Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
shigaraki was borderline-indestructible even before his time in the tube, this just seems a little much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be fair Shigaraki getting upgraded felt like it was long in the cards since nearly the beginning of the series to me.

His original quirk is super deadly and he's fast enough to use it, but All Might levels of strength and speed just beat it because you can just get to the "I'm so fast you can't even hit me" or "I just wiggle my limbs at you and you get owned by air blasts" level and it doesn't work anymore. If Deku and Shigaraki are going to be able to throw down he needs an upgrade. I have a feeling the super-regen will get some contrivance to make it "not free".

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just throw him into space, he'll eventually stop thinking

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Just throw him into space, he'll eventually stop thinking
Uraraka being the one to defeat the ultimate villain would be an unironically cool ending

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The whole time I've been wondering what the consequences for terminating the doctor's process early will be. I think if Shigaraki winds up hitting a limit, it'll be related to that.

All for One is just a loving busted quirk.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This all really highlights how scary AfO must have been in his prime.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

This all really highlights how scary AfO must have been in his prime.

And how amazing All Might was to solo him with just the punchy aspects of OFA.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
All Might's 100% in his prime is still far ahead of Deku's 100%. Old wounded and wearing weights All Might can casually destroy city blocks during training. Prime Might was a walking tactical nuke.

But really the %'s are powerlevel BS that doesn't have any actual consistency.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ChronoReverse posted:

And how amazing All Might was to solo him with just the punchy aspects of OFA.
We haven't really seen 100% pre-injury All Might fighting as hard as possible either, really.

AFO vs All Might was two old dudes in walkers slapping eachother while on their last legs and it destroyed half a city.

LeisureSuit Canary
Dec 27, 2012

Well we mainly saw AfO also use punchy stuff right? Like besides teleportation it was punching and air blasts.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

firrup posted:

Well we mainly saw AfO also use punchy stuff right? Like besides teleportation it was punching and air blasts.

Gran Torino mentioned that his power set was completely different from 5 years ago. I choose to believe that it was lasers. Or maybe sharks with lasers.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It was probably reality warping stuff but All Might just nope punched them all into submission. Including the reality warping laser shark lasers.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
All for One had already passed off the original Quirk to the doctor by the time he and All Might had round 2, correct? I wonder why he didn't have the doctor give him a copy of the set he gave to Shiggy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

bare bottom pancakes posted:

All for One had already passed off the original Quirk to the doctor by the time he and All Might had round 2, correct? I wonder why he didn't have the doctor give him a copy of the set he gave to Shiggy.
Probably something to do with the fiddly quirk duplication tech.

Also all I can think about is how My Villain Academia and this arc eventually are gonna probably look disappointing when animated because it'd take a Mob Psycho level of work to really nail it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

firrup posted:

I read some speculation that this was a deliberate choice on AFO's part, that he wanted to take down AM with his own power set.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I never got why Shiggy makes video game references. He was never shown playing games as a kid, and then he lived on the streets until AFO picked him up and began grooming him to be his successor. When did he have time not only to play games, but become so enamored with them to commonly reference them, even during stressful life or death moments? I was expecting there to be a scene where, as a kid, he played games to have a mental escape from his abusive father, but we didn't even get that.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CodfishCartographer posted:

I never got why Shiggy makes video game references. He was never shown playing games as a kid, and then he lived on the streets until AFO picked him up and began grooming him to be his successor. When did he have time not only to play games, but become so enamored with them to commonly reference them, even during stressful life or death moments? I was expecting there to be a scene where, as a kid, he played games to have a mental escape from his abusive father, but we didn't even get that.

We don't see it, but early on it's implied that Shiggy was a gamer NEET before he was really active with the League of Villians (aka before the first U.A. attack).

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Neo_Crimson posted:

We don't see it, but early on it's implied that Shiggy was a gamer NEET before he was really active with the League of Villians (aka before the first U.A. attack).

thats what hes saying though. its implied, and then literally never followed up on. its kinda weird.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Eh, videogame references are common enough now that there doesn't need to be a reason to explain them. It could just be to emphasise how detached he is from his humanity.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm imagining Shigaraki accidentally dusting a bunch of controllers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's a lesser known fact that AfO brainwashed Shigaraki to the Dark Side with Gamer Joker memes.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

bare bottom pancakes posted:

The true treasure of All for One is the quirks you stole along the way!

But really, maybe All for One is an accumulation quirk like AfO. Maybe Shiggy's time in stasis was to not only give him OfA, but also regen, search and airblast (I think that's all of them). So right now he has zero quirks collected through OfA, and was given those other 3 the same way Gigantomachia was given his the high-end Nomu were given theirs.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 2, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I just assumed that as he was groomed he was given video games to play in his tiny room

I doubt AFO had him on a strict villain regiment or anything

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

rannum posted:

I just assumed that as he was groomed he was given video games to play in his tiny room

I doubt AFO had him on a strict villain regiment or anything

All for One gave him better stuff after murders and other villainy. He didn't explicitly say it. He just... did it.

I figure new games would be one of those things.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm imagining Shigaraki accidentally dusting a bunch of controllers.

Shiggy does the claw grip.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Shigaraki has risen up

Bottom text

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah after Shigaraki did bad things. AfO gave him toys and other rewards. Games were probably among them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi: Oh, another volume? Sweet, I can draw Miruko some more

Oh yeah, this is apparently one of Horikoshi's former assistants who has also fallen in love with her:
https://twitter.com/nstime23/status/1300072941380485120?s=20

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 2, 2020

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Give Miruko a robot limb and OFA. She'd take care of Shigaraki by herself in no time flat. Which is what Shigaraki would be. Because he'd be stomped flat. Via Miruko drop-kick.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 2, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ya'll better strap in because fighting Shigaraki is going to continue for the next 18 years. That's right, it's Boat 2 motherfuckers!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Increasingly convoluted ways of keeping Aizawa staring at Shigaraki. Mirrors, portals, and the '88 Pistons are involved at various points.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Hogama posted:

Increasingly convoluted ways of keeping Aizawa staring at Shigaraki. Mirrors, portals, and the '88 Pistons are involved at various points.
Aizawa just has to not blink again ever.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hogama posted:

Monoma+Aizawa+Manual could keep Shigaraki locked down forever. Even time for bathroom breaks.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
What if he just dug out one eyeball, and put it in a jar and let that stare at Shiggy all day?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aizawa will die, but he'll pass his eyeballs on to Present Mic, who will take to wearing Scott Summers brand shades to keep the Quirk Erasure effect from going off constantly.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

At this point I think the My Villain Academia chapters will mark where this series started to suck.

The bad guys suddenly became tough from being jobbers and it felt as lame as when it happens in pro wrestling. Now they're just killing everyone.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TheKingslayer posted:

At this point I think the My Villain Academia chapters will mark where this series started to suck.
:crossarms:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Finally got around to catching up on this, looks like I chose a great time to! Although now I have nothing to read...

Time to read vigilantes I guess?

I am now caught up on Vigilantes, which is a very good series.

What is not good is having to wait for more Vigilantes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

MVA is good, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

TheKingslayer posted:

The bad guys suddenly became tough from being jobbers and it felt as lame as when it happens in pro wrestling. Now they're just killing everyone.

Learn how to read the room