Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shallan can't even do illusions, she just squirms the flesh on her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Shallan is actually a Kandra, you heard it here first.

I feel like there’s gotta be at least one on Roshar by now. Too much going on that Sazed would want to be in the loop about.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Shallan is actually a Kandra, you heard it here first.

While this wouldn't make her any better it'd be hard to make her any worse.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

While this wouldn't make her any better it'd be hard to make her any worse.

I don’t really get the hate for her (though it’s been awhile since I re-read WoK and WoR). I’m just hoping we get a Sanderson style huge pay off to her weird adventures.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I hope the stuff in this latest chapter gets resolved in short order.

Kaladin is Big Sad, Shallan is a Russian nesting doll of past trauma and secrets. Spending the whole book on them could be redundant with book 1.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Do we have a WoB on if Kandra can bond a spren? or for example use forgery or Sel runes or share and use breath? You know, use investiture. They're sentient but artificial, but they kinda have a spiritual part, so it seems not impossible.

if not that will be my personalization question for this hardback release.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

Kaladin is Big Sad, Shallan is a Russian nesting doll of past trauma and secrets. Spending the whole book on them could be redundant with book 1.

i get the feeling we're speedrunning this current depressive crisis, since literally everyone around him is aware of it and already recognizes it's a big problem this early in the book

the shallan stuff i really dunno, although obviously it's a setup for her to level up via Truth

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

eke out posted:

i get the feeling we're speedrunning this current depressive crisis, since literally everyone around him is aware of it and already recognizes it's a big problem this early in the book

the shallan stuff i really dunno, although obviously it's a setup for her to level up via Truth

I agree, the downside of reading early chapter releases is the wait to move past a double whammy chapter of depression and secret personas.

I don’t think Shallan is a kandra, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s an off world girl placed on Roshar by the ghostbloods

mewse
May 2, 2006

HidaO-Win posted:

How well does someone with S.A.D. and depression combo with someone who at her best qualifies as arrogant and emotionally distant?

Only the best relationships. The greatest

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I don’t think Shallan is a kandra, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s an off world girl placed on Roshar by the ghostbloods

That was my thought, too!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I agree, the downside of reading early chapter releases is the wait to move past a double whammy chapter of depression and secret personas.

would potentially create a lot of extremely interesting cross-world magic possibilities

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I mean we've seen beings made out of Cremlings where each individual cremling is shown to have certain purposes much like creating separate personalities for various purposes.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think there's a WOB about kandra stuff 99% sure he said there is one on Roshar

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Random theory that I haven't thought very hard about : Shallan and Adolin are reincarnations of Vin and Elend, and part of what's going on with Shallan is bleed-through from her past life as a consequence of Vin having held Preservation.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Trying to predict future developments for Shallan is impossible because Sanderson keeps changing his mind on whether he wants Shallan to provide representation for people with dissociative disorders or write a fantastical depiction of magical multiple personality disorder.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

eke out posted:

of all the wild theories i think i'm on team "Shallan somehow isn't actually Shallan" and is some kind of cuckoo, since it's hard to imagine what more fundamental lie could exist at such an early stage in her life. possibly somehow setup or encouraged by the ghostbloods due to their particular interest in her family, even though we really don't know why her family matters (and there's also a WOB that an Unmade was directly influencing them)

i'm going to synthesize these things into an even more ridiculous theory. Shallan isn't actually Shallan because she actually is one of the Unmade! When she was young, she was possessed by Sja-anat, the Taker of Secrets, similarly to how Re-Shephir tried to insert itself in between Shallan and Pattern's bond. All the times Shallan is talking to Sja-anat she's actually talking to her own hidden Formless persona that she repressed, and when she sees Sja-anat in the mirror she's really just seeing herself. She was the Unmade who was affecting her family, and her mom tried to kill her because she was in some kind of "The Omen" situation, not because she had Radiant powers. The Ghostbloods telling her to capture herself is actually deeply ironic. The way she uses her Lightweaving to change how people perceive themselves isn't actually a Lightweaver resonance- it's the same as the way she can "Enlighten" spren to Odium's side. This is also a convenient explanation for why she has crazy magic multiple personalities instead of an actual psychological disorder.

Feel free to ignore all of the reasons this doesn't make sense. They don't matter because there's almost no chance this is true.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Back in Words of Radiance Shallan gave this relatively straightforward explanation of her "true self" and why she saw "Shallan" as an artificial persona.

quote:

An image formed in front of her, born of Stormlight, created by instinct. She hadn't needed to draw this image first, for she knew it too well.

The image was of herself. Shallan, as she should be. Curled in a huddle on the bed, unable to weep for she had long since run out of tears. This girl... not a woman, a girl... flinched whenever spoken to. She expected everyone to shout at her. She could not laugh, for laughter had been squeezed from her by a childhood of darkness and pain.

That was the real Shallan. She knew it as surely as she knew her own name. The person she had become instead was a lie, one she had fabricated in the name of survival. To remember herself as a child, discovering Light in the gardens, Patterns in the stomework, and dreams that became real...

I miss pre-Oathbringer Shallan.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Anshu posted:

Random theory that I haven't thought very hard about : Shallan and Adolin are reincarnations of Vin and Elend, and part of what's going on with Shallan is bleed-through from her past life as a consequence of Vin having held Preservation.

That'd conflict with Secret History and I don't think it'd be received very well in general.

Subvisual Haze posted:

I miss pre-Oathbringer Shallan.

She was still bad pre-Oathbringer tbh.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Donkey posted:

i'm going to synthesize these things into an even more ridiculous theory. Shallan isn't actually Shallan because she actually is one of the Unmade! When she was young, she was possessed by Sja-anat, the Taker of Secrets, similarly to how Re-Shephir tried to insert itself in between Shallan and Pattern's bond. All the times Shallan is talking to Sja-anat she's actually talking to her own hidden Formless persona that she repressed, and when she sees Sja-anat in the mirror she's really just seeing herself. She was the Unmade who was affecting her family, and her mom tried to kill her because she was in some kind of "The Omen" situation, not because she had Radiant powers. The Ghostbloods telling her to capture herself is actually deeply ironic. The way she uses her Lightweaving to change how people perceive themselves isn't actually a Lightweaver resonance- it's the same as the way she can "Enlighten" spren to Odium's side. This is also a convenient explanation for why she has crazy magic multiple personalities instead of an actual psychological disorder.

Feel free to ignore all of the reasons this doesn't make sense. They don't matter because there's almost no chance this is true.

What, no theory about Shallan actually turning out to be Ba-Ado-Mishram possessing the hollowed husk of the real Shallan Davar's body through the power of Connection after somehow escaping from the gemstone prison that Melishi imprisoned her in during the False Desolation?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Yeah, and the cover has Adolin and Shallan in Shadesmar... which we already had in Oathbringer? Seems like a lot of retreads this time around.

I'll be honest, I'm not as hyped by these preview chapters as I was about the Oathbringer chapters.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, and the cover has Adolin and Shallan in Shadesmar... which we already had in Oathbringer? Seems like a lot of retreads this time around.

I'll be honest, I'm not as hyped by these preview chapters as I was about the Oathbringer chapters.

It at least seems this intro segment is about finished. Brandon said he did this intro segment like a sanderlanche at the end of a book as an experiment and it even left his beta readers confused. He probably should have listened to them a bit more in this case. The difference between this and a real sanderlanche is that the real ones have payoff after payoff along with non stop action. Maybe he got the action but there have been no payoffs and in fact have just left me more frustrated than anything as we are getting new questions when the ones from OB still haven't been answered.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

smertrioslol posted:

I don’t really get the hate for her (though it’s been awhile since I re-read WoK and WoR). I’m just hoping we get a Sanderson style huge pay off to her weird adventures.

I personally found the whole mutliple personality thing to be really tiring and hard to keep up with in WoR/OB. I don't remember how bad she was in WoK - I think I actually liked her at first. Then on my re-read it just felt very tedious going through the whole "Who am I" and "Who do I want to be with" again. The first couple of RoW chapters with her also felt similarly frustrating, although admittedly that last one wasn't so bad contrary to my own previous post about it :v: She seems to be getting a better hold on her condition and they're all working together.

I hadn't really thought about her "payoff", but I think it could be something super cool when she's all working together and not fighting herself.

I don't think they will. That's kinda how depression works, it comes and goes but it never fully retreats. I suspect Kal will be dealing with bouts of depression for as long as he's a character.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Sep 2, 2020

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
More guesses to Kaladin's next Ideals.

4. I will forgive myself for my failures, as I cannot protect people in the present if I am only focused on the past

5. In defense of the innocent, if necessary it's ok to kill someone you love if they have betrayed your cause(Moash)

Kaladin's major issues seem to be his inability to forgive himself and his inability to fight Moash.

Shallan's new secret is that she's actually been the Sibling all along.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I think the main reason for the time skip is to give added realism to our main character's mental health issues. It seems accurate that Kaladin sliding into a depressed episode would last for several months before improving, but reading those entire 6 months of a barely functional depressed funk would be miserable. The time skip lets us jump to the end when he's presumably about to get his poo poo back together and learn to take care of himself a little better.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Human beings manifested as floating candle flames. Spren manifested as larger, or more complete versions of what was seen in the Physical Realm.

Soulcasters manifested as small unresponsive spren, hovering with their eyes closed. So the Soulcasters did have a captured spren. A Radiant spren, judging by their shape. Intelligent, rather than the more animal-like spren captured to power normal fabrials.

We didn't see any of that in shallan's segments of WoK, and I think she should have seen one.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

We didn't see any of that in shallan's segments of WoK, and I think she should have seen one.

She was never around anyone who used an actual soulcaster though?

Wait would this mean the reason her father's never worked again is because the spren escaped when it was damaged?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space Butler posted:

She was never around anyone who used an actual soulcaster though?

Wait would this mean the reason her father's never worked again is because the spren escaped when it was damaged?

was it real to begin with?

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tunicate posted:

I thought it was, they got it from the Ghostbloods or some other group through somewhat sketchy means. Jasnah's was fake though, that might be what you're thinking of.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Almost surely; it was used to make all sorts of ore/mineral deposits like marble and such.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

That one was, I don't think the ghostbloods would be sending radiants to help out whatever the hell Shallan's father was up to. I don't think we've had anyone using an actual soulcaster around any of the radiants yet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space Butler posted:

That one was, I don't think the ghostbloods would be sending radiants to help out whatever the hell Shallan's father was up to.

would they NEED to send a radiant when shallan was already there?

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Tunicate posted:

would they NEED to send a radiant when shallan was already there?

She wasn't going to be the one soulcasting marble deposits to fund shenanigans, this is when she's repressed everything so heavily she has no idea what she is. Which is why they sent a guy with a regular soulcaster along, and she never got to see what he was up to.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Space Butler posted:

She wasn't going to be the one soulcasting marble deposits to fund shenanigans, this is when she's repressed everything so heavily she has no idea what she is. Which is why they sent a guy with a regular soulcaster along, and she never got to see what he was up to.

she was surgebinding at middlefest with hoid though, so clearly she was capable of soulcasting at that point

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Welp.

So that's how Kaladin ended up spoilers for newsletter in the surgeons per Syl's interlude. I was curious how he got there.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Huh, today's chapter is up early, isn't it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK read it now :)

1 - Yunfah's gotta go to Rlain, right? Where even is that shellhead :o
2 - Pooooor Kaladin :(
3 - Interesting to see Dalinar confirmed "King but not Highking and separate from Jasnah / Alethkar"

I think that was about it for take aways from me. November can't come fast enough, boys and girls.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
My guess
I'm betting Kal says the Fourth and maybe the Fifth Ideal by the end of the book, one of which will be something like "I must accept that I can't protect everyone".

Seems like he will end up working as a surgeon at some point in the book and Lirin in one of the earlier books tried to get him to recognize that he can't save everyone. There's no way he's done at the Third Ideal.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
About time, it's good that one person sees what should be obvious to everybody and does something about it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't think anyone else has the authority to have done anything about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Daric posted:

My guess
I'm betting Kal says the Fourth and maybe the Fifth Ideal by the end of the book, one of which will be something like "I must accept that I can't protect everyone".

Seems like he will end up working as a surgeon at some point in the book and Lirin in one of the earlier books tried to get him to recognize that he can't save everyone. There's no way he's done at the Third Ideal.

totally agree, i imagine surgeon's going to be the route that he finally accepts that you have to make hard choices to save who you can and not blame yourself for what is impossible.

i wonder what the Fifth for windrunners even is -- since they're honor like skybreakers, it could be something really broad like nale's "i am the law" but it's hard to imagine what that could be

i don't think we get to fifth until the next book though. fourth -- and learning what real shardplate even is and seeing how the characters learn to use it -- will be a big deal in this book, in addition to getting probably a ton more information about other orders and powers