Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:yeah: I’m kinda torn as to which one I’ll end up getting. I think it’s going to come down to which one I can pre-order/buy first because I’m already 100% convinced these are going to immediately sell out and it’ll be hell to buy one if I don’t open palm slam the buy button on the first one I have a chance to.

This is gonna be tough honestly. I'm assuming all the AIB cards go live at the same time NVIDIA does. I want an EVGA card, but I might just be F5'ing tabs and getting whichever one enters my cart first. I hate limited stock stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Looks like the 3070 won't come with an AIO from EVGA, so I guess I'll be looking to try and get a 3080.

It's fine, I didn't want to have money anyway. :colbert:

I'll need a new monitor eventually, but that'll have to be down the road a bit.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mr. Neutron posted:

What's going to happen with the stocks of suddenly hopelessly overpriced 2080s everywhere?

I hope nvidia has a landfill ready to go for the 20 series cards

and an emotional support hotline for their owners, for that matter.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Start a rumor that the 20 series cards are still the best miners around / better miners than the 30 series

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Might end up being forced to buy a 3090 just because the 3080 will all be sold out as soon as the button is available.

My decision flowchart is like this:

3080 AIB or Founders Edition

If AIB I'll buy EVGA for customer service

EVGA FTW or AIO Hybrid?

There is ZERO information on how each of these perform (and sound) and waiting for that information could very well leave me waiting until January for a new card.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Give it until December at least :ssh:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I hope nvidia has a landfill ready to go for the 20 series cards

and an emotional support hotline for their owners, for that matter.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
maybe i will get an FE

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1300874778044030977

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
so re: me making GBS threads on VESA and saying that they let DisplayPort 2.0 get way too far behind schedule... guess what isn't in Ampere, and what is from their competitor.

DP 2.0 will have to wait until minimum 2021 if not 2022 before there's any hardware to drive it. It's DOA.

HDMI 2.1 wins this generation and probably the next generation as well unless they like, drop everything and put out a DP 2.1 standard super fast to catch up.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

That top exhaust makes me question my decision to cool my 3700X with a U14S. But then again at 75TDP maybe this wont be the problem I think it is.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Kraftwerk posted:

That top exhaust makes me question my decision to cool my 3700X with a U14S. But then again at 75TDP maybe this wont be the problem I think it is.

It's not like GPUs weren't blowing hot air up to the CPU before.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Hell yeah I have one of those 90° rotated cases and didn't know it worked like that, I went from blower to 3 fan and now I can have it both ways!

(Buys it and the heat pipe orientation causes issues)

It'll blow towards my cpu some, but that fan (noctua d-15) should shoot it up and away.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 1, 2020

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

What the hell, they have five different 3090s?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

haven't had a close look at a 3xxx PCB, but, I guess there's nothing in the middle that needs spot airflow for cooling? thermal conductivity doing a lot of work for the middle of the heat plate in that design

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The airflow design of the FEs has made me get an AIO finally for my build.

Thanks EKWB for your sick looking 24AIO

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

https://rog.asus.com/articles/gaming-graphics-cards/introducing-geforce-rtx-3070-rtx-3080-rtx-3090-rog-asus/

The Asus cards seem really lacking in design than normal??

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Digital Foundry written article, they have a 3080 already as previously mentioned;

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-hands-on-with-nvidia-rtx-3080

So these review terms suck, but the good news is that for some sort of indicator, there are 4K benchmarks for these games with the RTX 2080 (although the rigs are different so there will be some variation):

Borderlands 3 - +81.6% - 87fps vs. 157.9fps
Doom Eternal - +84.2% - 105.8fps vs. 194.8fps
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - +69.8% - 60.3fps vs. 102.3fps
Control - +77.6% - 35.6fps vs. 63.2fps
Quake 2 RTX - +92.3% - 30.7fps vs. 59fps
Control RTX - +77.6% - sorry couldn't find this with a quick Google :(

This is pretty incredible stuff for 4k gaming on the 3080 compared to the 2080. I can't wait for the 3090 personally.

space marine todd fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 1, 2020

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m still running a 3570k and 970 because my gaming consists of Diablo 3 at 1440p 60Hz. Am I stupid for considering the 3080 to pair with a new 27” 1440p 144hz monitor? I probably won’t upgrade until next gen Ryzen comes out so I’ll probably try to snag some holiday deals but not finish the build until January.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The DF numbers may be underselling things a bit. The test system is a 10900k which is already slower than a 3950x in a lot of the newest games, and that's before you move to a PCE 4.0 GPU. It's still probably not quite double 2080 performance, but it's a pretty incredible generational leap. The 1080Ti was the last really big 2 year leap, and that was a ~80% performance jump in the most extreme situations (like 4K Doom) but the 1080Ti was also $50 more than the 980Ti. That and the relative proximity to the 3090 and the large gap from the 3070 make the 3080 look like one of those cards that people who buy it are unlikely to regret.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I don't think anyone has ever been owned so hard in history than 2080ti buyers.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Feelin' pretty :smug: and also rather :smith: about getting an FTW3 2080 for ~$750 instead of going for a 2080Ti. It'll probably end up as the GPU in my parents' system so my father can play the new Flight Simulator...and Pinball FX3. So much Pinball FX3.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 1, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m still running a 3570k and 970 because my gaming consists of Diablo 3 at 1440p 60Hz. Am I stupid for considering the 3080 to pair with a new 27” 1440p 144hz monitor? I probably won’t upgrade until next gen Ryzen comes out so I’ll probably try to snag some holiday deals but not finish the build until January.

If you're only playing D3, your 970 by itself can probably run it at 100+ FPS. A 3080 is ridiculous overkill for that, and will be severely limited in modern games by a 3570K. Probably better to wait until you're ready to upgrade everything.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

all republics... must fall

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm, I kind of want an FE, because they look cool. But some of the AIBs seem to have two HDMIs, both 2.1 I presume, which I guess is better future proofing.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't think anyone has ever been owned so hard in history than 2080ti buyers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_FX_series

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Please don't benchmark Dragula

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I've been so starved for good news this year but this is great. I'm REALLY glad I held off on upgrading from my 1080; these preorders need to open soon.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inept posted:

If you're only playing D3, your 970 by itself can probably run it at 100+ FPS. A 3080 is ridiculous overkill for that, and will be severely limited in modern games by a 3570K. Probably better to wait until you're ready to upgrade everything.
Yeah I wouldn’t get a 3080 by itself but I’m planning to build a new PC once the new Ryzen comes out. In theory I would play more AAA games with a new system, but who knows, especially if I also get a console. Still, if a 3080 is only $200 more than a 3070, that seems like a no brainer when I’m looking at a $1500 total system budget and a system that will last me upwards of 7 years. My 3570k was built in May 2012 and only got a RAM upgrade and 970 in 2014.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 1, 2020

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you really want it, have at. Given your time frame, I'd at least wait for reviews though.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Going from a trillion DP ports to one HDMI 2.1 on (most) 3080s is a bummer, especially since the VirtualLink port can't be repurposed. What manufacturers have two HDMI 2.1 ports at this point?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Josh Lyman posted:

Wait some people only play D3? That's like Cookie Clicker: RPG-Lite Edition, like you're one layer of abstraction removed from a rat hitting a button for food for 8 years.

No personal offense intended. You could make that argument about a lot of games (to some degree) but Diablo 3 was the one game where after playing it through a couple of times, I realized I was literally just like, doing nothing. Just getting successively smaller dopamine hits for clicking something that is only marginally more interesting or multi-faceted than running through a bunny maze or peeling a banana 1000 times.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Diablo 3, to this day, remains the only good game to ever exist.

But now that’s available on the Switch? It’ll continue to be the best good game.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
One thing I don't quite get, if Nvidia went all out in a totally different board design and fan arrangement for their own cards why's it no problem for every AIB to be chucking a regular triple fan on it?

If it's a marketing gimmick it would be a very expensive one.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

What manufacturers have two HDMI 2.1 ports at this point?

All of the ASUS 3070/3080/3090 models (both TUF and STRIX) have 2x HDMI 2.1 and 3x DP 1.4 according to https://videocardz.com/press-release/asus-announces-geforce-rtx-30-series

Most other AIBs are going with the standard 1xHDMI 3xDP it seems

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Taima posted:

Wait some people only play D3? That's like Cookie Clicker: RPG-Lite Edition, like you're one layer of abstraction removed from a rat hitting a button for food for 8 years.

hell yeah dude

It's great for listening to podcasts.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Carecat posted:

One thing I don't quite get, if Nvidia went all out in a totally different board design and fan arrangement for their own cards why's it no problem for every AIB to be chucking a regular triple fan on it?

If it's a marketing gimmick it would be a very expensive one.

Yeah not sure exactly, but it does look like they're all doing the flow through design but all the AIBs are adding RGBS!!!111

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Diablo 3 is insanely good, sorry haters.

Also despite being made 8 years ago for toasters some parts can still slow your system down for no apparent reason, guild hideout omg.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Jeff Fatwood posted:

hell yeah dude

It's great for listening to podcasts.

And/or half-watching TV shows. D3, along with Path of Exile, rule for this. And I can't wait to barely hit 10% of GPU usage playing them (D3 at least) on my 3090 :evil:

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1300874760553889795

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

Diablo 3 is insanely good, sorry haters.

Also despite being made 8 years ago for toasters some parts can still slow your system down for no apparent reason, guild hideout omg.

But drat that was a rough two years until they removed the auction house.