Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Now that Bowsette is officially over, where will you be sending your horny energy?
This poll is closed.
Melinda Rust (née Megamelons) 13 5.86%
Twitch streamers 9 4.05%
VTube animes 27 12.16%
Any of the other –ette monstrosities 10 4.50%
[Lie] I don’t get horny. 54 24.32%
Other (Bowsette) 93 41.89%
Now that I'm an IK, I can make my own option 13 5.86%
David Crossup 1 0.45%
Bob PSPGodenkirk 2 0.90%
Total: 222 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Animal Crossing state lines to antagonize protesters and shoot them in "self defense."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I gotta be honest, the idea of infinite Halo is very appealing to me.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gripweed posted:

You can have infinite Halo right now, friend. You need never stop playing the other seven games.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

stev posted:

You can have infinite Halo right now, friend. You need never stop playing the other seven games.

That's finite Halo. You beat the games and you're done.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

an infinite halo is just a Moebius strip

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ugh
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1300796205518249984

Kojima had the books on his desk in one tweet, I assume whatever KojiPro makes from that will be way better than this

That book wasnt very good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gripweed posted:

That's finite Halo. You beat the games and you're done.

so you want radiant halo?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I saw a Covenant Elite the other day.

Awful creatures, I avoid them whenever I can.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kids at my French school (and me tbh) pronounced it “hah-lo” for a long time

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rinkles posted:

so you want radiant halo?

Honestly the ideal would be fractal Halo

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
david foster master chief's infinite halo

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
enjoying watching this pull the ripcord hashtag, in which Wow Dev says that they could just make the upcoming expansion systems more fun and approachable at any point, and despite people encouraging them to do so they definitely will not do it

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Any time anyone mispronounces any word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuxsExbsh_8

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The GTX 3080 sounds really impressive, but then they squandered all of their claims by showing off games that are 1 - 2+ years old. I want to see performance on Cyberpunk 2077, and other next-generation games.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They're not gonna showcase performance benchmarks on CP2077 because 1) nobody owns the game yet, making any relative comparisons useless, and 2) if anything I've read about game development is true, it'll probably be a barely functional mess until moments before release.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

many triple a games are barely functional messes on release

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'll buy a 3080 if my 2060 starts chugging too much, I only play at 1080p nowadays so I'm probably set until the 4000s, I'll buy a fancy monitor or TV in the meantime I guess.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was interested in checking out the install folders for a Gamepass game and Windows told me I didn't have access to the folder, even as admin of my own PC...?

Yeah Microsoft has been increasingly lovely about this

I get that for some people that's actually a good thing but you should really be able to just like enter a cheat code somewhere and let you control your own loving computer.

I was actually ecstatic the other day when I saw that they finally relented, and no longer FORCE you to choose "shut down & update" or "restart & update" when an update is ready. You now can still choose "restart" if you're in the middle of something and put the update off later, like you could in the good old days. (I understand putting off updates is bad but I'll get to it literally later tonight, I'm doing work right now, etc.)

Permissions in win10 can be so hosed, even when you do the things you're supposed to do to take ownership it doesn't work half the time

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ugh
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1300796205518249984

Kojima had the books on his desk in one tweet, I assume whatever KojiPro makes from that will be way better than this

If you told me that was Destiny concept art I wouldn't doubt it for a second.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hatty posted:

I'll buy a 3080 if my 2060 starts chugging too much, I only play at 1080p nowadays so I'm probably set until the 4000s, I'll buy a fancy monitor or TV in the meantime I guess.

Yeah this is the situation I am in, Flight Sim struggles a little bit on my 2070, but otherwise everything plays at high settings, 144fps, at 1080p/144hz on my monitor/PC. No reason to upgrade if we can't even see what the card will do with future games. Nvidia's claims are all based on last-gen games, none of which really push gaming hardware at all. They are only allowing content creators like Digital Foundry to play very specific not really hardware intensive games with the card for first impressions on their channels.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 1, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

exquisite tea posted:

They're not gonna showcase performance benchmarks on CP2077 because 1) nobody owns the game yet, making any relative comparisons useless, and 2) if anything I've read about game development is true, it'll probably be a barely functional mess until moments before release.
There's also a sizeable history of betas being leaked through such benchmarks.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

I'm considering a 3080 since I'm on a 1080 (not Ti) and it's starting to fritz a little. I have to downclock it from stock speeds to get it stable, and even then occasionally I'll get 3-4 random messed up frames, gaming or not. If Cyberpunk 2077 does well on a 1080 at 1440p/144Hz, then maybe I'll keep it around. If not, I'll eat the $600.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

Give me all the Animal Crossing politics over the solid three weeks of Trump ads that Youtube wouldn't even let you opt out of.

use an ad blocker why wouod you not be blocking ads

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gripweed posted:

its 343 so the infinite halo will be extremely limited and then canned 2 years later half finished

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
bunch of gpu high rollers itt

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

They are only allowing content creators like Digital Foundry to play very specific not really hardware intensive games with the card for first impressions on their channels.

wasnt one of the games control??

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Stux posted:

wasnt one of the games control??

Its a year old single player game with only basic RTX as a next-gen feature, no one is going to go back to it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Control has probably the most extensive RTX implementation in any modern game to date, it's super hardware intensive.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Its a year old single player game with only basic RTX as a next-gen feature, no one is going to go back to it.

in what world is control not hardware intensive

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Control has probably the most extensive RTX implementation in any modern game to date, it's super hardware intensive.

Nah Metro beats everything else so far by a loving mile

Control just does reflections and SSAO shadows, its not even close to Metro doing full Global Illumination Ray Tracing

That's the holy grail and Metro already nailed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms7d-3Dprio

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

so what, crysis was a garbage game no one enjoyed, it was still a relevant bench for a longtime due to its demanding requirements. control with its full rtx options enabled is a very hardware intensive game especially pushing up to 4k

its hard to think of a more relevant game to use to benchmark new hardware right now

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My current video card is hovering above the single-digit FPS in that benchmark....

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah Metro beats everything else so far by a loving mile

Control just does reflections and SSAO shadows, its not even close to Metro doing full Global Illumination Ray Tracing

That's the holy grail and Metro already nailed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms7d-3Dprio

Control does ray-traced global illumination, shadows, reflections, particle effects. It's all there in the settings. The implementation is far more robust and comprehensive than Metro Exodus, this is pretty much inarguable.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
man im still out here on a 750 ti running tons of poo poo fine

is the killing floor humble good? how bout the 1c one they just dropped

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

Control does ray-traced global illumination, shadows, reflections, particle effects. It's all there in the settings. The implementation is far more robust and comprehensive than Metro Exodus, this is pretty much inarguable.

When Zaphod posts, nothing is inarguable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Those settings do not say global illumination, do they? That's the big thing and they don't do it. They're doing diffuse and shadows and reflections, those are all smaller things. They're still doing raster GI.

Am I crazy or are you seeing "global illumination" in that picture? I don't...

Dewgy posted:

When Zaphod posts, nothing is inarguable.

Rude.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Control does a hybrid implementation of GI where some is prebaked and the rest falls under "indirect diffuse lighting." Again, this is much more comprehensive than the suite of options offered by Metro Exodus.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Stux posted:

use an ad blocker why wouod you not be blocking ads

i cant do this on my phone

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Control does a hybrid implementation of GI where some is prebaked and the rest falls under "indirect diffuse lighting." Again, this is much more comprehensive than the suite of options offered by Metro Exodus.

I don't think that's correct.

quote:

Summary
We’ve now covered all of the terms needed to understand what the RTX GI technique provides:

Dynamic – Everything can change at runtime: camera position, emitters, geometry, and even materials.
Diffuse – The last reflection into the camera is from the diffuse part of the material. The GI paths up to the last reflection can be both glossy and diffuse. The glossy part of the last reflection is handled separately with glossy ray tracing or screen-space ray tracing.
Global Illumination – Light that has reflected off at least two surfaces for reaching the camera, and up to infinite reflections within texture map precision.

Control only has that second part. Metro has the 3rd.

https://developer.nvidia.com/blog/rtx-global-illumination-part-i/

I haven't seen any examples of Control showing off the effects of ray-traced GI, which you'd think they would if they'd done it. Metro has that video demonstrating it clearly doing amazing lighting things in real-time. Control's RTX demo just shows fancy SSAO.

Here's control's video to compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kic-QDmS_Yw

Maybe they just didn't bother demoing it, but... IDK. Metro looks better to me. Control just feels more like what Battlefield did.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sure, but I ain’t wrong. :v: