Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone know how to see when a truce you have is due to end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

the event chain you get where you attempt to give a rousing speech to your fellas before/during a war is brutal. now of course I don't have to choose the option to dive into the melee after my speech pisses everyone off, but that wouldn't be in the spirit of the family imo. I've lost two characters and gotten wounded every other time I did that

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Gort posted:

Anyone know how to see when a truce you have is due to end?

go to your character profile and look towards the right side, there's a Diplomacy section. hover over whichever crest has the truce flag and it'll give you the deets

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

twice in a row now ive had my rulers die unexpectedly (one from a botched cure, one succumbing to injuries) and had the ensuing succession be an absolute messy quagmire. I need better heir discipline

is there a particularly good tutorial on wars? for some reason I find myself on the losing end of a lot of battles after not playing ck2 for a long time

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Time to unleash my inner Roger a Muirebe!

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

fuf posted:

Once you form the Kingdom of Ireland shouldn't all the petty kingdoms turn into regular duchies?

"Petty Kingdom" is just what the duchies are called. It's a flavor thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So if I want to start from a smallish place where I won't have to go to war immediately, is there a start you recommend? I want to master the mechanics before it's all war all the time.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So if I want to start from a smallish place where I won't have to go to war immediately, is there a start you recommend? I want to master the mechanics before it's all war all the time.

Ireland is generally the sandbox.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've tried a couple different starting points just to see how things are - Ireland, Spain, Poland - and so far, it has been all war all the time. AI seems a lot more willing to be aggressive than in past games

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

play as a vassal inside of a larger realm. if there is a war, it won't be you at the helm, you only have to send off your levies and hope they come back

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Can I change my goverment from Tribal to Feudal, if so how?

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
I feel like I'm missing something obvious but can't figure out what.

How do I set my councilors out doing tasks? I got it to work for my bishop by clicking on the Fabricate Claim button on his picture in the council page and then clicking the place I want him to work on getting the claim on and it popped up a thing on the bottom of how much time he has left working on that. But when I tried the same on the others - for example, the steward for collecting taxes or the marshal for organizing levies - nothing seems to happen.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

ElTacoGato posted:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious but can't figure out what.

How do I set my councilors out doing tasks? I got it to work for my bishop by clicking on the Fabricate Claim button on his picture in the council page and then clicking the place I want him to work on getting the claim on and it popped up a thing on the bottom of how much time he has left working on that. But when I tried the same on the others - for example, the steward for collecting taxes or the marshal for organizing levies - nothing seems to happen.

some of the options will require you to set a county, and some are just generalized and your councilor doesn't need to be assigned anywhere to get to work

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah most of the top options are just passive.

Also I was going Ireland in the 800 start and it turned into a Norse Thunderdome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Ireland is generally the sandbox.

Ireland is the microcosm. There'll be just as much war, it'll just be smaller wars.

In CK2 I would have suggested a merchant republic but they're not yet playable in CK3. Without that option I would agree with luxury handset that being a vassal is the best place to be. The best situation would be a duke-level title in the Holy Roman Empire or the Abbasid blob - the Muslim duke just south of Afghanistan used to be an amazingly safe place to be because the Indians never seemed to come west, but that may have changed.

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

some of the options will require you to set a county, and some are just generalized and your councilor doesn't need to be assigned anywhere to get to work

queeb posted:

Yeah most of the top options are just passive.

Oh, good to know! I knew it would be something so simple it just went straight over my head. :downs: Thanks.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh, holy poo poo, there's a built in "Switch character" button. Built right into the game this time.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Can I change my goverment from Tribal to Feudal, if so how?

go to Decisions (default bind F8, it's the feather & ink icon on the far right) and it should say Adopt Feudal Ways under Major Decisions at or near the bottom. if you click it, it'll tell you the requirements

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Furnaceface posted:

You sound exactly like me. Play the tutorial. There are a lot of new or changed things that you wont really pick up on by just jumping in.

Yeah, it's worth doing the tutorial, if only to see the interface changes and where the various buttons are now. It's not that long.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Rosendo is going to own christians so hard with his facts and logic

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Ok, how the gently caress do I arrange a marriage? I have like 1500 hours in CK2 and I thought I’d install this and be conquering the world in no time, but I haven’t gotten past the first week.

I have the “arrange marriage” screen open with my character on one side, but I can’t figure out how to fill in the blank recipient section. All of the potential spouses are listed, but clicking/right-clicking on their portraits doesn’t do anything or present any relevant options. What incredibly obvious thing am I missing here?

edit: wow I’m dumb. Can’t believe I was foiled this easily, this doesn’t bode well for me

wizardofloneliness fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 2, 2020

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Bold Robot posted:

Killer. Please keep the thread (or at least me) posted! :thumbsup:

Just reporting back that it runs really well. It's a bit sluggish when moving around the map super zoomed in but that's just nit picky poo poo. It runs well enough to play for thousands of hours.

The hotkeys are a mystery other than wasd though :/

I think v does something. I wish I could just freaking keybind!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alfred of Wessex trip report: lol the saxon elective succession law is such a loving trap, don't take it. The description was worded empathizing how it would avoid splitting the realm so I thought it would negate the partition system but lol nope. It just turns king title alone into an elective title, and all of your counties/duchies still fall under the old succession law. So basically that decision doesn't do anything other than make you work to make sure your dynasty stays in power.

edit: I'd also like a word with whoever decided that the player heir only getting one county while your brothers split your other 7 was an "equal" split.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Ok, how the gently caress do I arrange a marriage? I have like 1500 hours in CK2 and I thought I’d install this and be conquering the world in no time, but I haven’t gotten past the first week.

I have the “arrange marriage” screen open with my character on one side, but I can’t figure out how to fill in the blank recipient section. All of the potential spouses are listed, but clicking/right-clicking on their portraits doesn’t do anything or present any relevant options. What incredibly obvious thing am I missing here?

Click the info box to the right of their portraits.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 2, 2020

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

How the hell do you change which county is your primary holding? I ended up having a different one than the one I wanted as my capital, and I don't know how to change it, it's driving me nuts.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Either I'm missing something (very possible) or there's some bug with levy replenishment. I've repeatedly gotten stuck at roughly half levies with no replenishment at all, then later after a war it'll fill right up to max just fine.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How do I wipe out armies? They just keep escaping. I feel that I remember this being an issue in ck2 or eu4

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost

Should I start an affair with this pervert. Game is good.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

How do I wipe out armies? They just keep escaping. I feel that I remember this being an issue in ck2 or eu4

You can't, unless they're already very depleted. There are some traits that increase fatal casualties though, so you can kill more each battle.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So uh, the only options here are to either pretend like this never happened, or to imprison the daughter? Hello?? What about the dad who has seemingly been raping his own daughter???

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

WilliamAnderson posted:

How the hell do you change which county is your primary holding? I ended up having a different one than the one I wanted as my capital, and I don't know how to change it, it's driving me nuts.

If you click on a holding that isn't your primary holding, there should be a (honestly not that visible) icon that lets you set it as your capital/primary.
It could have benefitted from a more obvious button, as opposed to what looks like a flat-color icon.

Also I think you can only do it once per ruler lifetime.

Jarvisi posted:

The only surefire way of nuking an army is to overpower them so much that you KO-them during the 'early battle' stage, otherwise they'll be scattering all over the place.
Sometimes it doesn't matter too much though, because their retreats can be insanely long sometimes.

e: But yeah, as Swedish Horror mentioned, there are some traits/perks that boost the mortality rate of the enemy, which significantly cuts down their numbers.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So uh, the only options here are to either pretend like this never happened, or to imprison the daughter? Hello?? What about the dad who has seemingly been raping his own daughter???

Moral double standards in favor of men. If you look up the catholicism rules you'll find that adultery for men is simply shunned, while it's criminal for women. (Thus, it's something you can imprison -her- over, but not him.)
The incest aspect they mostly gloss over. But make sure to punish that 'vile temptress' leading that 'poor man astray'.

Atleast I think that's why it's like that.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 2, 2020

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Also, holy crap where did my day go. I got my bare minimum work done for the day, decided to fire up the game just to try it out over lunch, and six hours completely vanished. Including forgetting to actually eat lunch.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
So how the heck did I just become a bastard founder without creating a cadet branch?

I started off with the tutorial and etc just because Ireland was familiar anyway, ended up High King, Crusades declared (speaking of which the crusade mechanics are a shitload better and it's not just a curbstomp of arriving stacks by a doomstack anymore). I go over, pick a youngish dynasty member to be overridden preferred beneficiary or whatever, end up getting the Kingdom of Jerusalem. Cool. I swap over to that for a bit. Second Crusade declared and again I pick a young dynasty member with a decent martial skill so I can spread my dynasty all over the holy lands even if I end up losing those territories later. We win, I swap to the new King of Syria. All seems good so far.

All of the sudden I get a bunch of notifications including one telling me I am the new head of the dynasty? :confused: And I've gained the trait "Bastard Founder" which I've never seen in CK2. Thing is I'm pretty sure this character wasn't a bastard?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the High King of Ireland had some event pop that allowed the option of disowning me or something. Maybe one of them suspected illegitimate activity-type things? It's strange because this character's parents aren't very closely related at all, one generation and several degrees of separation removed from the current head of the previous dynasty.

Fake edit: Uhhh just realized the entire original dynasty has now completely converted to "insular Christianity" which Catholics consider a heresy and since we're literal Crusader Kings I imagine that might be what did it all the sudden. Just weird that it slapped "Bastard Founder" on me rather than a Cadet Branch Founder one or something more along those lines.

Anyway, carry on. Game owns.

real edit: actually scratch that, the same character I originally switched from is still High King of Ireland and orthodox Catholic, it's just the deceased (ex-)dynasty members that are all listed as "Insular Christian" now, also weird but whatever. So back to figuring out what the gently caress just happened.

edit2: only thing I can figure out is that I may have lost connection with the dynasty because my dynasty head was too far away to interact with now, whereas that wasn't an issue in the Kingdom of Jerusalem. :iiam:

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 2, 2020

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Also have a weird bug with raiding. Doing tribal Start and if you raid someone and then get they attack you, if you fight them off you can't go right back to raiding. You just sit there until you move off, raid somewhere else and come back

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
"Chasing" type troops like light cavalry will also help you kill enemies as they retreat

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, five hours disappeared here. Barely managed to remember to take a break for dinner.

Game is great, though a little confusing since I skipped the tutorial, but trial and error (and a lot of headbutting) is the way forward. Though the map is a clusterfuck. It's barely 900 and already Norway is split between Bavaria, Algiers, Russia, Burgundy, Sweden, and my duchy of Vestlond (land?), which I have to keep fighting for every time my ruler dies. Oh, you died? Well, now your sister controls Agder, and your aunt controls Bergen, but hey, at least you've got Majorca and Connacht. o_O

My borders are messy, and I love it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, goddamn the 800-s start is such a blood churn. :allears:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

how do i raise vassal levies none of my tribal vassals are fighting

e I made an ally my vassal and now he never contributes any troops is that intended?

e2: is there any way to make the middle screen banners gently caress off or close them?

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 2, 2020

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
But really the emphasis of the game is not reducing enemy troops to zero. Break the army, siege holdings and enforce your demands > spending forever chasing retreats.

If you have the numbers you can split your army, siege with one and defend/pursue if it is necessary

I guess one advantage to chasing down armies is getting prisoners or wounding commanders

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Willfrey posted:

But really the emphasis of the game is not reducing enemy troops to zero. Break the army, siege holdings and enforce your demands > spending forever chasing retreats.

If you have the numbers you can split your army, siege with one and defend/pursue if it is necessary

I guess one advantage to chasing down armies is getting prisoners or wounding commanders

This is bad advice imo. Defeating armies gives lots of war score, and if you let them live, they'll just counter-siege you and cancel out your warscore while also reducing your control over your land. It's better to just kill them outright and then lay siege to their land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is bad advice imo. Defeating armies gives lots of war score, and if you let them live, they'll just counter-siege you and cancel out your warscore while also reducing your control over your land. It's better to just kill them outright and then lay siege to their land.

You are right if the armies are large enough to siege your holdings, I guess my answer is in context of Ireland where when unifying the isle most battles are one-and-done