Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Everything surrounding Ramsay was dumb as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda hosed up when you think about the fact that Ramsay had a more interesting arc than many of our heroes.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Groovelord Neato posted:

Everything surrounding Ramsay was dumb as poo poo.

remember when Ramsay completely owned Stannis' army with 20 good men because Stannis, a legendary military commander, forgot to post scouts

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

nah I just sort of forgot about that

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

nah I just sort of forgot about that

gameofthrones.txt

seriously though no one in this show knows what a scout is. I watched The Last Kingdom recently and they're always sending scouts out and poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

remember when Ramsay completely owned Stannis' army with 20 good men because Stannis, a legendary military commander, forgot to post scouts

They did Stannis incredibly dirty.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Pattonesque posted:

gameofthrones.txt

seriously though no one in this show knows what a scout is. I watched The Last Kingdom recently and they're always sending scouts out and poo poo

Robb's military reputation hinges entirely on the fact that he understood what scouts were and how pivotal they were to troop deployment and war gaming. In season 1. By mid season 2 (?) the north just doesn't have any scouts that can find a hobbled prisoner and a 7 foot tall woman in plate armor.

It should've tipped us all off to how much D&D pick and choose what rules apply and when to suit their narrative.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

Stannis was backed by the Iron Bank of Braavos and was able to essentially buy an army and all its supplies on credit

Ramsay burned all of his food and horses in like 30 seconds

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

D&D are incurious and didn't want to learn anything about the Medieval world in their show set in a mostly grounded Medieval fantasy world.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

D&D are incurious and didn't want to learn anything about the Medieval world in their show set in a mostly grounded Medieval fantasy world.

it sucks because in The Last Kingdom you usually have opposing armies either both doing smart things and (usually Uhtred's) more clever stratagem winning the day, or you have commanders doing stupid things for explicable, usually emotional reasons (like Cnut charging Uhtred and falling into the hidden pit trap because he thought his sons were dead)

Once they got past GRRM's stuff in the show then the battles usually relied on one side being insanely stupid and only winning by some kind of outside force or hail mary

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Victory or defeat also hinged on “not having armies” and “forgetting about navies”

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Remember when thousands of foreign sell swords took all the horses and peaced out of Stannis camp and noone did anything to stop them or even bothered to wake Stan the man up to tell him. Then just disappeared from existence

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

Remember when thousands of foreign sell swords took all the horses and peaced out of Stannis camp and noone did anything to stop them or even bothered to wake Stan the man up to tell him. Then just disappeared from existence

Best writing I ever saw was that episode where someone walks up and tells Stannis that his resources got burned down off-screen. Then the next scene another person walks up and tells him his wife hanged herself off-screen. Then the next scene another person walks up and tells him that Melisandre peaced-out off-screen.

Reminded me of the Thick of It.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm so curious on what the book outline for Stannis is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

massive spider posted:

The problem with Dany's heel turn was that it didn't make any goddamn sense, not that it wasn't foreshadowed. A bad plot point doesn't become good by virtue of being hinted at beforehand.

Her doing horrible things in the name of the greater good makes sense when the audience ifs given at least enough POV to understand the internal logic of how her conception of the greater good works. But when the bells rang Dany had won, doing a genocide wasn't logical for any reason other than insanity.

Hell even the mad king its established that he was going to burn the city because he was losing.

Also after the fact there's just no acknowledgement from Dany that she murdered a city of people, it's just 'well that's mission accomplished, on to the next conquest!' and everyone else stares aghast.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I am a protector of innocent people :3: My armies literally consist of the downtrodden that I have personally freed

Oh no this friend of mine died because Cersei ordered it to happen

Better kill a city full of innocent people, for no reason at all except I'm upset, and not even give a poo poo afterwards :mad:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Stannis was backed by the Iron Bank of Braavos and was able to essentially buy an army and all its supplies on credit

Ramsay burned all of his food and horses in like 30 seconds

The worst part for me was him making a rousing and emotional speech about Shireen being his daughter and then burning her to death two episodes later (because of the 20 good men bullshit).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stannis was always obviously going to burn his daughter. Could've done with more work to explain why that turned his army against him though.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I have a feeling D&D were those kids who when you were playing pretend battle or whatever on the playground always had forcefields or went “nuh uh, i have invincible armor, which actually kills you instead if you otherwise defeat me” :awesome:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Stannis was always obviously going to burn his daughter. Could've done with more work to explain why that turned his army against him though.

Yeah my problem was the incredibly short time between the speech and the burning and the stupid reason it happened.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
it sucks man because it's not that hard to write a battle scene in which both sides are acting rationally or behaving stupidly for reasons that make sense. They almost did it with the Battle of the Bastards -- Jon does a stupid thing in trying to rescue Rickon, but it's his baby brother so I get it. Sansa bringing in a game-changing force of heavy cavalry without telling her brother is pretty stupid though. Like if Sansa just said "Jon I can get the Knights of the Vale here, but they might not arrive before Ramsay forces a battle" that'd make way more sense.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Pattonesque posted:

it sucks man because it's not that hard to write a battle scene in which both sides are acting rationally or behaving stupidly for reasons that make sense. They almost did it with the Battle of the Bastards -- Jon does a stupid thing in trying to rescue Rickon, but it's his baby brother so I get it. Sansa bringing in a game-changing force of heavy cavalry without telling her brother is pretty stupid though. Like if Sansa just said "Jon I can get the Knights of the Vale here, but they might not arrive before Ramsay forces a battle" that'd make way more sense.

Ah but it's "cooler" if people can imagine Sansa to be Gandalf riding in with the Rohirrim. Callback to lotr, check, cool set piece, check, please give us a, check (and our what if the south won racist slave show)

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I mean I'll also point out that Jon had lost the battle, then Sansa won them the battle, and then everyone crowned Jon for winning the battle.

God the writing got so terrible....

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sky Shadowing posted:

I mean I'll also point out that Jon had lost the battle, then Sansa won them the battle, and then everyone crowned Jon for winning the battle.

God the writing got so terrible....

That happened for the Battle of Winterfell as well, and they actually used it as character motivation showing Dany as an outsider even though she was a hero of the battle herself (kinda). It was juuuuuust about there to make something interesting happen, but fizzled out with the nephew loving becoming the big hurdle instead.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

An insane mind posted:

Ah but it's "cooler" if people can imagine Sansa to be Gandalf riding in with the Rohirrim. Callback to lotr, check, cool set piece, check, please give us a, check (and our what if the south won racist slave show)

Except that Gondor knew that the Rohirrim were on their way, but they didn't know if they would get there before Mordor forces a battle...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah my problem was the incredibly short time between the speech and the burning and the stupid reason it happened.

That's the biggest problem with GoT. It's pretty obvious in what direction the characters will go, but the show spends so little time on getting them there.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Best writing I ever saw was that episode where someone walks up and tells Stannis that his resources got burned down off-screen. Then the next scene another person walks up and tells him his wife hanged herself off-screen. Then the next scene another person walks up and tells him that Melisandre peaced-out off-screen.

Reminded me of the Thick of It.

Yeah they really spent a lot of time making Stannis a serious player that the main story would eventually have to reckon with and then it all crumbled away off-screen(!) and we got two or three forgettable dialogue scenes explaining it. Just terrific stuff.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv5y2Mqf6wA

(The bit where he says 'Game of Thrones')

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The only way to make sense of Dany's heel turn (presumably) from the books if they weren't casting fake Aegon was to have Stannis and Shireen looking triumphant and adored by the populace at the end. Maybe put a strong emphasis on Shireen showing promise as a leader so that there's one female sovereign who doesn't go crazy.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Step one: Borrow enough from the Iron bank to buy an enormous nation-spanning army, under threat of your enemies being funded if you default
Step two: Attack the iron bank with that army
Step three:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Happy Thread posted:

Step one: Borrow enough from the Iron bank to buy an enormous nation-spanning army, under threat of your enemies being funded if you default
Step two: Attack the iron bank with that army
Step three:

Step 1.5 is you meeting a Faceless Man before your army gets anywhere close to being in a position to threaten the bank.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Step 1: Be a faceless man
Step 2: Attack the iron bank, taking all the money that is still to be lended out. Now purchase an army,

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

do you think jon snuh finds happiness beyond the wall?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Hexel posted:

do you think jon snuh finds happiness beyond the wall?

I think he comes back as soon as the Unsullied all die of that butterfly disease in Naath

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I was just thinking about this tv show and I remembered that arya got.it.wet

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Good for her though

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Happy Thread posted:

Step 1: Be a faceless man
Step 2: Attack the iron bank, taking all the money that is still to be lended out. Now purchase an army,

I love how any of these merc armies still have credibility. Take money, leave when it snows. Take money, switch sides to get laid. Take money, die immediately 20 sec into the fight.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I love how any of these merc armies still have credibility. Take money, leave when it snows. Take money, switch sides to get laid. Take money, die immediately 20 sec into the fight.

That's a basically historically accurate depiction of mercenary companies.

The only thing missing is that they all should have tried to extort the Fantasy Pope for legal pardons on their way out the door.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's a basically historically accurate depiction of mercenary companies.

It's really not, those dudes were fanatical about maintaining their contracts, they knew having a trustworthy reputation was central to everything.

The reason they routinely wind is switching sides is because their employers had switched sides, or their employers were in crazy arrears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Bip Roberts posted:

I was just thinking about this tv show and I remembered that arya got.it.wet

The meltdowns online because she got it wet. The meltdowns online because they got Ed Sheeran to play a little role as a surprise for her.