Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Bad: DebbiesKids.jpg

Good: Shedding clothes may raise attraction enough to circumvent being gay so i can have a kid

edit: if your are curious the option to disrobe presents itself if you are a Lunatic on the event where you buy royal clothes.

edit2: ha! It worked! pregnant! Its mine i swear.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I got destroyed in my very first battle, maybe I should have played the tutorial

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Baron Porkface posted:

How do I attach armies?

Also wondering about this on new page. Would be nice to not have to micromanage so much to follow allies around when helping them war it out.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This is my first Paradox game and I expected to be confused but I'm confused in a pretty weird way because of how little resistance there is to the player in the tutorial start.

I trivially formed Ireland by sending my bishop to fabricate a claim county by county and smashing it with my army. Then the last few areas I hadn't conquered begged to be my vassals but the game explained to me that this isn't ideal because I'm not really "supposed" to be their liege. I suppose I could have fixed this by FABRICATING MORE CLAIMS, which seems like a weirdly all powerful button. But would it also have worked if I intermarried someone in my family with someone in these other counties and then appointed them ruler of that area but also have them report to me as king? Is that a thing? I think I need some kind of explanation on how the hierarchy works.

Is the game supposed to be this easy or is just because I'm on the tutorial start? Should I start over as someone else? I feel like having obstacles in my way is how I learn a game (by surpassing them) and there's none so far.

Biggest pet peeve with actual UI so far is how often it tells me to go some part of the UI but not HOW. It's like "Check out Control in the domain tab" but nowhere does it say which area is the domain tab (I know where its now). Or it's like: don't attack this dude, there's a truce! But nothing in the tooltip or the encyclopedia explains where to find truce details. Also someone died in my dungeon and I didn't even know they were in there. Seems historically accurate though.

I can tell I am going to like this game as I'm still thinking about it a couple of hours later.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Oh another feature I miss is that it no longer lists the gods of your faith anywhere I can see. I liked that little detail after Holy Fury. :ohdear: Hope it comes back.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

luxury handset posted:

now that i've lost a leg and an eye in battle, how do i stop my otherwise young and good statted ruler from getting further bashed up in combat?

Stop making him a commander of an army.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What's the ideal route to get CK3, Gamepass it or just buy on Steam

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

military seems just as bad as it is in ck2. AI constantly coming up with more and more troops

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Eej posted:

What's the ideal route to get CK3, Gamepass it or just buy on Steam

Gamepass to try out and if you like it, eventually get it on Steam when expansions start coming out and the base game is on sale. That's what I've been hearing.

Edit: Or until Microsoft starts charging 10 bucks a month when Gamepass leaves beta.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm sticking with gamepass because it's a net zero dollars for me. I'll probably switch over to Steam when the DLCs show up.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Anyone know why my Levy isn't reinforcing itself to its cap? The reinforcement rate is at zero. They're not raised. I'm not a war. Not running a budget defeceit.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Communist Thoughts posted:

military seems just as bad as it is in ck2. AI constantly coming up with more and more troops

They're buying mercs or started with better holdings than you. Or they have allies. War is much, much harder in this version.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Stop making him a commander of an army.

how!?

now that i've been cut down a leg, an arm, and an eye, and i'm wounded, it's time to hang up my sword and get down to becoming soulmates with my wife

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SweetBro posted:

Anyone know why my Levy isn't reinforcing itself to its cap? The reinforcement rate is at zero. They're not raised. I'm not a war. Not running a budget defeceit.

I've been having this happen and I'm not sure why, but it might be levy reductions based on vassal opinion. I haven't tested it to be sure though.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I just keep crashing on the main menu when the game loads up. I guess I'm destined to never play this series. drat.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

luxury handset posted:

how!?

now that i've been cut down a leg, an arm, and an eye, and i'm wounded, it's time to hang up my sword and get down to becoming soulmates with my wife

Click on the army and you should see the commanding character (presumably your leader in question) in the lower left. Click the character to choose someone else if you do have someone else to assign. I *believe* you can only do this while in your territory I think and the army has been fully assembled.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
how do you get gold

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ultrachrist posted:

Is the game supposed to be this easy or is just because I'm on the tutorial start? Should I start over as someone else? I feel like having obstacles in my way is how I learn a game (by surpassing them) and there's none so far.

tutorial is supercharged. you start with a big pile of gold and a bunch of free buildings

try the same character outside of the tutorial and it's a fair bit harder, but still not 'hard' by objective standards

ultrachrist posted:

I trivially formed Ireland by sending my bishop to fabricate a claim county by county and smashing it with my army. Then the last few areas I hadn't conquered begged to be my vassals but the game explained to me that this isn't ideal because I'm not really "supposed" to be their liege. I suppose I could have fixed this by FABRICATING MORE CLAIMS, which seems like a weirdly all powerful button. But would it also have worked if I intermarried someone in my family with someone in these other counties and then appointed them ruler of that area but also have them report to me as king? Is that a thing? I think I need some kind of explanation on how the hierarchy works.

i don't know what the tutorial said, but nah - once you've got enough of ireland (or any de jure realm) to form the kingdom, then at that point you can tell all the other suckers you are now their de jure liege lord, and they need to bend the knee or get terminated. getting enough land to deem yourself the High Lord of Suckertown so that you can rope up a bunch of new vassals is one of the primary ways to expand in this game. it's not about land as much as it is about titles, and what land those titles allow you to boss around

you only really need to play the title fabrication game as a count when you're trying to snipe enough counties to form a duchy, and then enough duchies to form a kingdom. after that other forms of expansion are more time and cost effective than dicking around with one county at a time

for this though

quote:

But would it also have worked if I intermarried someone in my family with someone in these other counties and then appointed them ruler of that area but also have them report to me as king? Is that a thing?

yeah, this works. you marry your kid to their kid, if their kids don't inherit the title outright then maybe they get a claim, which you can then press in war. for obvious reasons this takes a long time, and the marriage game to generate title inheritance and claims can get confusing. it's often better to just go to the title, see if there are any adult claimants already wandering around, then try to entice them to your realm so you can press the claim

quote:

I think I need some kind of explanation on how the hierarchy works.

so there's five levels of titles

barony
county
duchy
kingdom
empire

as a player, you can never be just a baron. you're always at least a count. if you're a count, and another count swears vassalage to you, he'll be mad because you're the same rank in the heierarchy, and he will want to be independent. if you are the duke of whatever duchy that county is in, then it is right and proper that he will be your sworn vassal and you his liege lord and he may be pissed at you for many other reasons but not because of rank problems. if the count is not part of your duchy then he might be kind of mad because you're not his de jure lord, but you are his de facto lord and you are a duke at least. the actual de jure duke may come knocking though if he exists

the same is true up the chain. a king bosses around dukes like a duke bosses around counts. note that the terms count, duke, king may change depending on culture - in the british isles, a count is an 'earl' or in scandinavia a 'jarl', but it all means the same thing. a duke in a realm with no king at all may style himself a petty king, but functionally he's a duke

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Click on the army and you should see the commanding character (presumably the your leader in question) in the lower left. Click the character to choose someone else if you do have someone else to assign. I *believe* you can only do this while in your territory I think.

thanks!

barkbell posted:

how do you get gold

depending on how pissant your character is, wait. see if you can go to the decisions and borrow money from someone. this has no repercussions whatsoever

if you're tribal, you can raise your army as raiders and go take it from some other realm

otherwise ransom prisoners if you get them

money is in general a giant bottleneck, by design. i think as the game progresses and you build up your development level, gold will come more freely. in ck2 as well as real life feudal rulers constantly struggled with cashflow problems

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 2, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

luxury handset posted:

after that other forms of expansion are more time and cost effective than dicking around with one county at a time

This is usually the point when I end up spending 20 to 30 years in forever wars. Never really been able to break through but I've also had a preference for martial solutions

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Also loving SIEGE HOLDINGS TAKE PRISONERS GET MONEY :homebrew:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's worth pointing out for new players that catholics in the 1066 start are somewhat slow paced and law-bound by design. if you want a more exciting, kinetic game, go 867 and be a viking raider or part of the african tribal thunderdome

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
only two complaints so far is that tanistry succession is a decision instead of a law you can pass and even after taking the decision the law page still lists your succession type as the default and one time my AI ally sat one province away and refused to reinforce my army that was fighting a battle it just barely lost

other than that the game owns

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Getting a frickin error when I try to play. I've had games from. The window store work before, not sure why this is acting up. Have tried reinstalling. Has anyone else had trouble?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
drat, seems like there's possibly not currently any way to change capitals?

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Why can my Irish duke in 1066 take more than one wife? It seems that polygamy is a feature of Insular Christianity.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Corbeau posted:

I've been having this happen and I'm not sure why, but it might be levy reductions based on vassal opinion. I haven't tested it to be sure though.

Don't think so since I don't have any vassal. Interestingly enough when I raised my levies and went to war, it reinforced to the cap. So maybe its just a bug.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

reignonyourparade posted:

I thought I saw the option somewhere on the holding panel.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This feels way more intricate and difficult than base CK2. I finished my tutorial playthrough and had to actually make my vassals happy rather than just steamrolling everything. Now to figure out who to play for my first non-tutorial playthrough. Any suggestions?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

luxury handset posted:

it's worth pointing out for new players that catholics in the 1066 start are somewhat slow paced and law-bound by design. if you want a more exciting, kinetic game, go 867 and be a viking raider or part of the african tribal thunderdome

You are locked to the absolute worst form of Gavelkind for way longer as tribal in this game than before, though I guess even feudal rulers are still stuck with it too. It's incredibly painful though to go feudal, you now need 5 development in your capital and ALL tribal innovations, which may take a while depending on your culture.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

click on the holding which is not your capital. two stacked panels show up

the top is the county level title panel, it will say County of Goonery

the bottom is the barony itself, the castle holding in that county. there's an icon there like an arrow pointing at a crown. this is the capital move button. it's the same panel where you choose to construct new buildings

Eimi posted:

You are locked to the absolute worst form of Gavelkind for way longer as tribal in this game than before, though I guess even feudal rulers are still stuck with it too. It's incredibly painful though to go feudal, you now need 5 development in your capital and ALL tribal innovations, which may take a while depending on your culture.

sibling splits just means more war!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

axeil posted:

This feels way more intricate and difficult than base CK2. I finished my tutorial playthrough and had to actually make my vassals happy rather than just steamrolling everything. Now to figure out who to play for my first non-tutorial playthrough. Any suggestions?

Everyone will tell you Ireland but the start has become a hell of a lot harder with the boat changes and AI changes. I started in south Africa next to the Congo and really liked it. Lots of neighbors to raid and you have a huge buffer from the Congo.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

luxury handset posted:

tutorial is supercharged. you start with a big pile of gold and a bunch of free buildings

try the same character outside of the tutorial and it's a fair bit harder, but still not 'hard' by objective standards

i don't know what the tutorial said, but nah - once you've got enough of ireland (or any de jure realm) to form the kingdom, then at that point you can tell all the other suckers you are now their de jure liege lord, and they need to bend the knee or get terminated. getting enough land to deem yourself the High Lord of Suckertown so that you can rope up a bunch of new vassals is one of the primary ways to expand in this game. it's not about land as much as it is about titles, and what land those titles allow you to boss around

you only really need to play the title fabrication game as a count when you're trying to snipe enough counties to form a duchy, and then enough duchies to form a kingdom. after that other forms of expansion are more time and cost effective than dicking around with one county at a time

for this though

yeah, this works. you marry your kid to their kid, if their kids don't inherit the title outright then maybe they get a claim, which you can then press in war. for obvious reasons this takes a long time, and the marriage game to generate title inheritance and claims can get confusing. it's often better to just go to the title, see if there are any adult claimants already wandering around, then try to entice them to your realm so you can press the claim

so there's five levels of titles

barony
county
duchy
kingdom
empire

as a player, you can never be just a baron. you're always at least a count. if you're a count, and another count swears vassalage to you, he'll be mad because you're the same rank in the heierarchy, and he will want to be independent. if you are the duke of whatever duchy that county is in, then it is right and proper that he will be your sworn vassal and you his liege lord and he may be pissed at you for many other reasons but not because of rank problems. if the count is not part of your duchy then he might be kind of mad because you're not his de jure lord, but you are his de facto lord and you are a duke at least. the actual de jure duke may come knocking though if he exists

the same is true up the chain. a king bosses around dukes like a duke bosses around counts. note that the terms count, duke, king may change depending on culture - in the british isles, a count is an 'earl' or in scandinavia a 'jarl', but it all means the same thing. a duke in a realm with no king at all may style himself a petty king, but functionally he's a duke

Thanks. This makes sense. What the game warned me about was lower levies/taxes from the new vassals which is explained by de jure vs de facto lord.

I think for now I need to write down the titles and matching Irish versions and put the note in front my keyboard until I internalize it.

Will it become obvious to me as I play what the triggers are for various cassu belli other than the super obvious ones I know already or should I look that up?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

You can. It's next to the name on the capital holding.

Game absolutely rules. Glad it wasn't released on a weekend or else I'd only have stopped once my eyes started bleeding.

Intended for a few quick Ironman games to lose quickly to get a feel for the game, so hit random character a bunch and ended up with the duke of Moray. He had an intrigue education so I tried playing to his strengths, which ended with pretty much nothing of value being accomplished and losing every single war I entered. His son comes around and he was shy and humble so I ended up eschewing his martial and going towards a stewardship focus....which quickly started getting me ludicrous amounts of gold from blackmailing people. And suddenly I was winning every war, unified Scotland and went crazy. And then his granddaughter inherited and I knew this was the character. Stewardship built up again and Scotland was quickly insanely rich and built up, which easily leveraged into uniting the Empire of Britannia.

I really love how different each character feels. And there's enough stuff and internal management to do that I barely feel compelled to conquer/scheme my way to thrones unless the character demands it. Everything just feels more impactful and meaningful.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
drat I thought I was doing well until I suddenly realized my smaller neighbors can field much larger armies than I can only 20+ years into the 867 start. Am I missing something? How are they getting such giant levies? I'm talking 2.5k stacks with only 2 counties.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Are vassals automatically building on their own or do I have to micromanage every drat County?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

You know, I hadn't really played Crusader Kings until the tutorial. I kept playing the tutorial after it had ended and was wondering when all the weird stuff was going to start happening and boy. Within a year my own spymaster came to me to reveal the secret that he had committed adultery, essentially turning himself in, which was followed by my primary heir dying making my granddaughter, who has the possessed trait my primary heir. She then turned around and began a romance scheme against me.

:stare:

Hmmm, Yes, I think I can dump another few thousand hours into this game

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ultrachrist posted:

Will it become obvious to me as I play what the triggers are for various cassu belli other than the super obvious ones I know already or should I look that up?

the thing is claims. you want claims if you're playing catholic. your bishop can make up fake claims, but this is slow and expensive (still much better than it was in ck2)

if you're looking at a neighboring title you want, click its shield. at the top right you should see a list of claimants, if there are any. you don't need to take the land yourself into your domain, you can also invite someone to your court then go to war on that person's behalf. they will then become your vassal. this is much easier than it was in ck2 because if you pressed the claim before hooking someone into your realm somehow via dynasty or landing then you'd just make a new independent realm

anyway, if you don't have any claims to press, see if you can press someone else's claim

you also get a free claim on anyone who is not your vassal but are part of your de jure realm. so if you crown yourself king of goonlandia, then all the associated counts and dukes better fall in line or you'll come to visit. if anyone in your de jure realm is a vassal to a different large realm, then you'll have to fight that whole realm, so be careful

a big one later is holy wars, and pagans or tribals can generally just conquer counties at will with no special reason. all this song and dance about proper land ownership is for stuffy feudals

Grem posted:

Are vassals automatically building on their own or do I have to micromanage every drat County?

in ck2 they build on their own, i think the same is true for ck3. building happens very slowly, because it is expensive. you can completely ignore your vassal lands the entire game, there is very little reason to ever mess with them on a per-holding level. maybe you'll park a councilor in some county to kill bandits or build mills or find heretics or whatever but that's controlling your councilor tasks, not caring about what happens in flyover county

one of the brilliant things about crusader kings as a design is that it eliminates the tedious micro endemic to the 4x genre. you always have to either do the optimized but boring busywork yourself, or grin and bear it as your AI subordinates gently caress up. in crusader kings, hosed up dipshit assholes ruling most of your realm is part of the core feature set of the game!

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 2, 2020

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
The game is good. I have one complaint, the 6 year old I kept in the dungeon for 10 years ended up looking like a pretty normal teenager. Go figure

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I thought I could do a cheeky Kushite run where I start as someone who isn't an OPM tribal chieftain about to get dropkicked by the Nubians and woah the price to convert religions is astounding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wheres the button to make ai ally units attach to me or something, the allied ai is terminally stupid