Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Jose Oquendo posted:

Chunky lets you connect to pretty much whatever you want. I don't think it will read it over the network though. You'd have to copy it over. Honestly, that's how I'd do it anyway.

Yeah, browsing the server and pulling down locally makes the most sense. Looks like Panels is able to access my server just fine using Files.app. I may just go that route. Would have been nice to serve up to a friend of mine though, which I trust enough to give my VPN information to so that could still be in the cards.

Does Ubooquity allow for external access like I described above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

TraderStav posted:

Yeah, browsing the server and pulling down locally makes the most sense. Looks like Panels is able to access my server just fine using Files.app. I may just go that route. Would have been nice to serve up to a friend of mine though, which I trust enough to give my VPN information to so that could still be in the cards.

Does Ubooquity allow for external access like I described above?

I don't know but if you want your buddies to be able to download poo poo, you can setup an FTP server pretty easily. For better security I'd recommend a cloud storage thing and you can just share folders and poo poo with your buddies.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Chunky isn't great for streaming comics off a NAS. You have to slowly download them over SMB, and it is lovely. You want to use http://ios.yacreader.com/

I am running the server portion of it on my actual desktop rather than the NAS itself, but there is probably a way to make it run on the NAS directly as it does have linux packages.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 31, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I’ll check that out too. I’ve used Yac on my Mac but didn’t even think about it on my mobile devices.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iPadOS 13.7 has dropped :siren:

undocumented bug fixes, new Memoji, iCloud folder support for Files, some COVID tracking stuff

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I finally snagged the new keyboard from amazon warehouse for $275 while I really like it I’m not sure if I $275 like it. Especially since I already have the folding keyboard that has done me good.

The trackpad and the keyboard are freaking amazing I can say that much. Love the backlight and key travel. The trackpad feels really nice and has a really good click.

I use the iPad in bed a lot and the one thing I don’t like is that I have to take the iPad out of the case to use it in bed where as the other keyboard I could just fold it over and either hold it or stand it up.

I’m gonna keep using it for a few more days but for my use case I’m not 100% sold on it. Mouse / Trackpad support is really nice in iOS though. Everything feels really natural.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Buddy of mine just sent me a link over FB messenger to a webm file that I can't open on my iPad. Googled it and apparently my multiple hundreds euro device can't do something basic without resorting to some dodgy 3rd party app? Is there something I'm missing or am I SOL?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
I *think* you can view them in Safari ; if not; grab the free VLC

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Chikimiki posted:

Buddy of mine just sent me a link over FB messenger to a webm file that I can't open on my iPad. Googled it and apparently my multiple hundreds euro device can't do something basic without resorting to some dodgy 3rd party app? Is there something I'm missing or am I SOL?

I use Outplayer to view them

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is lack of webm support just stubbornness on Apple's part, or is there some semi valid reason?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Rinkles posted:

Is lack of webm support just stubbornness on Apple's part, or is there some semi valid reason?

yes. they've added support for stills in safari 14 so i imagine it's coming at some point.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rinkles posted:

MP4/HEVC/whatever official codec support is all at the hardware level afaik. I don’t think there’s anything stopping them from adding support for it in future chips*, but I wouldn’t expect them to add software decoding for previous ones cause they’re so anal about efficiency. They might be able to leverage other hardware bits to do it or at least assist though.

*Mostly thinking of licensing or patent stuff here rather than anything technical (I think other chips have added support?). I remember there’s been some questions/gray areas with previous open video formats but haven’t followed WebM enough to know how clean it is there.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Wait what? Is lack of proper WebM support on Apple devices why there's still loving fullblown GIFs on sites like Reddit et al?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My guess would be that Apple plans to skip WebM support entirely since they already went for HEVC/HEIF, and instead go straight for AV1, which is only just starting to roll out in hardware decoding support this year but is substantially more efficient than both VP9/WebM and HEVC. Similarly, AVIF will be almost universally better than other image formats in most situations, including WebP, once there's hardware decoding for it.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 7, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So I have cricket wireless for my phone, on a family plan, and it works fine. Is there a cheap way of getting a sim card for an iPad? Because I don't want some heavy fee, but the idea of celular when I'm deciding to work from a park for a day sounds great does mint or Google fi let me do this? (paying $5 to 10 a month for this feature sounds about right).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/jon_prosser/status/1303150728647671808?s=21

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Hope the iPad Air will still come in gold

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

LionArcher posted:

So I have cricket wireless for my phone, on a family plan, and it works fine. Is there a cheap way of getting a sim card for an iPad? Because I don't want some heavy fee, but the idea of celular when I'm deciding to work from a park for a day sounds great does mint or Google fi let me do this? (paying $5 to 10 a month for this feature sounds about right).

T-Mo data only plans start at $10.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

XBenedict posted:

T-Mo data only plans start at $10.

I have the $20 one and it works well enough.

Even if I blow through all my data I can still stream YouTube no problem.

It’s also nice that it’s a $20 flat fee so no extra taxes and poo poo on top.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple Event announced for September 15, 2020, 1 PM EDT.

'Time Flies'

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Binary Badger posted:

'Time Flies'

They’re throwing the watch out the window??

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

'Time Flies'

apple watch is now a personal pocket watch drone that hovers silently around you for two hours a day.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

'Time Flies'

Watch
+
iPad Air
+
maybe Macbook Air?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

mediaphage posted:

apple watch is now a personal pocket watch drone that hovers silently around you for two hours a day.

Will pay any price for an Apple Watch Ioun Stone

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

I want this. Spy on me Apple. Tell me what I want!!!

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

AlternateAccount posted:

"Hey Siri, cast Finger of Death"

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The important question is, does it give you one of the useful bonuses, or is it one of those lovely '+1 competence bonus to Linguistics checks' ioun stones?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Roadie posted:

The important question is, does it give you one of the useful bonuses, or is it one of those lovely '+1 competence bonus to Linguistics checks' ioun stones?

+2 languages, +2 knowledge, +50% save against instant death (auto 911), summon greater knowledge spirit 2x/day (phone a friend), eidetic memory, -2 charisma

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I’d like to buy an Official Apple usbc charger for my 11 inch iPad Pro and wanted to know if the 30w, 61w or 87w charger makes much of a difference to charging times. I can only find a comparison of the 12,18 and 61w. Do any of them come with a type C to type C Cable in the box?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 10, 2020

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don’t know for sure but I’d be very surprised if it could draw more than 30W. I wouldn’t bother going higher.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Here's the comparison w/the 61w charger:
https://www.inviolabs.com/blogs/news/new-ipad-pro2018-usb-c-fast-charging-test

quote:

Using the 61W USB-C PD charger that comes standard with the MacBook Pro to charge the new iPad Pro is another charging algorithm with a peak power of over 30W and a power platform between 27W and 30W.

3, the new iPad Pro maximum charging power up to 35W / 15V / 2.33A, power platform 27W ~ 30W;
So yeah 30w is fine. If you want to eke out every last bit (that extra 5w) I think the next step up is 45w chargers, although 60w ones seem more common. On the plus side there's the multi port ones at those wattages too so you can charge the iPad and phone or whatever stuff you got too off one plug.

fake edit: I see you wanted an an official charger, "Charging cable sold separately."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KingEup posted:

I’d like to buy an Official Apple usbc charger for my 11 inch iPad Pro and wanted to know if the 30w, 61w or 87w charger makes much of a difference to charging times. I can only find a comparison of the 12,18 and 61w. Do any of them come with a type C to type C Cable in the box?

None come with a cable.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

None come with a cable.

hahah that is the biggest loving bullshit and such an apple move. those cables are practically free for them at this point and everybody needs more.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Thanks ppl. Ended up with 61w one because that’s all they had in stock.

Money poorly spent for sure.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mediaphage posted:

hahah that is the biggest loving bullshit and such an apple move. those cables are practically free for them at this point and everybody needs more.

It's neither new nor remotely exclusive to Apple. Hardly anyone sells USB chargers (be they USB-C or USB-A) with a cable since the specific cable an individual wants can vary pretty widely (USB-C, Lightning, micro-USB, maybe USB-B in some weird application).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

It's neither new nor remotely exclusive to Apple. Hardly anyone sells USB chargers (be they USB-C or USB-A) with a cable since the specific cable an individual wants can vary pretty widely (USB-C, Lightning, micro-USB, maybe USB-B in some weird application).

i think it's an apple move when they charge as much as they do for the chargers. which i don't complain too much about because they're quality. it would be simplicity to let you pick a cable to toss in the bag alongside. i pay apple prices for everything else, an occasional free cable would make me feel better, that's all. i don't think it's a lot to ask for tbh.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Sorry if this has been done to death, but the thread is very long! I just grabbed an iPad Pro 12.9” and am looking for a decent, but reasonably priced case. A keyboard would be a big plus. Any recommendations?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I don’t have a 12.9 but I’ve been using the Logitech Slim Folio for several generations and they are great

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

Thanks ppl. Ended up with 61w one because that’s all they had in stock.

Money poorly spent for sure.
Depends how much you spent and if it's real :v:

(Normal price, too much! Cheap and from Amazon, probably fake!)

mediaphage posted:

i think it's an apple move when they charge as much as they do for the chargers. which i don't complain too much about because they're quality. it would be simplicity to let you pick a cable to toss in the bag alongside. i pay apple prices for everything else, an occasional free cable would make me feel better, that's all. i don't think it's a lot to ask for tbh.
It's a convenient combination of giving them extra margins and being environmentally friendly at the cost of consumer convenience. Included cables are nice but realistically I have enough at this point that most included ones are just extras I don't need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Apple chargers are literally the best engineered and cleanest outputting devices of their type on the market