Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Len posted:

What up same nametag buddy?

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Grand Fromage posted:

We have a kitten now after a long catless period. She is a young one (ten weeks) and a lot (we also got a two year old, they were together) and she particularly likes climbing up me with her needle claws. It has stopped being cute. Any better ideas to discourage this than just the old squirt bottle every time she does it? I've never had a cat climb up people before, I am guessing she'll grow out of it but still.

Lucky used to do this, and yell at me to pick him up to put on my shoulders. When he'd start to climb, I'd immediately pull him off and put him either on the desk/counter/somewhere higher that was also next to me or carry him around like a baby. They do it because they want to snuggle and be close and see what you're doing.

Cooking was the most difficult, to be honest because of how tiny kitchens are here. I'd generally put the computer chair nearby and set him in that and show him what I was doing, which satisfied his need to climb me and see what was happening.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Is there stuff you can spray on plants to keep cats from eating them? My dumbass cat still hasn’t figured out that eating plants makes him puke. He went absolutely ham on a plant my roommate brought in, I couldn’t even lure him away with wet food

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Grand Fromage posted:

We have a kitten now after a long catless period. She is a young one (ten weeks) and a lot (we also got a two year old, they were together) and she particularly likes climbing up me with her needle claws. It has stopped being cute. Any better ideas to discourage this than just the old squirt bottle every time she does it? I've never had a cat climb up people before, I am guessing she'll grow out of it but still.

One of my kittens has been doing this too, but it’s not to perch on my shoulder - he wants to attack my hair. So far I’ve just been picking him up by the scruff and putting him down, and also trying to catch him before he gets the idea to climb up me when I’m sitting or jump onto me from the cat tree so I can redirect him to chasing a toy or something (I know when he wants to because he starts staring at my head very intensely). We’ve only had the kittens for about a week now so it hasn’t been happening very long so therefore I haven’t been using corrective measures very long so we have yet to see if they work.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hello cat thread. I am having kitty troubles and made a thread, but a friend suggested posting here since everyone only ever looks at their bookmarked threads (I mean, I do that too, so makes sense...)

Hyperlynx posted:

James, light of my life, adorable, lovely, affectionate bag of cuddles, gets dry food every morning at ~8-9am and wet food at 6pm sharp every evening. It's been that way for years.

Between 5 and 6, sometimes even as early as 4, he YELLS for dinner. Meows and meows and meows, loudly. This is starting to become a real problem when I have to work past 5 because he's breaking my concentration. Other than that, it's just REALLY aggravating.

Yelling at him doesn't work. Ignoring him doesn't work. I've tried setting an alarm on my phone for 6pm, putting it in the kitchen, and simply ignoring him until it goes off - the idea being that he'd associate this other thing somewhere else with "food time". Doesn't work either.

To complicate matters, he has a brother, Wolfgang, who is very sweet and polite and only sometimes cries for early dinner. But I also have to watch them when they eat, or else James shoves Wolfgang aside and eats his dinner too (after he's devoured his own dinner).

How on earth can I get my greedy little bastard to shut up?

I have since tried a dry-food-dispensing ball. It did not work. He pawed at it for a bit, tried to jam his entire head through the tiny opening, then decided it was Too Hard and went back to yelling at me for early dinner.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 31, 2020

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I had a roommates' cat that had that problem, only he would wake her (or me) up early in the morning for food. She never found a solution except for locking him in the bathroom. He still complained and scratched on the door, but at least she could sleep.

So yeah. My best advice is to lock him in a room where you can't hear him when he starts crying. Sorry.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

My cat used to do this when she was a baby. Now she's a big old 7lb catte (at six months! How big will she get?) and doesn't try to climb people with her claws any more. What changed:

We clip her claws with a claw cutter (be careful not to cut too close to the pink bits). That made them less needle like.
We yell ouch and take attention away for a bit whenever she uses her claws or teeth against us. I think this is something cats just need to learn, but they do learn it.
She is now big and strong enough to jump on our laps without needing her claws.
She now has a tall cat tree for scratching and climbing. I can really recommend this, it seems to fill a need in her little cat heart. She already broke the hammock though.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Hello cat thread. I am having kitty troubles and made a thread, but a friend suggested posting here since everyone only ever looks at their bookmarked threads (I mean, I do that too, so makes sense...)

I have since tried a dry-food-dispensing ball. It did not work. He pawed at it for a bit, tried to jam his entire head through the tiny opening, then decided it was Too Hard and went back to yelling at me for early dinner.

My cat has done this for a while and has ramped it up now that I work from home. I'm thinking of trying out an automatic feeder in the hopes that he'll eventually stop associating me with food and maybe yell at the machine for hours every morning instead

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

explosivo posted:

"Motion Photo" modes on phone cameras are so good for making your cat look dumb.

Yup

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The yelp and ignore for a few minutes advice for the kitten is hilarious since I yelp, pull her off of me and set her down, and she leaps back on and starts climbing again in about three seconds. There is no ignoring possible.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Puppy Galaxy posted:

My cat has done this for a while and has ramped it up now that I work from home. I'm thinking of trying out an automatic feeder in the hopes that he'll eventually stop associating me with food and maybe yell at the machine for hours every morning instead

Either this or locking them in a bathroom with water when they wake you up is the way to go.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

pidan posted:

I'm pretty sure this can happen, it happens in people after all. The two big possibilities I see are:
- her mouth or nose is also irritated and eating is uncomfortable for her
- she has some sort of fever and is lethargic because of it

Either way I'd see a vet, but as long as she's eating and drinking a bit, I think it's fine to wait until tomorrow.

phew alright. Well we got the call from the vet and she has a mild case of cat herpes. so we got the lysine paste we gotta give her twice a day and it should go away. Guess its pretty common for cats and she seems to be doing better today. Also found out she's 12lbs now (up from 9lbs back in November when we got her at 6 months old). She's a big chonker of a girl. Waiting on the basepaws results for her DNA test now and maybe we'll get a better idea on her lineage. She's either a snowshoe or a ragdoll is my guess with a mix of other stuff.

Friday

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh poo poo this looks like the cat toy of the century

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

it's this one on amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/Washable-C...8903381&sr=8-51

she loves tubes. she has about three different ones now, but the donut one (the one in the picture) is her favorite. Tho she is deathly afraid of the center of the donut which is actually a nice little bed. I've tried placing her in there and she squirms and runs, I've put treats and her favorite toys in there and she'll just lean over and grab what she wants to eat it away from the bed. dunno, cant be a confining environment thing because she'll spend all day in a tube if she could get fed and play in there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pictured: history's greatest monster.

She does NOT care for being squirt bottled, which is good. If she was one of those cats who doesn't mind it I was going to be out of options.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Grand Fromage posted:

The yelp and ignore for a few minutes advice for the kitten is hilarious since I yelp, pull her off of me and set her down, and she leaps back on and starts climbing again in about three seconds. There is no ignoring possible.

This is how Lychee is, and the bigger she gets the more messed up my petting hand is looking. Which means it's time to go nuclear and bust out the compressed air.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Grand Fromage posted:

Pictured: history's greatest monster.

She does NOT care for being squirt bottled, which is good. If she was one of those cats who doesn't mind it I was going to be out of options.

But she is perfect

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

BrainDance posted:

This is how Lychee is, and the bigger she gets the more messed up my petting hand is looking. Which means it's time to go nuclear and bust out the compressed air.

I've graduated to wearing two pairs of sweatpants which provides decent protection. When she climbs my leg I give her a squirt, if she sits next to me and mews I pick her up and put her on my lap. Hopefully she will get the message.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I realised it would probably be difficult for James to get the food out of the ball since I didn't fill it up very far. He'd have to tip it over completely.

So, today when he started up I tried again with the ball filled right up to its middle.

Aaaaand his solution to this is to stick his tongue through the hole and lap up kibble, then complain at me when he can't reach any more. :roflolmao:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

dorium posted:

it's this one on amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/Washable-C...8903381&sr=8-51

she loves tubes. she has about three different ones now, but the donut one (the one in the picture) is her favorite. Tho she is deathly afraid of the center of the donut which is actually a nice little bed. I've tried placing her in there and she squirms and runs, I've put treats and her favorite toys in there and she'll just lean over and grab what she wants to eat it away from the bed. dunno, cant be a confining environment thing because she'll spend all day in a tube if she could get fed and play in there.

In a year or two that will be her favourite spot

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I just can't with this kitten

She's amazingly polite with her paws, but did slash the poo poo out of my fingers when I had chicken, also her hyper ness is very tolerable, she bothers the other cats only a little bit

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 1, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Training day two: me touching the squirt bottle is enough to send her fleeing. I put her on my lap and she climbed up to my shoulder as she does, but this time without claws. Surprising level of success so far!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Just a quick note before I try to catch up on the previous 200 plus posts. I had asked for advise introducing a younger brother to our kitty. Great news! Charlie has been here for a little over a week, and he is getting along wonderfully with Petey! They wrassle, chase each other, even groom each other and snuggle. Yesterday, even though I gave each one their own bowl of wet food, they wanted to eat together from the same one!
I do keep Charlie in the bedroom with me when I want to sleep, and have to separate the boys on occasion, mostly when Petey gets riled right up, and a bit too rough. He has a 7 pound weight advantage on the little dude.
It's also hilarious to see a 9 week old, 2 lb fluffball pounce from above, and put the run on a 7 month old, 9 lb monster.

Looking up cat growth charts, and Petey has been off the top of the chart for a while, and it looks like he might keep growing potentially up to 18 months (has some ragdoll in him). We're going to have a couple garden tigers on our hands.

Imagine I posted a kitty pile pic here, because imgur is not cooperating.

Grand Fromage, just wear Carhartt pants and embrace the love.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DarkHorse posted:

She's amazingly polite with her paws, but did slash the poo poo out of my fingers when I had chicken, also her hyper ness is very tolerable, she bothers the other cats only a little bit

Wanna pet that belly even if it's a trap.

We dropped down to one litterbox, just the robot, and came home from work yesterday and didn't smell or spot anything outside of the box. Still haven't actually observed Bean use it though

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

Wanna pet that belly even if it's a trap.

We dropped down to one litterbox, just the robot, and came home from work yesterday and didn't smell or spot anything outside of the box. Still haven't actually observed Bean use it though

That's the amazing thing, it's (usually) not a trap! She likes tummy rubs :kimchi:

Edit: she is Very Longge

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 1, 2020

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Visual confirmation of Bean using the Robot, NEVER SCOOP AGAIN

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Len posted:

Visual confirmation of Bean using the Robot, NEVER SCOOP AGAIN

If you ever bet nostalgic, I can come over and poop in a box for yah. Might cost :10bux: , though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

B33rChiller posted:

If you ever bet nostalgic, I can come over and poop in a box for yah. Might cost :10bux: , though.

The next step is getting rear end in a top hat to not drive into the box when it cycles. He's really not okay with it taking his poop

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

:toot: soon you'll wonder how you ever did something as gauche as manually lift cat turds out of the litter

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I don't understand why cats sleep like this, but thank god cats sleep like this.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Cat knows my car and comes to greet me

https://i.imgur.com/bLWW0Rc.mp4

He's also getting pretty big, like I need to give him more food :|

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

DarkHorse posted:

That's the amazing thing, it's (usually) not a trap! She likes tummy rubs :kimchi:

Edit: she is Very Longge

Wow she’s a kitten! She’s long, she may end up being a big gurl too.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Speaking of cats sleeping in adorable positions, I finally managed to get some photos of Cinnamon lying on her back for belly rubs like a big furry puddle and then... she fell asleep like that.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Tape trip report: worked well on the TV unit - Peanut no longer jumps up and attacks all the moving objects in my cricket video game, so that's good.

Less successful on the kitchen counters, where I have found Peanut solving the problem of the sticky surface by sitting on top of the microwave or toaster (!), and Maple's just like

(from here, love Nedroid)

so that didn't go so well.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A gud catte morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Turns out she does not like the maple flavored medication paste for her condition