Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
rjd2 the dyslexic astromech droid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
all of the interesting jobs I’m finding are with startups. am I dumb enough to work for a startup again?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Management posted:

all of the interesting jobs I’m finding are with startups. am I dumb enough to work for a startup again?

Are you a bad enough dude to negotiate a non retractable signing bonus?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

definitely do it, and also offer to accept pure-equity compensation

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Poopernickel posted:

definitely do it, and also offer to accept pure-equity compensation

hell yeah. when this thing IPOs I’m going to be rich

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

should I quit my job while im in a probation period

on the one hand the money is decent and it's covid now, OTOH I have savings and I sortof need to move due to relationship reasons

also the code makes my head hurt, it's been written over the last thirty years (no exaggeration, well technically it's ~28) by a single guy and looks the part; I've not seen code before where the average symbol length is less than 3 characters, but it's not great

oh and it reimplements the entire C++ standard library in a way that breaks the normal one and there's roughly zero documentation or comments anywhere; there's also copious use of code generation in the build process and half of it runs on custom virtual machines complete with their own instruction sets for each given task; copious multiple inheritance is a given obviously. - that said it's all workable really, just makes everything take a long time

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lol today our new executive team introduced themselves to the rest of the company moving from a founder/ceo org to a brand executive team who wants to grow headcount and revenue 4X in the next 3 years

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

If nothing else you should make that other guy quit his job

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Asleep Style posted:

If nothing else you should make that other guy quit his job

I cant he's CEO

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

assuming that comment was for me he's actually a rather nice guy to work with and quite a decent and dedicated person

and he only comes in like once every two weeks anymore anyway, and doesn't really mind me changing whatever as long as I don't break things

there's another youngish programmer who works there, it's his first job out of school and he's only been there for 2 years

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 2, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Private Speech posted:

on the one hand the money is decent and it's covid now, OTOH I have savings and I sortof need to move due to relationship reasons

also the code makes my head hurt, it's been written over the last thirty years (no exaggeration, well technically it's ~28) by a single guy and looks the part; I've not seen code before where the average symbol length is less than 3 characters, but it's not great

i mean how bad could it really be-

quote:

oh and it reimplements the entire C++ standard library in a way that breaks the normal one and there's roughly zero documentation or comments anywhere; there's also copious use of code generation in the build process and half of it runs on custom virtual machines complete with their own instruction sets for each given task; copious multiple inheritance is a given obviously. - that said it's all workable really, just makes everything take a long time

ask for a raise and if they don't give it to you quit

don't actually quit just look for another job and gtfo of there

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

anyway who wants a product manager with a proven track record of success!!!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Private Speech posted:

what better time to do it? if it's short enough you don't even need to put it on your resume

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

don't actually quit just look for another job and gtfo of there

yeah that's sort-of what I'm thinking of

it sucks though because the people at the company are genuinely very nice, but, well, yeah

still have another 10 days to go so we'll see, if I won't have much luck maybe I'll stay

well unless I get sacked because I did show SA to the other young dev, but honestly I wouldn't mind massively either way, hence why im posting

VVVV

eh he's getting married this week and I think he's happy enough really, but yeah hi, and also sorry I guess

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 2, 2020

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Private Speech posted:

well unless I get sacked because I did show SA to the other young dev, but honestly I wouldn't mind massively either way, hence why im posting

Hi young dev! Welcome to the forums, I assume you're here reading the interviewing thread and recognizing the obvious description of your workplace!!

(also read thread title & follow it, doesn't sound like a good place to stick around long as a first job or really as any job)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unless the job is especially bad, do not quit until you have a new job.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

yeah the job is fine as far as jobs go, I'm not looking to quit right away but it wouldn't kill me either probably

i'm mostly shitposting about things that keep churning in my head right now

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 2, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Private Speech posted:

you should talk to your bosses and say that this is an unusual level of disaster and not exactly what you signed up for. they will need to allocate significant time for you to fix things before you can make progress. if they’re receptive to that, hanging around is an option. if they’re not, press “search jobs”

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I think they're mostly aware of that and very accomodating, as long as nothing breaks on the live deployments that is, the trouble is that every program (and there are many) is linked to one central library which makes it difficult to make any fundamental changes

the management is really quite open and accomodating as far as these things go, it's more the personal circumstances forcing me to move

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

probation period kinda goes both ways

go into a meeting with your manager all "hey so we're coming up on the end of your first 6 months with me and while you're all great to work with..."

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
when I've heard of people reimplementing the C++ standard library it's been for critical performance reasons rather than vanity

The Management posted:

you should talk to your bosses and say that this is an unusual level of disaster and not exactly what you signed up for. they will need to allocate significant time for you to fix things before you can make progress. if they’re receptive to that, hanging around is an option. if they’re not, press “search jobs”
what do you mean ""fix"" """things""? it works

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
To be fair, reimplementing standard functions is the sign of a naive programmer

To be balanced, the STL can bite the root and C++ is a garbage fire of features that apparently we shouldn't use because "Modern C++" (which is no true scotsman, and different at every company)

Cache efficiency? What's that when I can duplicate code over and over again in every compilation unit by #including this one easy header-only library???

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The C++ standard library is absolutely loving horrid and if you held a gun to my head and forced me to write C++ then I'm not gonna lie I'd be tempted

I have not had to professionally care about C++ since 2010 and god willing I never will have to again

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
and in conclusion folks, Bjarne Stroustrup is Denmark's revenge on the world for losing Iceland in WWII

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 2, 2020

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

stl didn’t exist when the project started lol

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

PCjr sidecar posted:

stl didn’t exist when the project started lol

right that's the main reason

it was originally for unix computers with < 1MB of ram, which explains the variable names too

it doesn't make it any better to work with though, mainly because of the lack of documentation. stl may be bad but at least you know where it's bad, here it's more like the linux kernel where reading the source code is how you learn how to use it

there's some exciting features like a binary tree data structure which calls callback functions on its elements when it's manipulated with, along with the obligatory custom strings, streams and networking; oh and custom threading obviously, which breaks gdb (well more like the other way around, it crashes after you pause any thread b/c it thinks its deadlocked)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 2, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way i think it is to be expected for a system which has been developed in isolation for 30 years to be idiosyncratic, and in my experience it tends to be pretty possible to figure out given a bit of time and patience (to a point where one risks getting stockholm syndrome pretty quick).

and as such i think the question of whether there are comments or the length of variable names is mostly a red herring for whether the op wants to stick at this job or not. because whether well documented or not old system maintenance in a presumably pretty stodgy company is not necessarily exciting work.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

that's about where I'm at now, once you get past the unusual parts it's not terrible to work with, still funny enough to post about

and there's some new feature development (it's energy infrastructure systems software, so not entirely unexciting on that level either)

still probably will try to look for another job, I'll see how it goes

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

company rejected the counter offer and reiterated their initial was as high as they could go- however they could offer a $5k signing bonus (which would be 1/3 of what i asked for in additional salary)

guess that’s that then

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PIZZA.BAT posted:

company rejected the counter offer and reiterated their initial was as high as they could go- however they could offer a $5k signing bonus (which would be 1/3 of what i asked for in additional salary)

guess that’s that then

thanks for playing.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

ngl i'm pretty shocked but i guess it's hr's job to minimize everyone's salary- not understand the actual market for competent workers with specific skillsets. i give it six months until our consulting is billing them 6-7 figs to fix whatever they inevitably gently caress up

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I am now being considered for a third position at a company after going a couple rounds for the first and second both (and a case study). Is this unusual? It feels unusual. It’s been like 2 months now

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Most companies would've stopped talking to you after turning you down for the first position, so it's unusual, but not bad.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Makeout Patrol posted:

what better time to do it? if it's short enough you don't even need to put it on your resume

You never have to put any job you've had on your resume!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

You never have to put any job you've had on your resume!
Pruning old jobs was something I learned about during my last search. After accepting an offer they began the background check and requested proof of employment for everything listed. Some of them were stuff like summer internships from 6 years ago for companies that don’t exist anymore. Had a good time rummaging through tax documents and making phone calls for lost W2s

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Steve Jorbs posted:

Pruning old jobs was something I learned about during my last search. After accepting an offer they began the background check and requested proof of employment for everything listed. Some of them were stuff like summer internships from 6 years ago for companies that dont exist anymore. Had a good time rummaging through tax documents and making phone calls for lost W2s

If any company did that I would straight up decline their offer.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've worked at 2 major financial institutions and they didn't have that level of reference checking [although fingerprinting was included]

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

BBH does that level of background check, but you're dealing with real sums/state/federal money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

ratbert90 posted:

It was for a company doing a lot of government work with projects requiring various levels of security clearance. With that in mind I thought it wasn’t that obscene of a request. Less obtrusive than the clearance process anyway. I wouldn’t think it was appropriate from some standard code shop though.