Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And people say that rimworld does not have a realistic relationship simulation :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dudes getting grossly bent out of shape when a woman rejects their unwanted but repeated sexual advances is reality for most of us

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

That's called true love

I also used to have pawns that the day they would turn 18 they would get married to some 60 year old. :shrug:

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I've still seen some rejected x2 bad thoughts on occasion but it's definitely nowhere near the crippling depressive episodes colonists would wind themselves into hitting on everyone that crossed their path. Recently one colonist was trying to pick up the bride at her own wedding party, how that doesn't start a social fight I don't know.

I thought it was a little grim some random Knight sent the High Stellarch's mother to live with the 5 cannibal tribespeople eking out their first year but it turns out she's also a cannibal so this worked out great.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Somehow, with Psychology installed, I can’t get any of my pawns to stay in relationships and at best get like. One married couple per colony. Even with compatible sexualities.

But mostly they break up when one proposes and the other rejects them.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been using the new psypower Word of Love to play matchmaker. It helps if you have it on multiple casters so you can cast it on both targets for reciprocal opinion boosts during the 9 day duration.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Aesthetic Noses and Aesthetic Shaper mods are good if late game investments if you want people to pair up. +1 Beauty is the same as the Pretty quirk, with +2 Beauty being Beautiful. These become universal opinion bonuses.

It’s surprising how quick everyone finds true love when everyone is beautiful.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

I've been using the new psypower Word of Love to play matchmaker. It helps if you have it on multiple casters so you can cast it on both targets for reciprocal opinion boosts during the 9 day duration.

Yeah, the Words of.... are all a really powerful and neat tools that allow you to manipulate social situations of pawns to your benefit. In general a lot of the psycasts introduced in 1.2. are really fun to use and make it worth to maintain a noble or two just for the non-combat benefit. And as a bonus, an idyllic colony where all the peacefulness and harmony between its occupant is maintained by frequent and mandatory mind wipes is pretty much peak Rimworld.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Somehow, with Psychology installed, I can’t get any of my pawns to stay in relationships and at best get like. One married couple per colony. Even with compatible sexualities.

But mostly they break up when one proposes and the other rejects them.

With the loads of sliders on different thoughts, pawns really need to hit it off. I hit the same issue often with psychology, so what I try to do is make sure multiple long craft stations are close enough for conversations to be held. More conversations means more chances at finding out compatibility.

However I’m currently in year 6 and I’ve gained 3 couples within the past year as the pawns are finding who they hook up with.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My current colony has had a grand total of 1 relationship in like 5 years, owing to everyone being an incompatible mashup of sexualities, family relations, or being dumb robots. The only relationship was between a T3 android and a human, and lasted about a week before the human got ambushed on a caravan trip and died of infection. Tough luck, buddy.

But that's not what I'm here to post about. This is:

Playing with Vanilla Factions Expanded Insectoids, I got the special bug ship crash event at the same time as my tamer got inspired taming. My tamer also happens to be one of my better meleers, and managed to dodge and facetank the queen long enough to tame her. Didn't even lose any important parts.

Turns out she still births larva, which cocoon up and mutate into new forms, all the while staying loyal to my faction. I haven't timed this precisely yet but I think she's laying 2 a day, or slightly more. This is gonna get nuts.

edit: their AI is messed up, the larva won't stay in their designated zones and they just wander around the map at random. I also got a notice that my tribe was being attacked by people from... my tribe. Didn't see any actual signs of violence though not sure if its really related? Anyway I think I'll build a pen.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 2, 2020

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SugarAddict posted:

I still have pawns that get married to some royal clown that only stayed for 7 days or so and never did any work.

https://twitter.com/puppetmotel/status/1010326515932942338

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

SugarAddict posted:

I still have pawns that get married to some royal clown that only stayed for 7 days or so and never did any work.

As always, mods have solution. :v:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2028511550&searchtext=long+distance

If you have a pawn with relationship with someone outside of your colony (familial or romantic) this allows you to chat them up through console and either convince them to join your colony, or at least make them hate your pawn and break up.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Don't do the inspired taming on insectoid queens like I did in my last post, I loaded the game back up today and she and all her spawn still have passive AI, but they're marked as manhunters and I had to have my pawns kill them so they stopped disrupting the pawns' AI.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I have a pawn wandering around with no left leg, but I can't install apeg leg in her Health bills. However, earlier I had a pawn with a major infection, and I could install a peg leg on him under his health bills. Can you install a peg leg only before amputation?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have a pawn wandering around with no left leg, but I can't install apeg leg in her Health bills. However, earlier I had a pawn with a major infection, and I could install a peg leg on him under his health bills. Can you install a peg leg only before amputation?

Do you have any prosthetics mods? The one I'm using makes you actually build or buy a Peg Leg before you can install it, whereas I recall in Vanilla you didn't have to do that. Is it possible that you had a peg leg in your inventory earlier and now you don't? In Vanilla you also need to have some Wood, which is another thing you can check

I definitely installed two peg legs on a person who had them amputated recently by a mechanoid

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Do you have the 1 wood needed to do the operation?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Do you have the 1 wood needed to do the operation?

Bingo to both of you; I'm out of wood. Thanks.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In this prosthetics mod there are also eye patches and hook hands, in case you want everyone to be a pirate

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just needs a prosthetic car door and you can achieve the dream of self actualization to become man door hand hook car door.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There's also a bunch of Surrogate organs that have lower tech and material requirements and cute descriptions. Apparently the Surrogate Stomach generates a lot of farts so if you want to prevent your hook handed eye patched pawn from terrorizing teenagers trying to make out in a sedan just give them a surrogate stomach so that everyone will hear/smell them coming

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

QuarkJets posted:

There's also a bunch of Surrogate organs that have lower tech and material requirements and cute descriptions. Apparently the Surrogate Stomach generates a lot of farts so if you want to prevent your hook handed eye patched pawn from terrorizing teenagers trying to make out in a sedan just give them a surrogate stomach so that everyone will hear/smell them coming

Ah the famous tail of the Hook handed squeaker

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Jelly posted:

Cobra Kai just graduated from Youtube to Netflix, I have been watching it.

Season 1, Episode 5, ~28:45 in. Daniel-son cleaning out the dojo.

The music is ***SOOOOOO*** Rimworld. I did not have Rimworld on my mind. Was nagging at me and when I realized it, it hit like a ton of bricks.

Not to quote myself but this literally happens again at Season 2, Episode 6, ~25:00 in. Different track, also Rimworld.

I'm no longer convinced this is coincidence.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Thanks to you guys' help, my third start is actually thriving. I actually have too much food, all my operations are thriving, all my dudes are wearing gear so that their comfortable temperature range is -20F-110F, I just built a high-tech research station, it's great. I actually hit the point yesterday where I realized the thing I most had to do was rationalize my base design and do some rebuilds (the food freezer is literally the furthest walk possible from the front door to my grow zones) and actually start planning defensive fortifications. I'm running a decent early profit scheme where I just make a bunch of dusters, take them to the nearest trading outpost, and come home with as much steel as my pack animals can haul. I'm doing great!

I had one guy who was an utter waste, his social skills were through the roof but he had Gigolo so he'd do no useful labor whatsoever. So I designated him my caravaneer and sent him off on trading runs, and when the local rear end in a top hat tribe called for peace negotiations I sent him to that too. Talks broke down, they attacked, and even though dude was a melee beast and I'd sent him armed, he did not survive the fight. Oh well, no great loss.

What are good melee weapons, though? What stats should I look for?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think the best base game melee weapon period is the longsword?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Plasteel longsword or Uranium mace, yeah. Mace is probably better in the endgame since most armor has less blunt resistance than sharp resistance, but in practice it's not too big a difference. Obviously if you have the royalty DLC the monoswords and such beat those out but you can't craft them.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I checked the OP hoping to get some mod suggestions, but it got started a while back.

Does anyone have any recommendations for mods that compliment the vanilla+royalty experience, but aren't ridiculously overpowered?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I checked the OP hoping to get some mod suggestions, but it got started a while back.

Does anyone have any recommendations for mods that compliment the vanilla+royalty experience, but aren't ridiculously overpowered?

The Vanilla Expanded series is good.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Replace Stuff -- do not play Rimworld without it! Automates the tear-it-down put-something-else-in cycle so you can just put a door in a wall, walk away, and rest assured that the dupes won't have left that gaping hole there because you forgot to come in and put back the new thing.

ZITools: Trying to figure out where that tiny weapon your character dropped on account of being nearly dead is? Pop up the search window and put in its name. Also handy for when you're starving to death and want to figure out where the animals are. You have to get this one from Github. https://github.com/MaxZiCode/ZiTools

Avoid Friendly Fire: What it says on the tin.

No Forced Slowdown: Tired of waiting for real-world minutes because somebody's attacking from the bottom left of the screen? Here's your fix.

Heavier-handed:

EdB Prepare Carefully -- keeps you from rerolling initial pawns for an hour. You can set it to enforce having no more character points than the pawn originally had. I use it light-handedly; I reroll only the drawbacks field until it's at the same points but isn't a pyro/etc. I don't manually set anything.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I set up a custom scenario that's literally exactly the standard three colonist start but literally everyone in the game is gay. It's nice, as An Gay myself.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, i use prepare carefully to basically just be like "oh, hey, this pawn is actually pretty good but man i do not want to deal with pyromaniac on my initial 3. oh well one click to fix that"

you don't need to make superpawns right out the gate and it makes it easy to just go with the default random with a bit more agency on your part. you can also just save a group of survivors so if you want to restart you just can, really quick and easy.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

showbiz_liz posted:

I set up a custom scenario that's literally exactly the standard three colonist start but literally everyone in the game is gay. It's nice, as An Gay myself.

"Set Forced Trait: Gay"

This is the end result of the Homosexual Agenda!!!!!

That's awesome.

Asimo posted:

Plasteel longsword or Uranium mace, yeah. Mace is probably better in the endgame since most armor has less blunt resistance than sharp resistance, but in practice it's not too big a difference. Obviously if you have the royalty DLC the monoswords and such beat those out but you can't craft them.

Mace vs. longsword depends on some uses too - if you have colonists you know you are going to have near your prison for jailbreaks, mace is less likely to just chop off limbs.

Also, a +1 to the Vanilla Expanded series. I think that the Apparel is a bit bloated, Laser weapons seem interesting but I'm content with the charge series, the added animals I'm kinda meh on (I prefer Alpha Animals), and the Sushi/Stews I think add a bit more bloat than interesting things.

I also advise Giddy Up! to everyone for their caravanning (and HOLY gently caress THAT TRIBAL IS ON A TYRANNOSAURUS) needs.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I don't remember for sure what exact Vanilla Expanded mod has this, but the whole series is worth it alone for the garbage bins that passively clear dirt and trash in the surrounding area.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I recently found out that Tought-trait brawler with the armorskin, exoskeleton, blood coagulatior, persona zeushammer, prestige cataphract armor and legendary personal shield basically can solo anything that Randy throws at it. And walk to the sickbay to patch up the rest of the strike team.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

How much mileage have people gotten out of armorskin/etc? I've been really torn on them because armor is such a capricious thing in this game and the movement penalties HURT, but by the same token, pawn protection is generally the best investment you can make.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Coolguye posted:

How much mileage have people gotten out of armorskin/etc? I've been really torn on them because armor is such a capricious thing in this game and the movement penalties HURT, but by the same token, pawn protection is generally the best investment you can make.

Armorskin and its lesser variants seem very good investment for the alpha strike melee component, provided that their day job isn't something that requires excessive amounts of travel. Give them a royal degree with all call in reinforcements -options and orbital strike and they can basically solo most events below the end-endgame line with any power armor.

Edit: especially if the pawn also has the Tough-ability which halves all damage to begin with.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I give everyone toughskin gland because it has the lowest penalty but still makes civilians in high quality clothing pretty tanky.

I often start a game with 3 named super pawns but who will also always be frontline fighters. Just to see how long they last and what roles they have after 60 or so in game years.

Sadly the game throws so many resurrect and healer mech serums at me that they are as healthy at age 80 as at age 20.

Before serums, pawns would change roles in the colony based on aptitude and various disabilities. Like a pawn that started as a kitchen sink surgeon at 15 could go on to become a drop pod strike team field medic and then retire as a civilian colony doctor.

It would probably have been more balanced if healer serums were rarer and resurrection side effects more common.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

looking at it again i guess Toughskin is only a 5% movement speed decrease with literally nothing else. if the pawn in question has bionic legs they're still a bit faster than normal. walks are still gonna kill you slowly, but rather a slow killer than an instant killer, i guess.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you get dual bionic legs and a bionic heart, the pawn with tough skin can wear cataphract armor all day and be the same as a naked non-mod human.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

They also make endgame melee pawns legible, because earlier the vanilla(ish) game had a huge plateau of power projection for the player after hitting uranium turrets and assault rifles, with no workaround tactic besides lucking into certain traders having super gear options. The other factions can throw away pawns in melee while you cannot being the basic problem. And you need melee pawns because the game has set its mind on ranged being seriously nerfed against real life.

Usually this was also way before the endgame began, so with the vanilla(ish) games you really needed to know beforehand what you want to build so that the colony value was not too much above your capability to project power against raiding enemies.

Vanilla(ish) being hospitality, endless core drill, huge stacks, psychology and the associated library stuff.

EDIT: And the "sapper raids" should be loving illegal. Goddamn I hate those. There should be at least some late-tech wall which cannot be dug out by sappers, or something that would take ages.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

"Set Forced Trait: Gay"

This is the end result of the Homosexual Agenda!!!!!

That's awesome.

Mace vs. longsword depends on some uses too - if you have colonists you know you are going to have near your prison for jailbreaks, mace is less likely to just chop off limbs.

Also, a +1 to the Vanilla Expanded series. I think that the Apparel is a bit bloated, Laser weapons seem interesting but I'm content with the charge series, the added animals I'm kinda meh on (I prefer Alpha Animals), and the Sushi/Stews I think add a bit more bloat than interesting things.

I also advise Giddy Up! to everyone for their caravanning (and HOLY gently caress THAT TRIBAL IS ON A TYRANNOSAURUS) needs.

I like stews mostly because they allow you to feed pawns human and insect meat without penalties.

Kibble can also do that, but for animals, but I tend to keep more herbivores as domestic animals than omnivores or carnivores.