Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

I hate how the news media describes everything as “controversial”.

Is drinking bleach “controversial”? Is ethnic cleansing “controversial”?

One of the big "Oops we're all hosed" moments of realisation I had was back in April when Trump made the comments about injecting disinfectant and some news pundit was interviewing a White House medical spokesman about it and the guy flat out refused to say that injecting bleach was a bad idea and instead said something like "Consult a medical professional about which treatment is best for you"

E: the media were also caught on the back foot LOL
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1253719616603541504

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Zmej posted:

buddy do i have bad news for you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_Party_(Germany)#The_Enabling_Act

the centrists had and will have no problems siding with far-right and fascism

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...etType=REGIWALL

ah balls, how did I forget about nazi germany, thanks goonsir/madam

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Did anyone elses city talk mad poo poo about taking advantage of the non-existent traffic in March/April to fix and upgrade road systems only to tear everything the gently caress up, leave it and then make traffic 10x worse?

There are entire lanes and turn lanes here that were completely destroyed and then filled with orange barrels and I haven't seen a work crew in 2 months.

Rectal Death Adept fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 31, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Did anyone elses city talk mad poo poo about taking advantage of the non-existent traffic in March/April to fix and upgrade road systems only to tear everything the gently caress up, leave it and then make traffic 10x worse?

There are entire lanes and turn lanes here that were completely destroyed and then filled with orange barrels and I haven't seen a work crew in 2 months.

They did here, but to their credit they really did patch up a lot of bad potholes.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Our city actually followed through and at least one major project is ahead of schedule because of it.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I work in infrastructure protection and can say that, at least here, some commercial projects are ahead of schedule and underground utility damages are down while homeowner digging requests are way up (people stuck at home doing projects). Sounds like your local guys kind of suck.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Orlando's roads look nothing like they did 6 months ago. They've moved forward on the I-4 Ultimate project (revitalizing our main interstate) by over a year since the pandemic started, leaving them only 2 years behind on the 10 year project. Every major surface road has been repaved. They even took the opportunity to replace some of our aging wastewater transport and treatment systems so the city is actually below capacity and not running "emergency" pumps 24/7 just to move poop.

Of course all this is great for the people who stayed, but Covid has also deflated our population like a bounce house at a slasher convention. The parks shutting down, then coming back and doing basically no business has resulted in an up to 40% population drop in some areas. Apartments are emptying out in a halo surrounding the parks and this has changed the face of Orlando forever.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Zmej posted:

the centrists had and will have no problems siding with far-right and fascism
All it takes for evil to win is for enough good people to stand by and do nothing. That’s either from Winston Churchill or some SyFy poo poo movie.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

St. Louis chiming in, and they've actually done a load of road work here too. I mean, I've been driving to the office every day this entire time so it's still holding me up some, but they have really completely a lot of projects along my commute.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

HerStuddMuffin posted:

All it takes for evil to win is for enough good people to stand by and do nothing. That’s either from Winston Churchill or some SyFy poo poo movie.

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

That would be Edmund Burke, the father of conservatism.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Speaking of traffic, has anyone else noticed way, way more people are driving like assholes on the road than usual? Despite slightly fewer cars on the road overall, I find way more people blowing past at 30 or more over the speed limit, cutting people off, aggressively weaving in and out of traffic. I guess some people are so desperately trying to convince themselves that Coronavirus is a hoax that they're determined to choose another cause of death.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

That would be Edmund Burke, the father of conservatism.

Who would probably be incredibly confused at what we call conservative now.

"They live in denial of the plague? They voice their discontent by carrying firearms into the halls of your state's congress?!?!?"

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Xenocides posted:

Who would probably be incredibly confused at what we call conservative now.

"They live in denial of the plague? They voice their discontent by carrying firearms into the halls of your state's congress?!?!?"

Conservatives now are radicals. Buckley, Goldwater et al are spinning in their graves right now.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Time_pants posted:

Speaking of traffic, has anyone else noticed way, way more people are driving like assholes on the road than usual? Despite slightly fewer cars on the road overall, I find way more people blowing past at 30 or more over the speed limit, cutting people off, aggressively weaving in and out of traffic. I guess some people are so desperately trying to convince themselves that Coronavirus is a hoax that they're determined to choose another cause of death.

I'm an essential employee who has been in the office every day since this all started. At the beginning, the freeways were empty so all the street racing idiots started having drag races on the interstate in broad daylight. It got so bad I was certain one of these assholes was going to kill me before coronavirus would.

Traffic is about back to normal here (Seattle-Tacoma) so I haven't seen any more racing for a while.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

In the UK the driving is about normal. For awhile people seemed politer but I think now most people 'feel' like covid19 is over (it's not) we've gone back to being rude and hating each other.

Today was a bit crazy but it was a bank holiday Monday and all the weird people, who I'd only have to suffer during commute hours, were out making GBS threads up the roads with their garbage driving.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Tucson AZ here and yes, I think its because people are scared and angry over *waves vaguely at everything*

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I think some portion of people always drove like speed racing assholes, the density of traffic just didn’t really allow them to act on it as much before. You’d always get those people trying to weave around cars at full speed but normally they run out of gaps to jump into after 3-4 car lengths. With more spacing they just keep going.

If anything I’m surprised how slow some people drive in the left lane when nobody else is setting pace. Usually I set cruise control at 80 for open roads so I don’t get flagged, but there’ll be cars in the fast lane doing 70 or 60 with a conga line forming behind them.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

tear everything the gently caress up, leave it and then make traffic 10x worse?

As usual, but what's that have to do with coronavirus?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

yook posted:

I think some portion of people always drove like speed racing assholes, the density of traffic just didn’t really allow them to act on it as much before. You’d always get those people trying to weave around cars at full speed but normally they run out of gaps to jump into after 3-4 car lengths. With more spacing they just keep going.

If anything I’m surprised how slow some people drive in the left lane when nobody else is setting pace. Usually I set cruise control at 80 for open roads so I don’t get flagged, but there’ll be cars in the fast lane doing 70 or 60 with a conga line forming behind them.
Yeah I would agree with this. Here in the SF Bay Area, it was almost always impossible to drive like a maniac (motorcyclists that zip between cars notwithstanding) because the roads were usually so clogged up. Not now! :buddy:

Traffic still hasn't really rebounded either. Pre-pandemic, no traffic meant a 25-minute commute for me while heavy traffic meant 90+ minutes. During peak lockdown, it was always 25 minutes. Now heavy traffic = 40 minutes at worst.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

yook posted:

There's ample data that accident and fatality rates are generally up across the US. Even accounting for fewer miles being driven, it's around a 10% or more increase most places.

This from March; April was worse -

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2020/05/22/motor-vehicle-fatality-rates-up-14-percent-in-march-despite-covid19.aspx

In some locations fatalities have doubled over last year. Drive safe and keep your eyes peeled for reckless drivers.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

greazeball posted:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Evil triumphs, because they have successfully sold the idea that Good is nice.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/WLWT/status/1300874333947146241?s=20

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
lmao Illinois State University says "hold my beer. and hand me another beer" with over 1,000 cases, about 5% of all enrolled students. It more than quintupled our county positivity rate, and we had under 20 cases in early August.

Related: I am currently in line to get tested.

https://twitter.com/WGLTNews/status/1300820782239690752?s=19

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

greazeball posted:

i like that quote in fargo

its not evil that's the problem. it's the good. because without the good, who would care.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

lmao Illinois State University says "hold my beer. and hand me another beer" with over 1,000 cases, about 5% of all enrolled students. It more than quintupled our county positivity rate, and we had under 20 cases in early August.

Related: I am currently in line to get tested.

https://twitter.com/WGLTNews/status/1300820782239690752?s=19

I remember when ISU stood for I Screwed Up.

yook posted:

That should be on the state flag of either Minnesota or Wisconsin. Or both.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

So my tiny state in my tiny place of the world is finally beating covid!! We went from 24 people dying daily to 1 in 24 hours!! holy poo poo!!!! ffffffffffffffffffuuucckk yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Take that first world!! HAHA!!

And yeah, that was loving sarcasm because the authorities are tampering with the numbers because they want to urgently open up everything and kill everyone. Rumors in the street is that lots of people are still dying, that they stopped doing a lot of testing, and some others are deciding to treat themselves in their homes instead of going to a doctor or getting a test. We probably just reached the "Meh, we don't give a gently caress and we won't hide it" phase.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/KimandOscar/status/1300436175753224193

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

So my tiny state in my tiny place of the world is finally beating covid!! We went from 24 people dying daily to 1 in 24 hours!! holy poo poo!!!! ffffffffffffffffffuuucckk yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! Take that first world!! HAHA!!

And yeah, that was loving sarcasm because the authorities are tampering with the numbers because they want to urgently open up everything and kill everyone. Rumors in the street is that lots of people are still dying, that they stopped doing a lot of testing, and some others are deciding to treat themselves in their homes instead of going to a doctor or getting a test. We probably just reached the "Meh, we don't give a gently caress and we won't hide it" phase.

Do you think the reported number of cases for the capital and capital region look correct? The list I'm looking at has the capital region 2nd in total infections and the next ten states below that are around 200 cases less than the state above it. That looks... suspicious.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

madeintaipei posted:

Do you think the reported number of cases for the capital and capital region look correct? The list I'm looking at has the capital region 2nd in total infections and the next ten states below that are around 200 cases less than the state above it. That looks... suspicious.

We were/are third-second place in infections. Reaching nearly 600 positives a day. Suddenly in the span of one week the numbers went down to 200, and one week in 24 hours went from 195-ish to 80. They are definitely hiding numbers. I mean, this is the place were our governor didn't close down anything until his friends that were in vacations on Colorado came back (infected).

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lol America is insane. All of this is insane.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Time_pants posted:

In April and May I saw many packs of V8 pony cars driving fast on the relatively empty highways. Lack of traffic and super cheap gas made it a popular activity.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Machine posted:

There's ample data that accident and fatality rates are generally up across the US. Even accounting for fewer miles being driven, it's around a 10% or more increase most places.

This from March; April was worse -

https://ohsonline.com/articles/2020/05/22/motor-vehicle-fatality-rates-up-14-percent-in-march-despite-covid19.aspx

In some locations fatalities have doubled over last year. Drive safe and keep your eyes peeled for reckless drivers.

So this is where that supposed insurance savings from reduced miles is going, right?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

There Bias Two posted:

If you look at it, this door is in a school in Scotland

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

If you look at it, this door is in a school in Scotland

Double, double, toil and trouble;
Here's Anne Whateley to burst your bubble!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

There Bias Two posted:

maybe you should go back to high school English like the pictured classroom if you don’t get why that’s funny

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I teach at u of sc and I would say based on what my students tell me things are trending downhill really fast. Some of them are living in houses with 8 of their friends where all of them are suffering through high grade fevers

LMAO 26% positive

https://sc.edu/safety/coronavirus/dashboard/index.php

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

Thou sodden-witted lord! Thou hast no more brain than I have in mine elbows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

food court bailiff posted:

maybe you should go back to high school English like the pictured classroom if you don’t get why that’s funny

You can know the context of that quote and still think America is insane due to the fact that the teacher felt the need to even paint that on the door to begin with