Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Back in the day none of my friends had the GBA link whatever so I only ever played it solo and I still liked it a lot, it was one of my favorite games. Of course we’re talking about my tastes as a 12-year-old or whatever but I played a few missions of the demo earlier today and still had a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Beat Ultimate Weapon this morning. Easily the hardest fight in the game so far. Died to it a few times before getting the rhythm. Also junxtioned quake so everyone absorbed that attack nicely. Once I got the rhythm I was even able to have everyone draw 100 Ultima. That’s all GF gotten I believe. Have almost all ultimate weapons except Squall, Rinoa, and Quistis. But only missing energy crystals for them all and I read that’s easiest to grind on disc 4 and already have the junk shop ability.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

man nurse posted:

Should I play Crystal Chronicles? I never touched it back in the day and I’m wondering if it’s a decent solo experience for $30

You can get the Lite version for free on the Switch, which lets you play up to the final dungeon.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Beat Ultimate Weapon this morning. Easily the hardest fight in the game so far. Died to it a few times before getting the rhythm. Also junxtioned quake so everyone absorbed that attack nicely. Once I got the rhythm I was even able to have everyone draw 100 Ultima. That’s all GF gotten I believe. Have almost all ultimate weapons except Squall, Rinoa, and Quistis. But only missing energy crystals for them all and I read that’s easiest to grind on disc 4 and already have the junk shop ability.

it's easiest to grind in Esthar just before disc 4 I think. there's a shadowy figure who turns into an elnoyle battle if you talk to him and you can just keep fighting him.

congrats on beating Ultima and getting 100 of the spell, you're close to the end!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the organization XIII fights in KH2 are baller.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

it's easiest to grind in Esthar just before disc 4 I think. there's a shadowy figure who turns into an elnoyle battle if you talk to him and you can just keep fighting him.

congrats on beating Ultima and getting 100 of the spell, you're close to the end!

Yeah that’s the fella I’m after but I thought he only showed up on disc 4 so I’ll google again to be certain. I like that the scaling means I’m not too op after doing optional stuff. I mean I am due to my S tier junctions but would have loved them to keep scaling in future games. Prevents grinding but also means if you wanna go do optional stuff you’re no too op for the story

In Training posted:

Have you done the guitar lad yet?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

theres one like 2/3 of the way through that's probably the best fight in the entire game

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also so glad I’m KH2 Little Mermaid was just a funj musical thing not a real level

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah that's where I got them the first time I played. I think you can play loads of Triple Triad to get enough of the cards too, but that requires patience I no longer possess. Dragon Fangs were always the items I had problems finding.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Also so glad I’m KH2 Little Mermaid was just a funj musical thing not a real level

Well then you'll like the KH game coming out to the Switch since it'll be just that as a game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah that’s the fella I’m after but I thought he only showed up on disc 4 so I’ll google again to be certain. I like that the scaling means I’m not too op after doing optional stuff. I mean I am due to my S tier junctions but would have loved them to keep scaling in future games. Prevents grinding but also means if you wanna go do optional stuff you’re no too op for the story

Have you done the guitar lad yet?

Just did it last night, the 2nd/real battle, it was cool. Hell that whole invasion set piece was neat

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Org fights are sick as hell

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jason Sextro posted:

Yeah that's where I got them the first time I played. I think you can play loads of Triple Triad to get enough of the cards too, but that requires patience I no longer possess. Dragon Fangs were always the items I had problems finding.

it's 10 elnoyle cards per energy crystal, so it would be something like 60 of them and they're not common cards. sometimes if you play a lot of TT for other reasons, you can end up with like 20 to cut yourself 1 or 2 battles, though

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jason Sextro posted:

it's 10 elnoyle cards per energy crystal, so it would be something like 60 of them and they're not common cards. sometimes if you play a lot of TT for other reasons, you can end up with like 20 to cut yourself 1 or 2 battles, though

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jason Sextro posted:

e: ah, beaten

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

In Training posted:

Just did it last night, the 2nd/real battle, it was cool. Hell that whole invasion set piece was neat

I can kinda see that being a reason why 8 got a lot of backlash, they started out strong with the invasion set piece and turned into...whatever else that game was, even though it's still my favourite. That likely rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah I wanna say there were a few players around Balamb that tended to have more of them than others but I might be remembering incorrectly, haven't played the game in a while. The Elnoyle is your best bet overall unless you really like Triple Triad.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Training posted:

Committing war crimes due to the death of my brother in arms Goofy

The Marlboro Tentacles and Dragon fangs weren't bad because each of the dropped 10 of each once I had a single encounter with the monster which was enough for them all. Only mad I missed opening a door as Laguna in his second dream so I can't get the power generator to easily get the pulse ammo. So just gonna do that Elnoyle fight.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna play XV after this for the first time

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

XV owns but you can feel how unfinished it is almost immediately

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

XV is a great game but it's so bizarrely put together. I love it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's The Phantom Pain of Final Fantasies. Unfinished af and takes a different approach to the established norms of the series? and is somehow still rad as gently caress?

man I should replay XV. is comrades still available I sank so much goddamn time into the massive loading screens of that mode

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Have all the ultimate weapons and summons so gonna go finish the game I think. Haven't done some stuff like Obel Lake or Shumi village but the rewards don't seem worth it. My brain is broken from X where getting the ultimate weapons was agonising.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Have all the ultimate weapons and summons so gonna go finish the game I think. Haven't done some stuff like Obel Lake or Shumi village but the rewards don't seem worth it. My brain is broken from X where getting the ultimate weapons was agonising.

the Shumi Village sidequest is mainly good for story background, they have a rechargeable Ultima draw point (for money) but the 100-level monster islands have a lot of that too

so it's probably not worth it, but ymmv

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cool I'll drop a save file and do it later if I can't do it on disc 4. But been doing non story stuff for. while so wanna continue and it's nearly over I think.

Also lol that Zquall got 0 benefit from Lion Heart due to already having 255 in Hit and Str already

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Gonna play XV after this for the first time

Enjoy. I want to go back and play it now that all the dlc is out

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Enjoy. I want to go back and play it now that all the dlc is out
in fairness, half the DLC never came out lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Cool I'll drop a save file and do it later if I can't do it on disc 4. But been doing non story stuff for. while so wanna continue and it's nearly over I think.

Also lol that Zquall got 0 benefit from Lion Heart due to already having 255 in Hit and Str already

actually it unlocks his ultimate LB thats insanely strong and will do like 15k damage in a go

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

XV rules. I'm glad I didn't play it at launch because so much of its initial design sounded actively not fun, but I didn't play it til royal edition came out and it's a top 5 Final Fantasy, to me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

esperterra posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's The Phantom Pain of Final Fantasies. Unfinished af and takes a different approach to the established norms of the series? and is somehow still rad as gently caress?

man I should replay XV. is comrades still available I sank so much goddamn time into the massive loading screens of that mode

I think 15 is more successful in doing what it set out to than Phantom Pain, especially after all the updates and DLC. It’s a great game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
wouldnt want to play a 15 where i dont hop in place every time i try to press X at a prompt

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Watching the anime show atm, do I watch the movie or the game then?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

before or during would be good, i watched it while i was still in chapter 7 of the story

they took some of the things that happen during it and made them cutscenes in the game, but still, its worth watching

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cool I go with before then. I heard it is basically what is happening with other characters during the lads roadtrip so didn't want it to have like major spoilers but it sounds like it only covers the early going?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

yea the end of the movie is like chapter 2 or 3 of the game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

e: ah, beaten

what the-?!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think 15 is more successful in doing what it set out to than Phantom Pain, especially after all the updates and DLC. It’s a great game

i like the camping sim aspects of 15, but i never really got interested in the story, and once the game gets on rails toward the end, the whole thing felt kind of needlessly depressing for what kind of fantasy it was. i really enjoyed playing it, but i don't think i'd ever go back to it.

also the flying car sucks and i was so mad that it's basically just useful to get to that one dungeon, lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

also the flying car sucks and i was so mad that it's basically just useful to get to that one dungeon, lol

I crashed it and game over'd like 5 times trying to land on that little strip to get to said dungeon. And the dungeon is a weird platformer and it took me like 3+ hours to puzzle it out. Still, good game.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I kind of liked how weird and downer the story gets by the end. It has the same energy as a really epic prog rock album. Also obviously they were gonna have a happy ending in the dlc but rip

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Although it was funny how the end game was balanced around you only being level 35 or something so everything was insanely trivial if you did any side content at all, which I did a lot of

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

I kind of liked how weird and downer the story gets by the end. It has the same energy as a really epic prog rock album. Also obviously they were gonna have a happy ending in the dlc but rip

they made the cut dlcs into a book lol https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XV-Dawn-Future/dp/1646090004
i aint read it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah I read the summary and it's basically exactly what you would expect, I don't care about the actual plot of it I just wanted to see it in action/play it lol