Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

DorianGravy posted:

On that topic, what is the "mood" of Hyper Light Drifter like? I think the gameplay looks really neat, but the story seems somber and melancholy, and I'm not sure I want to play a game like that right now. If that's the case, can anyone recommend a good adventure or Metroidvania game that's a bit more upbeat?

It's somber. I'd say only the Eastern Outdoor Areas are bright and fun, and the graphics have a real cool neon coloration to them, but even if the plot can be hard to decipher it's not particularly happy.

I'd recommend the Steam World Dig games. 1+2 in that order. Ok sure they can get dire, as all games do with final bosses, but it's pretty fun and whole-hearted all the way through.

Otherwise... Minit... which is not a metroidvania, but ish. OH! I mean A Short Hike is just the chillest loving game, Untitled Goose Game is a laugh and half, Katamari Damacy is a joy to play, and Donut County is Katamari-esque but has great fun dialogue as well. Celeste has its down moments but is also full of hope.

None of those are metroidvanias but can be very upbeat fun games. A Short Hike is short, but it's also excellent, and it does feature a lot of exploration being somewhat gated behind how much stamina you unlock so it has metroidvania touches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Why don't we all just ignore supposed leaks entirely? Even in the absolute best case scenario (the leaker being right), the game won't come out any sooner. And in most cases, it just makes people pine for things that aren't going to come out (while generating clicks for people who make things up). And there are a ton of games on Switch, so it's not like we're lacking in things to play.

On that topic, what is the "mood" of Hyper Light Drifter like? I think the gameplay looks really neat, but the story seems somber and melancholy, and I'm not sure I want to play a game like that right now. If that's the case, can anyone recommend a good adventure or Metroidvania game that's a bit more upbeat?

I recently played Shantae and The Pirate’s Curse and I don’t think you get anymore cheery than that.

Mister Facetious posted:

lol good luck with that. The social animal wants gossip, rumors, and speculation.

This social animal just wants the Shiren 5 port to finally come out.

Been playing Puyo Puyo Champions and drat still hard. Do the characters do anything besides voice tracks? Makes me want a port of Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo. I remember playing the poo poo out of it on the Saturn as a kid. Felt more casual and forgiving but that’s just 25 year old memories talking.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarioIsBroken/status/1297264531794571264

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bdv7SfC98A

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

b_d posted:

the weirdest part was when they announced "mario's dick" and just showed mario with a big swinging ding dong for a good minute or so. I don't think it's even a game?

It's kind of the same as Mario 128.

Eventually there'll be a non-Mario game released, specifically to show off dick physics.

Dickmin.

Anyway, for real, I just saw a Bakugan commercial and it's the first time in my life I've ever even heard that word spoken out loud.

Is it even a popular thing? I know poo poo all about yugioh, Naruto, digimon, or any of that stuff, but I've at least seen and heard all of that referenced for what must be decades now.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bakugan's been around slightly less long then Beyblade, I remember seeing the toy ads back when I still watched TV. I have to go out of my way to hear anything about Beyblade but Bakugan keeps popping up unbidden from time to time so someone must be buying it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know nothing about code but I'm not sure I buy "RE7 won't run on the Switch but they're going to take the engine and make a Monster Hunter game that works fine" RE7 wasn't exactly fast paced and it didn't have much going on most of the time. Meanwhile MH is a fast paced game with particle effects, giant fast moving monsters, and up to 4 players.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Len posted:

I know nothing about code but I'm not sure I buy "RE7 won't run on the Switch but they're going to take the engine and make a Monster Hunter game that works fine" RE7 wasn't exactly fast paced and it didn't have much going on most of the time. Meanwhile MH is a fast paced game with particle effects, giant fast moving monsters, and up to 4 players.

There isn’t a way to RE7’s graphical fidelity on the Switch without turning it into a microwave. A game doesn’t have to be particularly big or complicated to have massive textures that make Switch struggle and cry.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haha

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh if you can put Witcher 3 on Switch you can probably put anything, the question is wether it's worth spending time and effort to

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Every single FPS I've played on Switch has felt absolutely terrible, except MAYBE Doom 3 cos of 60fps

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the switch is a gameboy and playing FPS on a gameboy is dumb. the control nubs are too small

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Eh if you can put Witcher 3 on Switch you can probably put anything, the question is wether it's worth spending time and effort to

Witcher 3 is a game that scales exceptionally well for lower end machines.

Most games run way way worse on low end rigs.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Rutibex posted:

the switch is a gameboy and playing FPS on a gameboy is dumb. the control nubs are too small

Playing most AAA on the portable screen is less than ideal and doubly so with FPS. It isn't too bad docked usually though.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Every single FPS I've played on Switch has felt absolutely terrible, except MAYBE Doom 3 cos of 60fps

As a counterpoint, I have thoroughly enjoyed Turok 2 and Immortal Redneck in portable mode.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Takoluka posted:

As a counterpoint, I have thoroughly enjoyed Turok 2 and Immortal Redneck in portable mode.

Wait Turok is on the switch?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Turok 1 + 2 are on the switch

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Takoluka posted:

I want to try Immortal Redneck but it never goes on sale :(

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Apparently you can now cancel preorders on the switch as long as you do it more than 7 days before the release date. Progress!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I've been playing FPSers with a left joycon (for gyro) and a right hori pro con and it works great.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about Turok 1/2, they aren't bad.

Turok 2 is the most confusing game I've ever played though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think the quality of life improvements actually made Turok 2 worse.

You're lost, so you turn on objective markers and you see that where you need to go is directly below you. Great, so now you spend the next ten minutes trying to get down from where you are when you actually need to go up a ramp on the complete opposite side of the map before you even get a chance to go further down

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

You're lost, so you turn on objective markers and you see that where you need to go is directly below you. Great, so now you spend the next ten minutes trying to get down from where you are when you actually need to go up a ramp on the complete opposite side of the map before you even get a chance to go further down

Yeah I gave up after the alien ship level, it was way too confusing.
The port was really good though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It's kind of the same as Mario 128.

Eventually there'll be a non-Mario game released, specifically to show off dick physics.

Dickmin.

I play games to escape reality, so I'll wait for the sequel, Dickmax.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Takoluka posted:

Project Warlock is also very good in portable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Another day has come and gone without finishing Xenoblade. Are there people who like their games to be like 30% beginning, 20% middle and then 50% end like this game is?

See also: Final Fantasy 15

Edit: Now it's a Mega Man style boss rush? What is this poo poo? I'm just hate-playing the game by now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 1, 2020

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RandomFerret posted:

I love Turok 2, and I 100% agree with this.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

numerrik posted:

Apparently you can now cancel preorders on the switch as long as you do it more than 7 days before the release date. Progress!
The cynical take on this is that Nintendo doesn't want you canceling preorders after review embargoes lift, but honestly I think they just want to avoid unnecessary payment processor feeds (which they could better address by letting you purchase multiple games in one transaction on the eShop).

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel

Samurai Sanders posted:

Another day has come and gone without finishing Xenoblade. Are there people who like their games to be like 30% beginning, 20% middle and then 50% end like this game is?

Edit: Now it's a Mega Man style boss rush? What is this poo poo? I'm just hate-playing the game by now.

I chickened out the last 15% or so and just switched it to casual mode I just wanted it to end.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I had a random thought today. I started humming the Chao Garden theme while making lunch, and that made me wonder all over again why Sega/Sonic Team/Whoever never released a standalone Chao raising game.

I know I spent at least half my time in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 messing around with the Chao. Replaying levels? Sure didn't do it to get a better high score; I was after those cylinder things and more animals to power up my Chao!

I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver Falcon posted:

I had a random thought today. I started humming the Chao Garden theme while making lunch, and that made me wonder all over again why Sega/Sonic Team/Whoever never released a standalone Chao raising game.

I know I spent at least half my time in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 messing around with the Chao. Replaying levels? Sure didn't do it to get a better high score; I was after those cylinder things and more animals to power up my Chao!

I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

extremely same, pretty sure Sega just hates money

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's what the Sonic Advance games were, there was just a lovely platformer attached to them

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Len posted:

They didn’t say it had to look good or have a good framerate

I distinctly remember playing the monster hunter demo on an old 3ds and it just ran like poo poo but it still broke sales records

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Any good fishing games on the Switch? With how much time I spend on fishing minigame I thought maybe I go for a whole-rear end game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Okay, that's the final credits of Xenoblade. I'm extremely not motivated to play the post game stuff right now, unless it's just the most awesome thing ever.

Edit: really digging the trend of RPGs being a little bit shorter. If you can call Final Fantasy 7R a trend, anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 1, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Samurai Sanders posted:

Okay, that's the final credits of Xenoblade. I'm extremely not motivated to play the post game stuff right now, unless it's just the most awesome thing ever.

It's not worth playing. It's basically just some additional character development for Melia, that's pretty much it. You get Shulk, her, and two Nopons that are basically copies of Reyn and Sharla.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's my favorite single player MMO!

Is this DE or 2? Or do they both kind of play like that? I just started DE the other day.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The latest Mario 35th anniversary leak is “the Mario games are totally real and still coming out but they’re being pushed back.” I usually don’t follow video game leaks because they’re lame, and this is just more confirmation that they are lame (and almost always not true).

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

The latest Mario 35th anniversary leak is “the Mario games are totally real and still coming out but they’re being pushed back.” I usually don’t follow video game leaks because they’re lame, and this is just more confirmation that they are lame (and almost always not true).

I feel like this Mario one has been going the entire year now. Good lord. At least there's some basis in reality for the Metroid Prime speculation, to my understanding. They haven't even said they're doing anything for Mario.

It's not like Nintendo was like. Woo boy! Big Mario announcement this year guys!

My most optimistic but still unlikely scenario is a bunch of Mario Switch games go on sale for $35. More than likely if there is a sale it'll be 35% instead, ehehehe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Samurai Sanders posted:

For the last 10% or so of Xenoblade's story I just rushed it because when the end wasn't in sight around level 60 I was starting to worry that the game's storyline would actually make use of the level 99 cap.

It was really fun but goddamn, Xenoblade games are long. I think I spent 80 hours on the XC1 story. I put over 115hrs in to XC2 (included fighting various superbosses and additional screwing around) and that was before Torna came out as well. I forget how much time I put in to XCX but most of it was probably exploration because while XCX's story sucked and combat was busted as hell, the exploration was top tier.