Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Can you guys PLEASE put spoiler tags inside the train station :11tea:

All jokes aside what the hell is up with japan not caring about spoilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviabeetus
Feb 14, 2010

Professorjuggalo posted:

What the hell is up with the US giving so much of a poo poo about spoilers?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Professorjuggalo posted:

I think it's just a cultural approach to storytelling? A very "the journey is more important than the destination" thing. Old DBZ episodes would just be like "the death of Krillin!" Even with The Seven Samurai, some of the original ads would say "this is the tale of seven noble warriors. These ones die!"

I don't know enough on the subject to say definitively, but that's what it's always looked like to me.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Holy poo poo, Eraserhead. It's always really intense when someone tries cutting off a limb to prevent the infection from spreading.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Can't wait for the arc where Shigaraki gets the Infinity Gauntlet.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Professorjuggalo posted:

i personally never really got the western approach to it, but i aim to be respectful because i know that a lot of people feel the story is ruined if they know certain key things beforehand

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think knowing spoilers ruins the story one bit, and I've found that it actually enhances the story at times, but you do lose the impact of having the big twist if you know it's coming. Considering that you can reread a story over and over, but you can only be surprised by the twist once...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
How is “Shigaraki is the villain who decays things” a spoiler? That ad seems cool as hell.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Unless you consider new costumes/character designs a spoiler (which some people do, to my confusion) nothing in that is a spoiler.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't think knowing spoilers ruins the story one bit, and I've found that it actually enhances the story at times, but you do lose the impact of having the big twist if you know it's coming. Considering that you can reread a story over and over, but you can only be surprised by the twist once...

I've read that being spoiled actually raises overall enjoyment of a work, based on some study. At any rate though, different people react differently to spoilers. I know people who don't care about spoilers at all whatsoever, and others who consider drat near any information about a work, even its general plot, to be a heinous spoiler. It's just a personal taste thing, like most everything else in the world.

Either way, it's not like people who don't care about spoilers necessarily seek them out, so avoiding them doesn't hurt anything, but NOT avoiding them could.

PMush Perfect posted:

How is “Shigaraki is the villain who decays things” a spoiler? That ad seems cool as hell.

This is definitely one of those times where it's only a spoiler if you already know it's a spoiler. For a manga reader, the ad shows Shigaraki powered up, using his bigass AOE decaying, which is definitely a spoiler if you're not caught up / anime-only. However, if you don't know Shigaraki gets powered up in those ways, then it just looks like a cool design of him decaying the panels and stuff. The act of saying "this is a spoiler!" is what spoils it. This poo poo happened all the time in the JoJo anime threads, where spoilers would be hinted at in the OPs but were obscure enough to not be obvious. That is, until others went THIS IS SO SPOILERY at which point it's easy to figure out what happens. Anime fans are very bad about this for some reason.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Anime fans are very bad about this for some reason.
To be fair, most people are bad at it. Anime fans just have the most opportunities to show it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I mean by that metric, aren't all anime openings spoilers? One of the things I liked about watching Naruto and One Piece was seeing characters and moves in new openings that weren't yet in the series, and getting excited at what I now knew was coming, and knowing that I'd get context on it later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, anime OPs generally spoil stuff all the time (for example, the current Boruto opening and the most recent two One Piece openings).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover had an OP that spoiled the demon reveal, which is something that happens almost right at the end of the particular 12 episodes it covered I think, and that's supposed to be a huge reveal.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
One Piece has had some hilariously spoilery openings. Notably showing off all the post timeskip designs before the actual show revealed them.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The anime operates off the assumption that you've already read the manga.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
90% of romcom OPs make very clear who ends up with the MC.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think it varies on the situation and person to person. For example, I've been spoiled on a story for a couple shows and games before and I still felt the emotional impact of it but there's a recent game I've been playing where the spoiler has been gnawing at the back of my head the entire time I've played it, wondering when it's going to happen. In this case it's really distracting to me, but usually it isn't, and I'm sure on any subsequent playthroughs it won't bother me.

big spoilers if you're curious about the example Dragon Quest 11 Spoiler~~~ I read Veronica dies ~~~ Dragon Quest 11 Spoiler

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The anime operates off the assumption that you've already read the manga.

I’m pretty sure there’s a few animes out there not based on manga whose openings still contain at least some slight spoilers.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 31, 2020

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Something I noticed rereading the chapter

Is Deku using Black Whip as a cast/tourniquet for the arm that used Wyoming Smash?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

What exactly is your solution? Just keep airing the first episode over and over again becaude you don't want to accidentally spoil people who haven't been keeping up with every episode and have those in some other web service if they want to spoil more of the story for themselves?

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

What exactly is your solution? Just keep airing the first episode over and over again

That's actually worked for Attack on Titan. Live action movies, product advertising and amusement park rides all based on the first dozen episodes. The ads make you think the entire plot is constant titan attacks on Trost district.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is Deku using Black Whip as a cast/tourniquet for the arm that used Wyoming Smash?

Yes he is. He's learning on the fly.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

RareAcumen posted:

What exactly is your solution? Just keep airing the first episode over and over again becaude you don't want to accidentally spoil people who haven't been keeping up with every episode and have those in some other web service if they want to spoil more of the story for themselves?

i meant more on how animes will have giant events spoiled in the title cards or OP's and poo poo and wasnt really looking for an answer. I just found it weird that western culture can rally around 2 week spoiler free peroids for stuff like avengers end game but you can plop a episode of DBZ that says GOKU DIES. idk why you're acting like im complaining about it off a harmless quip

edit: to keep it back to the chapter i think we'll learn bakugous hero name or deku gets a new power before any timeskip

Professorjuggalo fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 31, 2020

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sub Harrison posted:

That's actually worked for Attack on Titan. Live action movies, product advertising and amusement park rides all based on the first dozen episodes. The ads make you think the entire plot is constant titan attacks on Trost district.

Makes a certain amount of sense, given how long it took for season 2 to come out.

The really funny thing there is how much Isayama drops spoilers that only become clear in hindsight, up to and including the last panel of the manga.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
spoilers that become clear in hindsight... you mean foreshadowing?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr Subterfuge posted:

spoilers that become clear in hindsight... you mean foreshadowing?

Well, yeah, if you want to use the right terms for things, fine. Say it that way. But it goes a little further than in-narrative foreshadowing.

He cited the openings to Breaking Bad seasons as a reference, where you outright show what you're going to do well in advance, but you leave out the context. There's a lot of Attack on Titan related media (promotional ads, non-canon gag pages, music videos) that casually reveals things years before the manga has them happen.

For example, the ED for one season of the anime shows Ymir being eaten by her daughters years before the manga got to that reveal. Or how Historia calls Eren her boyfriend in an ad for the Attack on Titan final exhibit.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Maybe it’s like a spring rather than a cast? Regardless I like how he’s integrated black whip into his fighting style. I’ll be really impressed if Horikoshi can keep that up for all his quirks. Nana’s hover should be pretty easy at least.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 1, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This fight has justified black whip to me tbh. Deku's fighting style has really evolved to incorporate it, he's pulling off some sick stuff with it and ultimately this fight would be less cool if he only had super strength.

Hopefully the other quirks work out as well.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm also really glad it's not just Spider-Man webs

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He could probably use black whip as a brace for his arm so it doesn't get completely ruined when he goes all out with an attack.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I just remembered that they made a point of showing Eri's horn was getting bigger before this whole thing started going down, so I wouldn't be surprised if she used her quirk to save someone's life after this battle(betting on either Deku or Aizawa).

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Deku and Sero are going to form a rescue team in the second half that’s easily the most effective given the versatility of Blackwhip and Tape

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
If you don't like Shigaraki after this chapter, I don't know what to tell you.

He actually predicted Aizawa would cut his own leg off, based on all those times he was a Pretty Cool Guy, and took advantage of the split-second gap to escape. He ate a 100% Smash and just latched on with his teeth to keep from getting hit again!
He's got more "main hero" energy than the actual Heroes at this point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I imagine he doesn't have any de-quirking bullets left since that is even more complicating. He grabbed a big fistful of them and stuffed them in both pockets but it showed some of them spilling out from his super-jumping before the real fight started.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Professorjuggalo posted:

From what I've seen of twitter and such there's a dichotomy here:
Readers tend to be quite respectful, hiding stuff that's meant to be kept hidden and such.
Companies straight up assume you're up to date with whatever product they're releasing and absolutely don't mind showing you stuff that's already considered "old". In the case of a weekly manga, "old" can mean "a week ago".

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Vengarr posted:

He actually predicted Aizawa would cut his own leg off, based on all those times he was a Pretty Cool Guy, and took advantage of the split-second gap to escape. He ate a 100% Smash and just latched on with his teeth to keep from getting hit again!

him super regenerating back to full health is as annoying as it is in actual video games so he's nothing if not on theme

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
regeneration would be less broken if it meant you can heal from anything, but you'd still run out of energy eventually. Like, hell yeah I regrew all my limbs! Time to sleep for a month! The infinite energy regeneration machine style of it sucks due to how OP it is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vengarr posted:

I absolutely hate his new power set, specifically the super regeneration, and feel like it drains 100% of any tension out of the fight because there's no sense of accumulating damage or cost, and he's also super mega ultra invincible strong even without his active powers so despite Deku punching his head in he's just fine. To use a MHA comparison, something like the Stain fight was way more fun to read because there was an escalating cost to both sides that ratcheted up tension. Hell, to even use a Shigaraki fight, Shigaraki vs Re-Destro was way cooler than this fight is.

I'm really just waiting for the other shoe to drop so we can move on with wherever this is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

regeneration would be less broken if it meant you can heal from anything, but you'd still run out of energy eventually. Like, hell yeah I regrew all my limbs! Time to sleep for a month! The infinite energy regeneration machine style of it sucks due to how OP it is.

Yah Shiggy is definitely approaching Majin Buu power levels here