Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to refuel in the middle of your flight plan if you land somewhere? I'm doing a little sightseeing flight from Vienna to Innsbruck but fuel consumption is a little higher than I expected and I might run out en route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Is there a way to refuel in the middle of your flight plan if you land somewhere? I'm doing a little sightseeing flight from Vienna to Innsbruck but fuel consumption is a little higher than I expected and I might run out en route.

If ATC won't send you a truck, you can map the keyboard shortcut for refuel.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
One thing I don't see many people talk about is the amazing sound in FS2020. Recently jumped into X-Plane again, to get my VR cockpit fix, and was astounded at how bad it sounds. One generic, super loud, click for almost every button and terrible engine loops that are so short they have a rythm. Then back to the TBM in FS2020 and just switching that ignition switch, with its deeply satisfying "thunk" sound, made the difference painfully obvious! Plus I love the way certain planes creek and moan as they bank, not to mention the outside noises. All those little ambient sounds add so much to the experience beyond just "engine go brrrrrr".

In spite of all the issues, and there are definitely quite a few, this whole thing is just a mind blowing experience to me. Especially compared to what else is out there. Flying in a tiny turboprop and suddenly seeing a gigantic wall of dark, stormy, clouds extend thousands of feet up in front of you is actually intimidating. I am really enjoying this, can't wait to get a proper controller

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Some airports have a fuelling station; if you pull up to it, a refuelling interface will automatically come up.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Also you can open the refueling options from the top menu at any time. Even in flight.

Does not apply to challenges/missions.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
Not super directly relevant to anything being discussed here at the moment but I think the best thing I did in terms of affecting my enjoyment of the game was turn ATC off. Still follow the procedures and whatnot, but no more having ATC demanding I expedite my plane into the side of a mountain or insisting I taxi some donuts into the apron before lining me up at the wrong runway.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I set ATC to automatic and it works for the most part but every now and then it starts hounding me about going to a certain altitude so I just turn the coms off.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

An in-game chart would be nice, sure, but probably wouldn't compare to the official airport diagrams you can get off SkyVector or similar:

untowered:

towered:

https://skyvector.com/airport/HWD/Hayward-Executive-Airport

Also note that your G1000 probably has the runway diagrams available on the map display if you zoom in all the way. Makes it easy to find your way around.

It's hidden pilot lore. By which I mean it's something you learn when you're learning how to plan a flight. You select your altitudes based on fuel efficiency, terrain, weather, airspace, climb and descent performance. Most airplanes are more fuel-efficient (and faster) at higher altitudes (broadly because the air is thinner), so on a long cruise you'd ideally pick something up high rather than plodding through the thick air down low. But it takes time and fuel to climb up to the flight levels, so you need to balance that against the route. If it's a short flight, it might be better to accept a lower cruise altitude so that you can level off sooner and just gun it to your destination, rather than spending half the flight climbing at a reduced airspeed and the other half descending.

Airlines will have the altitudes and climbs for their routes worked out to the second to save gas. GA pilots usually just pick an altitude that will clear all the terrain and feels right and call it a day.

e: one note, though: there are specified cruising altitudes that act as "lanes" that you must follow any time you are above 3000' AGL.

If you are VFR, and you are
on an east (0-179 magnetic) heading: you fly odd altitudes +500 feet MSL. So 3500, 5500, 9500 as read on your altimeter.
on a west (180-359 magnetic heading: even altitudes + 500 feet MSL, 4500, 6500, 12500.

If you are IFR, you use the same rule but whole thousands. 14,000 going west, 29,000 going east. Altitudes above 10,000' are usually reported as "flight levels" in hundreds of feet -- FL140, FL290.

e2: one other note: Above 18,000 MSL all flight is IFR, and you all set your altimeters to 29.92 (standard) so that everyone's reading the same thing, regardless of what the actual air pressure is. At those altitudes and speeds your exact distance above the ground doesn't matter anywhere near as much as ensuring that the airliner passing 1000 feet below you has an altimeter that matches yours.

None of this really matters in the flight simulator, since no one's going to report you and lol @ pubbies dutifully following the rules, but if you wanna really do it right :spergin: there you have it

The only thing I’d add to this is that RVSM airspace ends at FL410, and vertical separation minima goes to 2000ft. So, FL390 eastbound, FL400 westbound, FL410 eastbound, and then FL430 westbound, FL450 eastbound, FL470 westbound, FL490 eastbound, FL510 westbound, etc, until FL590. FL600 is the top of class A airspace, so you can do whatever the hell you like up there. :v:

That said, if you’re above FL430, you’re above the service ceilings of 95% of the airplanes out there, and you can generally get nearly anything you want.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

kojei posted:

Not super directly relevant to anything being discussed here at the moment but I think the best thing I did in terms of affecting my enjoyment of the game was turn ATC off. Still follow the procedures and whatnot, but no more having ATC demanding I expedite my plane into the side of a mountain or insisting I taxi some donuts into the apron before lining me up at the wrong runway.

I like the simulation aspect of having to change altitude or swap runways because of other planes, but they also will absolutely try to kill you for no reason. Most of when it pisses me off is when the auto copilot requests clearance to land at the wrong runway. I've got a perfect ILS landing and this clown wants me to circle around and drop into the parking lot.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
fwiw if you’re one of those lucky people with a steam controller, it’s tricky to set up, but using the gyro to steer works really well. You’re still stuck with no-axis rudder, but if all you’ve got is a controller...

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

kojei posted:

I canceled IFR yesterday flying an RNAV into Seattle (mostly because I screwed up the FMS) and I figured it would be fine flying an approach as VFR.

I immediately hit thick clouds all the way down and there was a ton of traffic making for the same runway.

Still nailed the landing though.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The full TrackIR 5 bundle is "only" $170, or you can get TrackIR 4 for $50 cheaper. I don't know how much of a downgrade that is. I use this homebrew headtracking setup that you can buy for $75: https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/

It's absolutely clutch with hotas setups.

Alternately, if you have a recent apple device (iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Pro 11", and iPad Pro 12.9"), there's an app called SmoothTrack (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/smoothtrack/id1528839485) on the app store for $4.99. Install that, install opentrack on your computer, configure the settings so they talk to each other (just match up a port number), prop your phone up in front of you, and it uses the camera to determine where you're looking. Works pretty well, in my experience. Being able to peer closely at the screen and have it zoom in on my displays was really neat.

(There might also be android apps that do it, but I have an iphone, so I'm not sure about those.)

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I also just ignore the ATC at times, ever since I crashed trying to comply with a very sudden change of runway.

Looks like FSEconomy is closed to new accounts for a little while, can't really complain since the backlog is due to other fair weather flight simmers just like me. I'm really desperate for some purpose to my flying, though. I might shelve MSFS for the time being, buy a new stick so I can retire my 20 year old one that randomly pulls to the right and come back when I'm set up on FSE. I don't know why but I love the idea of starting near my home and pootling all over the place delivering passengers and unidentified cargo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mailer posted:

I don't even know what the blue knob is for (I see it in other setups) but I totally want a honeycomb yoke and that throttle. Thankfully the fact that I can't get the yoke has allowed my rational brain to take over and keep me from spending $1000 on peripherals for a single game I play for ~45 minutes a day. :v:

No stopping me next year when t.16000 hotas stock comes back, though. At least then I can justify it by saying it's for space games too.

Keep an eye on mypilotstore. They are supposed to get more stock in September, and they sometimes let you order when it's backordered. I ordered my stuff when it was backordered and it said it would ship the 26th, and it did.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Mailer posted:

I like the simulation aspect of having to change altitude or swap runways because of other planes, but they also will absolutely try to kill you for no reason. Most of when it pisses me off is when the auto copilot requests clearance to land at the wrong runway. I've got a perfect ILS landing and this clown wants me to circle around and drop into the parking lot.

I stopped using the autocopilot immediately because of that poo poo. I think the part of ATC that pissed me off the most was the game of hot potato it does with your radio frequencies on certain approaches. Jumping back and forth between two Center frequencies every five seconds over 60nm is not exactly engaging.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

I also just ignore the ATC at times, ever since I crashed trying to comply with a very sudden change of runway.

Looks like FSEconomy is closed to new accounts for a little while, can't really complain since the backlog is due to other fair weather flight simmers just like me. I'm really desperate for some purpose to my flying, though. I might shelve MSFS for the time being, buy a new stick so I can retire my 20 year old one that randomly pulls to the right and come back when I'm set up on FSE. I don't know why but I love the idea of starting near my home and pootling all over the place delivering passengers and unidentified cargo.

Where did you see that FSE was closed to new accounts? Other than DNS issues and a huge backlog (lol manual account creation process) there's quite a delay but I think they're still accepting requests?

Alternately there's the free trial of OnAir

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Someone on Reddit created an Android button box for FS2020. It's perfect for those waiting for a throttle quadrant or the filthy casual like me using a controller.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

dedian posted:

Where did you see that FSE was closed to new accounts? Other than DNS issues and a huge backlog (lol manual account creation process) there's quite a delay but I think they're still accepting requests?

Alternately there's the free trial of OnAir

It was on fseconomy.net, which is down again for me even with OpenDNS.

I'll give OnAir a go for the free trial, I'm not nuts about subscription models over donation ones since I tend to play games for a bit then not touch them for months and months but I guess if I love it I can sign up for six months and get my money's worth.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 1, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Here is a good thing to review/save: https://www.asa2fly.com/Assets/ASAReader/FreeBooks/ASA_PilotReferences.pdf

Not all of it will apply to simming but it will help you understand the rules of flying a lot more.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

Cle Elum and Easton State are lighted, De Vere is not. The *L on Cle Elum means it's lighted part of the time or has pilot-controlled lighting (you click your radio 5 times in a row to turn it on), while a regular L means full-time lights.
God drat, Sagebrush. I think I've learned more from you and some others posting here in the past week than I have from hundreds of hours of flying in sims going back to FS2 on an Apple ][. Thanks for continuing to share your knowledge.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Walton Simons posted:

It was on fseconomy.net, which is down again for me even with OpenDNS.

I'll give OnAir a go for the free trial, I'm not nuts about subscription models over donation ones since I tend to play games for a bit then not touch them for months and months but I guess if I love it I can sign up for six months and get my money's worth.

I am trying the 7 day trial of OnAir right now, it's pretty neat. The UI is nice.

I installed the client at work as well and hired 2 employees so I can send them around to make money when I'm not at home.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Krogort posted:

Anyone playing MSFS 2020 using a xbox one Bluetooth controller?
I keep mine around to use the drone from time to time but if I switch it on while flying (as opposed to beforehand) it seem to freeze the game then crash to desktop.
This is really annoying , I wonder if there are some workaround ?

Plug it in so it never turns off. I bought a super long usb cable for that reason.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
LOL at this disclaimer on SkyVector when you try to file a flight plan:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nvidia GTX 3080 was officially just announced and looks like it might just run this game.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i was on a work call this morning and a new person mentioned the nvidia announcement today, but pronounced it "nuh-vidia" and it shattered my brain for several seconds

i think i'm right that it's "in-vidia" but i guess we'll see!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A decade or so ago video games pretty frequently had an nvidia intro and it was definitely pronounced the second way.

Maybe they're young enough that they never saw one of those.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Romes128 posted:

I'm jealous of the yoke and throttle quadrant people. Despite casually playing flight sims for years, I didn't take controls into account when buying a desk. It has two draws beneath the surface so I can't clamp anything to the desk, it's too thick.

Glad I picked up the T16000m before it became scarce though. Way better than having to play with kbm or controller.

The Honeycomb Yoke actually has a huge sticky pad that you can use to mount it on a desk if the clamp doesn't work for you. My girlfriend does this and it holds really drat tight.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nvidia GTX 3080 was officially just announced and looks like it might just run this game.

Twice the power of the 2080 and $700. Fine. I suppose I'll have to.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sigher posted:

flight sim megathread: My girlfriend does this and it holds really drat tight.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

My trial for OnAir is about over, and I am going to buy a year or two subscription for these reasons:
  • I am very impressed with their development team. Goons have found a number bugs and suboptimal feature implementations which were fixed within a day or two of reporting.
  • The interface, while not perfect, is 1000x better than FSE’s 1997 my first php project.
  • Their airport database was updated for MFS 2020 within a few days of launch, so no more phantom destinations like FSE.
  • Somewhere around 50-100 Goons are flying for our virtual airline at all levels of skill

FSE is run by boomer grandpas who are set in how things are and hostile to change. They won’t invest the time, energy, or money to improve, so your donation only keeps the lights on.

By contrast, OnAir is fresh and modern, and your subscription pays the wages of an active and competent development team.

We have a thread if you’re interested in joining:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3937349

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
If you had a 50k budget- what technology / equipment would you get for the flight simulator of your dreams?

My lab is a mixed reality virtual reality lab....and of course I’m a flight sim enthusiast

But seriously, I’m working on a grant for 50k......

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I really hate VR headsets so I would get one of those giant curved projector screens like the real simulators use.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
For $50k you can probably build a 1:1 simulator for your choice of cockpit or a pretty generalized fantasy cockpit for any platform.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

the milk machine posted:

i was on a work call this morning and a new person mentioned the nvidia announcement today, but pronounced it "nuh-vidia" and it shattered my brain for several seconds

It's en-vidia.

Why the hell do people keep saying nuhvidea? The loving CEO keeps repeating his own brand "the right way", and people still insist on saying it wrong. Like for instance that Blender guy, that loving idiot even had a dumb as gently caress reasoning as to why he keeps doing it. I wonder if I can find it.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Captain Apollo posted:

If you had a 50k budget- what technology / equipment would you get for the flight simulator of your dreams?

Probably this with all the trimmings and enough oomph to run whatever next year's VR release is, or to support screens at all angles https://www.feelthree.com

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Probably this with all the trimmings and enough oomph to run whatever next year's VR release is, or to support screens at all angles https://www.feelthree.com

I misread that as "Feel the Tree"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

big nipples big life posted:

I really hate VR headsets so I would get one of those giant curved projector screens like the real simulators use.

I have a friend that does helicopter sims for sling loaders, so the guys on the ground that signal to the helicopters. They wrap a couple of 27' screens around the operator and simulate a Blackhawk.

This is probably news to nobody, but Area 51 is in. KTVA Homey is Groom Lake's strip.

If you prefer the hard way, Alamo Landing (L92), 259 for 35 miles. You'll need some height to get over Tickaboo peak.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

:siren: ORDERS ARE LIVE FOR THE HONEYCOMB THROTTLE QUADRANT :siren:

https://flyhoneycomb.com/collections/honeycomb-flight-sim-hardware/products/bravo-throttle-quadrant

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hot drat that’s loving tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

the milk machine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rOFlO1YPvo

Its not even a question