Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Not sure why bother with AMD cards if they don't have raytracing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

movax posted:

So the idea in the hybrids is to watercool GPU, air cool VRM/RAM, and then the other hybrid is a full waterblock?

I think all hybrids will water cool the GPU but air cool the memory. The Kingpin just looks to be some sort of factory overclock that requires beefier cooling systems to function.
The waterblock card appears to be separate.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Selection "Canada" on the location selector just gives you United States, so... thanks Nvidia? I guess I'll just multiply all prices by 1.3.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

the AMD cards coming soon-ish will have raytracing

we just don't know how fast it will be relative to ampere

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

console games having to run on AMD cards means that most PC ports are going to be anchored to AMD features

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MikeC posted:

Some people are legitimately screwed over. 5700XT was a great example. The mainstream reviewers never had issues on their setups. I had occasional black screens until the big Xmas update. For a small minority of people, problems continue to persist. There is a dude on Youtube that consistently tests every single release beta or otherwise and can report bugs on one setup or another.

Yes, but they obviously fixed that for RDNA 2 since it the APU can fit on a 300W package of which the GPU can only get a portion of that. So unless you have magic information that we don't that says they can't keep the same efficiency when scaling past 56 CUs at the XBOX clock speeds then you are really just blowing smoke.

Given the amount of reliable information available right now, any claims made by anyone is just "blowing smoke." But I'd feel pretty confident betting that performance will not scale linearly with power consumption, and I'd also be pretty confident that rdna2 won't beat ampere in efficiency.

edit: most of that SOC power will be consumed by the GPU as well, probably putting it close to 200W, and on top of that, we don't actually really know what the gaming performance even is. Extrapolating that RDNA2 is somehow "fixed" based on the consoles doesn't track.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 2, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

shrike82 posted:

console games having to run on AMD cards means that most PC ports are going to be anchored to AMD features

ding ding ding

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Part of becoming an older engineer for me was realizing that it comes back to $$ and who's going to pay people to do poo poo, not what is technically "the best". No money to pay developers to add NVIDIA only features means it won't happen. Subsidies, lowering the cost of adding those features (e.g., getting it into Unreal Engine) should all help, but until a compelling case occurs to implement those features, developers are going focus their limited time on what matters.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Encrypted posted:

The 3950x with 2 extra cores and costing 200 bucks more than the 10900k, but just barely squeezes out a few more frames in some games or get beaten/having equal performance in dx12 means the 3950x isn't really a great buy.

3950x isn't a great buy but it does have 6 extra cores, not 2.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
We laughed at his jar of spatulas, but look at us now, hyped that he was hiding it behind there the whole time. And then the oven... :discourse:

I'm actually considering a 3080 now. I don't even need that kind of power, but look at that price!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the dumbest thing about the 3950X is getting a 16C CPU with only 24 lanes

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Symetrique posted:

Anyone have experience with preordering from Microcenter? Wondering if trying to get a card through them will be easier than directly through Nvidia.

In my past experience, there is no such thing as pre-ordering from MC - you cross your fingers when you see in-stock notifications, memorize when they get shipments, or bribe a clerk to hold one for you.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Freakazoid_ posted:

We laughed at his jar of spatulas, but look at us now, hyped that he was hiding it behind there the whole time. And then the oven... :discourse:

mock MY spatulas, will they... :smug:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MikeC posted:

Some people are legitimately screwed over. 5700XT was a great example. The mainstream reviewers never had issues on their setups. I had occasional black screens until the big Xmas update. For a small minority of people, problems continue to persist. There is a dude on Youtube that consistently tests every single release beta or otherwise and can report bugs on one setup or another.

Yes, but they obviously fixed that for RDNA 2 since it the APU can fit on a 300W package of which the GPU can only get a portion of that. So unless you have magic information that we don't that says they can't keep the same efficiency when scaling past 56 CUs at the XBOX clock speeds then you are really just blowing smoke.

Multiple mainstream reviewed reported crashes, it just wasnt apparent from the handful of reviews and limited testing how widespread and persistent it was.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Just a quick tally again-
Who plans to get a reference card for the long run and who's going AIB?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm planning on going reference. For how my case's cooling is set up it should work very well. I have my AIO radiator paired with a push/pull setup as my intake, that air will go to the GPU, the hot air will then go out the back of the GPU or get sucked up by my back exhaust, the hot air shouldn't effect the CPU as much as it does know when the hot air gets recirculated in the case much more.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

depends on the thermal/noise reviews
nvidia's talking big about their new cooling system but the AIBs have a lot more experience with effective cooling systems

lays out everything in a table

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

mock MY spatulas, will they... :smug:

i still can't believe none of us noticed the card behind the spatulas lol

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

can't sleep because I'm thinking about the collective scream of joy heard through the world when he took the 3090 out of the oven.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I got a 2080 ti ftw3, as much as I love the 3000 series I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade, chasing that dragon could easily turn into a yearly event.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Kraftwerk posted:

Rough plan is an EVGA 3080. Upgrading from a used craigslist 1080 Ti from 1.5 years ago. Goal is being able to skip the next generation before upgrading, while being on 4k60.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Just confirmed that none of the AIBs nor Nvidia will allow pre-ordering.
You'll have to skip sleep on the 17th (or 24th) and hope you can skip the bots and DDOS to grab a card.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if a single site will do 3090 NVLINK gaming benchmarks lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Kraftwerk posted:

I was thinking of getting a blower card to pair with my 1080FE to get big numbers in Folding@Home, but looks like blowers are dead.

My plan now on what to buy us wait for reviews and gooncensus.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

BurritoJustice posted:

I wonder if a single site will do 3090 NVLINK gaming benchmarks lol

Count on Linus to do it at some point.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

How does the link bridge work with 3 slot wide cards. Aren’t they fairly short

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Can't wait to see the numbers on the 3090, though I can't see it being worth the price. I feel like I might end up holding off until we get the more reasonably priced 3080 ti or 3080 Super or whatever around 900-1k that has 95% of the performance with say 12-16gb of vram instead. But seeing as that doesn't exist yet and could be a long time off I might just cave.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The I/O on the FE 3090 is single slot with a waterblock so I can't loving wait for the hepta-gpu rig that Linus will inevitably build with waterblocked 3090s and this crazy EK bridge

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

shrike82 posted:

How does the link bridge work with 3 slot wide cards. Aren’t they fairly short

New bridge. If the cards support DMA over nvlink I'll unironically buy two to fit in my mid tower with WC

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kraftwerk posted:

Leaning towards AIB 3080 - ASUS ROG Strix (my last 2 have been these, and I love them). I could be swayed to switch to a diff brand depending on availability. Though I have budget for a 3090. My main worry with that is all the excess heat it may generate.

Also the good angel on my shoulder is saying "wait until the refresh comes out - most of the bugs should be worked out by then, and they will come overclocked/"Ti versions"", and the evil angel pipes up from the other shoulder "gently caress that! There's going to be yoooooooge stock issues with so many people that have extra disposable income due to the pandemic, get one while you can, or you'll be waiting until this time next year to buy some poor version brand FE that sounds like a leaf blower!"

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm very excited to either buy an AIB 3070 after reading reviews, or scoop up some sadsack's 2080 super/2080ti for a pittance. Coming from a 980ti and only just beginning to feel slowdown at 1440p/144hz (I play absolutely no AAA games, the only demanding game I play is Rust).

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't really want to spend any more than the prices Jensen announced today, but I can't help but wonder if AIB 2080 will be shorter than this. I could maybe see throwing most of my money away on one, if I didn't also have to buy a new case to fit it in.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol the people who sold their Turing cards before the announcement made out like bandits

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Combat Pretzel posted:

Jesus, the EVGA cards are ugly as gently caress.

The animated RGB thing is a web overlay. Here it is with all the lights off:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

The animated RGB thing is a web overlay. Here it is with all the lights off:

The cooling solution is so bad the card is melting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

0.27 is gonna be optimistic for me in Fortnite

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I'm an old fart that hasn't built a computer in 8 years, and hasn't thought anything about computer building in the entire time since. Why the gently caress does everything suddenly have glowy bits on them. And uh, can you get them without or turn them off? I have no desire to see the inside of my computer throwing a rave while i'm trying to work CAD.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm an old fart that hasn't built a computer in 8 years, and hasn't thought anything about computer building in the entire time since. Why the gently caress does everything suddenly have glowy bits on them. And uh, can you get them without or tun them off? I have no desire to see the inside of my computer throwing a rave while i'm trying to work CAD.

Gamers. There will be models from partner companies with more subdued designs like the MSI Ventus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

0.27 is gonna be optimistic for me in Fortnite

Ouch man... same but COD.

Or the same image but you only play phone games in bluestacks (thanks Eve echoes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I'm an old fart that hasn't built a computer in 8 years, and hasn't thought anything about computer building in the entire time since. Why the gently caress does everything suddenly have glowy bits on them. And uh, can you get them without or tun them off? I have no desire to see the inside of my computer throwing a rave while i'm trying to work CAD.
I’ve been watching a ton of Linus videos during quarantine and his obsession with RGB has rubbed off on me a little bit, but considering my PC is in my bedroom and I’m in my mid 30s now, I’d rather my tower be quiet, sleek, and stealthy like when the Fractal Define R3 was all the rage.