Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Those are both succulents, so have good water reserves to tide them over from any root disruption. I'd say just repot them.

Yeah, I separated a bunch of Euphorbia lactea like two or three weeks ago and wasn’t happy with how I had placed a couple of them in one of the pots, so I repositioned them last night before watering. No harm no foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

How soon can I repot a plant after... repotting a plant? I have an aloe and a kalanchoe that I potted in generic compost mix two weeks ago, as succulent soil was OOS in every shop in the area. I managed to get a good mix off of etsy finally, and I know they'd be happier in it.

Just repot them, as others have said. Depending on how much you need to gently caress with the roots (e.g. if you break any) just don't water for a few days after repotting. Waiting longer will just give the plant longer to root in and make it more unpleasant for it, though succulent roots don't tend to grow very fast anyway.

showbiz_liz posted:

Supposing you were a monster who figured special succulent soil wasn't THAT big a deal (eg, me) - if you repot in a different medium, do you need to try to remove every bit of soil from the roots before transplanting? Or can you leave the root ball in soil if the rest of the pot is succulent medium?

Ideally you remove as much as you possibly can without destroying the plant, honestly. If you have substrate that retains far more water than everything around it right up against the plant's roots it's very difficult to tell how long the roots are staying moist. Using something long and thin like a skewer or a metal chopstick can make it a lot easier to get the roots cleaned off without breaking them all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Just repot them, as others have said. Depending on how much you need to gently caress with the roots (e.g. if you break any) just don't water for a few days after repotting. Waiting longer will just give the plant longer to root in and make it more unpleasant for it, though succulent roots don't tend to grow very fast anyway.

Ideally you remove as much as you possibly can without destroying the plant, honestly. If you have substrate that retains far more water than everything around it right up against the plant's roots it's very difficult to tell how long the roots are staying moist. Using something long and thin like a skewer or a metal chopstick can make it a lot easier to get the roots cleaned off without breaking them all.

You can also like briefly sit the root ball in a bowl of water and maybe give it a light shakey shakey and wash all that stuff off. That's how I separated and repotted all of my succulents and cacti and they've all done well.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

A soft wide paintbrush can be helpful dislodging dirt from fine roots but it tends to work better dry.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/aug/31/imagine-using-liquid-water-why-people-water-their-house-plants-with-ice-cubes

They treat this as a joke, but I still wonder if anyone here has a similarly strange trick to avoid overwatering root-rot prone houseplants?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
^^ I will need that info too

Hey guys, I just came back from a 4 day trip and luckily my dwarf still lives. I think the citrus fertilizer that costs more than a good suit (per ounce) is doing its job.

Tomorrow the new pot with drainage holes arrives and I only just thought of this because I'm dumb - do I repot it with the same soil or do I need to go buy a bag of wet black mulchy stuff? Also, how should I physically repot? I own no gardening tools and it just occurred to me I probably shouldn't just grab it by the trunk and yank. Should I go buy a trowel and soil first thing tomorrow?

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

RickRogers posted:

https://amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/aug/31/imagine-using-liquid-water-why-people-water-their-house-plants-with-ice-cubes

They treat this as a joke, but I still wonder if anyone here has a similarly strange trick to avoid overwatering root-rot prone houseplants?
I try to use self-watering planters with those aeration gaps over the resevoir much as I can as someone who has like zero idea wtf I'm doing with normal soil-munching plants and I haven't managed to kill anything yet except a few things in normal pots, so I'd probably try that first. You can DIY them out of existing pots pretty easily. I will say tho, the ice cube trick works really well for plants that are temperature sensitive but like a big drop in temperature overnight, if you're growing them indoors or outside of their normal habitat, or that like a big temperature gap between plant + roots. Ice cubes have saved my darlingtonia more than once when temperatures got into the three digits.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Yay for Facebook plant swap groups. I have an insatiable need for soil and pots, so I posted five of my (many) purple oxalis in a local swap group asking for soil or pots in exchange, and they were all claimed within 45 minutes. Oxalis is so easy to grow and divide that I think I'm going to start deliberately maintaining a larger "crop" of them just for swapping purposes. I will then flood the central Brooklyn plant market to the point where they become worthless as a currency of exchange.

This is how many I currently have (including the ones to give away). I split them two weeks ago, there were only 5 or 6 then.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 31, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

jojoinnit posted:

^^ I will need that info too

Hey guys, I just came back from a 4 day trip and luckily my dwarf still lives. I think the citrus fertilizer that costs more than a good suit (per ounce) is doing its job.

Tomorrow the new pot with drainage holes arrives and I only just thought of this because I'm dumb - do I repot it with the same soil or do I need to go buy a bag of wet black mulchy stuff? Also, how should I physically repot? I own no gardening tools and it just occurred to me I probably shouldn't just grab it by the trunk and yank. Should I go buy a trowel and soil first thing tomorrow?

You'll reuse as much of the soil as is stuck to the root ball, but you will almost certainly need to top up with new soil, especially if the new pot is larger than the old one. You should definitely buy some.

A trowel is helpful for getting soil into the new pot around the root ball, but you can also use your hands. If using your hands, gardening gloves help a lot.

Does your new pot come with a saucer/tray to collect the excess water? That's also something to make sure you have.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

A trowel is helpful for getting soil into the new pot around the root ball, but you can also use your hands.

And if the pot is plastic and is at all flexible, you can give it a couple good hard squeezes first to help loosen the root ball from the sides of the pot.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Thank you kindly both. I don't have gardening gloves but if I'm okay scooping with my hands that's fine. And yes, I specially ordered a saucer for the drainage water.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hi how many small 3’-to-6’ young fruit trees will one 16oz bottle of Bonide Neem Oil Concentrate cover with a single application, approximately?

The label doesn’t say, I can’t find this information online, and I don’t know what the gently caress to type into Google to find this out which pisses me off.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 31, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi how many small 3’-to-6’ young fruit trees will one 16oz bottle of Bonide Neem Oil Concentrate cover with a single application, approximately?

The label doesn’t say, I can’t find this information online, and I don’t know what the gently caress to type into Google to find this out which pisses me off.

When I've used it, I've mixed half a teaspoon (with a few drops of detergent to help it emulsify) in a 500ml spray bottle. It's pretty concentrated.

So 16oz would make up around 180 litres of spray (around 47.5 gallons). I don't know how much you need for one tree, but I could cover some pretty big tomato plants with maybe half a cup or less of spray. So let's say half a cup per tree.

So about 720 trees?

Edit: http://www.gardensafe.com/products/fungicide/neem-oil-extract-concentrate.aspx

quote:

INSECTICIDE/MITICIDE USE
For use on FRUITS, VEGETABLES, HERBS, SPICES, ROSES, HOUSEPLANTS, FLOWERS, TREES and SHRUBS
Application Instructions: Apply Garden Safe Brand Neem Oil Extract Concentrate at first sign of insects/mites. For control of aphids, spider mites, scale, whiteflies, beetles, leafrollers and other insect pests. Garden Safe Brand Neem Oil Extract Concentrate is most effective when applied every 7 to14 days. For heavy insect populations, spray on a 7-day schedule.
Mixing Instructions: Mix Garden Safe Brand Neem Oil Extract Concentrate at the rate of 2 to 4 Tbsp (1 to 2 fl oz) per gallon of water. Thoroughly mix solution and spray all plant surfaces (including undersides of leaves) until completely wet. Frequently mix solution as you spray.

OK, that's more concentrated than I've done before, but you should still get 8-16 gallons of spray out of your 16oz bottle.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 1, 2020

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Some plants can sunburn after neem application so I'd bring them under cover for a day or two if possible. Also fair warning it smells rank, I bought some for my houseplants but can't make myself use it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

jojoinnit posted:

I think the citrus fertilizer that costs more than a good suit (per ounce) is doing its job.

Sorry, that may be my fault. I did not consider that you might live somewhere it’s not readily available.

Citrus don’t have particularly unique nutrient requirements. I imagine the bag you bought will last that tree quite a while, but if you ever need more, general‐purpose fertiliser is fine. Your citrus fertiliser should have a box on the label stating which nutrients it contains and in what quantity. You can use that to compare with a general‐purpose fertiliser that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.

I would mostly reuse the medium that’s in the pot if it feels pretty loose and hasn’t broken down into a fine‐grained soup. Citrus grow fine in common, cheap, woodchip‐based potting mix, but it does decompose and need to be replaced every couple years or so.

showbiz_liz posted:

And if the pot is plastic and is at all flexible, you can give it a couple good hard squeezes first to help loosen the root ball from the sides of the pot.

What I do with plastic pots is ball my hands and clap down on the pot from both sides. Spin the pot, do it again.

subpar anachronism posted:

Some plants can sunburn after neem application so I'd bring them under cover for a day or two if possible. Also fair warning it smells rank, I bought some for my houseplants but can't make myself use it.

It smells like Satan’s coffee.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Sorry, that may be my fault. I did not consider that you might live somewhere it’s not readily available.

Citrus don’t have particularly unique nutrient requirements. I imagine the bag you bought will last that tree quite a while, but if you ever need more, general‐purpose fertiliser is fine. Your citrus fertiliser should have a box on the label stating which nutrients it contains and in what quantity. You can use that to compare with a general‐purpose fertiliser that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
Thank you for the further advice! I'm actually using a powdered mix, not soil. It might be more than what it needs but I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry with this guy.

It was expensive (and very homemade based on how the label feels self-printed) but half of that was shipping since Germany was the closest neighbour to willingly ship this stuff to me. Based on how much I use per mix I think this will last at least a year so I'm not bothered.

Hopefully by this evening I'll be able to post a pic of Dwarfy in her new home, happy and able to drain and grow.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I uh, made a mistake. Am not a smart man. :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tell the tree to dress for the job it wants, not the job it has.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

At least with my non-dwarf lemons they expand to fill a new pot real quick. I've never done that big of a jump, though... you'd have to be even more careful with overwatering it, because the big problem with excess soil is it stays damp for longer

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just moved into a new house and I want to know what kind of trees we have. This is in Austin, TX:

First tree. It has berries of some sort:

Second tree, also has berries:

Third tree with berries. I think this is a cedar or juniper? I know around here people call these cedar and I seem to remember somebody saying they aren't actually cedar.

Curious if any of the berries are toxic to dogs and/or kids. Also, any general tips about taking care of these types of trees I should know. Thanks!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Tell the tree to dress for the job it wants, not the job it has.

Nosre posted:

At least with my non-dwarf lemons they expand to fill a new pot real quick. I've never done that big of a jump, though... you'd have to be even more careful with overwatering it, because the big problem with excess soil is it stays damp for longer

Yeah I've already returned it. Now that I learned a little something about how to measure pots (I was doing outside diameter and height, don't ask) I've learned the current pot is 20cm. Should I order the same size or go to 30cm? Obviously 40cm is a bit much. I'm thinking 25cm feels safe but unfortunately it's sold out so my options for replacement are 20cm or 30cm.

Second question is if I should order the same pot or if I need something with more holes than this:

Annoyingly most pics on Amazon don't show the drainage holes so I'm buying blind.

I uh, apologise that so much of my posts here are essentially "I'm a stupid person, please help".

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

First one kind of looks like a camphor tree or a cherry laurel maybe? Second one is chinaberry maybe? The bark looks right but hard to see the leaves. Third one is a juniper.

E: 1st one might actually be a big overgrown ligustrum/Japanese privet?

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 1, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I did it I got a monstera adansonii, and a big one too

Finally I can die I guess (not yet, I still need a deliciosa, they look rad in person)

Now I think I gotta get one for my mom

I also got a bunch of cheap, bitty croton varietals I didn’t previously have, to go with my big leggy ones, a bunch of small indoor prebonsai, and a small flowering succulent whose name currently escapes me but I think I’ll figure out in short order

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

First one kind of looks like a camphor tree or a cherry laurel maybe? Second one is chinaberry maybe? The bark looks right but hard to see the leaves. Third one is a juniper.

E: 1st one might actually be a big overgrown ligustrum/Japanese privet?

Interesting idea on the privet, could be Ligustrum lucida, only one I could think of that could get to that height. Bark and growth habit (especially those skinny little limbs growing straight out of the main branch) look pretty spot on. If so that’s one Big rear end privet

Agreed on chinaberry, pending better pic

Third tree is Juniperus virginiana, also called Eastern red cedar which is where your name confusion comes from

The privet and the chinaberry fruits are toxic. However, they are also very gross to man and beast alike, and you’d have to eat a bunch to suffer any real impact. Both these trees are downright ubiquitous, and I have never heard of a dog going to town on either one. You’ll have more of a problem with the birds stripping the berries away before they can be enjoyed for their decorative appeal

The cedar berries are edible but also have a strong flavor/scent that usually deter children and dogs, but nbd if they ate them. Very pretty and mature specimens btw

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That does look like glossy privet. It's a nasty invasive weed.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Small branch fell from the first tree you guys think might be a privet so here are much better pics. I'll see about hauling the ladder to the backyard for the 2nd so we can get a better guess. First tree:

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Yeah compare to

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Thanks for the tree identification. Since you mentioned pretty and mature specimens I took some pictures of the oak tree at our old house when I was over there today. It was one of my favorite things about the property, but unfortunately we were renting and the owner wouldn't sell it to us.

You can also see the grove of smaller oaks in the backyard in this one:

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Those are spectacular!

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
Yup, that's a drat fine oak. Worth the house on it's own, I'd say. Pity they wouldn't sell.
Reminds me of parts of suburban Austin, TX. You'll be in the lovely parking lot of a lovely strip mall and erupting out of the pavement next to your car will be a an ancient towering live oak. If you stand below it and squint up at the sky you can travel back in time 75 years and be standing in range land amongst a lone longhorn taking refuge in the shade of a younger, smaller live oak. It's fantastic that developers have kept so many of them, probably because cars congregate under them for some relief from the sun, like the cattle before them.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Live oaks are awesome. It's like adding a whole room to your house. They seem much friendlier to garden under than most trees. Not as thirsty and the shade is higher? Maybe they aren't as allelopathic as many other trees? The leaves are the best mulch.

Here's mine, with friendly neighborhood owl.

From years ago when my yard was a barren wasteland of grass

My neighbor took down the one on the left a year or two ago and it broke my heart, but it did give that side of my yard some more sun and my bigleaf magnolia over there shot up like 15' in 2 years.

I really need to prune out all the watersprouts again this winter. It's lookin pretty shaggy compared to that second pic.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sprue posted:

Yup, that's a drat fine oak. Worth the house on it's own, I'd say. Pity they wouldn't sell.
Reminds me of parts of suburban Austin, TX. You'll be in the lovely parking lot of a lovely strip mall and erupting out of the pavement next to your car will be a an ancient towering live oak. If you stand below it and squint up at the sky you can travel back in time 75 years and be standing in range land amongst a lone longhorn taking refuge in the shade of a younger, smaller live oak. It's fantastic that developers have kept so many of them, probably because cars congregate under them for some relief from the sun, like the cattle before them.

I'm in Austin, but not the suburbs. Part of the reason, at least in the city limits, is you can't cut down trees over a certain size (pretty small if I remember correctly) without approval from the city. It's one of the reasons Austin has so many great trees. The land where that house stands was originally a dairy farm. The original homestead is still in the neighborhood, outhouse and all, and has a lot about triple the size of the rest of the houses. It's great it is still there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oaks have a nasty habit of dropping branches.

I like to visit them. I wouldn’t want to live under one.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Yeah we have a huge willow oak in the back that mercifully just dropped a giant widowmaker down on the shade garden I’ve got beneath it. Somehow missed everything except a lawn chair that I had placed there to help further shade some real wusses. I’m so relieved that it finally came down, as I had basically resigned myself to a brutal and sudden death from above

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

D-Pad posted:

I'm in Austin, but not the suburbs. Part of the reason, at least in the city limits, is you can't cut down trees over a certain size (pretty small if I remember correctly) without approval from the city. It's one of the reasons Austin has so many great trees. The land where that house stands was originally a dairy farm. The original homestead is still in the neighborhood, outhouse and all, and has a lot about triple the size of the rest of the houses. It's great it is still there.

Wow, that's awesome. I didn't know that, but it makes a lot of sense. A tree that old is worth something even to adjoining property, so it makes sense even in economic terms to protect them.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sprue posted:

Wow, that's awesome. I didn't know that, but it makes a lot of sense. A tree that old is worth something even to adjoining property, so it makes sense even in economic terms to protect them.

Anybody got a guess how old it might be? I figured at the minimum 200 years, but probably more. I'm not an expert but oaks grow sooooo slow. Here is the Austin tree ordinance. More cities should do this!

quote:

What size trees are protected?

A protected size tree is determined by measuring the tree trunk at 4.5 feet above the ground. This is commonly known as DBH (diameter at breast height). A tree within the Austin city limits is protected once it reaches 19 inches. Diameter = Circumference / 3.1416 and Circumference = Diameter X 3.1416.

What is the review process for a tree removal permit?

When the development of a residential property contains a protected size tree, the tree review will occur simultaneously with the residential building plan. The tree permit will be created along with the residential building permit.

When a protected tree is not development-related but impacted by utility issues, disease or other conditions, a Tree Ordinance Review Application is required.

https://www.austintexas.gov/faq/what-size-trees-are-protected-are-permits-required

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 4, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

D-Pad posted:

Anybody got a guess how old it might be? I figured at the minimum 200 years, but probably more. I'm not an expert but oaks grow sooooo slow.
It depends a ton on species and conditions. Water oaks can grow stupid fast (I took down a 20" DBH water oak in my yard that was 20 years old) and in good conditions, live oaks can grow fairly quickly as well, especially in good bottomland. Post oaks growing on gnarly rocky outcroppings can be 100 years old and 4" DBH. There are some huge, 80' tall, 3-4' DBH live oaks around here that were planted around plantation houses built in the 1850s, making them ~170yrs old and some others planted in the 1910s when the neighborhood was laid out and you can't tell a huge amount of difference between them. Live oaks can be deceptive because they are to girthy and not tall-they don't look like they are growing 'up' very fast. I'd guess yours are less than 100, but central texas is probably much drier than the gulf coast, so IDK.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

After waiting more than a month for Stark Bros to send me the Bonide neem oil concentrate I ordered back in July, and getting a notification that shipping on it got delayed again by another week, I did some googling and discovered that there’s an Ace Hardware near me that has some in stock RIGHT NOW.

So I just put in an order with them, and it should be ready for pickup later today.

I also went ahead and ordered some liquid copper fungicide, just to be safe.

Now I have a few quick questions:
1. Is there a particular order I should apply the neem oil and copper fungicide in, or does it not matter? Do I need to wait a certain amount of time after applying the first one before I apply the second one?
2. Are Bonide Revitalize Biofungicide or Bonide Infuse Systemic Disease Control any good, and if so, would using either/both of them alongside the neem oil and/or copper fungicide on my fruit trees help at all?
3. Ditto on question(s) #1, but with the Revitalize and Infuse included too, assuming either of them work.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Anybody else having some mature and healthy trees prematurely defoliating? My big rear end black cherry has really left loose, I think this summer has just been one big rear end kick and the plants are calling it a day earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm just hoping all these cedar are just flagging and not completely gone already :smith: