Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Zeta Acosta posted:

I hosed it up badly at the beginning, everyone except me and the other npc died.

I didn't have the verbal skills to save Jodie, but it turns out you can just sniper the bad guy in the head to save her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Is Jody Bell a competent sniper? I know I need one, but my heart yearns for a sneaky mine with a shotgun.

Zore posted:

She's okay though like all NPC characters has some suboptimal point allotment at the start. I picked her up around level 13 which let me spec her into being a great Sniper.

Will add that W3 is far kinder with attributes than W2 and she isn't that badly slotted in the first place. Yeah she is cool and has cute bits here and there. Colorado Springs without her, The Marshall Kwon and Lucia would be far less. I ditched Lucia Wesson when I got a new and punchy NPC but she was great for those bits. I restarted but am planning on keeping Jodie around. The four remaining Rangers should finish it together. I count Major Tom there. The ONLY complaint is she shows up after you would naturally find a couple of ugly dolls. Just hold off on them if you want to truly min/max.

victrix posted:

I really wish I'd realized I could replace all my custom chars way earlier, probably missed out on a ton of fun dialogue :rip:

Just bear in mind that for the most part it's just flavour and nothing game changing. Also if you ditch someone make sure to check your pets again as you might lose one. Just focus on one of them and see if talk is back.

Pet talk: Does Major Tom get anything if you finish the game with him? How hard is he to keep alive? How's Billie and Jean in battle? I got Polly but man is he fragile. I like the bastardly birb but not sure I will get him this time as I dont want to see him die. Dear Fargo and co: please make your animal companies able to be rezzed as it would make me cry. Totally serious with this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DogsInSpace! posted:

Will add that W3 is far kinder with attributes than W2 and she isn't that badly slotted in the first place. Yeah she is cool and has cute bits here and there. Colorado Springs without her, The Marshall Kwon and Lucia would be far less. I ditched Lucia Wesson when I got a new and punchy NPC but she was great for those bits. I restarted but am planning on keeping Jodie around. The four remaining Rangers should finish it together. I count Major Tom there. The ONLY complaint is she shows up after you would naturally find a couple of ugly dolls. Just hold off on them if you want to truly min/max.

Just bear in mind that for the most part it's just flavour and nothing game changing. Also if you ditch someone make sure to check your pets again as you might lose one. Just focus on one of them and see if talk is back.

Pet talk: Does Major Tom get anything if you finish the game with him? How hard is he to keep alive? How's Billie and Jean in battle? I got Polly but man is he fragile. I like the bastardly birb but not sure I will get him this time as I dont want to see him die. Dear Fargo and co: please make your animal companies able to be rezzed as it would make me cry. Totally serious with this.

Billy and Jean rule because Goats get a stun as their special animal attack which automatically means they're the best animal mechanically with the exception of the secret one and the Honey Badger.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Phoix posted:

Barter is a good skill

Haha thats crazy

To be honest I'm fine with this Barter perk proc being insane. It actually makes the perk worthwhile

I'm loving W3 its up there as one of my fav games of the year so far. Its just a shame about the bugs and I do wish pre combat was a bit better

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Welp, lost Major Tomcat and a Clone to the the razorblade merry go-round in the warrens and didn't realize until it was too late to reload. RIP.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hulk Krogan posted:

Welp, lost Major Tomcat and a Clone to the the razorblade merry go-round in the warrens and didn't realize until it was too late to reload. RIP.

The good news is that

You can get clones killed as often as you want. As long as you loot the pink goo from them you can just make another back at base

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

don't ask me why, but does are insanely strong. also you can get a swole rear end bison from the bison ranch if you have 9 in the animal whisperer

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, lost Polly to that merry go-round. Rest in piss you surly bastard.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Zore posted:

The good news is that

You can get clones killed as often as you want. As long as you loot the pink goo from them you can just make another back at base

Yeah that's how I figured out where they died lol. Went back and found the pouch.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

So, when I first got to Denver Liberty confronted me with two giant robots. I fought her and critted the CPUs of both robots. They then easily killed her in one turn, then let me kill one of them before their CPU repaired itself. The remaining one could only knock down 4 of my dudes a turn, so I just revived everyone every turn and took pot shots with the people who could with their 3 AP post res (mainly my melee guy and my shotgun/pistol girl) and shot with my sniper who was across the map (I'm guessing out of range of the robot's gun, he never got shot at) and won the battle. Then I got the credits. Easiest game of 2020! so I ended up reloading so that I could continue with the rest of the story.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Can you do anything about laser tripwires? I'm running into some now and they don't give me an interact prompt at all like other traps do. Is this just another bug?

E: It was a bug. I could click on it anyway and disarm it but I can't see what level of disarming it wants from me.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 1, 2020

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Amppelix posted:

Can you do anything about laser tripwires? I'm running into some now and they don't give me an interact prompt at all like other traps do. Is this just another bug?

E: It was a bug. I could click on it anyway and disarm it but I can't see what level of disarming it wants from me.

This regularly happened to me with almost every laser tripwire in the game. It's weird!

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Phoix posted:

This regularly happened to me with almost every laser tripwire in the game. It's weird!

same. i’ve just been sending ironclad face first into them, if he dies, that’s his destiny

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Is Randy Gett supposed to be able to sell me stuff for the Kodiak?

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Welp, got to Union Station and promptly got that awful combat bug no matter what I do. Maybe this will be playable after some patches.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

deathbagel posted:

So, when I first got to Denver Liberty confronted me with two giant robots. I fought her and critted the CPUs of both robots. They then easily killed her in one turn, then let me kill one of them before their CPU repaired itself. The remaining one could only knock down 4 of my dudes a turn, so I just revived everyone every turn and took pot shots with the people who could with their 3 AP post res (mainly my melee guy and my shotgun/pistol girl) and shot with my sniper who was across the map (I'm guessing out of range of the robot's gun, he never got shot at) and won the battle. Then I got the credits. Easiest game of 2020! so I ended up reloading so that I could continue with the rest of the story.

This owns, thanks for sharing what happened. I got the same encounter, but I couldn't do a drat thing on jerk

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

deathbagel posted:

Did you get an achievement?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
0_0 Morning Star

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Zeta Acosta posted:

0_0 Morning Star

I wish it chatted with you more while on the road :saddowns:

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dont think i've ever read a review of a game that influenced my decision on buying it or not.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

BurgerQuest posted:

I dont think i've ever read a review of a game that influenced my decision on buying it or not.

i agree, on the other hand i need to read some reviews that tell me why should i buy vampires 2. the game is a hot mess

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Sometimes when I’m exploring an inside area I get a kind of “schwing” sound. It sounds like a success sound or a discovery sound (it might be the same sound as when you find a place to dig but it’s been awhile since that’s happened). I can’t figure out what’s triggering it. Sometimes it triggers when I’m moving around. Sometimes in rapid succession sometimes not.

It is driving me crazy.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

This Rally bug is kinda ruining my enjoyment of the game tbh. I've already given it to two of my characters and it's really irritating when the Rally guy is clumped together with all their allies and it whiffs on everybody.

e: Also, is it intended that pressing Escape or entering the character menu doesn't pause the game??

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 2, 2020

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I just found a skill book for a skill that doesn't exist. Says scavenging +1 and it had a picture of a toaster on it. Did not give me the skill scavenging or raise my toaster repair.

Also my char with animal whisperer is bugged and cannot charm animals but another party member without animal whisperer has the charm animal skill in the action bar but it doesn't work cause they don't have animal whisperer.

TowerofOil fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 2, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thread opinion check: First Aid/Mechanics on snipers? I figured that you would want your sniper to be constantly shooting, and leftover AP being spent on whatever small movement adjustments they need to make or Marking targets. Both of these rely on AP to do their thing in combat, which I feel might get in the way.

I'm mainly asking this because I'm trying to figure out a way to slot Jodie Bell into my line-up, and she's got like Sniper Rifles, First Aid, and Mechanics, all three of which kinda need a lot of AP to do poo poo and could get in the way of each other. Meanwhile a rifleman is in a much better position to heal and throw whatever gadgets they got, while a sniper could probably be better off having Leadership, particularly when they can easily get those boss kill procs and whatever.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Snipers take 6 AP which is kind of a lot to do anything other than position and snipe people.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

They have enough range they rarely need to move. My sniper is Mechanics and she pretty much always has the AP to toss out a turret or whatever after doing her one shot of the turn.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
There's a few throwable first aid items that still make the skill somewhat worth for sinpers. The emergency response quirk is neat too for extra movement.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future
So are energy weapons seemingly hyper powered when an enemy has them?

I was just fighting random robots and they one-shot half my team, who all had full cover. Scorpitron then used it's minigun for very meh damage. What is happening

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

BitterAvatar posted:

So are energy weapons seemingly hyper powered when an enemy has them?

I was just fighting random robots and they one-shot half my team, who all had full cover. Scorpitron then used it's minigun for very meh damage. What is happening

Believe someone in this thread did the math to find out energy weapon multiplier is broken currently and does not adhere to what's listed in the tooltip.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i put mechanics (and weird science) on jodie just fine. it means she can use a few energy snipers better, and it's completely ok if she doesn't spend literally every turn sniping anyway.

i find the deployables actually suit snipers pretty well if anything. you can spend the first turn throwing down two things and then on the next one get to a nice spot and start firing.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also regarding energy weapons, remember that they have 99 penetration aka they will always pierce any armor.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Amppelix posted:

also regarding energy weapons, remember that they have 99 penetration aka they will always pierce any armor.

Maybe that changes in the second half of the game, but right now normal weapons are just vastly outpacing their energy weapon counterparts. Even taking into account any damage lost due to armor mitigation, they come out ahead. I feel like energy weapons might break even on robots and synths though. It just doesn't seem like they fill their niche that well. Then there's the fact that all energy weapons use the same ammo.

In before everything is suddenly running around with 50+ armor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe that changes in the second half of the game, but right now normal weapons are just vastly outpacing their energy weapon counterparts. Even taking into account any damage lost due to armor mitigation, they come out ahead. I feel like energy weapons might break even on robots and synths though. It just doesn't seem like they fill their niche that well. Then there's the fact that all energy weapons use the same ammo.

Later game energy weapons can be stupid good, especially the energy snipers. The unique ones that invert their bonuses are also incredibly useful, the pistol that shoots cold lasted me through 2 weapon tiers before I found a better conventional one.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
In my opinion, the best sniper secondary is explosives - launchers have similar range to rifles so it doesn't gently caress over your positioning, and the classic 14 AP max coord + deathwish sniper build can fire two rockets in one turn. It also solves the biggest weakness of snipers, which is large crowds of mid-low hp enemies.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

are you putting them on someone with weird science? WS gives boosts to all elemental damage which mitigates the generally lower numbers quite well. i don't think there's much reason to run them on anyone without lots of weird science, though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Anyone playing coop and having trouble with ambushing? It seems like half the time they just don't trigger and I'm inclined to think it's the game being buggy, but maybe we're missing some weird system.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Amppelix posted:

are you putting them on someone with weird science? WS gives boosts to all elemental damage which mitigates the generally lower numbers quite well. i don't think there's much reason to run them on anyone without lots of weird science, though.

Yea my assault weapons char is also the one with weird science at a high rank. idk it just feels like energy damage needs a slight tuning pass. Give them a bit more damage, give the enemies more armor or reduce how much penetration every other weapon gets.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Wow the small arms capstone perk is absolute trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
I finally found out what the Satoshi guy in the Colorado Springs apartments was all about.

Nucular Armor. no thats not a typo.