Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Having one “mirror” character for each archetype (e.g Clint / Kate, Iron Man / War Machine) actually helps with the co-op restrictions. That’s kind of smart

Edit: also, Anthem loving sucked rear end from the moment you started it up. I don’t know if y’all are actually playing right now but this campaign is actually good? I don’t know if the GAAS part will have forever legs but there’s an actual functioning game here.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s not as smart as just getting rid of it lol

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Tensoku you are right! Everything is just fine ;)

Juuuuuust fine!

Very happy to see Kate coming. That’s cool.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

fadam posted:

It’s not as smart as just getting rid of it lol

I'm not sure I blame CD/SE on this one; it's likely a stipulation within their contract with Marvel. It's rumored that's also why your armor choices don't show off on your character; having a hodpodge style makes the characters less "identifiable" and suits at Marvel would see that as not being a strength to the brand.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tensokuu posted:

I'm not sure I blame CD/SE on this one; it's likely a stipulation within their contract with Marvel. It's rumored that's also why your armor choices don't show off on your character; having a hodpodge style makes the characters less "identifiable" and suits at Marvel would see that as not being a strength to the brand.

Except they've said Exotics do show on your character, so it's probably way more likely since this is a cash grab that it's so you'll just buy one of the lovely costumes and it's less work than modeling all the armor (and then having to add some kind of transmog system so you can get the look you want).

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Oh huh, I missed that about exotics.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

Having one “mirror” character for each archetype (e.g Clint / Kate, Iron Man / War Machine) actually helps with the co-op restrictions. That’s kind of smart

Edit: also, Anthem loving sucked rear end from the moment you started it up. I don’t know if y’all are actually playing right now but this campaign is actually good? I don’t know if the GAAS part will have forever legs but there’s an actual functioning game here.

Yeah, I imagine most of them are pretty obvious.

Captain/Winter Soldier
Iron Man/War Machine
Hulk/She Hulk

I don't know enough about comic books to know who would be obvious matches for Widow, Kamala, or Thor, but I'm sure they exist in that listing. Maybe it's just as easy as doing something like femThor for Thor.

I bet you this is how they get around the Spiderman thing also. Since he'll be coming with new zones, story, and bosses. I bet they do something like "Well Peter Parker Spiderman is exclusive to Ps4/5, but Miles Morales Spiderman is all platform! This means PC/Xbox gamers can still experience the Spiderman content!". So he'll be a hero where PC/Xbox gamers don't get a chance to swap to an alt if someone else is using them like Ps4/5 do.

e: People in industry are saying this was supposed to show off a Wakanda raid today, along with likely a Black Panther reveal. Looks like they changed their marketing last minute out of respect for Chadwick's passing which makes sense.

ee: The more I think on it, the more I realize that's exactly what they are going to do with Spiderman. Each hero comes with a story continuation, new zones, and content relating to them. Spiderman's exclusivity only mentions the character and an event tied to him will be exclusive, but says nothing of his zones/story content.

So either Spiderman will launch as just a hero with an event, which would be underwhelming. Or they are going to release his alt on other platforms, and that way his zones/story content will still make sense and let you play as Miles or Gwen.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 1, 2020

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I cannot get over how good Kamala is as a framing character here. The beginning levels do a fantastic job of letting you experience her learning what it’s like to have super powers, and the VA just does an amazing job of selling how loving amped she is about it.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

quote:

THIRD MARVEL’S AVENGERS WAR TABLE REVEALS POST-LAUNCH HERO KATE BISHOP AND MORE

Marvel’s Avengers WAR TABLE Gives Viewers More Details About Game’s High-Level Content

LOS ANGELES, CA (September 1, 2020) - Today, SQUARE ENIX® released the third Marvel’s Avengers WAR TABLE digital stream, providing a new in-depth look at the game ahead of its launch on September 4 on PlayStation®4, Xbox, PC, and Stadia.

Watch the Third Marvel’s Avengers WAR TABLE Stream Here
Download Marvel’s Avengers Assets Here

Kicking things off, viewers who watched the Marvel’s Avengers WAR TABLE live via the PlayAvengers.com channel were the first to get details about the game’s daily and weekly missions, as well as four new high-level mission types they’ll encounter as they progress through the Avengers Initiative: Villain Sectors, SHIELD Vaults, AIM’s Secret Lab, and Mega Hives.

Villain Sectors are special missions that provide epic showdowns with powerful bosses that players will want to return to as their Heroes get closer to the game’s power-level cap of 150, while SHIELD Vaults are treasure troves of resources, gear, and secrets that must be discovered and unlocked.

Players looking to test their mettle will look forward to teaming up with three friends to tackle AIM’s Secret Lab, a mission only accessible after reaching the game’s highest power levels. Available once a week, the AIM Secret Lab raid will culminate in a massive boss fight influenced by how well players’ teams performed throughout the mission.

Mega Hives will put players’ full Super Hero roster to the test as they fight their way through a gauntlet of descending floors packed with enemies. The farther they go down, the higher the difficulty goes up, and once all their Heroes are defeated, players will have to start over from the very beginning.

The Marvel’s Avengers WAR TABLE also revealed a new post-launch Hero coming as part of the game’s Avengers Initiative, Kate Bishop. Kate’s Operation, “Taking AIM,” kicks off in late October featuring a new villain and new mystery. Bishop, who is mentored by Clint Barton, comes with distinct Heroic Skills and takedowns that only an Olympic-caliber gymnast and master archer like Kate can pull off.

Kate Bishop will be the first new Hero introduced to Marvel’s Avengers after its launch on September 4. Taking AIM’s story begins shortly after the conclusion of the game’s Reassemble campaign and is just the first half of the two Hawkeyes’ Story Arc. Clint Barton’s Hawkeye takes the stage in November to complete the double-feature and lay the groundwork for what’s next.

These new post-launch Heroes will be made available to all Marvel’s Avengers owners at no additional cost and will continue to move the entire narrative world forward. More information about the Hawkeye Story Arc, as well as additional post-launch content will be available soon.

Previous Marvel’s Avengers WAR TABLES have included other major reveals, like details on the game’s central villain, MODOK (Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing) and the unveiling of Clint Barton’s Hawkeye, one of the first post-launch heroes who will be added to the game.

Watch the first Marvel’s Avengers WAR TABLE Here
Watch the second Marvel’s Avengers WAR TABLE Here

Marvel’s Avengers will be available for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Stadia, and PC on September 4, 2020. Marvel’s Avengers will be available on PlayStation®5 and Xbox Series X when the consoles launch in Holiday 2020. Players who own the current-gen version of the game will be able to upgrade to the next-gen version at no additional cost, regardless if players are moving from PlayStation® 4 to PlayStation 5 or Xbox One to Xbox Series X. Those moving their saves to next-gen will transfer their player profiles and progression so they can pick up right where they left off. In addition, cross-gen play will be supported so PS5™ players will be able to play with their friends on PS4™ and Xbox Series X players will be connected with their friends on Xbox One.

ABOUT MARVEL’S AVENGERS
Marvel’s Avengers offers players a truly rich experience, with a combination of Hero Missions and War Zones. Hero Missions are single-player only and are part of the initial Campaign. They are designed to showcase each hero’s unique abilities as you reassemble your growing roster. War Zones can be played solo or with a group of up to four players* as any Hero in your roster. Each mission dynamically scales based on the team size and player level.

Players in Marvel’s Avengers are also able to customize Earth’s Mightiest Heroes in a number of ways. While each Super Hero plays true to their unique power sets, each has the flexibility to play differently based on the gear players equip and the skills they enable, so no two player’s heroes plays in exactly the same way. Each hero has dynamic combo systems, heroic moves, an intrinsic ability, and signature move sets to unlock and customize – many inspired by classic moves from the 80 years of Marvel history across all media, while others are crafted as originals just for this game.

Players also customize these iconic Super Heroes with classic, fan-favorite, and all-new original outfits, including Iron Man’s suit from the 2014 Original Sin storyline, or Thor’s Donald Blake identity, which is a nod to an alias of Thor’s who first appeared in 1962’s Journey into Mystery issue #83.

Marvel’s Avengers is an ambitious game, starting with a global high-stakes race to reassemble and rebuild the Avengers. But that’s just the beginning. To ensure a continuing heroic experience for all players, the narrative of Marvel’s Avengers expands through the Avengers Initiative, and threats escalate with each new post-release Super Hero, region and story arc delivered to players at no additional cost once they own the core game.

The game is currently rated T (Teen) by the ESRB.

*Internet connection required. Your platform’s online multiplayer requirements will apply.

War Table review. Here’s what it had in it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

VanillaGorilla posted:

I cannot get over how good Kamala is as a framing character here. The beginning levels do a fantastic job of letting you experience her learning what it’s like to have super powers, and the VA just does an amazing job of selling how loving amped she is about it.

I disagree, I think she's really awful lol, the part where the smug kid is like "wow, they should have kept this exclusive to only real fans" was so fuckin corny.

I also find the whole "wow I have to learn how to use these new powers" story to be just as bad as the whole "wow the world turns its back on our heroes, but then the world learns they made a mistake" story and it drives me nuts they had to put both in here.

I'm just being a grumpy bitch tho, game is rly fun.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

fadam posted:

I disagree, I think she's really awful lol, the part where the smug kid is like "wow, they should have kept this exclusive to only real fans" was so fuckin corny.

I also find the whole "wow I have to learn how to use these new powers" story to be just as bad as the whole "wow the world turns its back on our heroes, but then the world learns they made a mistake" story and it drives me nuts they had to put both in here.

I'm just being a grumpy bitch tho, game is rly fun.

Yeah I can see how it might be a little grating. Maybe it’s just because I’m an old pop-pop now with a kid so the characterization really strikes a chord. Like I said before, it’s also a pretty faithful adaptation of her character from the comics, which I also really liked.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ICR posted:

No roadmap revealed at all.

Not good.

They said after their bit about Boseman at the very start of the stream that they altered the presentation out of respect to his family and friends, and then the stream was like ten minutes long. I'd say it's pretty fair to infer that they had to cut out a chunk of Black Panther reveal stuff.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yikes, the pricing model for the cosmetics is a bit insane.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Rookersh posted:

Captain/Winter Soldier

Captain/US Agent

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

While the game actually looks interesting enough, I have never seen a better candidate to wait for the Complete Edition for.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This game will never be complete

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've probably seen enough that if my friends who were also thinking of getting the game actually commit to getting it then I probably will too.

We're all on PS4 so I can't rely on goons to play with if they flake out though :v:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Played some single player last night and thought I finished the mission after the intro, then decided to try out multiplayer. It didn't save any of my progress after knocking out taskmaster

cool

And now when I try to resume, Iron man is the one who knocks out taskmaster and he speaks with black widow's voice.

cool cool

Also can't skip the movie after the intro and it freezes to a black screen after it plays and never comes back so it's literally impossible to progress now

cool cool cool

Guess I bought a $60 2-minute body swap movie

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This game will never be complete

On the day the servers shut down and the campaign is deleted from all hard drives, it will finally be complete (March 2022).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game makes nerds so mad its funny

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Good Citizen posted:

Played some single player last night and thought I finished the mission after the intro, then decided to try out multiplayer. It didn't save any of my progress after knocking out taskmaster

cool

And now when I try to resume, Iron man is the one who knocks out taskmaster and he speaks with black widow's voice.

cool cool

Also can't skip the movie after the intro and it freezes to a black screen after it plays and never comes back so it's literally impossible to progress now

cool cool cool

Guess I bought a $60 2-minute body swap movie

Is it "ready to play" or fully downloaded/installed?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Pennfalath posted:

Is it "ready to play" or fully downloaded/installed?

Oh definitely. I downloaded and played for a while last night and got waaaay past that movie. The freezing and body swapping is the new fun thing this morning

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Rookersh posted:

Captain/Winter Soldier
Iron Man/War Machine
Hulk/She Hulk

I don't know enough about comic books to know who would be obvious matches for Widow, Kamala, or Thor, but I'm sure they exist in that listing. Maybe it's just as easy as doing something like femThor for Thor.

For Thor they could do Jane Foster as Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Thunderstrike.

They all use a hammer as a weapon so its not too difficult.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

playing multiplayer and i tried to climb up to a platform that had a glass railing and the glass shattered while climbing and now I'm just holding onto a non-existent glass railing and I can't get off lol.

Don't mind me rest of the team, just gonna float in space while you complete the mission without me. Have fun!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

For Thor they could do Jane Foster as Thor, Beta Ray Bill, Thunderstrike.

They all use a hammer as a weapon so its not too difficult.

Yeah, I'm just looking at the leak list now.

Antman/Wasp is obvious.
Captain Marvel/Mar-Vell
Black Widow/Mockingbird
Black Panther/Shuri Black Panther
Spiderman/Miles or Gwen

Who would Falcon, Quake, or Vision tie to? Who is anything like Kamala? Dr Strange/Scarlet Witch could be a "magic" pairing, but are they friends in any way that makes that make sense?

I would hope they'd do something like Jane Foster or BRB for Thor. Unless that's going to be the Quake alt, but man that'd be a cop out since they aren't exactly similar outside of maybe playsets.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Rookersh posted:

Who would Falcon, Quake, or Vision tie to? Who is anything like Kamala?

Falcon/Human Torch
Quake/The Thing
Vision/Invisible Woman
Kamala/Mr Fantastic

But they each cost ten bucks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think expecting a Spider Man clone to be available on other systems might be wishful thinking. Wouldn't Sony just own everything to do with his universe?

I'm not really sure how their license for it works though so I'm probably missing something. But considering the Miles Morales game is probably going to be their only big PS5 launch exclusive I definitely think that he's off the table.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They have film rights to like 900 characters or so but that doesn't necessarily extend to game rights. They might not be able to tie up characters like Silk or Spider-Woman.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

I think expecting a Spider Man clone to be available on other systems might be wishful thinking. Wouldn't Sony just own everything to do with his universe?

I'm not really sure how their license for it works though so I'm probably missing something. But considering the Miles Morales game is probably going to be their only big PS5 launch exclusive I definitely think that he's off the table.

I mean what's the other options then?

Spiderman launches with literally nothing but a skill tree, with a very basic event for some skins but is never referenced or seen in the campaign ever? A weird hangeron that doesn't feel great?

Spiderman launches with a full suite of a DLC hero, a raid, missions, new story content, new enemies, new plot relevant stuff, but it's only on Ps4? And then once again is never seen in the future campaign missions/content?

Neither of those are in any way good for the game, and nobody would be happy with either.

If they are going all in with alt options, they could very easily do something like Spiderman/Gwen ( or Miles/Silk ) as a tag team, adding in the missions, raid, story content, and enemies to all platforms. But only Ps4 gets actual Spiderman, everyone else finishes the campaign missions he comes with as Miles ( or Gwen/Silk ) and he'll be the one who shows up more often in future cutscenes. Everyone wins. Ps4/5 gets their exclusive hero, but he actually comes with content that everyone can see rather then just being a weird little thing the game never even shows as a character.

Like the Hawkeye pack makes mention of how these story missions push the story forward after the Assemble storyline, and both Hawkeyes will be needed for whats to come. How is that reconciled with an exclusive hero.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's no good answer to that which is why exclusive stuff in a game like this sucks rear end :v:

The "best" way to do it is to make it so all the spider man stuff is on all systems but he's only playable as a character on PS4/5. I'm not 100% sure how all the missions work but if you just make it so all of the Spidey missions have at least one other character around at all times then you can just force PC/XBOX players to play as one of the other characters so Spidey is still around

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Team, listen.

Spider-Man is a D-list character. Let him be exclusive.

We are all getting a true A-lister in Kathryn Bishop, the Arrow Slayer.

May Gosh have mercy on all your souls.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So since they delayed Black Panther, and Kate Bishop is October and Hawkeye is November, that means Black Panther will probably come in December then right?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can someone more versed in hardware than I explain why a PSPro sounds like it is HOWLING IN PAIN when playing this game, or similarly taxing games? Really lovely cooling system and fans? What?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Can someone more versed in hardware than I explain why a PSPro sounds like it is HOWLING IN PAIN when playing this game, or similarly taxing games? Really lovely cooling system and fans? What?

Sony went really cheap on the cooling system for the PS4. Apparently they’ve remedied that with the PS5.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EQvgW_RDsY

This is literally the entire single player game to me right now. Guess I'll try deleting my save and losing all my multiplayer progress to maybe maybe make it work again.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Good Citizen posted:

This is literally the entire single player game to me right now. Guess I'll try deleting my save and losing all my multiplayer progress to maybe maybe make it work again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUWBoYwAgaE

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Good Citizen posted:

This isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i'm watching a stream and this gameplay looks worse than Anthem lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wheeee posted:

i'm watching a stream and this gameplay looks worse than Anthem lol

It’s amazingly bad. Iron Man’s flying and combat looks exactly like Anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These subtitles, man.