Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I found a traveling busker and now Jodie is singing along with him about the Ranger's history. This game is full of charming as hell touches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Finished. I know I missed a few things, but I'll go back and play again. The ending song being someone recounting the main plot decisions you made caught me off guard but it really fits the game. When they nail down some of the multiplayer bugs, it would be cool to see how many things are hidden behind co-op's "do both options in a binary choice" feature.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
so ummm i didnt continued the cartel-monster army quest becaause i was at denver and now everyone is dead at the bazzar. . this game doesnt gently caress around

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
Angela Deth isn't very smart.

Also were is the R&D dept in hq. Radio guy won't shut up about it, I've talked to like every person in the build.

TowerofOil fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 1, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

-Any pets LIKE MAJOR TOM can not be following you any more if you do this so be aware as Goons have said some pets go away back to where you summoned and this means Major Tom would disappear. That cannot happen.

Can't you just get Ground Control to give him a call?

TowerofOil posted:

She can't even spell 'death' how smart were you expecting?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TowerofOil posted:

Also were is the R&D dept in hq. Radio guy won't shut up about it, I've talked to like every person in the build.

They are telling you that when the HQ armory gets a new tier of gear.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
I'm loving this game but yet still annoyed at RN Jesus. How many 95% chance to hit shots can you miss back to back before it just seems silly? It's like playing Fallout X-Com.

Also, my personal take, but stick to the missions until otherwise told. I love exploring, but getting reamed by cannibals and mercs that are killing your peeps in 1-3 shots just gets annoying. Even more so when you are told that if you retreat then all the people you are there to save will die. Crikey, I wouldn't have even attempted it if I knew the baddies all outgunned and out-armored me.

Or just save-scum like crazy. Especially before entering a new zone. If it's too crazy then just bug off and level and get better gear before getting a case of the angries.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So the Strike Rate stat means your Strike meter increases by that % with each attack, right? I haven't really paid attention to it, so correct me if I'm wrong

Base Strike Rate is 6%, at Charisma 1 that's 8%, which means 13 attacks to fully charge up your meter. 2 Charisma means 10% which means 10 attacks, then it lowers by 1 attack per Charisma point until Charisma 7 that gives you 20% Strike Rate for 5 attacks. Then you need go all the way to Charisma 10 to reduce that to 4 attacks. So 7 Charisma may be a good place to stop in general (although I guess you might as well get to 10 Charisma eventually for the EXP bonus)

Sniper Rifles also have an innate Strike Rate bonus that seems to increase with Weapon Level, so the breakpoints may be different there.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kaincypher posted:

I'm loving this game but yet still annoyed at RN Jesus. How many 95% chance to hit shots can you miss back to back before it just seems silly? It's like playing Fallout X-Com.

I will say there are an awful lot of 95% misses but that's probably just confirmation bias on my part

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
inflitrating the aspen compound and getting detected by a loving radio conversation...really?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Defiance Industries, if you beat the game tips on doing a 'rangers take over' playthrough? Is that the one you went for?

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

How do I escape the Gippers compound after stealing the AI? There's way too many of them, I'm stuck in the staircase that leads to the bunker.

(Denver result)I was able to Transfer the AI to my HQ where I'm holding it hostage under threat that it'll be deleted if they start any poo poo with me. The commune AI was furious, but I was able to leave with the kid with no violence.

Zeta Acosta posted:

inflitrating the aspen compound and getting detected by a loving radio conversation...really?

I had the same situation - zerged the conversation and was able to get my sneak poo poo character across - then it was easy to do everyone else afterwards.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Wow keeping with the this game has awesome music stuff, I just cleared out a cannibal camp and during the whole battle it was playing a slow sad cowboy version of "everyone wang chung tonight"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I wish I could figure out what causes the random frame drops when doing a precision strike, it feels so lovely to have the fps tank every time I go to do a cool special move :|

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BULBASAUR posted:

Defiance Industries, if you beat the game tips on doing a 'rangers take over' playthrough? Is that the one you went for?

No, I took the Patriarch route. Gonna try that next.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Evil Canadian posted:

Wow keeping with the this game has awesome music stuff, I just cleared out a cannibal camp and during the whole battle it was playing a slow sad cowboy version of "everyone wang chung tonight"

You know what I think I may have aggroed the hostages aswell I had a bunch of people rush me at the end who I killed real easy :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Evil Canadian posted:

I'm constantly catching myself humming "Are you washed in the blood of the lamb". This game's music really owns.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So the first time I got the La Perla encounter, I just wasted her. But then curiosity got the better of me and I found a minigun in one of the containers. Not only does it do twice as much damage as the Light Squad Weapon(which was already pretty amazing), it has an additional 10% accuracy and uses 7.62mm ammo. Sorry Hailie, but I am picking ol painless over you.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Fought two scorpitrons back to back. Feeling pretty invincible, and I'm not even using end-game gear yet. The hydraulic sledgehammer on a maxed out strength, maxed out melee character does some work, let me tell you.

I wish they didn't carry over the energy weapon debuff from 2. I want an excuse to buy the shiny late-game rifles, but I can't justify it when they all use the same ammo and do less damage that a modded ballistics rifle after the -30%. I haven't seen a proton axe yet, but I'm hoping it'll do enough raw damage that the damage debuff doesn't matter.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Apparently the mortar blast perk in the explosives skill *does not* consume any rocket ammo??? Are there other cool abilities that don't consume ammo?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I have max luck max strength brawler with medical marvel and hes turning into an absolute monster. With max brawling you can get a perk that makes your punches cost 1 AP, so you just punch everyone a million times, build up strike, stun everyone with your strike, and then punch them some more, and all the while im getting crits and extra actions. Also the way lucky actions work with movement is kinda weird. If you use all your AP to move and trigger lucky action, you get all your AP back, so thats fun.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
The hit RNG sometimes really pisses me off. A dude will be standing next to the thing he is aiming at and it will miss. With a shotgun no less.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"

Defiance Industries posted:

Finished. I know I missed a few things, but I'll go back and play again. The ending song being someone recounting the main plot decisions you made caught me off guard but it really fits the game. When they nail down some of the multiplayer bugs, it would be cool to see how many things are hidden behind co-op's "do both options in a binary choice" feature.

Is the multiplayer binary choices in the game? I've been playing with a friend and it looks like one squads decision affects both. You can't even leave the same map without gathering your party!

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

The hit RNG sometimes really pisses me off. A dude will be standing next to the thing he is aiming at and it will miss. With a shotgun no less.

:xcom:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Okay I'm pretty far behind the curve at this point (Level 5) buuuuut.
I hoped and hoped there wouldn't be another loving guilt trip at the beginning of the game but here. we. are. Saving the convoy because murdering slavers > murdering psychopaths

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar

babypolis posted:

I have max luck max strength brawler with medical marvel and hes turning into an absolute monster. With max brawling you can get a perk that makes your punches cost 1 AP, so you just punch everyone a million times, build up strike, stun everyone with your strike, and then punch them some more, and all the while im getting crits and extra actions. Also the way lucky actions work with movement is kinda weird. If you use all your AP to move and trigger lucky action, you get all your AP back, so thats fun.

Yeah brawling and melee are definitely late bloomers. I have a max luck, and 7-8 in strength and speed char. Found a suit of loving power armor and a chain sword and they're hitting people for like 250-300 a swing. 164% bonus melee damage and 37% crit chance. Crit a scar collector on a thundering strike for 2400 dmg.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

On PC if I do the santas workshop quest it always softlocks on a cutscene after I free the "elves"

Unfortunate :smith:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://kotaku.com/wasteland-3-from-the-perspective-of-a-wasteland-newcom-1844909984

quote:

Playing on Wastelander, even with friendly fire off, I’d get wiped half a dozen times per battle, without fail. I’d miss sniper shots pegged at 90-percent chance of victory. Enemies would gang up on my weakest party members and knock them out before I got a chance to give them orders. I never really had a sense of how strong each foe was, how far they could travel, or what they would do. I certainly never grasped why I could only shoot once per turn but my enemies could shoot two or three times (or more). Some enemy soldiers have armor, and it never clicked, for me, why sometimes my bullets had no effect and sometimes pierced through. In one frustrating encounter, a group of pigs strapped with dynamite kept running into my team, killing two or three party members at a time. At every turn, I found myself sorely missing the overwatch feature from Gears Tactics and XCOM.

:what:

All of this stuff is explained in the tutorials, and the penetration of each weapon is right there in the bottom right of the screen at all times when you have it equipped.

He also didn't like the swearing and crude jokes, which I guess is personal preference, but it's bizarre to me to complain about the way the combat works when it's all explained to you, and not particularly complicated anyway.

The inventory stuff I can completely get behind though, it's not sorted well at all and after 15 hours or so mine is crammed with random poo poo and it's a pain to navigate and find that one item you're looking for.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 1, 2020

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

As much as that guy seems like a massive baby I do wish the game had more helpful information to show during battles. As far as I'm aware you can't even check what status effects affecting enemies do.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Bland posted:

As much as that guy seems like a massive baby I do wish the game had more helpful information to show during battles. As far as I'm aware you can't even check what status effects affecting enemies do.

You can, you need to click on the little blue "I" (as in "Information") on the top right of the screen. It's not very clear and it's a pretty bad UI.

In general I like the game (the writing is pretty good, I like the storylines, etc) but I wish the game would handle more like XCOM. I executed the wrong action a few times because the controls were confusing (not that it never happens in XCOM, just... a lot less).

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Not this much though. I played Xcom and I know what they did to get it a bit more "sane". I had a guy behind a wall, three of my guys stacked up behind him so he could move anywhere and still the hit chance was 8%. That is just dumb.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is the game good? I haven't played the first or second one. Will I be lost jumping into the third installment?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The best part about that Kotaku article is complaining about no overwatch mechanic when there’s totally an overwatch mechanic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Should I not try to visit some of these random places out on the overworld before progressing the main plot in Denver? Some of these random encounters seem really hard for the things they're surrounded by.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is the game good? I haven't played the first or second one. Will I be lost jumping into the third installment?

Lol, if you think you'd be able to play even the remake of 1 in 2020. It uses the exact same archaic and insane systems as the Commodore 64 version. For instance it took me forever to figure out how to change my weapon. Obviously you have to start a combat round.
My advice is to either start with 2 or buy the special edition of 3. It comes with a really nice guide to the series. They explain everything from how the earth went to poo poo up til who the major players in 3 are. There's also some revelations about characters that are never mentioned in the games. The kid Bobby, that's buried in Highpool with his dog didn't actually die. He grew up and started his own mercenary group. Yes, that kid became Commander Robert Danforth.

And yes, despite som jank and bugs it's very good.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm so glad I was able to get Wolfe's 2nd Synth head in Denver, I really didn't want to go hostile with my new found robot comrades.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ok now we got a videogame on our hands

A lategame outfit just let me turn my dude into a Gorilla.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

I played a bit of the 2nd and none of the 1st and I am thoroughly enjoying the 3rd. I'm sure there are story beats or callbacks I'm missing but the main plot arc is set in a totally different place from 2 and 1 and there's plenty of understandable character and motivation so far.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

"Race traitors" :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Bardeh posted:

https://kotaku.com/wasteland-3-from-the-perspective-of-a-wasteland-newcom-1844909984

:what:

All of this stuff is explained in the tutorials, and the penetration of each weapon is right there in the bottom right of the screen at all times when you have it equipped.

He also didn't like the swearing and crude jokes, which I guess is personal preference, but it's bizarre to me to complain about the way the combat works when it's all explained to you, and not particularly complicated anyway.

The inventory stuff I can completely get behind though, it's not sorted well at all and after 15 hours or so mine is crammed with random poo poo and it's a pain to navigate and find that one item you're looking for.

There literally is an overwatch ability though, what? Does he not know about ambush, prepare and defend? That would certainly explain why he was getting squad wiped.