Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

There still is a metallica tribute band getting around Sydney. I forget the name now but they do a decent job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I made a small workshop hammer

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I believe the technical term for that is a "thwacker"

The exam stress is currently deep and meaningful, i am out of practice for exams.

Mustafa
Jun 3, 2007
Hay, screw you
I must be an exception because my Fastway package arrived on time and I didn't have to hound them for it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hammett is a poo poo guitarist? What are you smoking? The guy was taught by Satriani!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Mustafa posted:

I must be an exception because my Fastway package arrived on time and I didn't have to hound them for it.

Mine would've arrived on time if I was home so I'm also an exception I guess

Or maybe my local delivery guy is an exception to the usual contractors

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hyperlynx posted:

Hammett is a poo poo guitarist? What are you smoking? The guy was taught by Satriani!

He fucks up a bit and does kinda rely on similar scales / patterns a lot. It's a bit unfair because he's compared with the losers in Megadeth or other shred idiots, when he's more influenced by Hendrix and blues stuff than the 1000 bpm note printers that pass as guitarists in other bands.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

well that explains why hes poo poo then.

e: James and Cliff are the only good Metallica members.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

How do you like metal and not like shred. Particularly thrash metal. I don't get it.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

naeka posted:

I got an email asking for a map to my house cause the guy couldn't find it so i sent an ms paint map back thursday or friday i drew up on my phone. Came out for a smoke before and parcel was laying outside so hooray, got a happy ending eventually just took a while to get there.

Jesus loving christ, how can a deliver company be this bad at the one thing they do?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

they are franchised so likely someone who needed a job and couldnt get one just bought a franchise instead and are quickly finding out that delivery is a poo poo industry to be in.

baaderbrains
Apr 30, 2007

safeguard the children
Hammett is a human wah pedal.

Newstead's actually a really good bassist, he just wasn't allowed to do much but Lars and James. And you know, really good doesn't equal actually play interesting music.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I though Metallica was a band you listened to when you're a black shirted teenager and then you kinda grow out of when you're older and discover cooler metal music

But don't ask me, I listened to Arcade Fire a lot in high school, I'm way more embarrassing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

I though Metallica was a band you listened to when you're a black shirted teenager and then you kinda grow out of when you're older and discover cooler metal music

But don't ask me, I listened to Arcade Fire a lot in high school, I'm way more embarrassing.

Metallica is as good as metal gets before you drift into overly technical or offensive for offences sake stuff like grind core or black metal.

I dunno I really liked metal when i was younger but grew out of all of it except Metallica. Now it's all stoner/doom for heavy stuff for me. You just can't groove to blast beats.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

S&M2 doesn't have Human or Fuel on it

Ripped off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-JpoQOOiUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRBrTjwn2T4

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Caesar Saladin posted:

I listened to arcade Fire as a grown man which is infinitely more embarassing imo

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Metallica is the most overrated metal band who have not had a good album since they released Master of Puppets.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just :laffo: if you don't unironically love your dorky teenage phase.

This music pack came out recently and it owns bones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTwCNXEELOM

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I was so into angsty metal as a teenager that my incredibly embarassing 20s segue into earnest guitar pop probably seemed very jarring to anyone observing it but looking back it makes perfect sense that I'd transition into a less angry form of awful angsty music

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm 38 and still listen to black metal
Not proud of it but I think I'm stuck with it now, my taste in music is permanently disfigured
I only go to a few gigs a year and dont wear the t-shirts anymore

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

How do you like metal and not like shred. Particularly thrash metal. I don't get it.

Metal is pretty diverse. I mainly listen to slower, more dense and atmospheric stuff where fast solos aren't as much of a thing.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Lots of metallica doesn't even seem very heavy, a lot of it just seems like hard rock or something with a corny american lead singer.

I don't wanna be a hater but I just don't get it. I feel like the guitars should be tuned lower.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

If you're not listening to Mac Demarco and imagining sitting on the porch with a dart and a coffee you're not even trying

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
rage against the machine is the only "metal" I like, if you call it metal

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

McSpergin posted:

If you're not listening to Mac Demarco and imagining sitting on the porch with a dart and a coffee you're not even trying

saying "dart and a coffee" together just made me have intense brutal nicotine cravings

baaderbrains
Apr 30, 2007

safeguard the children

Infinitum posted:

Just :laffo: if you don't unironically love your dorky teenage phase.

I listened to heart on sleeve naively political 90s hardcore when I was a teenager and still mostly listen to it now...not sure if that’s a good thing or not.

EoinCannon posted:

Not proud of it but I think I'm stuck with it now, my taste in music is permanently disfigured

I’m 38 and just quit a black metal band a couple years ago. That’s totally worse.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
All this music talk and I legit just got slapped down by Aussie parlance by copping a 7 day ban on FB for calling an Ozzy Osbourne song a "loving cracker"...

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm 40 next year and you can scrape my Tool shirt off my apathetic xennial corpse

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Yeah mate it's a dead set ripsnorter hey.

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

McSpergin posted:

Did both of these things today. Life is a bit strange.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I just watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, nobody ever talks about the part where they hug and then back off and call eachother fags in unison.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Jestery posted:

All (western ) music is made up of 12 evenly spaced notes.

C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#,A, A#, B

While these notes are evenly spaced, our notation of them can lead to some confusion
(See E and B there?)

An interval is a space between a note,( some naturally sound more better or fitting than others)

A scale is a series of 8 notes that follow a pattern of intervals that either directly follow , a half note interval, or jump one whole note, a whole note interval

A note outside of these eight notes and will sound odd or not quite fit, it's how you know when someone plays a wrong note.

Follow the line on this handy diagram of a major scale

Note that the pattern of whole and half note Intervals

And this handy video
https://youtu.be/LYb0-x9LEpk
Note that a major scale sounds "happy"

Notes within a scale can be labelled as 1st 2nd 3rd 4th...etc and the pattern will repeat at the 8th , an "octave" higher

This pattern can begin on any "root note" in the chromatic scale and will still sound "happy"

This is where is gets a bit tricky but stay with it

If you start a scale at a different n'th number but still following the pattern you will be in tune, but playing a different "mooded" scale originating from a different root not

This is an example using the C major scale

For example

C major and A minor both have the same notes and pattern of whole note and half note Intervals but a originate on a different root note and therefore have a different "mood"

A really good example of one of these different moods is the outro to "father figure" by George Michael

https://youtu.be/m_9hfHvQSNo
5:20
Note how it sound in tune but weird? It's Lydian mode =) (I think)

Most western music will only use Ionian (Major) and Aoelian (Minor) because boring western ears suuuck

For these examples I have been using the C major scale for simplicity (it lacks any flats and sharps) but the intervals and rules remain true no matter what you root note is, as long as you are operating in the western 12 tone chromatic scale and octave system

Congrats you have read everything I remember from a CERT IV in music performance ten years ago

This has been pretty useful for thinking about music thanks.
Do you know an easy way to explain how a chord of a key and the rest of the intervals greater than tones and semi-tones fits into this?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Chords are generally built on every third tone of a note played at the same time. For instance C Major is C, E and G. The Root, the Third and the Fifth. That's a standard major chord. A Minor chord has a Third that is flat, or a semitone lower, so C Minor is a C E-Flat and G. You can stack more notes on a chord to make up stuff like Maj7, Min7, and different variations of flats to make up things like diminished and dominant 7s chords.

You can stack these thirds from every note in a scale for a chord progression. For instance, the major scale progression from C will give you C Major, D Minor, E Minor, F Major, G Major, A Minor. Some of these have flats due to the fact that there isn't actually a semitone between every note in a scale. With those flats, you end up with minor chords. Playing these chords together with C Major as the root will generally sound nice together, and playing the C Major scale on top will give you some listenable melodies on top.

I'm not sure if I explained that in an understable way tbh.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Tokamak posted:

Metal is pretty diverse. I mainly listen to slower, more dense and atmospheric stuff where fast solos aren't as much of a thing.

That's fair enough. But it's weird to like a thrash metal band, of all things, and also claim the lead guitarist is crap because he plays shred solos...

Anyway, speaking of thrash metal, and being the thread this is, I think this is pretty great:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0e-8rnauaEc

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Hyperlynx posted:

That's fair enough. But it's weird to like a thrash metal band, of all things, and also claim the lead guitarist is crap because he plays shred solos...

Giving poo poo to Kirk is pretty trendy, but giving poo poo to Lars is just natural.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can someone put Tony Abbott back in his bin please?

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

All this music talk and I legit just got slapped down by Aussie parlance by copping a 7 day ban on FB for calling an Ozzy Osbourne song a "loving cracker"...

lol

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Flannelette posted:

This has been pretty useful for thinking about music thanks.
Do you know an easy way to explain how a chord of a key and the rest of the intervals greater than tones and semi-tones fits into this?

In a get you up and playing, crash course, kinda way

Chords

A chord is the 1st 3rd & 5th note of a scale played simultaneously

It is conceptually important to note how that if you are playing a minor chord it is still just notes in a respective major scale, but since you are starting the 1, 3, 5, in a new place the mood feels different (If you include the 7th note in your chord it will also fit and the mood becomes more pronounced, but let's not get ahead of ourselves)

For example let's consider the C major (Ionian) scale again

C D E F G A B

Looking at this diagram again

Want to play an A aoelian chord?
A C E

D Dorian?
D F A

G mixolydian?
G B D

Etcetera etcetera....

You might know these moods by another name or feeling, and just try locrian out for a spin it's pretty :thonk:

This is quick and dirty out line of chords within a scale and you can absolutely break these in ways that are intuitive and fitting. But it's a very robust and ancient model for explaining harmony and the naming schema

Even something like the intro purple haze by hendrix, that discordant " durn darn durn darn" is just the 1st and 3rd and 8th of a locrian scale that is based off of the Ionian mode of the rest of the song

As for larger intervals, what exactly do you mean?

Like for that sort of freedom I put the onus on the composer or performer . my conception doesn't extend to 4th, 5ths etc beyond like "yep thats an interval"

Jestery fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here