamic enough that you're sort of crafting your own story as you play.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I don't have a coop partner; is the more-polished DST playable solo? I've never tried either.

There are basically two types of bosses in DST. Seasonal bosses and raid bosses.

Seasonal bosses tend to spawn next to you and have about 2-3k health. These bosses are fairly easy to kill just by wearing some good armor and using some healing food. And you can out run them if you don't feel like fighting. These bosses tend to drop items that really help survival.

Raid bosses are stationary and only defend themselves. They can have 10k up to 99k health. They require some cheese tactics like creating giant army of bunnymen or building a wall which abuses AI pathing. These bosses are easily avoidable until you want to fight them. These bosses tend to drop either quality of life items or cosmetic items.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 28, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

... or just less well-known indies.

Here's some other games I have sitting in my steam backlog or wishlist. I hesitate to call them "recommendations" because I haven't played them yet and and a 7 or 8 out of 10 rating in a niche genre usually means "fans of the genre will probably enjoy it, but it is also deeply flawed in some way."

Underrail
Blackguards 1 and 2 - everything about these games screams grog. This is probably as crunchy as Pathfinder but based on a lesser known German roleplaying system.
Inquisitor
Age of Decadence - Conceptually the most interesting of the bunch? It's Groundhog Day set in ancient Rome or something like that.

E:

Splicer posted:

Going to piggyback on Insurrectionist's post and ask for an isometric RPG with involved character building and no ability scores.

Hey, I'd like to know if this exists too.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 29, 2020

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone have any co-op online games with super robust base building that aren't Minecraft? Right now we're using No Man's Sky which is...okay, and I'm eyeing Satisfactory. Bonus points if it involves gathering resources as the primary gameplay loop - gather resources, build base, need stuff for base, repeat. Combat is optional.

We've played the hell out of Terraria, didn't click with the Forest, Minecraft is tapped out right now...and we'd really appreciate if the bases actually looked good, too.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Galick posted:

Anyone have any co-op online games with super robust base building that aren't Minecraft? Right now we're using No Man's Sky which is...okay, and I'm eyeing Satisfactory. Bonus points if it involves gathering resources as the primary gameplay loop - gather resources, build base, need stuff for base, repeat. Combat is optional.

We've played the hell out of Terraria, didn't click with the Forest, Minecraft is tapped out right now...and we'd really appreciate if the bases actually looked good, too.

Factorio has fantastic base-building, but since everything in Factorio is 100% functional and tied in to progression, it can get a little lop-sided if one person knows what they're doing and the other doesn't. Best to go in blind.

The bases look like industrial hellscapes but they make industrial hellscape look good, if that makes sense. Combat can be completely turned off, you don't really lose anything by it, or scaled up and down to be as aggressive or limited as you like.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Astroneer. If you like some of the aesthetics of No Man Sky like exploring planets or jumping from planet to planet. The basebuilding is mainly laying down machines that you keep building up to help process resources to research and build more things to explore more of the solar system to find more resources and eventually unlock the cyber planet cores.

If what you want is base building as in building houses, I'd say 7 Days to Die, Rust, or Ark.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Galick posted:

Space Engineers is minecraft in space, but not arcadey like No Man's Sky. You can build on planets or in space, free floating or on asteroids, build fully functioning and useful space ships block by block, mine asteroids, etc. It is a little janky sometimes but man, it is exactly what you're looking for.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Galick posted:

Satisfactory if you don't mind very little combat and tons of automation. Some combat, not much. Bases can look good or not so good but making them look good is tricky because they also have to be functional.
Subnautica with more exploration and no automation. You gather the stuff yourself. Also better vehicles. Bases look incredible. Seriously, they look so beautiful. All rounded with glass and tubes and... just GORGEOUS.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Does Subnautica have co-op? I know there was some third-party attempt to hack multiplayer in but that's a lot to ask, and I don't know if they actually got it working properly.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

kyh is definitely a hamster IRL.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Galick posted:

If you don't mind Early Access, Project Zomboid and Signs of Life

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Does Subnautica have co-op? I know there was some third-party attempt to hack multiplayer in but that's a lot to ask, and I don't know if they actually got it working properly.

I thought it did natively, but it does look like it's via a mod. My bad there. The mod is still in development, but seems to be actively updated fairly regularly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Splicer posted:

If you don't mind Early Access, Project Zomboid and Signs of Life

Zomboid has been EA for like a decade lol

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I bought Project Zomboid in September of 2011. It's probably fair to say that I no longer have any expectations of it ever being a finished game :v:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Any more games like Kenshi that anyone recommends.
Basically an RPG-like without a bunch of crap jammed into it, just pure leveling/killing.

But not really looking for Diablo likes.

So many good RPGs just want to be kingdom micro management at some point and then it just loses me.
Same with Xcom, would love it without all the researching and crap.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

OgNar posted:

Basically an RPG-like without a bunch of crap jammed into it, just pure leveling/killing.

So many good RPGs just want to be kingdom micro management at some point and then it just loses me.

Temple of Elemental Evil for a bare-bones combat-focused RPG

Maybe Outward if you want something that shares some DNA with Kenshi

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

OgNar posted:

Icewind Dale is old 2nd edition AD&D like Baldur's Gate, which is a tough combat and leveling system for some people to get used to, but it's almost entirely combat focused. There is theoretically a story but it's just an excuse to line up a bunch of combat encounters and you can totally ignore it, it's not like most of the big D&D RPGs at all. Because it is all about giving you options in combat, there is a major focus on character creation and customization with special classes and gear, that might be too "researching and crap", I don't know.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

I bought Project Zomboid in September of 2011. It's probably fair to say that I no longer have any expectations of it ever being a finished game :v:
Same tbh. There's a massive overhaul in the beta branch that's looking real nice though. Still waiting for them to realise that NPCs will make or break their game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
A bit of a thorny request: Are there any games out there that capture the feel of a MOBA without uhh...the M, O, or BA parts? (I would just slink back to HotS but Blizzard can :fuckoff:) The only one I can think of is Dawn of War 2 which I love to bits but I'm interested in finding any others. ...I guess the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games (and their predecessors) are also in the right ballpark?

I'm not looking for full blown ARPGs - I've already got like a dozen of those. A high level of character variety would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

A bit of a thorny request: Are there any games out there that capture the feel of a MOBA without uhh...the M, O, or BA parts? (I would just slink back to HotS but Blizzard can :fuckoff:) The only one I can think of is Dawn of War 2 which I love to bits but I'm interested in finding any others. ...I guess the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games (and their predecessors) are also in the right ballpark?

I'm not looking for full blown ARPGs - I've already got like a dozen of those. A high level of character variety would be great, but I'm not holding my breath.

I recommend Synthetik: Legion Rising

There's a free arena mode you can use to check the game out, if you like the mechanics and the rest of this post sounds interesting then I very much recommend buying Legion Rising. The Arena mode is neat but it has a very limited selection of weapons and the upgrade system isn't reflective of what the 'main' game (Legion Rising) is like.

It's a real-time action roguelite with wildly varying power levels on each run, an absurd variety of items/guns and permadeath. Think Binding of Isaac, but the gameplay is where it really shines.

Combat is slower and more tactical and thoughtful than other games in the genre, there's a lot of skill involved - where you aim actually matters and there's a huge difference between a headshot and hitting the enemy's shield or body. Standing still allows you to be much more precise, but you can also choose a class (8 available) focused around getting up close and personal, or even find a shotgun on your Sniper run and turn it into a precise long-range cone of death. You modify your weapons throughout the run which lets you add unique traits to them that can dramatically change their power or utility. They also come in random variants which also change how they feel - Siege variants have larger magazines and find more ammo, but reload slower. Divine variants are great in every category but find less ammo. Printing variants are weaker than normal but regenerate ammo. Couple this with class abilities that let you regenerate ammo, dash more often, move faster, stun nearby enemies, etc. and a huge variety of passive and active items (which you can carry several of) that can also be upgraded and the build diversity and random factor of each run is very very high, which is a lot of fun.

There are some features that some people find annoying but they give the game a lot of immersion and a higher skill ceiling. You have to manually eject your magazines, then manually start the reload (hint: rebind eject and reload to the same key), and optionally active reload them with precise timing for buffs or faster reloads, which you have to work in while dodging all over, using your active items, aiming to line up shots, managing ammo, and watching your heat levels. You can disable things like the manual ejecting but you get a (metagame, not in-run) experience penalty in return.

The end result is runs that are roughly as long as MOBA matches where you start out with nothing and ramp up your power faster if you do better, then upgrade yourself to crush even more enemies even faster. It scratches the same kind of itch for me and is a very good game that more people should play. It even has you earning money from killing mooks and spending it on upgrades.

(It has co-op but most people play solo, you have to split your loot on co-op so each player ends up much weaker and there are unfortunately frequent disconnects for several (most?) people.)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 31, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Whataya know, I already own it. :v: Never played it, but I wouldn't have thought it compared to mobas. Though I guess action roguelikes in general do have some overlap. Another example that's been on my mind is Nova Drift, which evokes a lot of what I'm looking for with its evolving skill tree concept...I'm just not looking for it in the form factor of an asteroids-style shmup at the moment. :sweatdrop:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

Dungeon of the Endless?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

OgNar posted:

Try XCOM Chimera Squad. It minimizes the in-between stuff and basically just bounces you from mission to mission.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Looking for a game I can drop in and out of playing in the background. I’ve found might and magic clash of heroes (old match 3 ish game with a light rpg story) to work super well for this, and am looking for other similar recommendations. Ideally something like match 3 where you don’t need to think that much move by move, and not real time. Any suggestions would be great!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Looking for an RTS game with good air units. There's just something extremely satisfying about pointing your units at a target and watching the destruction of their plodding armies, or dismantling the enemy with surgical strikes - C&C: Generals was pretty good about this, sadly the later games in that series dialed it back. Supreme Commander is obviously great but I know it backwards by now. Never managed to get into Wargame.

Anything else like this out there? I prefer games that let me use whatever feels cool as opposed to relying on hard counters for units (i.e. Starcraft 2 is out).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

anilEhilated posted:

Looking for an RTS game with good air units. There's just something extremely satisfying about pointing your units at a target and watching the destruction of their plodding armies, or dismantling the enemy with surgical strikes - C&C: Generals was pretty good about this, sadly the later games in that series dialed it back. Supreme Commander is obviously great but I know it backwards by now. Never managed to get into Wargame.

Anything else like this out there? I prefer games that let me use whatever feels cool as opposed to relying on hard counters for units (i.e. Starcraft 2 is out).

Warzone 2100

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

anilEhilated posted:

World in Conflict is amazing for this kinda RTS play. The support powers aren't always air based but are amazingly destructive, and the air (helicopters) and artillery (MLRS/mortars) you can command are very satisfying.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Not exactly what you're looking for, but Freedom Force and it's sequel might scratch the same itch.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

anilEhilated posted:

Total Annihilation - air units are basically the dominant strategy (although you don’t need to use them). It’s pretty old, and if you’ve played supreme commander it might be too close to that to feel new, but mods and remakes give it some more legs imo.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

tildes posted:

Looking for a game I can drop in and out of playing in the background. I’ve found might and magic clash of heroes (old match 3 ish game with a light rpg story) to work super well for this, and am looking for other similar recommendations. Ideally something like match 3 where you don’t need to think that much move by move, and not real time. Any suggestions would be great!

Legend of Fae?
Desktop Dungeons?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Samopsa posted:

World in Conflict is amazing for this kinda RTS play. The support powers aren't always air based but are amazingly destructive, and the air (helicopters) and artillery (MLRS/mortars) you can command are very satisfying.

Seconding this.

You can directly control helicopters, but you've got tons of support powers like airstrikes, A-10 runs etc that are the game's Big Thing. Great single player story and a good skirmish mode.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

tildes posted:

Total Annihilation - air units are basically the dominant strategy (although you don’t need to use them). It’s pretty old, and if you’ve played supreme commander it might be too close to that to feel new, but mods and remakes give it some more legs imo.

oh this too! I imagine OP has already played TA, but anyways: TA is awesome, cheap, and even the base game is still great to play. SupCom is cool but TA is more fun imo.

There are ton of TA mods and even sourceports / heavily inspired by TA games like Zero-K and Spring.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Samopsa posted:

oh this too! I imagine OP has already played TA, but anyways: TA is awesome, cheap, and even the base game is still great to play. SupCom is cool but TA is more fun imo.

There are ton of TA mods and even sourceports / heavily inspired by TA games like Zero-K and Spring.
Yeah, I've played a lot of TA when I was younger. That Zero-K thing sure looks interesting, though...
Anyway, thanks for the recs everyone!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Tagra posted:

Legend of Fae?
Desktop Dungeons?

This looks ideal for my super specific request, thank you!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any games where you start at the bottom or top of a place and you have to make your way through the opposite way? If anyone played Ys Origins it's like that, you start at a bottom of a demonic tower and have to go through every floor till the top to finish the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

anilEhilated posted:

Planetary Annihilation. Why settle for air when you can go orbital? (air is also good though)