Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the game defaulting to non ironman and no warning before starting a game is very annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

any tips? what am I missing? I could never get through the irish king campaign in CK2, either, largely for the same reasons, though this seems to have less "wait around doing nothing and hoping an event with some significance fires" going on

I'm talking out of my rear end because I've not actually done this in CK3, but if you've vanquished the army of that county, return your troops to your territory and have them stand down. Wait a few months (levee's will replenish X amount per month, you can also use your mashal to increase this) until you have enough troops to comfortably siege down that holding. No need to peace out or anything. Keep an eye on what your enemy is up to in case they try to raise an army and march in before you can raise your troops.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Frog Act posted:

So, uh, I'm stuck on the first siege in the tutorial, the siege of Desmond. The game raises about 500 soldiers and then after the first battle that's diminished a bit, but the garrison in the place you're besieging is larger than that, so the siege isn't progressing. I tried raising men at arms using gold and added some onagers to the siege, but it was still stuck with the red "siege will not progress" text. any tips? what am I missing? I could never get through the irish king campaign in CK2, either, largely for the same reasons, though this seems to have less "wait around doing nothing and hoping an event with some significance fires" going on

I had the same problem. Gave up, hired mercenaries, won. I also had to restart the tutorial a couple of times when, for instance, the bad guys besieged me before I could levy troops. You can't levy troops if you're under siege.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Frog Act posted:

So, uh, I'm stuck on the first siege in the tutorial, the siege of Desmond. The game raises about 500 soldiers and then after the first battle that's diminished a bit, but the garrison in the place you're besieging is larger than that, so the siege isn't progressing. I tried raising men at arms using gold and added some onagers to the siege, but it was still stuck with the red "siege will not progress" text. What do you do here? Just start over and hope for better luck with the first battle in the tutorial next time?

Crusader Kings is my great bane because everyone loves it and I want to love it but I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be doing half the time, or when I can, how to effectively do it. It isn't that PDX games are too much for me, really, Victoria II is one of my most played games of all time so I think I can navigate the interfaces and stuff just fine, but with EU and CK there are always these confusing roadblocks that I can't just intuitively make sense of the same way I could in Victoria, which I know sounds insane because Victoria is much, much less intuitive

any tips? what am I missing? I could never get through the irish king campaign in CK2, either, largely for the same reasons, though this seems to have less "wait around doing nothing and hoping an event with some significance fires" going on

This happened to me and I just moved my army back into friendly territory and let it replenish, then continued the siege.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Doltos posted:

How are you guys enjoying the game so far?

it is great

Frog Act posted:

So, uh, I'm stuck on the first siege in the tutorial, the siege of Desmond. The game raises about 500 soldiers and then after the first battle that's diminished a bit, but the garrison in the place you're besieging is larger than that, so the siege isn't progressing. I tried raising men at arms using gold and added some onagers to the siege, but it was still stuck with the red "siege will not progress" text. What do you do here? Just start over and hope for better luck with the first battle in the tutorial next time?

it sounds like you got the worst dice rolls and thus have failed the tutorial due to not having enough men to siege, which is a very paradox games thing to happen

back your dudes off to your capital and see if you can disband them. i'm not sure you can during a war, it was possible in ck2 but maybe not now. your new men-at-arms aren't going to reinforce anytime soon, so you'll have to drag out the war. or just restart the tutorial imo

i'm not sure yet how it works in ck3, but in ck2 you needed at least as many men as there are in the besieged garrison in order to keep a seige active

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I had the same problem. Gave up, hired mercenaries, won. I also had to restart the tutorial a couple of times when, for instance, the bad guys besieged me before I could levy troops. You can't levy troops if you're under siege.

Generally speaking, you should declare war while paused and then hit the "raise levies" button before unpausing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Traxis posted:

This happened to me and I just moved my army back into friendly territory and let it replenish, then continued the siege.

yeah this sounds like the way to go, just back your dudes off to friendly territory so they reinforce over time. you don't need a huge amount of dudes to win, just 50%+1

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Jabor posted:

PSA for people used to land-grabbing in CK2: The way it works in CK3 is that if you have a courtier with a claim on a lower-level title, you can just push that claim, and they'll be your vassal (and also love you a lot) afterwards. No shenanigans with needing to grant them some other landed title first (and the ensuing border gore).

Huge if true.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

wheres is the ledger

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bold Robot posted:

Huge if true.

it is, I just hosed up a lot of ireland by sheer virtue of having a lot of friends with the right claims and didn't have to get squirrely with border gore or anything.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

LordMune posted:

With a tem outta :tem: from IGN, I consider the stain on my reputation that is their 6.3 review of Stellaris erased.

edit: there u go

Y'all made an incredible game. As someone who loved CKII, this one surpasses what I would have imagined as the perfect sequel. :yayclod:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

luxury handset posted:

it is great

it sounds like you got the worst dice rolls and thus have failed the tutorial due to not having enough men to siege, which is a very paradox games thing to happen

back your dudes off to your capital and see if you can disband them. i'm not sure you can during a war, it was possible in ck2 but maybe not now. your new men-at-arms aren't going to reinforce anytime soon, so you'll have to drag out the war. or just restart the tutorial imo

i'm not sure yet how it works in ck3, but in ck2 you needed at least as many men as there are in the besieged garrison in order to keep a seige active

Willfrey posted:

I'm talking out of my rear end because I've not actually done this in CK3, but if you've vanquished the army of that county, return your troops to your territory and have them stand down. Wait a few months (levee's will replenish X amount per month, you can also use your mashal to increase this) until you have enough troops to comfortably siege down that holding. No need to peace out or anything. Keep an eye on what your enemy is up to in case they try to raise an army and march in before you can raise your troops.

Traxis posted:

thanks goons! I'll give the tutorial another try later. I am desperate to figure out how to get into CK3 after failing with CK2 since Victoria II is probably my favorite game ever and these newer games seem like a genuine improvement on the older ones.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

When I conquer land, how do I grant that land to my family members? I'm taking over Ireland and I don't want these conquered assholes as my vassals, I want to put my brother and nephews in their place, but I can't figure it out. Also, how do I keep courtiers / certain people happy if the only way to do so is to grant them a seat in a limited council?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

After playing 40 years it feels like events are way less common than CK2. While raising up my kids I only got like two events dealing with them gaining traits and nothing has really happened to my character besides my daughter-in-law seducing me and some random military bonuses from my lifestyle.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Frog Act posted:

thanks goons! I'll give the tutorial another try later. I am desperate to figure out how to get into CK3 after failing with CK2 since Victoria II is probably my favorite game ever and these newer games seem like a genuine improvement on the older ones.

I’m the same way, tried CK2 and EU4 many times but could never get into it.

I think I got lucky with the tutorial and didn’t have the issue you did. Nonetheless, I think this game is amazing and I can feel that it’s clicking. Keep going at it patiently. It shouldn’t take long to assimilate. I lost 4 hours to this game today the same way Factorio steals time..

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If I create a heresy, does it enter the pool of heresies that can randomly spawn in other countries like Lollard/Cathar or will it only spread in my lands?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Qubee posted:

When I conquer land, how do I grant that land to my family members? I'm taking over Ireland and I don't want these conquered assholes as my vassals, I want to put my brother and nephews in their place, but I can't figure it out. Also, how do I keep courtiers / certain people happy if the only way to do so is to grant them a seat in a limited council?

Right click the character that owns the land and select revoke title.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Well, I need to get rid of three moron sons as the duke of Barcelona.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the game is extremely cool and as is tradition, i am extremely bad at it. the AI seems more aggressive than I'm used to from CK2

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
died as the king of yorubaland and igbo-benue and inherited one as my daughter with the other inheriting the second kingdom. i want to declare war to get the other crown back but my sister is imprisoned in my dungeon so i cant?? why would having her imprisoned make it harder for me to gently caress her up i should be able to just take her poo poo

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Even having a good bit of experience with CK2, playing the Tutorial here was really helpful just to learn the new UI and a few of the new mechanics.

Game seems Very Good and Very Crusader Kings. Looking forward to ransoming and/or killing a few of my prisoners later (one of my conquered foe’s son and grandson, lol).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Traxis posted:

Right click the character that owns the land and select revoke title.

Is there a more manipulative and sinister way I can revoke their title without creating heavy opinion losses or other negative effects? Someone said something about imprisoning them first to avoid the negative stuff.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you move your army back to your territory, it replenishes and you can finish the siege.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I also went into the military tab, made a men at arms unit of onagers and proceeded to break into the castle with them. Worked perfectly and they were very handy for attacking elsewhere too.

This is my first CK game. I had all of Ireland except for two provinces in the north under my control. Things were looking bright right up until the point I got assassinated and my kingdom broke up into three petty kingdoms, because all the kids had to get a piece.

I feel I have received the real Crusader Kings experience.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

violent sex idiot posted:

died as the king of yorubaland and igbo-benue and inherited one as my daughter with the other inheriting the second kingdom. i want to declare war to get the other crown back but my sister is imprisoned in my dungeon so i cant?? why would having her imprisoned make it harder for me to gently caress her up i should be able to just take her poo poo

It might just be a game balance thing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aye Doc posted:

the game is extremely cool and as is tradition, i am extremely bad at it. the AI seems more aggressive than I'm used to from CK2

That would be nice, the AI was way to passive in 2

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Aye Doc posted:

I noticed that too. Italy was a hellscape of constant war, and every attempt as a pagan count wound up with me being brutally slammed.

Also crusades starting in 890 because Jorvik did well seems early

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://steamdb.info/app/1158310/graphs/
Currently 91k concurrent players with a peak near 100k. Wowee

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Qubee posted:

Is there a more manipulative and sinister way I can revoke their title without creating heavy opinion losses or other negative effects? Someone said something about imprisoning them first to avoid the negative stuff.

See, now you are really playing the game. All problems have solutions

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Prism posted:

I also went into the military tab, made a men at arms unit of onagers and proceeded to break into the castle with them. Worked perfectly and they were very handy for attacking elsewhere too.

This is my first CK game. I had all of Ireland except for two provinces in the north under my control. Things were looking bright right up until the point I got assassinated and my kingdom broke up into three petty kingdoms, because all the kids had to get a piece.

I feel I have received the real Crusader Kings experience.

So you either didn't form the Kingdom of Ireland, or you didn't take the automatically provided option to switch to tanistry?

Anyway: something appears to be even more hosed than usual as my spymaster informs me that one of my courtiers is her own bastard daughter.

Unbelievable isn't the half of it, Ragnvald.

It's actually a bug - according to the hook Finneacht has a bastard child with Muirchertach, but for some reason it's reporting her as the child.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Oh, NICE, there's a multiplayer mode as well, and a couple of my friends are picking up this game.
I promised one friend I would be gentle since this is his first Crusader Kings, but he had to follow some ground rules.
A) If his character has any birth defects, he may not cuck my guy.
B) If his character is normal, please consider cucking me.
C) If his character has great genetic traits, then will he please gently caress my wife?
I wonder how long it will be until he realizes I'm dead serious?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Zero One posted:

It might just be a game balance thing.

you instantly win a war against a character who you have in your dungeons

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Qubee posted:

you can't swap the title between person A and person B. you have to gank the title for yourself using revoke and then you can give it to whoever

it's better to set up some reason to revoke the title first, such as pissing someone off enough to revolt against you. otherwise it's just theft of a title

or if you're doing a william the bastard scenario just go on a revocation spree and eat the tyranny penalty. gently caress em anyway

Qubee posted:

yeah hell yeah, always good to see someone understand how crusader kings works

it's not so much imprisoning them that matters, but what they do to make them get into your prison. you can do an imprison scheme but i'm not sure that will work. just do everything you can to piss them off so they try to rebel or plot against you. gently caress with their vassal contract. fire them from the council. seduce their wife. piss in their cheerios. the power is yours

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 1, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Quantum Shart posted:

https://steamdb.info/app/1158310/graphs/
Currently 91k concurrent players with a peak near 100k. Wowee

And that's not even considering how many people are playing it on Gamepass.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

How do I make someone a champion?

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So I'm sure I'm missing something basic, or if not that it's been asked a thousand times already but how do I pick anyone other than the 'interesting characters' to play from the start screen? I want my random dukes, goddamit

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

So I'm sure I'm missing something basic, or if not that it's been asked a thousand times already but how do I pick anyone other than the 'interesting characters' to play from the start screen? I want my random dukes, goddamit

towards the bottom left, there should be a button that says Play As Any Ruler in 1066 or whatever, and it'll open up the full map to you

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Crashed to desktop during the war stage of the tutorial, but it was running very well despite being on a five-year-old laptop. The map looks great!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Lemon posted:

How do I make someone a champion?

There's a Champion / Knight / other local title menu on the military screen, you can set people to allow/forbid/force being knights/champions.
Otherwise the game autopopulates it as long as you have enough relevant courtiers to partake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon
May 22, 2003

SubNat posted:

There's a Champion / Knight / other local title menu on the military screen, you can set people to allow/forbid/force being knights/champions.
Otherwise the game autopopulates it as long as you have enough relevant courtiers to partake.

Thanks - For some reason I was just glossing over that button next to levies.