Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Anonymous Robot posted:

Boy, Hypnospace Outlaw is...kinda dull, isn’t it? I know it’s a comedy game and from what I’ve seen it gets pretty funny eventually but I played it for an hour or so last night and unless you count 90’s web design as a joke, there just weren’t any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So far it occupies a weird place where it’s like, showing me things I remember from the 90’s and I’m like, yeah that was goofy, ha ha. But it doesn’t add anything- there isn’t a punchline.

Like, one of the sites is just straight up reviews of fictional albums, and sure, one of the artists is named “chowder man,” but it isn’t really a joke of any kind.

Remember when the Barkley 2 demo dropped and it was all po-faced misery about concentration camps and that was just sorta all there was to it, like that was supposed to be absurd enough to be funny on its own? It’s similar to that.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY8S6mF6evQ

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't find Hypnospace Outlaw to be very funny myself, usually just interesting to explore.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

So far it occupies a weird place where it’s like, showing me things I remember from the 90’s and I’m like, yeah that was goofy, ha ha. But it doesn’t add anything- there isn’t a punchline.

you're just not getting it dude

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anonymous Robot posted:

Like, one of the sites is just straight up reviews of fictional albums, and sure, one of the artists is named “chowder man,” but it isn’t really a joke of any kind.

Remember when the Barkley 2 demo dropped and it was all po-faced misery about concentration camps and that was just sorta all there was to it, like that was supposed to be absurd enough to be funny on its own? It’s similar to that.

If you're not liking a thing you can stop trying to force yourself to.

I am an immense hypocrite for posting that considering some of my video game history but still.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Internet Explorer posted:

I am running into a similar issue with my Shield TV Controller and Steam Link on the Shield TV. Was looking into it as well, but haven't had time to test.

Definitely an issue with the Android base code, I think - just tried the iOS app on my iPad with the same Xbox pad, no issues with Start button at all.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Nvidia has finally unveiled its new GPUs. It's perhaps not super pertinent to the thread, but it looks like a pretty big leap in many areas and their super big 3090 lets you play at 8K 60FPS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's on sale, has anyone tried Genesis Alpha One before? It was supposed to be like a mix of FTL with No Man's Sky, but it was in EA for ages.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i only watched a minute of the thing on twitch but apparently the new 3070 will be $500 and outperform the 2080ti

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Blattdorf posted:

Nvidia has finally unveiled its new GPUs. It's perhaps not super pertinent to the thread, but it looks like a pretty big leap in many areas and their super big 3090 lets you play at 8K 60FPS.

The key takeaway here is the 3070 will offer better than 2080 Ti performance at less than half the price: $499.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

MZ posted:

The key takeaway here is the 3070 will offer better than 2080 Ti performance at less than half the price: $499.

3070 is the new 1070.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

most important thing to know about the new GPU is that CEO Jensen did the presentation in his kitchen and everyone in the GPU thread screamed for him to take the card out of the oven and near the end of the presentation when all hope was lost he loving DID IT.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

Finally working 6 days a week since March is gonna pay off.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/ic-publishing-bundle

The $12 tier looks tempting to me. Fell Seal is a good game, if not somewhat overlong, but if you like SRPGs, it's one of the better ones on Steam. The DLC is pretty good too, especially if you want to do a pokemaster run. How are Deep Sky Derelict and Conglomerate 451 (and I guess the other games in the bundle)?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

The 3080 is a huge jump over the 1080 for real.

Here is the DF look at it

https://youtu.be/cWD01yUQdVA

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

The $12 tier looks tempting to me. Fell Seal is a good game, if not somewhat overlong, but if you like SRPGs, it's one of the better ones on Steam. The DLC is pretty good too, especially if you want to do a pokemaster run. How are Deep Sky Derelict and Conglomerate 451 (and I guess the other games in the bundle)?
Stygian is a steaming pile of poo poo.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RBA Starblade posted:

It's on sale, has anyone tried Genesis Alpha One before? It was supposed to be like a mix of FTL with No Man's Sky, but it was in EA for ages.

I literally just did the tutorial/opening stuff for 21 minutes and it NAILS atmosphere. you're a clone on a ship full of clones and you basically build a modular ship and assign clones to bays as you run around and also do stuff. Scan/explore/tractor beam in stuff/shoot aliens/land on planets for tiny missions to get stuff/etc. I'm digging it a lot but I have only just touched the surface so I can't speak to more than general impressions.

Would play more now but I'm making my dog mad by writing this post instead of taking him out like I should be

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Vlambeer, developers behind Nuclear Throne and Downwell, is dead. And to celebrate (?) they are doing a really good sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/vlambeer10

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

F :(

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm literally just about to upgrade from a 970 to a 1080 as part of a new build. I don't need these temptations. :argh:

Also it'd be neat if they managed to re-implement spears in the Amalur expack.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GrandpaPants posted:

Fell Seal for $12 makes it worth taking a chance on whatever else is in the bundle.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Det_no posted:

Vlambeer, developers behind Nuclear Throne and Downwell, is dead. And to celebrate (?) they are doing a really good sale.

The messages I see on twitter indicate the devs have sad but good feelings about it all, so hopefully they've got it all figured out and this is just a necessary goodbye.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you just want fell seal its $10 on the humble store

Orv
May 4, 2011
My hope, not just because I don't wanna replace half of my basically brand new computer but also, is that devs pick up DLSS implementation or whatever other kinds of that tech come along as a standard, because then the 2000 and 3000 generations of cards will last a very, very long time with how powerful that stuff is.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I'm literally just about to upgrade from a 970 to a 1080 as part of a new build. I don't need these temptations. :argh:

I mean you're probably gonna get your hands on a real cheap 1080 at the very least.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

I mean you're probably gonna get your hands on a real cheap 1080 at the very least.

Tbh I’d be on the lookout for a 2080.

The 1080 is still a good card but it’s a little long in the tooth and DLSS is pretty sweet.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
But then if you wait a year you get the 3070 Super

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Black Griffon posted:

It's been installed in the new machine for the better part of 4 years at this point. (It's a long and stupid story.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

It's been installed in the new machine for the better part of 4 years at this point. (It's a long and stupid story.)

Please do go on.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Orv posted:

Please do go on.

Yeah I’m curious now...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Blattdorf posted:

So big that it needs new psu connectors?

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-series-ampere-gaming-graphics-cards-12-pin-power-connector/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Only the Founders Edition (reference) cards are using that new 12-pin connector, and they will come with an adapter

The cards you get from MSI/ASUS/EVGA/etc all use the same old 8-pin connectors

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The new connectors are not an absolute requirement of the new cards, so there's strong speculation that the new connectors might only be on the Nvidia foundation cards, and 3rd party board vendors are free to use the new connectors or go with the old style.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if the old ones are fine why bother with a new one?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hardware manufacturers delight in watching people struggle for hours to put in tiny little screws and plug in all the little motherboard connectors. It gives them great pleasure.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

exquisite tea posted:

Hardware manufacturers delight in watching people struggle for hours to put in tiny little screws and plug in all the little motherboard connectors. It gives them great pleasure.

Building my new PC while sporting long nails was a massive mistake.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Awesome! posted:

if the old ones are fine why bother with a new one?

Mostly aesthetics. The FE cards have a weird new design where the PCB is shorter than the card, and the second fan blows straight through the card

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1300874778044030977

That means the power connectors need to be in the middle of the card (where the PCB ends) and having 2x or 3x 8pins jutting out there would be ugly as hell

Instead they have a single 12-pin mounted at a 45 degree angle so it can neatly wrap around the card

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Det_no posted:

The writing's been on the wall for a long while now, but I guess the indie revolution is truly dead. Vlambeer's just the latest to pack up and leave.

When the mobile space got too crowded, Steam Greenlight (in the distant year of 2013) became the lifeboat for all important indies of the time because its public curation system ensured anything good was given a fair shake. Then the floodgates were opened and anyone and their uncle could now be on Steam, overcrowding the space 'til nothing relatively unknown can be found these days. The Playstation Vita ecosystem then offered a bit of space to many of the more serious indies since that system had a ridiculous attachment rate among its users in spite of being a commercial flop. Then there was a moment when the Nintendo Switch showed up (2017) and its eShop was so bare while its users were so loose with money that indies started making really good money again, but even that didn't last long because eventually it overflooded and now indies have to resort to tricks like having constant 80% sales to even show up.

There's just not enough room in this hobby for the ridiculous amount of indie games out there. You needed only to get that itch.io BLM bundle with over 1000 games from a couple of months ago to realize there's so much out there that it's impossible for each game to get enough attention and followers. And those 1000+ games are nothing compared to what comes out year after year.

For every runaway success like Shovel Knight, Undertale, Hollow Knight, Nights in the Wood, or FNAF there were a million other games that fell through, many deservedly so, but not all. And it's only got worse with time.

Every week, Fanatical does a new indie bundle full of games nobody ever heard about. Humble Bundle tries to fill their monthly offers with whatever they can find. Those are the "lucky" ones, the ones that get paid fractions of cents for every purchase. Everyone else just fades away.

Sorry for going this long, but this topic has always been personal to me. I grew up during the micro-computer craze in Europe where anyone could be a game developer/publisher. That pretty much died out during the 90's and most of the 00's. 2008/09 and onwards sort of restarted that trend and I liked it a lot. I mean, there will always be indies, but there was a time that Jeff Minter was the exception to the rule, not the standard, and I imagine we are now heading to a time where only the future Minters will bother to remain around -- with all that's good and bad about that.