Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Dental plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can't wait to send the Tories packing and put Jezza in Number 10.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

so ignoring whether or not its a stupid idea is it actually possible for me to get any money from my pension because that £11.5k would be extremely useful rn

You'd get charged 55% tax on anything you take out

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

TACD posted:

Yea, I feel like I'm the only one of my friends that isn't going out to pubs again and I'm starting to feel like a bit of a paranoid loon

The Covid research app thinks R is significantly over 1 nearly everywhere, and schools and colleges are reopening soon. I went to the dentist because this is probably the safest it'll be for a while, but you could not drag me to a pub.

(Or a gym, but that has always been true.)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just listening to the latest podcast. I feel like I need an 8 hour ASMR video of James reading off the names of Russian Authors over NIИ b-sides.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

peanut- posted:

You'd get charged 55% tax on anything you take out

so jose could take out ~£7.5k and pay the other £4k in tax towards schools and hospitals? it's win-win!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

TACD posted:

Yea, I feel like I'm the only one of my friends that isn't going out to pubs again and I'm starting to feel like a bit of a paranoid loon by refusing every single time somebody asks if I want to go out for a drink.
According to this educational gif I've just seen you can just crack one out 11.5k times instead

No, the diagram clearly shows the cranking producing $. you'd have to crank one out approximately 15,400 times

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Angepain posted:

No, the diagram clearly shows the cranking producing $. you'd have to crank one out approximately 15,400 times
that's quite a strong pound

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just listening to the latest podcast. I feel like I need an 8 hour ASMR video of James reading off the names of Russian Authors over NIИ b-sides.

Glad you’re enjoying it pal!

I make no promises but I would like for Curtis Adams to return at some point

E: also guava, please take me out of the CLP list, I don’t want that coming up at my show trial

Sanitary Naptime fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 1, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Would the last poster to leave the labour party please turn out the lights

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1300334227448385536

Highest standards, shining example of professionalism etc.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Could be talking bollocks but I had a vague idea you don't need a proper driving license to drive in the army? Although something huge like that you'd imagine they might have put some training in place.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

You need a special army driving licence, I once worked for a guy who did the tests, he used to laugh about teargassing people during their tests

Idk if it was true or not but charming guy nonetheless

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

The British army test is as far as I can remember just driving around the base, so I’m hardly surprised tbh

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You'll need the equivalent training courses to HGV to operate something like that on the roads. Which of course doesn't stop HGV drivers from doing stuff like that.

Not sure if the separate BFG Driving Licence is still a thing, but the army used to teach driving to a lot of other public bodies (fire brigades with large vehicles, Defender training for the GPO etc.)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

TACD posted:

Yea, I feel like I'm the only one of my friends that isn't going out to pubs again and I'm starting to feel like a bit of a paranoid loon by refusing every single time somebody asks if I want to go out for a drink.

To be entirely honest right now is probably the lowest amount of cases it's going to be for a long time. Again and again around the world opening schools is the single biggest factor in cases taking back off.

E.g. Spain, red arrow points to school openings and bars/restaurants were about two weeks before that.

The UK has largely stayed at the low-ish amount of cases it has due to people frankly not trusting the government and imposing their own social distancing measures but the eat out scheme has broken down a lot of that resistance and schools reopening will kick it into overdrive.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 1, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No you see he's such a devilish rogue, he's reached 3rd level and can subclass into Arcane Trickster, therefore gaining mage hand as a cantrip, along with the ability to make it invisible and control it as a bonus action. :eng101:

No joke I actually spent a little while after reading that tweet thinking about some kind of cleric that worships the free market and quotes mises articles at people.

Which would basically be indistinguishable from a libertarian and that's the joke, except that the invisible hand is literal because the market god has literal invisible hands.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Shameless bonus plug for the latest pod for the newest thread time!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1300127114352644098?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
My sister and her daughter are terrified about my great niece (aged 4) going back to school this week for all the reasons we've previously mentioned - bubbles, siblings in other bubbles, in other schools, adult school staff and so on (my niece is in the 'vulnerable adult' category).

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Just to post some actual content-content, here's the smug farts emanating from Labour HQ:

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1300849597087191041?s=20

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
responsible opposition, where you agree with everything the government wants to do just as long as they promise to do it carefully

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

No joke I actually spent a little while after reading that tweet thinking about some kind of cleric that worships the free market and quotes mises articles at people.
I will happily admit my current Paladin has sworn an oath of vengeance against capitalists. His backstory is that he comes from a communal mining settlement which was bought out using legal land-fuckery.

Now he wanders the land twatting landlords with his warhammer which has a bust of Marx and Engels on either end. I'm thinking of taking 2 weapon fighting so as to have a sickle in the off-hand.

I love 5th ed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
been ages since we had The Chart so here's a little peek at uk cases

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Oops I missed the second part of the quote which is so much worse ....

https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1300850233811890177?s=20

A focus on patriotism ... Oh God WHY?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Love to eat patriotism 4 dinner.

Love to sleep in a patrioatism.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

2019 showed that a big chunk of the electorate value their emotional needs (ie spite) over their material needs, so he's just windsocking as per usual

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Jose posted:

so ignoring whether or not its a stupid idea is it actually possible for me to get any money from my pension because that £11.5k would be extremely useful rn

For the vast majority of pensions, if you are under 55 the answer is a no.
For those you can it's still a terrible idea due to fees and tax. They will charge you up to 30% commission and then the tax man will hit you for 55% of the rest. If you took out the whole £11.5k you could end up with as little as £3.5k of it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tarnop posted:

2019 showed that a big chunk of the electorate value their emotional needs (ie spite) over their material needs, so he's just windsocking as per usual

I have wondered if the UK public would have been more willing to embrace actions against COVID if they were promoted with racist propaganda painting it as a foreign chinese disease/enemy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's amazing how much money we (the hard working British tax payer :britain:) pay to give these people an identity and other psychological needs but giving someone food or water encourages laziness.

OwlFancier posted:

Love to eat patriotism 4 dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Love to sleep in a patrioatism.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Something I was wondering about this chart:

I can't find anything in Google as everything seems to return stuff on what Imperial College is doing in response to coronavirus now or subsequent research or articles analysing the original research. I'd like to know how they decided on the October up-swing - did they factor in a temporary lockdown then schools opening and Rishi having people eating Nando's for half price?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Make Britain Great again.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mega Comrade posted:

For the vast majority of pensions, if you are under 55 the answer is a no.
For those you can it's still a terrible idea due to fees and tax. They will charge you up to 30% commission and then the tax man will hit you for 55% of the rest. If you took out the whole £11.5k you could end up with as little as £3.5k of it.

You could end up with as little as £0 of it as the companies that offer this "service" are often scammers and will take your cash and gently caress off leaving you with nothing plus the tax bill to pay.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

justcola posted:

Something I was wondering about this chart:

I can't find anything in Google as everything seems to return stuff on what Imperial College is doing in response to coronavirus now or subsequent research or articles analysing the original research. I'd like to know how they decided on the October up-swing - did they factor in a temporary lockdown then schools opening and Rishi having people eating Nando's for half price?

I assume through modelling the spread of other, similar viruses - October's the start of flu season, and also when colds and other winter maladies start to kick in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have to assume that graph assumes no further intervention.

Because still the majority of people haven't been exposed to it, so either you have to keep doing lockdowns (if you don't go the full distance to actually eradicate it the first time) or you let it go absolutely wild and pile the dead in the streets.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

afaik it hasn't been updated since March, which makes the initial lockdown predictions impressive. I assume they've been working on other stuff since, but they're basically saying that there will have to be a second lockdown regardless of schools and Rishi's dishes.

sassassin posted:

Make Great Britain again.
If they gently caress up the Irish border badly enough they will.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very surprised to see the government treat viral outbreaks the way I treat maintaining my car. Which is to say do the bare minimum until it breaks again rather than stumping up front to fix it properly.

Of course I on the other hand would probably do the latter if I had my own money printer.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I saw this cool article floating around on Twitter today.

https://onezero.medium.com/the-privileged-have-entered-their-escape-pods-4706b4893af7

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

The World Transformed is kicking off tonight, through zoom sessions over the month so while it's still really Labour Party focused it seems the sort of thing people might want to tune into for some of the sessions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The womb bit is a bit weird, but the rest makes sense as a particular expression of

quote:

The exemplary figures of evil today are not ordinary consumers who pollute the environment and live in a violent world of disintegrating social links, but those who, while fully engaged in creating conditions for such universal devastation and pollution, buy their way out of their own activity, living in gated communities, eating organic food, taking holidays in wildlife preserves, and so on.

It does make me think about the stuff that I do that hundreds of millions of others couldn't, even if it's not hide in an escape pod level. I still aim to be self sufficient in whiskey and to eliminate 90% of what I recycle within 5 years though.

Completely unrelated, I hoped this was a troll but it seems legit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Given that we're not getting pay rises or bonuses for at least the next couple of years, they're going to have to work really hard to convince me to come back to the office.

Still pondering joining Prospect, but not sure how much use they are if you're not working at a union shop.