Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It me, posting from whatever century it was when the UK owned calais.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I think calais has been french since the mid 1500s

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

so ignoring whether or not its a stupid idea is it actually possible for me to get any money from my pension because that £11.5k would be extremely useful rn

As others have said, withdrawing from your pension before age 55 you could end up with nothing.
Note that in 2028 this increases to age 57 which I'm guessing will affect you.

Have a read here.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/pension-release-or-pension-unlocking

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Angrymog posted:

Given that we're not getting pay rises or bonuses for at least the next couple of years, they're going to have to work really hard to convince me to come back to the office.

Still pondering joining Prospect, but not sure how much use they are if you're not working at a union shop.

i joined prospect (the magazine) the other day, looking forward to my clive james biography of philip larkin with issue one!

more on topic, my sister gave me a load of private eye annuals and the 2007 one is all about david cameron not criticising the labour govt, agreeing with it and wants to hug and kiss it. keir must have read it too

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

As others have said, withdrawing from your pension before age 55 you could end up with nothing.
Note that in 2028 this increases to age 57 which I'm guessing will affect you.
By the time I'm 75 the state pension age will be 150 and you'll have penalties for withdrawing a private one before 120.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

The womb bit is a bit weird, but the rest makes sense as a particular expression of

Well the use of Womb in the article makes sense since it was the description given by Dr. Timothy Leary. The author just ran with it.

And he was spot on in that the technology was originally being designed (or at least theorized and written about) by white, male. So obviously he was highlighting how it would end up there wouldn't be non-white men or women in this space.

I did like the notion that the billionaires who are looking at private armies to build their fortresses fails at the same level that Doomsday preppers fail at basic things when Covid hit.

It's like the idea that natural disasters just roll over the stupid.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

I have to assume that graph assumes no further intervention.

Because still the majority of people haven't been exposed to it, so either you have to keep doing lockdowns (if you don't go the full distance to actually eradicate it the first time) or you let it go absolutely wild and pile the dead in the streets.

If I remember right the government line around March was that an initial lockdown would lead to people getting tired of it and so a second lockdown was unthinkable, nobody would possibly obey that, so if one lockdown wouldn't work then they might as well have no lockdowns

i'd quite like to at least give it a shot if it means people not dying, but who am i. i never even went to oxbridge. what do i know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Archaeology Hat posted:

I was wondering if the UK even existed at the same time as not-french calais.

Angepain posted:

If I remember right the government line around March was that an initial lockdown would lead to people getting tired of it and so a second lockdown was unthinkable, nobody would possibly obey that, so if one lockdown wouldn't work then they might as well have no lockdowns

i'd quite like to at least give it a shot if it means people not dying, but who am i. i never even went to oxbridge. what do i know.

Yes well we know what this government is like with its lines.

<george_osborne.gif>

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

It me, posting from whatever century it was when the UK owned calais.

bloody borders, coming over here and being on this side of the channel :bahgawd:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Archaeology Hat posted:

There's a tiny bit of France that actually counts as Kent; there's a police station and it runs on UK time.

Going back to the news story, isn't a lone person swimming the channel most likely to be, well, someone trying to swim the channel for its own sake?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I was just reading through some news stories, and came across a bail application for a woman accused of fraud.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-ne...k-39495433.html

This part made me chuckle.

quote:

Ms Farrell also referenced a newspaper article describing Ms Damji's father as a "property tycoon".

However, Mr Justice Hunt said he "wouldn't believe everything in the Daily Telegraph", and described it as a "Conservative rag".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

Well the use of Womb in the article makes sense since it was the description given by Dr. Timothy Leary. The author just ran with it.

And he was spot on in that the technology was originally being designed (or at least theorized and written about) by white, male. So obviously he was highlighting how it would end up there wouldn't be non-white men or women in this space.
It's weird because Leary was weird, in the same way that Giger would probably have the internet as mechanical dicks.

It's funny that Leary committed the exact same failure of imagination though, his big idea was "if everyone did psychedelic drugs then we'd all tune in and there'd be a lot less problems and we'd be more connected." Which suffers from a white guy standpoint issue, because everyone from Ernst Jünger to Atomwaffen did a ton of psychedelics and it didn't stop any of them being racist fucksticks.

Maybe he recognized some of his own failure of understanding human nature in the MIT book.

The Question IRL posted:

I did like the notion that the billionaires who are looking at private armies to build their fortresses fails at the same level that Doomsday preppers fail at basic things when Covid hit.

It's like the idea that natural disasters just roll over the stupid.
Preppers failed at staying at home, which should be the easiest part, but turned out to be the hardest for them.

Angrymog posted:

Going back to the news story, isn't a lone person swimming the channel most likely to be, well, someone trying to swim the channel for its own sake?
Yeah, they were a channel swimmer that went missing. Nobody even hears about the migrant boats that go missing. :smith:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

justcola posted:

Something I was wondering about this chart:

I can't find anything in Google as everything seems to return stuff on what Imperial College is doing in response to coronavirus now or subsequent research or articles analysing the original research. I'd like to know how they decided on the October up-swing - did they factor in a temporary lockdown then schools opening and Rishi having people eating Nando's for half price?

This particular chart was made with the assumption that lockdown measures largely end other than general social distancing after the shaded area. It's all in the actual report.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And also with the assumption that the government doesn't just let the second bit of the green curve happen and actually does something.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Well the exact point of the green one in particular was to demonstrate that without further lockdowns after the first, social distancing and various measures which were carried out throughout the winter the NHS would go to pieces even more than doing nothing in march.

The fact the government was like "lol okay" until public pressure forced them to cave is another matter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The people do not want a second lockdown, I just hope the virus responds constructively to their demands for no second wave.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still can't read that goddamn thing because it's a black line and three green lines.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's weird because Leary was weird, in the same way that Giger would probably have the internet as mechanical dicks.

It's funny that Leary committed the exact same failure of imagination though, his big idea was "if everyone did psychedelic drugs then we'd all tune in and there'd be a lot less problems and we'd be more connected." Which suffers from a white guy standpoint issue, because everyone from Ernst Jünger to Atomwaffen did a ton of psychedelics and it didn't stop any of them being racist fucksticks.

Maybe he recognized some of his own failure of understanding human nature in the MIT book.
The failures of others we hate the most are often reflections of our own failings.

quote:

Preppers failed at staying at home, which should be the easiest part, but turned out to be the hardest for them.

Preppers failed for that reason. But also, because at their heart the Preppers want the situation to go full Walking Dead so they have an excuse to shoot brown people.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If anyone knows where the original report is that'd be good. I was assuming the idea of this kind of modelling is that everyone will be infected at some point, its just a case of how quickly and what the response will be to control it. Also its more about critical care bed occupancy whilst we've just let people die in care homes or at home because they were too scared to ring 111.

The lack of offices and hiring people internationally is interesting, as though I can appreciate not having to commute or just wandering around an office like a dickhead, it would be interesting to see how quickly automation would take over jobs due to no office 'culture' or being more productive even though people are playing games and cranking one out every day. We don't need Pret or commuter rags or adverts on buses and any of that poo poo either.

Won't even be jobs for the robots by the time we're finished :orks:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I still can't read that goddamn thing because it's a black line and three green lines.
:effort: but is this better?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is actually better yes thank you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah good. The oh poo poo we're hosed this winter curve is now more accessible. :science:

The Question IRL posted:

The failures of others we hate the most are often reflections of our own failings.
It's also interesting/amusing that both Leary and the Nixon moral panickers got the same big thing wrong about psychedelics. They both thought that LSD/DMT/Psilocybin were these god-molecules that would turn you into an enlightened communist who had only love for their fellow man, which intrigued one and terrified the others.

But at the end of the day they were all just interesting chemicals that can have effects on perception and/or make you trip balls, and do seem to have some fascinating uses in an appropriate psychological setting, but they won't change human nature and they won't make a Nazi not Nazi if they just do them surrounded by other Nazis.

The Question IRL posted:

Preppers failed for that reason. But also, because at their heart the Preppers want the situation to go full Walking Dead so they have an excuse to shoot brown people.
They wanted an 80s action movie and they were told to be in a 70s psycho-drama set in a single room.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Having gone back to school today for the first time, I'm very much not convinced things will go well. It was an INSET day and other than some slight measures there was basically no social distancing between the vast majority of the teachers. If that's how it is when there aren't 1500 kids then I can't see how it gets better when they all turn up.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sad Panda posted:

Having gone back to school today for the first time, I'm very much not convinced things will go well. It was an INSET day and other than some slight measures there was basically no social distancing between the vast majority of the teachers. If that's how it is when there aren't 1500 kids then I can't see how it gets better when they all turn up.

What was stopping the social distancing? Physical space or teachers not bothering or a mixture?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I know it's not your job to ask people to make things accessible or owt, but I do appreciate when colourblind people mention which graphs are bad for them because it reminds me ensure my own figures are colourblind/printer friendly and mention it to other people when theirs aren't. I do enjoy Guava's predilection for monochrome markings, but even if you don't want to go all '70s Central Statistical Office map there really isn't a good excuse to use a bad palette any more - almost every prominent graphing software comes with accessible colours as default these days. Using jet in 2020 should be sufficient grounds to reject a paper.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What was stopping the social distancing? Physical space or teachers not bothering or a mixture?

95% lack of caring is what it seemed like. We had a meeting in the hall. There were a few rows of chairs put down but piles of chairs at the back if you wanted to grab one for the large empty space. Nearly everyone chose to sat in the rows of chairs under a metre from the person next to them. There was also the wonderful moment when a piece of paper was passed around us all to sign. No measures taken that we are supposed to with students (gloves/disinfectant gel).

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
people under 35 are more likely to die in a road accident than of covid, I read in private eye

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Breath Ray posted:

people under 35 are more likely to die in a road accident than of covid, I read in private eye

gently caress off you loving racist, nobody gives a poo poo what you have to say.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm not big on telling people to gently caress off on the internet because honestly it's kind of a hassle, but it seems like a bit of a dick move to just leave it to Miftan

gently caress off Breath Ray

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Breath Ray posted:

That passes the smell test, what's your point?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/GarethDennis/status/1297841129761787906?s=19

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Vitamin P posted:

Obvious trolling, & your sense of smell sucks

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Saros posted:

To be entirely honest right now is probably the lowest amount of cases it's going to be for a long time. Again and again around the world opening schools is the single biggest factor in cases taking back off.
Yea, this was my thinking before getting a haircut a couple of weeks ago. I dunno, I guess I sort of don’t really believe that anybody in pubs will be distancing or doing anything differently, perhaps it’s not as bad as I’m imagining

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Vitamin P posted:

A history of racist posting and not being tolerated in the thread. Lusting for the death of immigrants. Not welcome in the thread

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Breath Ray posted:

It's not just about deaths. Recovering from Covid 19 isn't as black and white as being dead or healthy. Much like being in a road accident, there are varying degrees of long-term health consequences.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

I saw this last week but it is excellent.

The Wilson, Callaghan, Brown and Cameron ones are masterful. I don't like the implication that Class 37s are huge racists though... :ohdear:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Angrymog posted:

Still pondering joining Prospect, but not sure how much use they are if you're not working at a union shop.

Very little in my experience. If you are in a union shop though then they're pretty good (if a bit wet).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Made me nostalgic for Anglia rail. And laughing infrequent travellers who couldn't work out how to get out of a slam door train.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Having to stick your arm out the window and open it from the outside was a novel experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

OwlFancier posted:

Having to stick your arm out the window and open it from the outside was a novel experience.

The pro move was to have already turned the handle and be leaning on the door as the train pulled in, so it would fall open the moment the guard released the master locks.