Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Looks like the way you convert to Hellenism is you continually reform heresies that slowly bring it in line with Hellenisms doctrines to reduce the price over the course of several life-times then convert once it's cheap enough. Right now streamers are just screaming that it's impossible when they look at the piety cost.

I appreciate the idea of Ship of Theseusing your nobles and peasants into restoring full on Greco-Roman paganism. "Oh no, Bishop, if you interpret this one passage correctly in the original Greek, it clearly says that we should still be making animal sacrifices to Jupiter God!" Clearly Julian the Apostate's mistake was trying to rush it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I’m getting loving excited

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
2am release for me, not going to be playing tonight.

But I have Friday off this week to make a good start on things!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The strategy games product manager posted this about the release time on Paradox's forum:

quote:

We usually launch our games at 18:00 CET, because that coincides with the start of the work day at Valve. Its just a peace of mind thing to make sure there is support from all partners involved. Recently we've tried other times, but it depends on what the team feels comfortable with.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Dramicus posted:

achtually, he doesn't have a breastplate :goonsay: so your vote is invalid.

You're forgetting the special breastplate under the chainmail!! Gotta make those nips pop.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Me, waking up: "Surely it is out now!"
Me, checking Paradox: "Ohhhh."

Speaking of which, Paradox hasn't sent me Steam keys and now I am antsy.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

this is what the discorb says

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://globaltimekeeper.com/countd...ln=en&cl=3&bg=1

For when you're tired of :f5:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played play any CK game but I really got into HOI4 after bouncing off EU. We'll see how this goes but I'm pretty excited to give it a shot cause I've heard so much praise for CK2.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thank you m'lord/m'lady/m'yeoman

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

I haven't played play any CK game but I really got into HOI4 after bouncing off EU. We'll see how this goes but I'm pretty excited to give it a shot cause I've heard so much praise for CK2.

This will basically be nothing like HoI4, it’s mostly a game about your family and not even about any particular country. Most people like to become King/Queen of a country and lead it, but it’s really about your dynasty’s progress.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Gort posted:

Huh. I can install it on Game Pass right now.

I could if the app didn't think I had content restrictions, as a middle-aged person?

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I am at work until 4 PM local time (7 hours from now) and it is going to be the longest work day of my life. I tried to convince my principal that third graders would love learning about European history through this, but she wasn’t having it.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

To tide you over the next 56 minutes, the CK3 wiki is live.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Jose posted:

Oh well since I'll be away from my PC for a week as of tomorrow at least everyone will have longer to form opinions when I next ask :v:

Play it, Jose, play it immediately. It's great.

I mean I haven't played it yet since it's one hour away still, but I'm hyped enough to recommend you to play it. With me, preferably, one of us can be king and the other, you know, the other thing.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arbite posted:

So is linking the Monarch's Journey stuff done via signing in to a paradox account on the launcher or what?

To probably answer my own question, it looks like that's how the information is stored so it shouldn't be much of a problem even if you're changing PCs.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
the one day i have to go into the office is ck3 day this is some grade a-horse hockey

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

canepazzo posted:

Hm, interesting.
https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Innovations
There are Eras tied to tech, it's pretty interesting/curious how the earlier era, Tribal. has a minimum year of 476. (Which I assume is earliest date it can be reached.)

I wonder if that means they might intend for a DLC to eventually push the start date so early that a 1000-year long game is possible.
(Or maybe it's a date they just picked with no bearing on actual/planned mechanics.)
(Or maybe it's a bone they threw to the developers of the Bronze Age mod, which I heard have been working on modding the game for a while now.)

I do like how there's a bunch of cultural/regional innovations though, seems like a decent way of weaving the cultural exclusive units into the tech tree more seamlessly.

e: Also I guess it confirms something I've seen mentioned offhand before, embarking units onto ships costs gold now. (Since they are buying/building them on-site, instead of you having to maintain a navy perpetually, for the time being.)
Longships have a -75% gold embark cost.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 1, 2020

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Thank you whoever it was that reminded me that the game is on Xbox Game Pass (on PC). I had just pre-ordered the royal edition on GMG and was able to cancel the order/start the refund process.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
So according to the wiki they have a tool for exporting Maya and Photoshop stuff to ck3, for people who know what they are talking about, does that mean noble modders will likely be able to give us new clothes and stuff? Or is that not really part of it?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

SubNat posted:

Hm, interesting.
https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Innovations
There are Eras tied to tech, it's pretty interesting/curious how the earlier era, Tribal. has a minimum year of 476. (Which I assume is earliest date it can be reached.)

I wonder if that means they might intend for a DLC to eventually push the start date so early that a 1000-year long game is possible.
(Or maybe it's a date they just picked with no bearing on actual/planned mechanics.)
(Or maybe it's a bone they threw to the developers of the Bronze Age mod, which I heard have been working on modding the game for a while now.)

I do like how there's a bunch of cultural/regional innovations though, seems like a decent way of weaving the cultural exclusive units into the tech tree more seamlessly.

I believe they said they were getting bugs when it didn’t have a min date so they just came up with one around some event that I can’t remember.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Anno posted:

I believe they said they were getting bugs when it didn’t have a min date so they just came up with one around some event that I can’t remember.

476 would be for the fall of the Roman Empire, I imagine.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 1, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

canepazzo posted:

Sounds suitably significant!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gentleman Baller posted:

So according to the wiki they have a tool for exporting Maya and Photoshop stuff to ck3, for people who know what they are talking about, does that mean noble modders will likely be able to give us new clothes and stuff? Or is that not really part of it?

Yup, but we'll have to wait for someone to either figure out how to load the actual assets into a mod, or have the devs give out an overview.

The discussion around one of the modding dev diaries has confirmed that it'll be possible to import clothing and accessories that way though, yeah.
I'm just waiting to see what limitations it has, and how much scripting is required to accompany simple stuff like clothing. (Or if all you need to do is define what cultures/social classes use an outfit and slap it in.)

e: To clarify, the exporter handled the process of taking a model from maya and making a .mesh the engine can use. But I haven't seen any discussion about the actual scripting part needed to make the game load+use them.
Especially so for the flexes/morphs for people/heads, since that is also an option. Elven or Orcish features that can plug into the genetics system they already have in place.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 1, 2020

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

canepazzo posted:

No no no, the fall of the Roman Empire in 1453 is the end date!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

canepazzo posted:

Oooooh, primogeniture and ultimogeniture both require late medieval innovations!

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
What start date is everyone going for in their first game? I’m less familiar with pre-1066 stuff and didn’t really play the early starts on CK2 but since they’re in from the base game now might try it out. Ireland seems to still be tutorial island either way.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

This will basically be nothing like HoI4, it’s mostly a game about your family and not even about any particular country. Most people like to become King/Queen of a country and lead it, but it’s really about your dynasty’s progress.

Yeah that was my understanding of it and I'm down with that. I like the idea of managing a family and rising up thru the ranks or being murdered.

Is there really any nation building? Can you declare war or invade other nations? Are there even armies?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The pre-1066 stuff tends to be way blobbier and I was never much of a fan.

That said woah at primogeniture requiring late medieval.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

londonmoose posted:

What start date is everyone going for in their first game? I’m less familiar with pre-1066 stuff and didn’t really play the early starts on CK2 but since they’re in from the base game now might try it out. Ireland seems to still be tutorial island either way.

Ireland in 867 is significantly harder because of vikings raids.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Torrannor posted:

Oooooh, primogeniture and ultimogeniture both require late medieval innovations!

no primogeniture before 1200 then, at the earliest. It's going to be tough :v:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, there's going to be a lot more sibling thunderdome than in CK2 where everyone scrabbled out of gavelkind as fast as possible.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

For the last 30 min until launch, Paradox has a pre-launch stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SubNat posted:

For the last 30 min until launch, Paradox has a pre-launch stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

When you go to a fancy dress party and discover you're the only one who has put in maximum effort

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The pre-1066 stuff tends to be way blobbier and I was never much of a fan.

That said woah at primogeniture requiring late medieval.

An immediate thought would be that one would slightly cancel out the other, but I guess that depends on what special laws and succession rules are in place for the usual blob suspects.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I've got my subscription to the game pass thing, I've got two weeks off, I'm hype as hell...

And my new computer that will actually be capable of playing the game won't be here for at least another week :(

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

SubNat posted:

(Excellent explanation of face/clothing modding stuff)

Ahh that makes a lot of sense, thanks. I managed to resist hoping this stuff was possible ever since I saw they were using 3d models for the game but since they have absolutely nailed basically everything else from what I've seen I can't help but be excited at the possibilities.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Supposedly the only real issue as far as blobbing is the Byzantines because they start with Primogeniture. Presumably that's an issue that'll be fixed when they get their DLC with their special government.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Yeah that was my understanding of it and I'm down with that. I like the idea of managing a family and rising up thru the ranks or being murdered.

Is there really any nation building? Can you declare war or invade other nations? Are there even armies?

Yes and yes and yes. It has all of that, but you will see that in the beginning, you will need to get used to the idea of losing territory. Most cultures don't start with the stereotypical hereditary rules of "oldest son gets everything", that's an innovation you need to unlock and it might take a couple centuries.

So in the beginning you might conquer and develop some land and then lose it upon succession, especially if you have multiple sons, as the territory will get divided between them. So at the beginning you should look for some "core" land that you will focus on developing and invest your effort in ensuring that your primary heir gets that land. eventually you will start to unlock technologies that allow you to centralize your power more, and you can look to expanding your "core" land further. It's totally possible to start the game, conquer half of Europe with your first character, and then lose 80% of it when he dies, like Alexander the Great.

Stable kingdoms and Empires only start emerging around the 1100-1200's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

"My crown, it keeps falling!"

Joke or prediction?