Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

If I had a nickle for every time I tested my rig in the morning, signed up for an iRace in the afternoon, popped into practice only to find the wheel isn't being recognized at all, unplug, replug, restart computer, and get back into VR just as the race has already started

Yeah, that's simracing imo *readjusts VR lighthouses because the cat ran into one of them*

e: I'm not even joking. I think the worst time I ever had in VR was when the cat somehow managed to turn the lighthouse (mounted on a tripod) a bit, and I thought I'm going crazy driving around laguna seca in some league and everything went pretty trippy...

tuo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
How do those motion rigs work with VR? If I get out of my seat or move around in my seat it moves my position in the car. With the exaggerated movement from the motion rig to simulate the G forces in game wouldn’t you be constantly flying in and out of your car all the time?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Zaphod42 posted:

If I had a nickle for every time I tested my rig in the morning, signed up for an iRace in the afternoon, popped into practice only to find the wheel isn't being recognized at all, unplug, replug, restart computer, and get back into VR just as the race has already started

This is why I'm kinda glad I went all Fanatec. One USB port and it always reliably functions. Although when I can afford the space for a permanent rig some Heusinkveld pedals will be my first upgrade.

Also, I bought Automobilista 2, tried it, and returned it. The physics were good, and the Formula cars especially were fun, but there just wasn't enough there for me in the base game.

I think I've reached the hobbyist point in sim racing where buying anything that isn't next week's iRacing track is pointless. Oh no.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Speaking of AMS2, there's some interesting stuff in the new dev update. Bunch of older tracks getting visual updates, an improved damage model, dedicated spectator cams for VR (this one's really interesting, having spectator cams in the grandstands and at marshall posts etc), and what reads kinda like a eulogy for Slightly Mad at the end.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shogunner posted:

This is why I'm kinda glad I went all Fanatec. One USB port and it always reliably functions. Although when I can afford the space for a permanent rig some Heusinkveld pedals will be my first upgrade.

Also, I bought Automobilista 2, tried it, and returned it. The physics were good, and the Formula cars especially were fun, but there just wasn't enough there for me in the base game.

I think I've reached the hobbyist point in sim racing where buying anything that isn't next week's iRacing track is pointless. Oh no.

I am also all Fanatec. :v: I think its just Windows, and how many different devices you have connected to your computer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zaphod42 posted:

Unfortunately, they force-installed Microsoft Edge onto my computer again the next day, with a big full-screen forced popup about "CHECK OUT OUR NEW BROWSER ITS THE BEST" so gently caress MS forever

Edge is now chrome based, so it's not bad.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The reason it force installs itself is that lots of OS components need a browser nowadays, you don't have to use the actual browser for internet stuff

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NtotheTC posted:

The reason it force installs itself is that lots of OS components need a browser nowadays, you don't have to use the actual browser for internet stuff

Dude I know, but this isn't a fresh install of windows or anything. I've had Edge, Firefox and Chrome all installed on this machine for a long time. None of "the OS needs a browser" means they have to force-update Edge, add Edge back to my taskbar as a pinned item, or start up the OS with a full-screen message advertising Edge that I can't simply click or ESC out of. Especially not when I've already set Chrome as my default browser and I'm keeping it up to date.

Kinda missing the point.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Have you tried unix?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

GutBomb posted:

How do those motion rigs work with VR? If I get out of my seat or move around in my seat it moves my position in the car. With the exaggerated movement from the motion rig to simulate the G forces in game wouldn’t you be constantly flying in and out of your car all the time?

It installs a driver hook into SteamVR that corrects the motion. So if the motion platform moves/tilts you forward, the driver tells the VR implementation that your headset moved the same amount backward, so ingame the motion is not noticable.

Sounds like a recipe for desaster, but works quite well once properly calibrated. (unless your cat turns the lighthouse)

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Shogunner posted:

Have you been introduced to our Lord and Saviour, Assetto Corsa? Yes, thanks to the modding community, AC is still the answer to all life's questions.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Just wait till you have the permanent 20% discount so you have nothing stopping you from buying individual items without waiting for a 6-pack

:retrogames:

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Steen71 posted:

Have you been introduced to our Lord and Saviour, Assetto Corsa? Yes, thanks to the modding community, AC is still the answer to all life's questions.

yes, i am often on the shutoko servers, that mod in VR is so loving good. any other recommended multiplayer AC experiences??

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

What is the difference between AC and AC:Competizione? I couldn't really tell from the steam pages. Is AC:C a "sequel"? Or is it like a special track/car pack for this "Blancpain GT Series", whatever that is? If I just want to hotlap and maybe do some chill online racing, which should I get?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

giogadi posted:

What is the difference between AC and AC:Competizione? I couldn't really tell from the steam pages. Is AC:C a "sequel"? Or is it like a special track/car pack for this "Blancpain GT Series", whatever that is? If I just want to hotlap and maybe do some chill online racing, which should I get?

ACC is "sort of" a sequel to AC but not at all really. Hope that answers your question.

Just kidding. ACC is an excellent simulation of GT3 (and now GT4) racing ,with a limited number of tracks, sponsored by the GT World Challenge (formerly Blancpain).

I love it, it's my primary "serious" sim but that's because I love GT3/4 racing and don't mind the limited number of tracks. I personally highly recommend it, but if you don't care about GT3 racing, there's no reason to get it. It is fundamentally and fully separate from Assetto Corsa. There are no mods for ACC, at least nothing to the level that AC has mods.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
AC:C is a new game, specialized on the cars and rules of GT3, which is the only series outside of F1 that has some mainstream appeal. It also has some iRacing like multiplayer systems built in. If you're not interested in that there's really no reason to get it.

AC is perfect for hotlapping, especially if you like to change up cars and tracks via mods. More and more mods for AC use CSP specific features these days, so I'd recommend shelling out the 5 or so bucks to get Content Manager/CSP. Also get Sol. These two mods turn AC1 into AC2.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 1, 2020

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks for the info! I find it odd that they didn't release the GT3-specific content as extra DLC/packs for AC. Anyway, it sounds like AC is right up my alley. Thanks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Question about the Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Driving_Force_GT I am still happy with this wheel a decade into using it, with the exception of the peddles. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my options are (if any) for buying a better set of peddles that will be compatible? Or can I buy new peddles from Logitech or another manufacturer that are USB (so it wouldnt plug directly into the wheel base like the default peddles do) and will work with my sims. I primarily play iRacing, and Project CARS 2.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

I said come in! posted:

Question about the Logitech Driving Force GT Wheel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logitech_Driving_Force_GT I am still happy with this wheel a decade into using it, with the exception of the peddles. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what my options are (if any) for buying a better set of peddles that will be compatible? Or can I buy new peddles from Logitech or another manufacturer that are USB (so it wouldnt plug directly into the wheel base like the default peddles do) and will work with my sims. I primarily play iRacing, and Project CARS 2.

Any mid tier consumer pedals should be compatible, and a significant upgrade. You just gotta have another USB port and assign them separately in-game.

What's your budget? If you're going to upgrade, I'd personally suggest a loadcell brake, it will help you improve your lap times by a lot, in time. https://fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-elite-pedale-lc

There's a non-loadcell version of the above pedals, probably the best/cheapest non-loadcell pedals you can buy under $100. You can upgrade these to the above later on too. https://fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/csl-elite-pedals

If you want even nicer, there's a lot of options, but you probably will want a rig for them. Even my folding Playseat Challenge can handle the Clubsport V3s, so that's nice.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:hmmyes: I am going to go with the CSL Elite Pedals. Won't want to get anything nicer since I am unable to do a rig. I wish I could! Maybe someday. iRacing will probably take care of the controls automatically, which is why I love it so much because it does such a great job with default controller configuration unless you're trying to do something very out of the ordinary. Project CARS II I am unsure about, will just have to buy these pedals and see how it goes, and ask for help here if I need it, but its controller support is generally good.

Thank you for the advice!

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 2, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I said come in! posted:

:hmmmyes: I am going to go with the CSL Elite Pedals. Won't want to get anything nicer since I am unable to do a rig. I wish I could! Maybe someday. iRacing will probably take care of the controls automatically, which is why I love it so much because it does such a great job with default controller configuration unless you're trying to do something very out of the ordinary. Project CARS II I am unsure about, will just have to buy these pedals and see how it goes, and ask for help here if I need it, but its controller support is generally good.

The CSL Elites (the ones with the Load Cell and 3 pedals anyways) are really great and honestly even if you did build a full rig they'd be more than adequate.

I have CSR Elites from like 5 years ago in my sim rig and they're still doing fantastic.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

I said come in! posted:

:hmmmyes: I am going to go with the CSL Elite Pedals. Won't want to get anything nicer since I am unable to do a rig. I wish I could! Maybe someday. iRacing will probably take care of the controls automatically, which is why I love it so much because it does such a great job with default controller configuration unless you're trying to do something very out of the ordinary. Project CARS II I am unsure about, will just have to buy these pedals and see how it goes, and ask for help here if I need it, but its controller support is generally good.

No problem! Those will still be a massive upgrade. The DFP was my first wheel, which I actually bought off a goon in like 2010. Even the jump to G27 pedals was big.

Also, I'll leave this here because I thought a rig was impossible for me in my apartment. It's a folding rig that takes 5 minutes to get in or out of the closet. https://www.amazon.com/Playseat-RC0002-Challenge/dp/B009ZELZDS?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Something to think about next time you wanna blow some dosh on this expensive god drat hobby

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shogunner posted:

No problem! Those will still be a massive upgrade. The DFP was my first wheel, which I actually bought off a goon in like 2010. Even the jump to G27 pedals was big.

Also, I'll leave this here because I thought a rig was impossible for me in my apartment. It's a folding rig that takes 5 minutes to get in or out of the closet. https://www.amazon.com/Playseat-RC0002-Challenge/dp/B009ZELZDS?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Something to think about next time you wanna blow some dosh on this expensive god drat hobby

Oooh! :stare: That is very cool! This could actually work for a VR setup, which is something I want to eventually do.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

I said come in! posted:

Oooh! :stare: That is very cool! This could actually work for a VR setup, which is something I want to eventually do.

It works really well for that. I'm exclusively in VR now and have no issue setting the rig up and taking it down for practice / race day.

Be careful tho, two months ago I had a G27 + a desk. I tried ACC in VR, mixed in with a little quarantine boredom, and voila, $5000 in the hole.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but how stable is that foldable playseat? I'm not looking for "THIS BETTER NOT MOVE A SINGLE FEMTOMETER" rigidity, but does it at least resist flexing with a decent belt driven wheel? Can you stomp on the brake pedal without the whole seat bending? I have some lovely old fanatec rig that is in the way and I would rather just get rid of it if I can get something that can fold up into a smaller form factor sometimes.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
With the CSL Elites, just make sure to keep the pots clean. I had some hair and dust and stuff get into mine and they were reading funky at partial pedal travel till I cleaned them out, and it seems they have a history of wearing out. I'm probably gonna put in a ticket with Fanatec to get a couple spare pots just in case.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Cojawfee posted:

I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but how stable is that foldable playseat? I'm not looking for "THIS BETTER NOT MOVE A SINGLE FEMTOMETER" rigidity, but does it at least resist flexing with a decent belt driven wheel? Can you stomp on the brake pedal without the whole seat bending? I have some lovely old fanatec rig that is in the way and I would rather just get rid of it if I can get something that can fold up into a smaller form factor sometimes.

It's very stable for what it is. It was decent out of the box but after dialing it in, it's perfectly consistent for my driving. I have the CSW 2.5 on it, and I reinforced the wheel deck with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/pangshi-Adju...99006563&sr=8-3

I don't think it could handle a DD immediately, but honestly, after buying two of those magic arms, a DD might just work. Sounds insane, probably is, but I doubt I'll have space for a permanent rig for a while.

I have the hardest setting installed from the CSV3 BPK, and I don't have issues with a full travel, heavy brake pedal. If you are STOMPING the brake, like, beyond any force you'd actually want when driving, you might lift a little. Again you gotta really spend a solid few hours dialing the whole setup in, and more after that to tweak it. It's worth it in the end though. I would have never imagined having a rig as worthy as my Playseat while living in my small-ish apartment.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Shogunner posted:

That just made me think of the Gamester Race Pacs that my dad and I had like 15 years ago. We used them to play Forza and Colin McRae with them.

http://seatsteeringwheel.com/gamester-racing-steering-wheel-seat-ps2-xbox-and-more-multi-system-adapter.htm

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Shogunner posted:

yes, i am often on the shutoko servers, that mod in VR is so loving good. any other recommended multiplayer AC experiences??

https://www.simracingsystem.com/ and https://paddock.worldsimseries.com/events (though WSS is down at the moment of writing this). Mind you, most users are based in the EU. They both have races around the clock, but the servers are not exactly busy at US times.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Shogunner posted:

It's very stable for what it is. It was decent out of the box but after dialing it in, it's perfectly consistent for my driving. I have the CSW 2.5 on it, and I reinforced the wheel deck with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/pangshi-Adju...99006563&sr=8-3

I don't think it could handle a DD immediately, but honestly, after buying two of those magic arms, a DD might just work. Sounds insane, probably is, but I doubt I'll have space for a permanent rig for a while.

I have the hardest setting installed from the CSV3 BPK, and I don't have issues with a full travel, heavy brake pedal. If you are STOMPING the brake, like, beyond any force you'd actually want when driving, you might lift a little. Again you gotta really spend a solid few hours dialing the whole setup in, and more after that to tweak it. It's worth it in the end though. I would have never imagined having a rig as worthy as my Playseat while living in my small-ish apartment.

Can you post a photo of your magic arm setup? I have the folding Playseat too and my only complaint is the 2-3mm flex in the wheel mount. No pedal flex at all, although the foam rubber that is meant to keep your pedals in place will get a bit chewed up over time if you elevate the pedals at all.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

giogadi posted:

Thanks for the info! I find it odd that they didn't release the GT3-specific content as extra DLC/packs for AC. Anyway, it sounds like AC is right up my alley. Thanks!

Because the physics engine (and graphics engine) it uses are completely different. It's Unreal Engine 4 based and uses new physics, tirewear, etc modeling. It wouldn't really work in any way as a DLC. You should be happy with AC though!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Most of the good ACC content (cars and tracks) have been or are in the process of being converted to AC mods by the modding community. Bathurst from ACC was recently converted and it’s fantastic. AC modding doesn’t really show any signs of slowing down. The Custom Shaders Patch and Sol are really doing a good job to keep it alive.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Yeah, AC is the undisputed king of modding right now, rF2 following at quite a distance. It's certainly gonna stay that way for quite a few years and I wouldn't be too suprised if "a few years" turns into "this decade".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

rF2 is never going to become a major modding home with how well AC has established itself. And nothing is really going to overtake it any time soon so just like rFactor before it, it's always going to have at least some worth. Hell rF1 still has value with the sheer volume of ridiulously niche mods that game had (though some of that stuff is getting increasingly hard to find).

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

a loathsome bird posted:

Can you post a photo of your magic arm setup? I have the folding Playseat too and my only complaint is the 2-3mm flex in the wheel mount. No pedal flex at all, although the foam rubber that is meant to keep your pedals in place will get a bit chewed up over time if you elevate the pedals at all.

Here you go! I can't guarantee it will be as easy if you don't have my exact wheel deck setup and that exact magic arm. My chair is dialed in for me (5'10) and those two holes at the front were perfect for mounting. Two is definitely overkill for the CSW 2.5 but again, it could honestly handle a not-100% strength DD with the added rigidity.

edit: higher-res image

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 2, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Shogunner posted:

Here you go! I can't guarantee it will be as easy if you don't have my exact wheel deck setup and that exact magic arm. My chair is dialed in for me (5'10) and those two holes at the front were perfect for mounting. Two is definitely overkill for the CSW 2.5 but again, it could honestly handle a not-100% strength DD with the added rigidity.

Did.. did you put fanatec stickers on them?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Cojawfee posted:

Did.. did you put fanatec stickers on them?

yes, why

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Shogunner posted:

Thanks- in case others are looking at this too, I don't think that will work with a T300 setup since the wheel base has a lip that goes forward over the mounting plate, so you don't have access to those two holes in the front.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

a loathsome bird posted:

Thanks- in case others are looking at this too, I don't think that will work with a T300 setup since the wheel base has a lip that goes forward over the mounting plate, so you don't have access to those two holes in the front.

You could fabricate an extension. I was almost about to do this, it doesn't seem that difficult if you have a drill thankfully.

Idea from this r/simracing post: https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/hpj7mf/playseat_challenge_mods_stability_braking_shifter/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

So I picked up a G29 a couple months ago to fill the void caused by the demise of both my daily commute and summer road trips at the hands of SARS-CoV 2, and even though I do really enjoy PC2 and Dirt Rally/2.0, I am absolutely addicted to BeamNG and in fact just got done with a three hour tour of the tropical island map. If they tightened up the graphics a bit and refined the driving model I basically would never leave my house again. It's just goofy that a soft-body physics tech demo spontaneously morphed into my all-time favorite driving sim.