Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hopefully matchmaking is fixed by official release. Pretty bad/funny that people paid for early access and can’t even play multiplayer though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I’m not having too much trouble getting multiplayer games. Most of them aren’t full but I get 1-2 extra people pretty easily.

It’s only really hard to find games when you are low power level since that limits the pool of missions you’re eligible for pretty heavily

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I've only tried twice, but got three people in both times.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Every time the game loads I'm hypnotized by Hulks neck muscles.

Like I make it a point to look up from my phone and soak it in.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

So I went to play on my other PS4 and nothing was saved serverside. It’s all clientside. I had to upload my saves to the cloud from my other PS4 and then had to download them. That is a big no-no for an online game as a service. If that is how it is on PC I’m amazed there aren’t cracked characters running around yet with all the cosmetics unlocked and crazy rear end stats that actually make the superheroes be actual superheroes.

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Yeah, everything is still client side on PC too.

I would love to play more but it crashes so much I'm waiting for new Nvidia drivers as the final fix before I just refund it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

twistedmentat posted:

Its weird, like January Jones is a fine actor, just I don't know what they were doing with her in First Class. I don't think the director did too. Which is doubly weird because otherwise first class is great.

January Jones got done dirty by that movie. She was given the worst script and direction imaginable.

Everything involving Kevin Bacon and his band of goons dragged First Class down. It probably would've been decent otherwise.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Pleasantly surprised to see that this game does appear to have an assload of postgame content

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Apparently the word coming from people playing early (I know, LOL Games Journalism, whatever) is that the single player campaign is actually pretty good, so it may be worth playing for that at least.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Apparently the word coming from people playing early (I know, LOL Games Journalism, whatever) is that the single player campaign is actually pretty good, so it may be worth playing for that at least.

As i'm currently playing it, I can confirm, the campaign is MUCH better than anything they showed off in the lead-up to release.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

It's astounding to me that they both demoed, marketed and displayed only the worst aspects of this game at all possible moments. It's downright funny.

The campaign's a fun ride, it's not as well honed as, say, Spider-Man, but it's got a similar sort of back to basics, down to earth kind of read on the characters.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Unlucky7 posted:

That's what I'm interested in. Like seriously, MP is such a secondary concern unless its like something fast and arcady like War Thunder or Battlefield. Something I can drop in for an hour and have fun with. I don't care about rankings and poo poo like that, so problems with MP are of no concern of mine.

I guess if friends buy it and want to play, i'm down but its not what I go in for. I guess I'll see what people are saying on launch day about single player, and if SP has enough content to warrant 80bux to be spent on it.

stev posted:

January Jones got done dirty by that movie. She was given the worst script and direction imaginable.

Everything involving Kevin Bacon and his band of goons dragged First Class down. It probably would've been decent otherwise.

It has that problem that all the Fox X-men movies have where they know these things are popular, but refuse to actually do the things that are popular. Hellfire Club in the comics was perfect as it was, maybe you don't have them dress in 18th century outfits but you could have kept Shaw and Leland and the robot guy and Mastermind as the villains.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
The single-player campaign story is good but is let down by the overall style of combat and utter lack of enemy variety. The new enemies that we did not see in beta are reskins expect maybe the flame thrower guys, but you only see them for a hot minute.

Also, whoever thought that enemies spamming effect everywhere was insane. There are MASSIVE frame rate drops on the PS4. A few times it got to single digits.

There are no new villians....none. Taskmaster, Abomination & Modok that's it.

After you finish the campaign there is an option to join any mission as any character for multiplayer. It works just as well as the regular MM meaning it does not work at all.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I guess if friends buy it and want to play, i'm down but its not what I go in for. I guess I'll see what people are saying on launch day about single player, and if SP has enough content to warrant 80bux to be spent on it.

You can do pretty much everything in the game, including the MP stuff, solo if you want, the game will just ask you to fill in the remaining 3 slots with the other heroes that you have.

I'll throw in my thoughts from playing the retail release so far:

The campaign, like I said, is MUCH better than what they showed off. It's linear, but has a decent amount of variety to it. It's a bit annoying that the voice actors seem to have been instructed to do their best impersonations of what the MCU actors sound like..Black Widow in particular is trying SO HARD to sound like Scarlett Johansson, but it's not the end of the world. You'll need a bit of suspension of disbelief when you play..based on the game's own premise, the Avengers have been around for a while so this isn't their origin story or anything, and yet a dude with a shield can block Thor hitting him with Mjolnir or the Hulk hitting him at all. That's just inherent in a gear-based game, though, there has to be somewhere for the characters to go.

I haven't screwed around with multiplayer that much, but I can say that they weren't lying, exactly, when they described how monetization works. Characters/Missions/DLC are free, and each of the 6 starting characters start with their hero cards unlocked, and you do get back enough credits from completing one to purchase another hero's card when additional heroes come out. The vendors, though, also sell things for credits (read: real money) and the costs there are higher than you'd think. There are mostly cosmetics and emotes for sale, although the cosmetics you'd get from completing the hero cards aren't really the ones anyone would want if you're a fan of the character, there are a lot of palette-swaps, the ones you'd want are vendor-only. The costs at vendors are:

Legendary Outfit - $14
Legendary Emote - $10
Epic Takedown - $12
Epic Outfit - $9
Epic Emote - $5
Rare Outfit - $7
Rare Emote - $2.50
Uncommon Nameplate - $1

The "Epic Takedown" is particularly annoying, as it's your triangle+circle finishing move, so they're selling you an animation for $12. And so far, there's no way in-game to get credits other than to earn them from the original 6's hero cards, or to buy them.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 2, 2020

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

can you pause the multiplayer areas if you're playing solo?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Namaer posted:

can you pause the multiplayer areas if you're playing solo?

Yeah, you can pause anything if you're playing solo.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Legendary Outfit - $14
Legendary Emote - $10
Epic Takedown - $12
Epic Outfit - $9
Epic Emote - $5
Rare Outfit - $7
Rare Emote - $2.50
Uncommon Nameplate - $1

This is absolutely taking the piss for a retail game. These prices are roughly analogous to how much stuff costs in Fortnite.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Unfortunately, those are about standard for a retail game these days. Modern Warfare and other big games have some pretty nuts prices in their shops.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

if i get the regular version on steam can i upgrade later to deluxe for the fancy outfits?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Unfortunately, those are about standard for a retail game these days. Modern Warfare and other big games have some pretty nuts prices in their shops.

Oof, really? I don't play a lot of GaaS-style games these days, so I had no idea. That's so slimy. :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JordanKai posted:

Oof, really? I don't play a lot of GaaS-style games these days, so I had no idea. That's so slimy. :(

I'd feel a bit better about this kind of stuff if the people who actually did all the work benefited from it, but I really doubt the people doing coding, level design and networking are seeing any of this money.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Yeah, those are basically Fortnite/whatever prices. CD said that they did market research on the pricing, so they're a shock to console people, but pretty much what the market is these days.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dan Didio posted:

Even the emotes?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Namaer posted:

if i get the regular version on steam can i upgrade later to deluxe for the fancy outfits?

I don't think so, no. I think they've said most of the promotional skins will become available later, but I don't know about the deluxe or pre-order ones.

JordanKai posted:

A lot of games have felt a lot more comfortable pushing that particular, ugly envelope as more releases have shifted to a live service model.

RatHat posted:

Even the emotes?

I just mean the price range for cosmetics and stuff, not the particulars. I'd wager there's more than a few games out there with pricey emotes, though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JordanKai posted:

This is absolutely taking the piss for a retail game. These prices are roughly analogous to how much stuff costs in Fortnite.

And games that employ this model should cost the same as Fortnite does.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

stev posted:

And games that employ this model should cost the same as Fortnite does.

That's my basic problem with this model. When you buy something in Fortnite, you're paying for the skin, the privilege of play, and the privilege of people who don't put money into the game to play. When you're buying a skin in Avengers, you're just buying the skin (and I guess the development of future content, which you might not even like). $15 is not an acceptable price for a skin in that environment, in my opinion.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

It's also something where, I think in general, if you're going to ask people to buy into your little micro-economy on the promise of future content you're delivering, then you need to have some semblance of trust, and most people are doing this in their first game of a franchise, or in their first attempt at a game like this.

Like, the landscape is littered with games that promised ongoing support for years and couldn't do so.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I like what I've played of the game, and I can say that it's a bad look. All through the previews, and the beta, they hyped up the idea that you wouldn't have to pay for anything if you didn't want to..and that's true..but to completely not mention the things that you WOULD pay real money for, and to let people find out for themselves, was not the best idea.

No, no one NEEDS to spend money on the vendor stuff, but given that everyone knows that the game needs to make money to survive, there's this weird unspoken pressure on people to buy the vendor stuff to keep a game going that hasn't even officially come out yet.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 2, 2020

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The game seems to just start making GBS threads legendaries and artifacts at you once you leap into the Avengers Initiative.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Raged posted:

The single-player campaign story is good but is let down by the overall style of combat and utter lack of enemy variety. The new enemies that we did not see in beta are reskins expect maybe the flame thrower guys, but you only see them for a hot minute.

Also, whoever thought that enemies spamming effect everywhere was insane. There are MASSIVE frame rate drops on the PS4. A few times it got to single digits.

There are no new villians....none. Taskmaster, Abomination & Modok that's it.

After you finish the campaign there is an option to join any mission as any character for multiplayer. It works just as well as the regular MM meaning it does not work at all.

The campaign, like I said, is MUCH better than what they showed off. It's linear, but has a decent amount of variety to it. It's a bit annoying that the voice actors seem to have been instructed to do their best impersonations of what the MCU actors sound like..Black Widow in particular is trying SO HARD to sound like Scarlett Johansson, but it's not the end of the world. You'll need a bit of suspension of disbelief when you play..based on the game's own premise, the Avengers have been around for a while so this isn't their origin story or anything, and yet a dude with a shield can block Thor hitting him with Mjolnir or the Hulk hitting him at all. That's just inherent in a gear-based game, though, there has to be somewhere for the characters to go.

I like how these two posts are back to back.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Black Widow in particular is trying SO HARD to sound like Scarlett Johansson, but it's not the end of the world.

Laura Bailey has been the voice actor for Black Widow in basically everything Marvel has put out for the past decade, that's just how she sounds.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The campaign is better than what they showed off (seriously, the Olympia mission might be the lowest point so far, what a bold choice for a demo), but there's only so much fun you can wring out of a TR-lite with healthbars and levels on enemies that you cannot turn off in UI settings

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
Apparently there is a bug that bricks your save file to the point that deleting it and staring everything over is the only current fix.

If you start to fall through the floor and endlessly drop the game will eventually autosave you in that state. There is a workaround for xbox if you go to game options for the save file in the console menu and delete your local save (while game is still got you falling) it will resync from your cloud save. I don't know if there is any fix for ps4 or if this happens on PC.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
So are my old man reflexes that bad, or are the dodge mechanics poo poo? The time window between the red warning and a baddies attack seems to be awfully short. Especially since you need to do a long dodge to get out of the circle of death. I don't like that the heavy hitters, like Hulk or Thor, have to dodge and cannot block a red attack. Especially Hulk is way too chunky to get out of the area in time and it also goes against his character, this hero should be in melee most of the time.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

So are my old man reflexes that bad, or are the dodge mechanics poo poo? The time window between the red warning and a baddies attack seems to be awfully short. Especially since you need to do a long dodge to get out of the circle of death. I don't like that the heavy hitters, like Hulk or Thor, have to dodge and cannot block a red attack. Especially Hulk is way too chunky to get out of the area in time and it also goes against his character, this hero should be in melee most of the time.

Hulk has a dodge move in this game? What? If Hulk needs some way to avoid damage from an attack, it should be like a move to grab something big as a shield, not a dodge.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The short dodge for the initial tap has invulnerable frames that work on all red attacks. You just have to time them right, I find it way better than the roll once you get the timing down because the roll can get you stuck in places and the frames for that feel much worse and less forgiving.

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Hulk has a dodge move in this game? What? If Hulk needs some way to avoid damage from an attack, it should be like a move to grab something big as a shield, not a dodge.

His rage mechanic is the main way he mitigates damage.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

His rage mechanic is the main way he mitigates damage.

That makes more sense. Just the whole concept of giving dodge moves to Hulk feels so weird to me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That's the pitfalls of making a game about The Avengers, you have to establish similarities.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Almost everybody has a trigger you hold down to become stronger and block damage in exchange for meter burn. Hulk's version of this just face-tanks things. IIRC Widow doesn't get this, and instead she gets a timing-based counter by hookshotting onto a dude and tasing them.

I think Red attacks always need to be dodged, though. Uh, with once again an exception for Hulk who gets Super Armor on some of his attacks down the skill tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
I sit in a weird spot with this game. I want to shoot dudes with Iron Man, beat them in the face with Thor and smash them with Cap’s shield. I’m interested in the story and the expanded story they’ve hinted at with Clint and Kate and the new heroes.

But I also am not interested in the super jank that seems to be so pervasive right now. Hopefully they push another major patch before the full launch but I’m guessing that’s not happening. Trying to decide now if I want to eject and wait a few months to dive in to see if they are actually taking player feedback into consideration and updating the game / giving a roadmap / etc.

It’s not even about money at this point. Like, I’ve got four classes worth of college stuff starting this week plus full time work plus being a dad and I want to be able to take time off at night and relax smashing AIM dudes in the face, but if that just ends up being a few hours of absolute frustration right now then I’m not sure.