Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

This is a common misconception. Late-model LQ-based Silverados are actually sexually aroused by savage parking lot beatings.

LQ is gen 3, that gmc is too new for that. It'll have a gen 4. It still enjoys being rode hard, up until the cylinder deactivation system shits the bed. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Elmnt80 posted:

LQ is gen 3, that gmc is too new for that. It'll have a gen 4. It still enjoys being rode hard, up until the cylinder deactivation system shits the bed. :eng101:

DOD breaks on every one of those regardless of how you drive it. May as well just send it everywhere.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

GM didn't learn anything from the Cadillac V8-6-4 fiasco?

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

STR posted:

Yes, they did. There is no longer a seven-segment to show how many cylinders the engine is currently using.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

STR posted:

lol, GM learning? I assume this is a rhetorical question.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Colostomy Bag posted:

lol, GM learning? I assume this is a rhetorical question.

It's wishful thinking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GM learned it's a protected citizen and any time it gets in trouble the government will hand over a pile of cash, validating their fine tradition of producing garbage.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Second best answer.

antimatt posted:

Yes, they did. There is no longer a seven-segment to show how many cylinders the engine is currently using.

Best answer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hey guys, can you tell me why my LED light (one in a string) isn't working?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
All the smoke came out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ArcMage posted:

All the smoke came out.

Should I.... try putting it back in?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elviscat posted:

Should I.... try putting it back in?

It’s like a tube of toothpaste. You can’t put it back in. You have to buy a new smoke cylinder and solder it in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The "fail safe board" (switches between two 30A 120V supply cables) in my redundant IP power controller for my server rack, uh, exploded. (Luckily I bought it this way and opened it before powering it on, so I didn't lose any hardware to this. Still have not decided if I'm going to fix it or scrap it.)

It did not fail safe. There are scorch marks and metal splatter on the inside of the case as much as a foot away.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

If you replace the fuse in a failed computer power supply with a piece of wire, you discover what component failed and popped the fuse. Also fire, and tripped breakers, and just exactly how fast you can unscrew it from the case and hock it out your bedroom window. Ask me how I know!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

if that's amazes you, the interior is next loving level:

quote:

Don't worry, the guy who built it was an electronics technician in the marines.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

LifeSunDeath posted:

The more you look the worse better it gets.

The 2 multimeters really got me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

The "fail safe board" (switches between two 30A 120V supply cables) in my redundant IP power controller for my server rack, uh, exploded. (Luckily I bought it this way and opened it before powering it on, so I didn't lose any hardware to this. Still have not decided if I'm going to fix it or scrap it.)

It did not fail safe. There are scorch marks and metal splatter on the inside of the case as much as a foot away.

There is some things you shouldn't fix, and its this. Especially when your very expensive computing hardware will depend on it

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LifeSunDeath posted:

Don't worry, the guy who built it was an electronics technician in the marines.

That lines up with my experience. He might have even been the Electronics Supervisor.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Driving around Vegas...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

BitBasher posted:

Driving around Vegas...

wish they would bring back trucks like that, esp ones with the side loading ramp:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

LifeSunDeath posted:

wish they would bring back trucks like that, esp ones with the side loading ramp:

Ok, that is baller as gently caress.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LifeSunDeath posted:

SEKCobra posted:

Ok, that is baller as gently caress.
I would drive that without a hint of irony or shame in my heart.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LifeSunDeath posted:

I hate you for making me want something I can never have.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I hate you for making me want something I can never have.

this dude has one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY6X_603MMc

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

gently caress Leno

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm sorry but that's legit amazing

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BitBasher posted:

Driving around Vegas...

Execution is a bit lacking, but I can't hate the concept.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Exactly.
Ford had a pickup version of the Econoline, and Dodge had the A100 pickup, as well, at least one of which could do this:

edit: better pic. Gotta show the tailgate dragging.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 1, 2020

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Not going to like I kind of like the built-this-from-a-scrap-pile-behind-the-haunted-carnival aesthetic

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Noticed road noise getting louder and louder, decided to finally take a look.

Well, that inside edge doesn't look great. Other tire exactly the same.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Did you just install an 800lb bumper and winch by any chance?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

4000 pounds of bulletproofing

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

LifeSunDeath posted:

Keep going almost there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

There is some things you shouldn't fix, and its this. Especially when your very expensive computing hardware will depend on it

It's just a relay board with a couple current transformers for load monitoring dude, and I have several degrees in how to design such things, nevermind fixing them. It'll be fine. If it was a critical part of a surge suppression system or something I'd maybe be worried.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

rndmnmbr posted:

If you replace the fuse in a failed computer power supply with a piece of wire, you discover what component failed and popped the fuse. Also fire, and tripped breakers, and just exactly how fast you can unscrew it from the case and hock it out your bedroom window. Ask me how I know!

I had a fuse blow on a piece of test equipment, thing is, it's some kind of loving military aerospace specific fuse, so it's not available from any of the usual industrial wholesalers or electrical suppliers. My fastest option was to have a whole entire test box overnighted from another site the next day.

And a paperclip would fit so perfectly....

And I was pretty sure I knew what the problem was...

I ended up waiting.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
The HD radio.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LifeSunDeath posted:

I really wanted one of those when I was looking for a project car. I feel like I had seen a few maybe, and now I see none.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

monsterzero posted:

Did you just install an 800lb bumper and winch by any chance?
Hah, nope! And if anything I've lost about 20lbs since getting it. Weird, the old tires wore perfectly fine, these ones not so much. I have driven on some pretty crappy roads and hit some potholes, that's my best guess.

Here's the results of the alignment. Rotated front-back, we'll see how we go from here.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
https://i.imgur.com/eG95TgJ.mp4

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

^^^ that was driven in to the shop, wasn't it? ^^^

StormDrain posted:

I really wanted one of those when I was looking for a project car. I feel like I had seen a few maybe, and now I see none.

In 1982 I had a '66 Econoline van, an old Bell Telephone truck that I bought from a house painter for $275. They ride on solid-beam axles with kingpins, leaf springs at all 4-corners. Incredibly uncomfortable to ride in for more than a half-hour at a time.

But drat, mine had 275,000 miles on the factory straight 6 & 3-speed manual and it never stranded me once.

The Econoline rampsides were rare even then; I looked for one all through the 80s, but the only ones I found were rusted hulks in salvage yards. They were commercial vehicles, used up & tossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

PainterofCrap posted:

^^^ that was driven in to the shop, wasn't it? ^^^

the note on it was "They only came in for a starter"

so, maybe not, but not for the obvious reason.